Wednesday, March 31, 1976 KANSAN Staff photo by DON PIERCE The University of Kansas—Lawrence, Kansas THE UNIVERSITY DAILY Vol.86 No.113 Dinner for 108 Wayne Edwards, cook at the Kansas Union, winses from the smoke at an outdoor barbecue west of the Union yesterday. Edwards prepared 108 steaks for a dinner party. Athletic merger plan postponed Staff Writer Bv JIM COBB The University of Kansas women's athletic department won't merge with men's athletic programs operated by the Corporation (KUAC) within the next year. That decision was reached at a meeting of administrators and the two athletic directors yesterday. Dehl Shanake, executive vice chancellor, said everyone involved in the university's numerous men's and women's programs were the best policy for KU athletics at present. "We the more we looked into it, the more we decided it was best for both programs not to do what we did." Marian Washington, assistant director for women's athletics and Clyde Walker, men's athletic director were present at the meeting. There had been speculation that a merger would place the women's program under the direction of the president. One argument against the merger was that women's athletics might have lost state and Student Senate funding. Women's athleticism on a budget of about $142,000 a year. Shankler said that he and Chancellor Archie R. Dykes had asked Washington and Walker to draw up a merger proposal. Since the two parties haven't met, a merger wasn't in KU's best interests. "We never really asked them to merge," he said. "We just wanted them (Walker and Washington) to visit and come back with a proposal." "We looked at what the problems involved would be and decided it was not a problem." He said the main reason for the decision was that the group thought both programs could develop more successfully as they are now organized. *Walker can devote his full energy to the men's program, and Washington can devote his full energy to the women.* He said that he thought the programs should be merged in the future, but that conflicting policies set by national organizations such as the National Collegiate Athletic Association and Women's Soccer Federation for Women would cause complications. "There's a need for common policies and coordination between those groups and others." Shankel cited different policies in financial aid for athletes, different recruiting and eligibility standards and the need to separate grants from grants to various men's athletic programs. "Philosophically, it doesn't make sense to go on and on forever with double standards. Eventually they and the University should have a moral rule that dictates right new when that will be," he said. Shankel said that he and Dykes suggested to Washington and Walker that it was best not to merge and that the directors agreed with the idea "Things will go on just as they are now." Shankel said, "except for increasing cooperation between the programs over a Hankel said the group that met yesterday would act as an executive committee of intercollegiate athletics to seek improved interaction between men's and women's programs. "We will work for the most effective use of resources," he said, "and we want to know we're doing the best we can in athletics." Stankel said the committee would discuss how the two programs could improve coordination. He said there were no specific questions about the option to upgrade women's athletic facilities. Washington said last night that she agreed with the decision and that she thought the administration was working to restore men's and women's athletic programs. A secretary to Walker said Walker wouldn't comment about the decision not to merge and that all information about the merger would be disclosed. Teddie Tasheff, student body president, she would study the action before mommy left. "Fat my off-hand remark would be the good things that could have been assured from the merger will be in some form now," she planned for the coming year." she said. A subcommittee of the Student Senate Sports Committee was formed last week to investigate the possible merger, but hasn't met yet. Jill Graubaugh, sports committee co-chairman, said last night that the subcommittee would now investigate why the proposal was dropped. Grubaugh said she was pleased that the two programs wouldn't be merged. "I don't think the women's program was ready for it," she said. Traffic board upholds increases The parking and traffic board yesterday uphold proposed increases in 1976-77 parking. The board agreed the increases were necessary to pay for parking lot maintenance. Hugh Cotton, associate dean of the college and board chairman, said after the meeting. Last week, the board submitted to the University council a fee schedule calling for higher prices for all campus parking permits. members that the medical and handicapped for he lowered. The Council will vote on the Cotton said fee increases were necessary for the 1976-77 parking services budget. The board net to discuss possible changes and a suggestion by council UNIVERSAL PERMITS would cost $50, blue and red permits, $36, brown and yellow, $32, green, $28 and residence hall, $17 under the new schedule. He said parking services funds earned for maintenance work this year had been used to cover deficits in other areas of the parking