6A Friday, February 10, 1995 NATION/WORLD UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Red Lyon Tavern 944 Mass. 832-8228 THE BAHÁ'I COMMUNITY OF LAWRENCE presents KEVIN LOCKE IN CONCERT at HASKELL UNIVERSITY AUDITORIUM on FRIDAY, FEBRUARY, 10, 8PM FREE ADULTS AND CHILDREN WELCOME For more information: Marvin Shade 749-8480 Manny Shade King 749-8480 King Many King 749-8480 Kevin Lock, a National Heritage Award-Winning Lakota performer, steeped in the traditions on plains flute and a skilled practitioner of the Native American Hoop Dance, will perform at Haskell University, his Alma Mater, on Friday, February 10. *Don’t miss it!* Crown Cinema Quayle says he won't run in'96 The Associated Press WASHINGTON — In a sudden reversal, former Vice President Dan Quayle has decided not to enter the 1996 presidential race because of difficulties raising the millions of dollars needed for a campaign. Quayle made the decision late Wednesday night and planned to issue a statement late yesterday, said Mark Goodin, a Republican strategist who had been helping Quayle prepare for the race. Just last month, Quayle said he was definitely running and planned to file candidacy papers by Feb. 21. But in his travels and deliberations since, Quayle has found money hard to come by and got discouraged when confronted with what it would take to raise enough for a credible candidacy. Goodin said. "He was extremely excited and fired up about running a campaign," Goodin said. "But the financial aspect of it threw a bucket of cold water on his enthusiasm." Quayle's decision is yet another indication that the GOP field will be far smaller than expected just a few in the speech, Quayle promised a campaign centered on the theme he frequently pushed during the Bush administration — family values and the need to revamp the social welfare system. Dan Quayle months ago. In recent weeks, both former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney and former Housing Secretary Jack Kemp have announced they would not run. Like Quayle, both cited the fund-raising demands as a major reason. Now with Quayle out, three candidates say they definitely are running: Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, Texas Sen. Phil Gramm and former Tennessee Gov. Lamar Alexander. Others considering running include Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter, Indiana Sen. Richard Lugar and conservative commentator Patrick Buchanan. The other candidates moved quickly to praise Quayle and lobby for his supporters. Ralph Reed, the Christian Coalition executive director, said Quayle "clearly had a niche of 15 to 20 percent of the primary vote and probably 30 percent of the religious conservative vote. This leaves a huge hole in the field." Since leaving office with the Bush administration, Quayle has kept a relatively low profile while living in Indiana and pursuing business interests. He was hospitalized twice recently for health problems, first for blood clots and then to have his appendix removed because doctors had detected a benign tumor. Longtime advisers had urged Quayle not to run, suggesting he stay active in business or perhaps run for governor of Indiana as part of an effort to rebuild his image. But Quayle ignored their advice and delivered an impassioned speech Jan. 22 to an Indianapolis convention outlining the themes of his planned campaign. Goodin said Quayle was extremely delighted with his reception. "But he also was extremely daunted by the prospect of having to raise such an incredible amount of money." Because of the campaign's early start and a new, front-loaded primary calendar, GOP strategists have suggested candidates would have to raise $20 million or more this year to be in position to compete seriously in 1996. Judge extends Prop 187 ban until it goes to trial The Associated Press SAN FRANCISCO — Banning illegal immigrants from attending public universities may violate federal law, a judge said. He blocked enforcement of the voter-approved measure until it could be tested in a trial. Superior Court Judge Stuart Pollak's preliminary injunction was issued exactly three months after voters approved Proposition 187 and a month after a federal judge blocked most of its other provisions. Pollak issued a restraining order against the higher education ban the day after the Nov. 8 election. The extension of the ruling Wednesday will remain in effect until a lawsuit by immigrants' rights groups goes to trial. The trial probably will be in June, he said. Proposition 187, approved by 59 percent of the voters, would deny almost all state services to illegal aliens, including all public education and non-emergency health care. The only part of it now enforceable is an increase in criminal penalties for making, selling or using false immigration documents. The provision that bans higher education would affect about 14,000 illegal immigrants at community colleges, 500 at California State University campuses and 125 at the University of California at Berkeley, according to a report by a state assembly committee. Pollak said the ban might violate a post-Civil War law guaranteeing everyone in the United States an equal right to make and enforce contracts. He said the law had been interpreted by federal courts to protect undocumented immigrants. California Rural Legal Assistance lawyers argue that prohibiting illegal immigrants from attending public colleges would violate the contracts of current students and would interfere with the rights of new applicants to sign such contracts. But Lee Rydalch, a lawyer for California State University, said schools' relationships with their students were governed by state laws, not private contracts. Pollak also said that requiring schools to keep current students and accept new applications would cause little or no harm to the state because illegal immigrants pay full tuition, just like out-of-state residents. Two essential ingredients for a perfect date: A date and this. It's everywhere you want to be. $ \textcircled{2} $ Visa U.S.A. Inc. 1994