Pleasant THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN A Look At KU's NASA Building Clear to partly cloudy and warmer today, with increasing cloudiness tonight and Friday. A chance of light rain or snow Friday. High today around 50, low tonight in the mid-tonight tomorrow near 40. Precipitation probability zero per cent today, 20 per cent tomorrow. The University of Kansas—Lawrence, Kansas Thursday, February 25, 1971 See Page 8 81st Year, No. 97 Kansas Photo by TATE KELLY Student Body Presidential Candidates FT. BENNING, Ga. (UPI)—L.J. William L. Calley's lawyers rested his defense against charges of murdering 102 Vietnamese civilians Wednesday after he wound up eight hours of testimony by observing that he found Vietnamest to be "wonderful" people. , role of the Student Senate was discussed Defense Rests Case in Calley Trial Calley said under cross-examination that he did execute Vietnamese at the Mlai but not at the Hai. Calley was the 40th and last witness for the defense. The prosecution called 35 witnesses at the beginning of the trial, and will now summon 17. They are charged with murder. Calley was on the stand a total of 8 hours and 24 minutes—and 3½ of those hours were spent under cross examination by prosecutor Aubrey M. Daniel III. The hearing for Keith Gardenhire, who has been charged with unlawful possession of a weapon on campus in connection with the shooting of Harry Kirk Snyder Dec. 7, will be held at 3:30 p.m. Friday in the court room at Green Hall. Hearing Friday For Gardenhire The University scheduled the hearing after a ruling by U.S. District Court Judge Frank G. Theis that the University should have denied them a hearing before suspending him. Kansas Assistant Att. Gen. Leonard Munker will represent the University in the hearing. The results of the hearing will be presented to the U.S. District Court in Wichita March 2. Calley is accused of murdering, or ordered his men to murder, 102 South Vietnamese civilians during an American infantry sweep through My Lai on March 16, 1968. He has based his entire defense on the contention that whatever he did during the operation, he did on the direct orders of his superior, Capt. Ernest L. Medina, who is under investigation to determine whether he should stand courtmartial for the My Lai affair. Defense attorney George W. Latimer defensive Carroll re-direct examination and expert witness. "At any time did you stop to question the legality or illegality of these orders." Referring to Medina's commands, Latimer asked: legality of illegacy of these "No sir." Calley replied "I felt Capt. Medina was a very fine officer and I respected him very much," Calley said. "He ran a good company, and I am now and always will be very proud to have served under him. He was a tough, but fair, disciplinarian." Latimer got him to repeat part of this testimony, and asked Calley to state what Medina had told him during one of their conversations. Calley, who led a platoon at My Lai, testified he was under pressure from Medina to keep his troops moving through My Lai 4 and toward the main objective, My Lai 1, where a Viet Cong battalion was believed headquartered. The 27-year-old Miamian, on trial for his life, said he had been told to "waste" the villagers if necessary, but not to let them hold him up. Under cross examination, Calley testified that during the Lai Swe lain, an American helicopter landed and the pilot indicated he didn't like the way things were being done. "Basically, To bell with the bunkers, erase the people and get your people out there." anymore about it,' ''Calley recalled. Calley said he reported this to Medina and was told he knew about that and to get on up there. Calley admitted on cross-examination that he and several of his men opened fire on a group of civilians that had been rounded up in which he did not know whether he had hit anyone. Presidential Candidates Talk of Senate Reform Kansan Sponsors Debate The seven candidates for student body president discussed the role of the student senate and the role of the president Wednesday night at Oliver Hall in the second Kansan debate. About 100 persons attended the debate. The candidates answered questions from Golan Hain, Hutchinson senior and editor of *Newsweek*. The debate began with a question on Student Senate policy. The candidates were asked to what extent they thought the Senate had involved in polices beyond the KU community. Walker Hendrix, Overland Park junior, said he thought it was more important for the Senate to deal with issues within the KU and Lawrence communities. He said that vital cooperatives and food co-op cooperatives, gas cooperatives and free clothing stores would be one way to do this. Gretchen Miller, Wichita senior, said, "the University should be a home for people concerned with the environment around them. Students should meet and decide as a whole how the University should stand on certain issues." "Otherwise, the senate is over extending it," he said. "When the University intrudes itself into the political affairs of the state and the nation, it is only legitimate to assume that the state will thrust itself back on the University." Lewis Wall, Roeland Park junior, responded to the question by saying he thought the Student Senate should be more open with the issues that involved the University. "It's time we stop playing government and start solving the problems that are very much on our mind." Brad Smooth, Sterling junior, said students of the University were a part of this community as everyone else was and that the University is directly involved with the community