services budget. Several parking lots need maintenance work that won't be done without higher fees, but the city doesn't. Cotton said the O-zone parking lot, south of Allen Field House, needed to be paved. Even with the fee increases, he said, it will be in years to accumulate funds for that project. PARKING SERVICES wages will also go up 15 per cent for students and five per cent for others next year, making fee increases adequate to the adequate patrolling of lots. Cotton said. include a campus pass, which won't be included with other permits. One board member, Steve Chuckwich, Pleasant Hill, M., junior, said he was a graduate of the school. "I could see parking services going with no increases and keep running," he said. "I might involve some trimming, but it could be done." Cruckovich said the board had been formed to confer with parking services representatives to compose a budget. Instead, he said, parking services had sub-committees for the parking and traffic board and asked the board to match the budget with fee increases. By HM CORP Neighborhood store disappearing By JIM COBB Staff Writer Boarded and vacant, the buildings that once were neighborhood grocery dot many Lawrence streets. The small stores, once a place of community gathering, disappeared from American communities. Such businesses were sometimes called "mom and pop" stores because they often were family owned and had been in communities for many years. The owners were quick to extend credit for those short of cash. CHUCKOVICH SAID he feared the board was following a precedent of automatically raising the price of parking permits without examining the parking services budget. Neighborhood gossip was a staple of most of the stores. friendiness and many of the stores offered credit and free delivery. "It seems every year it's just been increases across the board." he said. But the changing, fast-paced and more impersonal society of the post-World War II years made the large supermarket chains successful. The chains, with bigger and higher-volume business, now have become the food suppliers for most Americans. Back in 1936, the Lawrence telephone directory listed 48 recipes with names like "Cooke's Help-Yourself Grocery," or "St. Paul's Cooking," and other folks." The advertisements were RY 1950 THERE, only 38 such stores in the city Today, despite the nearly doubled population of Lawrence, there are affiliated with national or regional chains. Turner's Grocery, 700 Maine, is the only neighborhood store remaining in business here. Its owner, Glenn Turner, 702 Maine, owns a business wasted for fishing supplies, not food. said most of his grocery sales were for snack foods. "The reason we've stayed in business is because we diversified instead of sitting on the ground." Turner's store sells tropical fish, aquariums, plants and live bait in addition to its extensive fish supply. "YOU HAVE TO go with the current," he said. The demise of small grocery stores was because small, independent stores had difficulties buying merchandise, city zoning laws worked against neighborhood businesses and the public was too concerned with bargain hunting, he said. People go to supermarkets because they prices are lower. Turner said, al- though it costs more, he doesn't A retired grocery owner, Charles Goble, 603 Film, said he had given credit to customers at Goble's Market, Sixth and Indiana, until he sold the store in 1974. Many producers extended too much credit, Goble said, but he kept close tabs on credit customers and lost less than $1,000 in bad debts in 20 years of business. Chuckovich said he could do little to change the proposal now, but that he hoped to make changes as a member of the parking and traffic board next year. He said another reason the smaller groceries had closed was people took advantage of charge accounts when they were able to spend more to larger stores when they had cash. DURING The World War II years, Goble and his wife managed a neighborhood grocery in the building now occupied by the Jayhawk Cafe, 1340 Ohio. Several small groceries were located near campus until the 1950s. scores didn't keep up to date See GROCERIES page 7 Steve Brown, White City senior, said he approved of the fee schedule because it was "well within our budget." City delays public funding action The Lawrence City Commission last night continued discussion on whether the city should finance such public improvements as streets, sewers and sidewalks in new 1976 yearbooks sold out; no more to be available Board members voting to uphold the $41 price tag on medical and handicapped permits believe the permits are worth the high price, he said. Mike McCollam, Jayhawker editor, said that it was the first time since the Jayhawker switched to a single volume of books. It has been sold out before distribution in May. Brown said all but 50 of the 5,000 Jayhawkers ordered had been sold. The remaining 50 are complimentary books for those of the administration and yearbook stock. Students who haven't ordered a 1976 Jayhawker yearbook are out of lock if they still want to buy one, Steve Brown, Jayhawker business manager. Monday. Before 1973 with the exception of 1971, the Jayawaker followed a magazine format in which senior pictures and listings of faculty members were enclosed in a cardboard box. About 4,500 