2 Friday, December 9, 1977 University Daily Kansan Food stamp alternative proposed Gannett News Service WASHINGTON—The Carter administration won a major welfare reform battle yesterday and lost another as a special House subcommittee voted to replace food stamps with cash and to eliminate a proposed work incentive. The House Special Subcommittee on Welfare Reform agreed by a vote of 16 to 12 to substitute with cash the $6 billion-a-year food stamp program as proposed by the committee. Much checks would be increased by the value of the food stamps he previously received, and he could spend the money for whatever he wanted. The subcommittee also agreed to keep the two-tier payment system called for by the Bank of Canada, given the capable of working would be given less during an eight-week job search period than those not required to work. An effort to maintain the payment level was defeated. 11 to 17. After winning on that issue, the administration lost badly on another dealing with work incentives. The Carter plan provides that employees who have kept both benefits and salary up to a certain level, after which benefits diminish by 50 cents on the dollar until the worker is eased off welfare altogether. The plan adopted by the subcommittee by voice vote would allow the states to reduce benefits by 70 cents on the dollar. The subcommittee also agreed by voice vote to allow states to reduce welfare taxes. The decision made by voice vote, was protested loudly by the administration. "We think it will make the jobs program untenable," said a representative assistant to Labor Secretary Ray Marshall. House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Al Ullman said that, in agreeing to give cash for food stamps, the subcommittee committed itself to a sweeping rewrite of all the existing welfare system components. "The whole problem with the President's proposal is that it's a whole package," said Ullman, who opposed the change. "If you cash out food stamps, then you're not in a position to handle the rest incrementally." He says he would like to along with the whole administration plan. Supporters of the Carter plan said that was exactly the point. Without the food stamp cash-out, rep. Rep. Fortney H. Stark, D-Calif., "the whole bill falls apart." Sadat blasts critics before meeting Hussein By United Press International Egypt's President Amar Sawroday yesterday told a million cheering supporters that Arab critics of his peace offensive are "impostors and pygmies." Arab monarchs met separately with feeding socialist Arab presidents to try to patch up their quarrel. The Soviet Union issued its sharpest attack on the United States, calling for state initiative and said Secretary of State Cyrus Vance was in "direct contradiction" on Middle East peace. statement on Middle East peace. Sadat, addressing one of the largest mass rallies in Cairo since the 1970历死 of late Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser, said he intended to pursue his peace goals for a Palestinian homeland "despite the bungling of the PLO and its defeatism." Sadat blasted his Arab critics and remind them that it was Egypt that the armor of fighting in the Middle East under the protection of the LATER SADAT WENT to the Cairo airport to personally greet Jordan's King Hussein, who arrived for talks almed at the United Nations, Satat and President Hafexa assail of Syria. Assad, meanwhile, arrived in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, for talks with King Khaled and Crown Prince Fahd. Sadat and Hussein embraced at their airport meeting and smiled but neither In Moscow, the Soviet news agency Tass said "circles in the American ad-hoc state are trying to pressure hardline states into attending the Dec. 14 Cairo meeting. Greek shrines endangered by pollution. time ATHENS (AP)—An international conference of archeologists was told yesterday that worldwide support was needed to rescue the wounded needles from the ravages of time and pollution. "Whatever must be done to save these priceless treasures must be done now, with no further delay," said Green Culture Minister Jonathan Hodgson of the three-day conference. It is sponsored by Mexican drug prisoners return to United States MEXICO CITY (UPI)—The first contingent of American prisoners being repatriated from Mexican jails押被 their belongings into white duffel bags issued by the U.S. government and prepared yesterday to go home. A total of 235 prisoners held in jails around Mexico will return to the United States by Dec. 10. One hundred men, 26 women and an 18-month-old baby girl born in prison will be allowed to pay for their prisoner exchange treaty that will allow them to serve out their sentences in U.S. carry—was scheduled to leave this afternoon, right after the arrival of 36 Mexicans returning home from U.S. jails under his treaty, which went into effect Nov. 30. On their last days behind bars here, prisoners were looking forward to seeing their families and getting back to school or work. Even those who will have to serve more time in the United States said they could hardly wait to get on the plane. There are a total of 572 prisoners serving time in Mexican jails. U.S. and Mexican authorities