of Lawrence, the state and the nation. See Debate Page 2 Four KU Seniors Named Woodrow Wilson Fellows The Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation has named four KU seniors Woodrow Wilson Fellows. Six KU seniors were named as finalists in the foundation. The students who were named fellows are Leigh W. Clark, Wichtia; John A. Taber, Convent Station, N.J.; Michael T. Hayes, and Richard D. Cunningham, Topkea. Those named as finalists are Max M. Wells, Winfield; J. rank L. Kankan, Kansas City, Kan; Stephen J. McIntire, Des Moines, Iowa; Bryce J. Jones II, Prairie Village; Mark L. Johnson, Overland Park, and Ruth A. Dick, Newton. The foundation supports fellows during their first year of graduate study and recommends finalists for fellowships and assistantships given by graduate schools. Army Spying Widespread Naming names, dates and places, former agents Hristopher H. Pyle, Ralph M. Stein and John O'Brien went before the Senate constitutional rights subcommittee to document their assertion that military intervention would be an American political affair in a growing threat to the right of free speech and the separatism of the military from civil politics. Sen, Sam J. Ervin, D-N.C., charged that WASHINGTON (UPI)—Three former military undercover men testified Wednesday that the Army spied on politicians, celebrities, civil rights leaders, radicals, reporters and thousands of ordinary people in large final files on them in big, centralized computers. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass, said even the hearing itself was being watched. He said an Army military intelligence unit was tasing the session. They said 1,500 Army plaincloaks agents had infiltrated, photographed, recorded and watched over political politics, party conventions, peace marches, a union meeting, Yuppie communes, a church youth group and a drunken college brawl in Zap, N.D. "The purpose of the Army is to protect this country against foreign forces," he said. "The Army under no circumstances has any right under the constitution to enter into this area except where it is apparent that civilian life is protected and attempted to suppress violence and failed." They charged that elaborate name files had been kept on such celebrities as Sen. Adalie Stevenson III, D-III, and folksinger Judy Collins, as well as newspapermen who had written stories considered sympathetic with radical causes and citizens who, one way or another, had complained about the government or associated with someone who had. military spring was a direct threat to the first amendment of the constitution. The fellows named at KU were four of L. awarded in this region. The region is comprised of Dakota and Missouri. Two fellows were named at the University of Missouri and at St. Louis University. Kansas State, Wichita University and Jewell College received one each follow. Since 1989, the foundation has awarded 156 tU graduates in addition to their own awards. He said the only reason the Army started the file was because undercovermen had attended a Democratic party picnic at Stevenson's home in Libertyville, Ill., and reported back that the Rev. Jesse Jackson was planning to endure Steveenson's pending arrest. The president of Chicago's black community, heading an organization called Operation Basketball. O'Brien, 26, a former sergeant who served for a year with the 113th military intelligence group in Evanston, Ill., he said he had personally seen the file on Stevenov. It was started in September, 1969 when Stevenov was state treasurer of Illinois, he said. O'Brien said the intelligence unit tried to concentrate on extremists on both the left and right. But he said his civilian and military commanders made no distinction between radical groups like the Woodberman and non-radical organizations like the Society of Friends. Files were even started on newspapermen who had written stories which Army intelligence considered favorable to peace and opposed to the war in Vietnam, O'Brien said. Afterwards, he said he knew of two files—one on the Washington correspondent of the Chicago Sun Times and another on the education writer for the Chicago Daily Name. He said the information collected by these agents is key punched on magnetic tape into a national IBM 1401 computer that can produce print-outs in 96 categories. The Army file, he said, was not like the National Crime Information Center. Over 10,900 seniors were nominated for fellowships across the country. Only 305 of those received the award and 741 were named as finalists. Pyle and Stein told the subcommittee that Army files and black lists include not only commissaries such as Gus Hall, but former servicemen who have spoken out against the Vietnam War, such as Adm. Arnold E. Tue, Brig. Gen. Hugh B. Hester; folk singers Pete Seiger, Arlo Garthie, Phil Ochoa, Beez and Judy Collins; Executive Director Whitney Young of the Urban League; Julius W. Moore, president of Columbia school board; actress Jane Fowler; Rapalh David Abernathy, head of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, and other Stein, who spent 15 months as a sergeant in the Army's counterintelligence analysis branch in 1967-68, said the files contained detailed financial information, sexual accusations, especially illicit or unconventional*, and personal beliefs and associations. Pyle, a former Army intelligence captain who is preparing a doctoral dissertation on the subject, said the Army maintains more than 1,500 platoons agents working out of 300 offices and scores of military bases from coast to coast. Harvard led the hat with 33 