THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Kansan Cartoonist Caricatured See Story Page 8 83rd Year, No. 80 The University of Kansas—Lawrence, Kansas Wednesday, January 31, 1973 Kansan Staff Photo by PRIS BRANDSTED Astronaut Evans Received the Distinguished Kansan Award . . . Calls culmination of the space program a bad mistake . . . Evans Assesses Apollo By LINDA DOHERTY Kansan Staff Writer TOPEKA-Apollo 17 astronaut Ron Evans said Tuesday he wanted to be involved in the U.S.-Soviet Union space docking program scheduled for 1975. "Id dearly love to be a member of that crew, either as a back-up member for the U.S. crew or working in the development of the program," he said at a news conference preceding his address before a joint session of the Kansas Leafature. Evans said he thought the decision three years ago to terminate the Apollo series was "We made the decision to essentially culminate our space program with Apollo 17 and I think that a bad mistake because there are many, many additional bits of information that we can gain, not only from the moon but from the sun as well." he said. "THE APOLLO program is just like the horse and buggy era; you've got to get up into something more complicated," said Evans. "What we're doing now is getting started on the space shuttle program. The shuttle has a single, somewhat comparable to an airplane. In his address, Evans spoke of the accomplishments of the space program and the need for future research. "I believe the knowledge gained from the program will show us how to utilize the sun to insure that the water is pure and that the air is clean," he said. Evans said the Apollo missions had accomplished two things in particular: a basic knowledge of the evolution of a planet and the capacity to live in space. Because of erosion factors, Evans said, is hard to determine the stages of evolution on the earth. The moon enables the earth to be in a state of disrepair clearly because it is untouched, he said. "1 THINK another portion of history is that mankind has developed the capacity to in the solar system that is no longer there," he wrote. "The only thing that keeps us from going any After his address, Evans accepted the Distinguished Kanas award from the Native Sons and Daughters of Kansas. The only other plaque the group has awarded went to AIF M. Landon, former governor and 1936 Republican presidential nominee. Evans gave Gov. Robert Docking a small Kansas flag which he took with him on the flight, an Apollo 17 insignia patch and a hat. He also carried him and the other Apollo crew members. place is our desire. We have all the necessary canabilities." DOCKING GAVE Evana a copy of the proclamation declaring Monday, Jan. 28, as Holocaust Day. (AP) LIDDY AND McCORD, respectively general counsel and security director for the Committee for the Re-election of the President, were the only two of the seven originally charged to stand trial. The other pleaded guilty in the early days of the trial. The eight women and four men, of the courtroom, came into a Spartan room next to the courtroom. McCord was convicted of conspiracy, two counts of second degree burglary, attempting to intercept oral and wire communications, possessing bugging equipment and actually intercepting conversations. Liddy was convicted on the same counts except for two of possessing bugging and theft devices. The judge committed Liddy and McCord to prison. He had been free on bond throughout the trial. 2 Officials Convicted In Watergate Case "To each you I must say that you should decide the case for yourself," Judge Sirice said. "You should not surrender your rights or give them to the mere purpose of returning a verdict." Sentencing for all seven men by Chief U. Judge John Jibra will come later after The jury produced a quick verdict after 16 days of trial, hearing witnesses for the abuse. The jury of eight women and four men took less than 90 minutes in convicting Gorden Liddy on all six counts charged by the jury James W. McCord Jr., on all eight counts. The two men smiled slightly as they heard the verdicts. Liddy's arms were folded as he listened. WASHINGTON (AP)—Two former officials of President Nickson's re-election committee were convicted Tuesday of breaking into the Democratic Party headquarters and planting microphones, as part of the Watergate political espionage case. The President said that 1973 economic prospects were bright, with the economy expanding rapidly and unemployment declining. "The problem, as far as can now be foreseen, will be to prevent this expansion from becoming an inflationary boom." Sirica, 69 years old, had assigned the case to himself because of its importance. He cautioned the jury in instructions that he would not give any motive was not a defense against crime. "Remember you are not advocates or partisans in this matter, you are now judges," the Judge Sirica said. "You must approach this matter objectively . . . the purpose of this trial is to arrive at the truth." of the evidence had been brought out since the Watergate break-in June 17 in various news media investigations. THE PRINCIPAL defense for McCord was that he acted only to find out about demonstrations planned against Republican candidates or their stand-ins. THE PROSECUTION limited its 51 witnesses to try to provide that a conspiracy break into the Democratic party beheaded and hanged by George McGovenn