plan to transfer 50 to 100 more prisoners in February. Greece and UNESCO, the United Nations Economic, Scientific and Cultural Organization, which in January began a worldwide war of words against former year-old antiquities overlooking Athens. About 95 per cent of the Americans in Mexican jails have been convicted of drug offenses. "These monuments, ... almost unparalleled in size, ... now stand sick in their place." Filippas says. "Fires, bombardments, incorrect restoration work and the passing of centuries have all left their mark. We are in fact calling for worldwide last hour support to save one of the foremost shrines to the world's present civilization." Attending the symposium are 100 experts from 10 countries, including the United States, Western and Eastern European nations. Restoration efforts began two years ago after UNESCO issued a report on the condition of the Acropolis temple. They are housed in the Palace of Phidias, a sculptor of the 5th century B.C. The report said modern atmospheric pollution that wears away the shrines' marble surfaces has caused damage over time and increases than that of the previous four centuries. The report said underground cracks and COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP)—A University of Missouri freshman barrished himself in a police car in a Columbia cemetery for nearly seven hours yesterday and then shot himself to death in spite of the pleadings of his family and officers. MU freshman commits suicide Authorities identified the victim as Brian Shahut of Bridgeport, Mo. Shahut, armed with a shotgun, had warded off police at about 3 p.m. and was taken to 2 p.m. by threatenment to shoot himself. At approximately 9:10 p.m. officers reported that the young man was dead. His death was described as self-inflicted. Police said Stahibhut's father and sister were at the cemetery when he turned the gun, which he had bought at a hardware store earlier in the day, on himself. In his conversations with police officers through the afternoon, Stahlhut said he was given unfair grades by an instructor on a re-graduation assignments for the university begin tomorrow. The University Council and Faculty Council meetings were canceled yesterday. Twenty-one members were present at the University Council meeting, seven short of a quarter. Council meetings canceled The University Council consists of twelve student members elected from the Student Senate, and 39 members elected from the Faculty Senate. The Chancellor, the executive vice chancellor and the president body serve as ex-officio members. Under the University Senate Code, the council is required to meet once each month during the academic year. A quorum of a majority of the council members The Faculty Council, required to meet in April and September, normally meets immediately following the University Council meetings. Members present at the meeting held an informal and unofficial discussion session. The next University Council meeting will be Jan. 26. Ride-on Liquidation continues water, earth movement, wars and looting were other causes of decay. It said bad restoration work in the early 1900s also took its toll, when metal support, were installed that contracted and expanded with temperature changes and damaged the marble. Police were parked in unmarked cars about 20 feet from the man in the patrol car, using the public address systems in the official vehicles to talk with Stahulh. The man responded by either using the patrol car or shouting through an open car window. Police said Stahlut had ridden around the city in a cab for nearly an hour before he asked the cab driver to take him to a hardware store. When they arrived shortly after 2 p.m. Stahlhut was holding the gun shot saying he was going to kill himself. Stahlhut apparently managed to get inside an unoccupied patrol car while police were talking with him. When he was dropped off by the cab at the cemetery, police said, he asked the cab STUDENT POTTERY SALE Dec. 7, 8, 9 8:30-5:30 Thurs. 8:30-9:00 STUDENT UNION LOBBY A woman who said she was Stahlhut's sister attempted to talk him out of the car and tried to drag her away. Protective bans already are in effect on overflying aircraft, bus and car parking and walking inside the temples. Nearby apartments are freed from using normal heating fuel as well. Nearly three million persons visit the Acropolis every year and their shoe heels alone were listed as a key cause of attrition. The city's 2015 price of entry the city to about $1.50 SIERRA SUPREME II Prime northern goose down pack with lightweight nylon shell, two-way zipper with snap storm flap, insulated hand warmter pocket套 with insulation, inside stowed drawcord wrist bag, adjustable cuffs and insulated collar. AVAILABLE AT: Town Shop 839 Massachusetts Selling something? Call us. Jazz only at Paul Gray's Jazz Place Jazz 926 Mass. (upstairs) TONITE & SAT: THE ROB WHITTSET TRIO Featuring: Rob Whittset, guitar. Formerly with George Shearing Bob Bowman, bass. Formerly with Thad Jones and Mel Lewis. David Snodgrass on drums. Don't miss this great jazz group! Admission only *2.00. Call 843-8575 for reservations. After this weekend we'll be closed until Jan. 27. See you then!