Section A · Page 8 The University Daily Kansan Tuesday, February 16. 2000 sale ends March 4th Universal Blends 1410 Kasold · 843-2773 Thirteenth Annual Blueprints Student Leadership Conference Saturday, February 19,2000 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Kansas Union *Final Registration Deadline is Wednesday, February 16, 5 p.m. $10 Registration Fee includes all program materials, lunch and a conference T-shirt. For more information, call the Student Organizations and Leadership Development Center 864-4861 Nation/World N.Y. policeman testifies in immigrant murder case The Associated Press ALBANY, N.Y. — A third policeman charged in the shooting death of an unarmed immigrant testified yesterday that he started firing because he was certain his partner had been shot. Officer Kenneth Boss said that when he got out of his unmarked patrol car outside the building where they encountered Amadou Diallo, he spotted Officer Ed McMellon lying on the ground. "Ed was shot. That's all I could see," Boss said on the stand yesterday at the four officers' murder trial. Boss said that he saw Diallo, a West African immigrant, in the rear of the vestibule of his New York City apartment building and that he fired because he thought he saw a gun. The officer, Richard Murphy, later took the stand and gave a similar account. "There was not a doubt in my mind that [Dialio] had a gun. There was a feeling in my stomach that I was going to be hit at any second." After Murphy's testimony, the trial was recessed until today. Boss said that when the gunfire ended — the four officers fired 41 shots, hitting Diallo 19 times — he ran to McMellon. "I grabbed him and I started feeling his chest going. 'Where are you hit, where are you hit?' ... He said, "I'm not hit." Diallo was holding his wallet, not a gun. Boss said he went to his car and called for an ambulance and police supervisor. "I use distress." He said. I was instructed, he said. Diallo's slaying by the white officers on the night of Feb. 4, 1999, touched off widespread protests about alleged police abuse of minorities and an appeals court moved the case to Albany. Officer Sean Carroll, the first officer to testify, claimed Monday that Diallo, a 22-year-old street vendor, fit the general description of a wanted rapist. He also said he suspected that Diallo might be committing a robbery because he was acting suspiciously. "At the time what went through my mind was that we had a fleeing suspect." Boss said. "It didn't occur to me if he spoke English or not, or whether he was running because he was trying to get away from police or whether he was afraid of the police." The defendants have pleaded innocent to second-degree murder, which carries a maximum sentence of 25 years to life in prison. IRA withdraws from negotiations The Associated Press BELFAST. Northern Ireland — Stung by Britain's decision to suspend Northern Ireland's power-sharing government, the IRA deepened the province's political crisis yesterday by breaking off negotiations on disarmament. In a hard-line statement, the Irish Republican Army accused Britain and the province's major Protestant party, the Uister Unionists, of ignoring its disarmament proposals. "Both the British government and the leadership of the Ulster Unionist Party have rejected the propositions put to the [disarmment commission] by our representative. They obviously have no desire to deal with the issue of arms except on their own terms," an IRA representative said. It was the IRA's failure to disarm that triggered the recent crisis, and lead Britain to suspend Northern Ireland's fledgling Protestant-Catholic government Friday. Hours after the suspension, the IRA suggested it would be prepared to put its weapons stockpiles beyond use in certain political circumstances — a euphemism for disarmament. That shift broke new ground for the IRA, but it fell short of the clear-cut commitments being sought by the Ulster Unionists. In its statement yesterday, the IRA said it was withdrawing the offer. Meanwhile, both Britain and Ireland were working to turn the process around. Travel to India for an hour - Serving Johnson County for over 5 years - One of the nation's top 6 Indian restaurants - ★★★ Kansas City Star and The Sun INTERNET ACCESS All you can eat buffet 129 E. 10th Street • 331-4300 • Carry out • Dine in M-F 11:30-2:15 $5.95 Sat-Sun 11:30-2:45 $6.95 India Palace Authentic Indian Cuisine - NO BUSY SIGNALS! - 56K Analog / 64K ISDN - 5+ years serving Kansas - 20MB web space - FREE e-mail - FREE tech support NETWORKS PLUS faster. better. smarter! 331-2422 www.networksplus.net UDK110 Everybody Scores! REGISTER WITH MYBYTES.COM AND SCORE BIG! GET A FREE SONIC ABYSS MULTIMEDIA CD AND AUTOMATICALLY BE ENTERED INTO OUR SCORE BIG, SCORE OFTEN SWEEPSTAKES. YOU COULD WIN AN INSTANT PRIZE! PLUS, YOU'LL HAVE A CHANCE AT $100,000 TOWARDS YOUR COLLEGE EDUCATION. score BIG score OFTEN Sweepstakes Podcast Up CLOSE trave. well SPEND LESS mybytes.com CALGON SKECHERS skechers.com OldGlory.com Your Music and Entertainment Source TripHub.com Your Student Travel Source UNIVERSAL MUSIC 6 VIDEO DISTRIBUTION No Purchase Necessary. Void in Florida and where prohibited by law. Must be legal resident of the United States, (except Florida) 18 yrs or older, registered at a college or university during the promotional period. Sweepstakes end 6:00 PM EST 03/17/00. To Play: visit www.mymytes.com and register for the website using provided confirm your contact information on the game page and visit Internet websites authorized and not licensed by site. Great Prize winner will be selected on random on or about 12/17/00 and notified via email and received US mail. Odds of winning prize = *Reward* Common Place, B10 Memorial Dr, Miami, MA 02139. **BLOCKBUSTER** name, design and related marks are trademarks of Blockbuster Inc.Blockbuster Inc. is not a sponsor of or in any way liable or responsible for the administration of this game. (*Coupon redeemable at participating BLOCKBUSTER™ store locations.*) © 2000 YouthStream