yearbooks already had been sold in the fall semester, McCollam said, and 500 more were estimated for the spring sale. He said that the final order of 5,000 yearbooks had to be made in January, so that there was no chance that more yearbooks could be ordered now. The quick sale of yearbooks in the spring semester caused the lack of yearbooks, he Sales of this year's Jayhawk exceeded last year's sales by almost 800 books. To increase sales, he said, prices for group photographs of students in scholarship and residence halls were cut by one-third. He said that the strategy was that more people would buy the yearbook if they knew their pictures were in it. crease and the work of the public relations committee. Brown said he thought more yearbooks were sold because of the enrollment in Also, yearbooks were sold to seniors when they had their pictures taken for the yearbook in November. They about 200 Jawkaviers were sold in those three days. Brown and McCollam agreed that last year's book was good advertising, which helped this year's sales, and that yearbooks may be coming back into the college trend. McCollaam said profits made this year were put into the production of the book to make it as profitable as possible. Medical and handicapped permit-holders are entitled to park in special stalls in campus lots. Next year, the price of the medical and handicapped permits will also The bicentennial is celebrated in the yearbook by including old photographs found in the KU archives and an article about bicentennial events, McCollam said. Last year the Jayhawk made a profit of $2,000. After losses of almost $9,000 on the 1971 Yearbook, profits are now being made. The theme of this year's book is "The Student of 76." housing developments. But no action was taken However, about $2,000 profit will still be put into a reserve fund that was established in 1985. The commission opened discussion on its present financing policy to the public at last week's meeting because of the issue's importance to private developers and residents. Mainly, he said, the book will focus on the student Earlier this week, the commission held a public hearing on the issue and last night listened to reports and recommendations by city officials. The advantage of city financing is that the city is now able to borrow money at a rate about 50 per cent lower than the current 10 percent interest rate charged on loans to developers. Since 1973, the city has helped private developers by providing low-cost financing for public improvements on new housing lots. The city covers the costs of the improvements by issuing general obligation bonds, which are guaranteed by *general taxes* and bought by private investors. The money given by the private investors for the bonds is loan to the city and is then used for new projects. This loan, or the cost of the bonds plus interest, is repaid over a 10-year period by home buyers through annual special assessments, which are charged on the improved property and included in the price of the housing lot. The disadvantage of city financing is that if the developer is unable to sell the housing lots and the assessments become delinquent, the bonds are paid off by city taxpayers. The present amount of delinquent special assessments is $120,000. Although the commission didn't reach a decision on whether to continue the present agreement, the judge said it would. Clark suggested that the city continue financing the construction of sidewalks and streets, but leave the costs for sewers to the private developers. made a recommendation toward modifying the policy. Cark said the change in policy would lower the costs of city financing and maintain the city's control over standards for maintenance costs to keep maintenance costs at a minimum. City Manager Buford Watson supported Clark's recommendation and said, "We have never had very much political pressure to change the quality of our streets and sidewalks because they are of such high quality. Clark said that the danger of lowering standards couldn't be applied to the construction of sewers because the developer doesn't have the same flexibility in choosing materials for sewers as he does for streets and sidewalks. "If we dropped benefit district financing (city financing) in this area completely, then we might have added pressure from developers to relax the standards." However, a decision on the request was delayed so that petitions from people who favor the park and possible objections by local homeowners could be presented to the commission. The commission will consider Clark's recommendation and continue discussion of city financing at a public study session at 3:30 p.m. Friday. The commission listened to recommendations from Martin Miller, Lawrence High School student commissioner, and local motorcyclist on possible locations for In other business, the commission deferred for four weeks taking any action on a request that land be purchased for a motorcycle park. Caucus count Staff photo by GEORGE MILLENER While waiting to vote for delegates to the Douglas County Commissioners Convention, Lucile Smith, Kanorado freshman, watches other Lawrence Republicans cast their votes. The convention, the first step to the Republican State Caucus was last night at Douglas County Fairgrounds. See story, page 10.