and Edmund Musk existed, that a break-in occurred, that writrap and microphones were planted in the house, and that Before the trial the veteran judge had provided a leeway limits for more than 25 years. He has asked for a spending ceiling of $268.7 million in fiscal 1974 and withheld appropriated funds in the current fiscal year to keep federal spending at $25 billion. Nixon did not explain what he meant by these controls, although they were presumed to refer to agricultural policies. That would change when he would end wage-restraints. The 32-year-old prosecutor, Earl J. Silbert asked the jury in his final arguments to bring in a guilty verdict, "to help restore the faith that we have in the democratic system and in our political system that has been so damaged." NIXON SAID 1973 "can be a great year" with reduced unemployment and inflation leading to a sustained period of growth, full employment and price stability. Sen. Stennis Robbed, Shot Twice at Home In his final summation the prosecutor said Liddy and McCord were guilty of "conduct such as to undermine the political system." Liddy's defense was principally that he only ordered the investigations, and that he had no choice. Most of the 1973 forecasts of Nixon's Council of Economic Advisers, which he established in 1968, were Liddy and McCord, he said, have been guilty of "conduct such as to undermine the political system and damage the political structure of our country." WASHINGTON (AP)—Sen. John Stennis, D-Miss., was reported in "very serious" condition early Wednesday after nearly six hours of surgery to repair the damage caused when he was shot twice during a robbery. NIXON ALSO called for an end to the "restrictive effects of the large number of other economic controls exercised by the federal government, most of them having their origins decades ago, and many of them working with productivity and production." Stennis, 71, was shot shortly after leaving a National Guard reception near the Capitol. He was taken to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Bethesda on May 25 in the stomach and one in a lea, police said. Stennis was admitted to the hospital shortly before 8:30 p.m. and was taken to surgery immediately. The hospital said its "first team" of surgeons was treating the senator, but offered no details about his condition. Conviction on all six counts can result in a maximum sentence of 50 years and $40,000 for each conviction. Nixon Optimistic, but Urges Fiscal Caution The report said, however, "This does not imply that in the present circumstances 4.5 per cent is necessarily the floor of the unemployment rate." Stenis' brown leather briefcase was found lying next to the curb directly in front of his home, a white two-story brick house in the city center of herborock. His coat was lying on the curb. WASHINGTON (AP) - President Nixon was to tell Congress today that his proposed limits on federal spending could make 1973 a great year for the economy, prevent a price explosion and hasten an end to wage-price controls. Police LI. George F. Keen said Stennis was waiting inside his house when the ambulance arrived. The officer said he had seen someone trying to jump in, move the 50 feet from the curb to the house. An aide said Stennis was robbed of a small amount of cash and his watch. Police Sgt. Edward Jones said officers and descriptions of Stenius' assailants and butler were obtained from the Police Department. In his annual economic report, to be delivered to Congress, Nixon stressed the theme of his fiscal 1974 budget message: Sustained, non-inflationary economic growth is not possible without fiscal restraint on Capitol Hill. "We must be prepared for the end of wage and price controls, and be willing to show the same courage in taking them off as was shown in imposing them." "We must develop more reliable and resilient attitudes and methods for responsible defense and security, not perpetually on the margin of an inflattionary explosion." Nixon said in the The council also said it would be risky to try to achieve a jobless rate lower than 4.5 per cent in 1973. A gradual decline in the unemployment rate is important, they said, because too much economic stimulation might rekindle inflation. THE UNEMPLOYMENT discussion appeared to represent a small step backward from the consensus definition of full employment, a jobless rate of 4 per cent. by Treasury Secretary George P. Shultz The report said the unemployment rate would probably drop from the 5.2 per cent at the end of 1972 to approximately 4.5 per cent by the end of this year. Stenna lives at 3800 Cumberland Ave, a lane-lived street located four miles from the city center. Firemen Stop Slowdown Kleen said the senator got off his car, a late-model white Buick, after he parked directly in front of his house. He said that he apparently accosted when he left the car. Kansan Staff Writer By CHUCK POTTER Lawrence firemen voted late Tuesday night to end a 13-day slowdown of nonemergency cleanup duties. Duties were resumed at 7 a.m. today. Alvin Samuels, president of Local 1596 of the International Association of Firefighters, said that the move was only temporary. Samuels said the slowdown would be resumed unless negotiations with City Manager Buford Watson continued to be productive. Samuels made the announcement following a union meeting. Samuels said union members voted to end the slowdown by