fellows. Cornell, Vale, UCLA, Brown, University of Chicago, University of California at Berkeley, Reed University of Texas all had 15 or more falls and fina Fewer Wilson awards were given this year. A change in the policy of the foundation allows it to actually pay for the student's first year of graduate school. The Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation is funded by former fellows and well-known philanthropic organizations. Funds for the award come from the Ford Foundation, the F. M. Kiry Corp., the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Charles E. Merrill Trust, the Helena Rubinstein Foundation and the U.S. Steel Foundation. Kansan Photo by TATE KELLY Oliver Hall Dining Room ... about 100 persons listened, prepared questions Laos Offensive Staffled By Communist Forces By United Press International Communist gunners attacked South Vietnamese forces on both sides of the Laos border Wednesday, hitting the main base in South Vietnam for Saiam's offensive against the Ho Chi Minh Military and stopping U.S. forces from helping another isolated unit in Laos. 11. Gen. John W. Vogt, chief administrative assistant to the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, spoke at a Pentagon conference during which Defense Secretary Melvin R. Laird said the initiative no longer belonged to the enemy in Indochina. In Washington, a high-ranking Defense Department planner said the South Vietnamese drive in Laos had been halted to "study enemy reactions," and that the assault would be extended if the Communists shifted supply movements farther west. The Saon offensive has been stalled for a week. Vogt denied reports, which he attributed to "some junior officers in the field," that the Laotian offensive to sever the Ho Chi Minh Trail had bogged down. "Believe me, this is far from the truth," he said. "The halt was made to study enemy reactions. The enemy has not stopped South Vietnamese movement along Highway 9, the major east-west route entering southern Laos from northern South Vietnam. There are no major engagements stopping our troops. We are force stopping the column on Highway 9." The general said the junction city of seprate, 27 miles inside Laos, was a bombed town. He said there were more than 100 people. Kansan editor Galen Bland said Wednesday that he had not been contacted in regard to the publication of the questionnaire results. Furthermore, he said, it would not be possible to publish the results entirely as stated in the questionnaire. In what extent, if any, the result of the questionnaire could be used because of the space that the answers of the 304 candidates would take. around it had "the hub of the present Ho Chi Minh. Trail." South Vietnam troops have driven about 13 miles into Laos and are forming outposts in the country. Questionnaires on "issues and problems confronting the University of Kansas today," have been mailed to the 304 candidates for the 92 seats in the KU Student Senate. Questionnaires Are Mailed To Candidates A letter attached to the questionnaire signed by John Friedman, chairman of the Senate Election Committee and Paul Hess, Wichita law student, said "Your responses to the questionnaire will be printed in table form with the response to candidates in the Kansas early next week." 3-Year Medical Program in Doubt Bv ROBERT PATRICK and PAT MALONE Kansan Staff Writers Future medical students at the University of Kansas School of Medicine will be able to graduate in three years instead of four if budget cuts eliminating essential parts of the program are restored, said Jack D. Walker, associate dean of the KU Medical Walker said the shortened program is one of a series of moves to alleviate the doctor shortage crisis in Kansas. The program was started last year with a $90,000 appropriation from the Kansas Legislature for the 1970-71 fiscal year. The money provided for additional faculty and curriculum changes, Walker said. However, he added, budget cuts by Gov. Robert Docking for the 1971-72 fiscal year eliminated eight new faculty positions and maintenance funds which were necessary for continuation of the shortened program. A new department of family practice expansion of internship and residency programs were also eliminated from the budget, Walker said. An appeal for restoration of the funds was made at last Thursday's session of the joint ways and means committee. Results of the appeal will not be known until April. A shortened and more flexible curriculum, more electives for students and summer classes were the essence of the proposed The establishment of a department of family practice was to be a revival of an old idea in medicine (the general practitioner) which has diminished in the last 25 years as specialization has increased. Walker said, The creation of such a department would encourage young doctors to become family doctors and then perhaps to locate in some of the smaller communities in Kansas which are short of doctors, he added. Walker emphasized the importance of expanding internship and residency programs in the state. Only the KU Medical Center and University Hospital are available. Another part of the overall plan to alleviate the Kansas doctor shortage was to actually enlarge the size of the medical school class from 125 to 390 or 250. This section was not cut. Walker said a bill would be introduced into the legislature within the next few days calling for about $50 million in bonds for construction of and expanded facilities at the Medical Center. These funds would be used to enlarge, replace and remodel present facilities which are rapidly becoming obsolete.