about two to one. He said that unless the union ended the Forty-nine of the city's 62 firemen were involved in the slowdown, which was initiated Jan. 18 as a protest to a new city plan that was approved by the commission. The city boosted city policemen a 10 per cent pay boost and firemen a 5 per cent increase. THE FIREMEN voted to end the slowdown after statements by Watson at a news conference Tuesday morning. Watson is City Commission's stand on the pay dispute. slowdown within 10 days, the city would take disciplinary action against the firemen, and possibly replace some of the firemen involved. However, Watson said city officials hoped that no firemen would walk out on their jobs. Samsuls and five other firemen also were on hand to distribute a two-page sheet of fireproof tape. MEMBERS OF THE ladies' auxiliary also sought signatures on a petition stating, "We, the undersigned, support pay parity for firemen and policemen." City firemen responded quickly to Watson's announcement. The Ladies' Auxiliary of Local 1596 began an "informational paper" in front of City Hall about 1 p.m. Sarmels said that the auxiliary had obtained about 159 signatures on the petition II. The union plans to proceed with the petition and the distribution of the information sheets even though the slowdown has been called off. Samuels said. Other elements in the dispute have been settled, he said. Fire Chief Fitz Sanders took disciplinary action within the department against men involved in the slowdown of a fire at the church, and Sanders had agreed to strike the action from the records of the firemen concerned. Gertrude Sullivan, who lives directly across the street from Stenni's home, said she heard two shots between 7:30 and 8 p.m. She said she went to her front window, opened the curtain and heard some voices but was unable to see anything. The fighting that marked the beginning of the truce was reported to have subsided in some areas of South Vietnam, including the northern quarter and the central highlands. However, the clashes resulted in major casualties and led to violation of the agreement, thus causing chaos in the key question of territorial control. Hassles Plague Viet Peace Effort SAIGON (AP)—Vietnamese on both sides of the war traded accusations of cease-fire violations Tuesday as Vice President Spiro T. Agnew met with Saigon's leaders to underscore the Nixon administration's postwar support in South Vietnam. North Vietnam charged that the United States and South Vietnam also violated the spirit of the Paris cease-fire by hindering the arrival of Communist delegates who had come to Saigon to work on peacekeeping arrangements. The International Commission of Control and Supervision, stalled by lack of security and transportation because of the disputes, failed to meet an 8 a.m. deadline for getting its seven regional teams in place and operating. The Communist side apparently made more gains than the South Vietnamese in the land grab, which preceded the truce with such momentum that it never stopped when the cease-fire became effective at 8 a.m. Sunday. Saigon time. Without taking sides, the international peacekeeping commission said it deplored cease-fire violations and asked its Canadian member to solve the impasse. He said, in an arrival statement, that he was beginning important consultations with President Nguyen Van Thieu on postwar relations. Agnew arrived in Saigon shortly after noon on the first leg of a seven-nation Asian tour that includes Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia. The Paris cease-fire agreement does not contain any provision for withdrawal of the estimated 125,000 North Vietnamese troops in South Vietnam, although both sides are pledged to reduce their military establishments. Agnew said that it was up to Saigon and the Viet Cong to work out an agreement. See FIREMEN Next Page SAMUELS SAID Waith had also agreed to two demands by firemen in negotiating sessions earlier this week. The two demands are that lieutenants not receive The Saigon command accused the Communist side of 737 violations of the cease-fire since it went into effect. As a result the command said, 1781 North Vietnamese and Viet Cong and 266 South Vietnamese who have died in the first 46 hours of the truce. The U.S. Command announced that the last American fighter-bomber group in Vietnam has begun withdrawing as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. Marine Aircraft Group 12 and its support equipment are being airlifted from Bien Hoa Air Base, 15 miles northeast of Saigon, to Iwakuni, Japan. The unit contains about 40 aircraft and more than 30 A4 Sajkawb bombers. Command spokesman said the number of American servicemen leaving Vietnam since the cease-fire has doubled to an average of 400 a day. The latest official summary lists 23,500 U.S. troops in South Vietnam as of last Saturday. Officials estimate this now has dropped to about 22,000. All must be out of South Vietnam by March 28 under the cease-fire terms. Content Former chancellor E. Laurence Chalmers Jr. recently was visited at his new post as the president of the University of Chicago. Kansan Staff Photo by DAN LAUING He reflected on his first year at the University of Kansas, his resignation as chancellor, financial issues at KU and at the Art Institute, the selection of a new KU chancellor and his new life in Chicago. See Picture Story Pages 6 and 7.