THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN THURSDAY, APRIL 12, 2012 PAGE 3 NEWS OF THE WORLD Associated Press ASIA ASSOCIATED PRESS Tsunami warnings cause widespread panic in Indonesia Residents flood the streets following a tsunami alert in Indonesia. The alert was triggered by an 8.6-magnitude earthquake of the coast of Indonesia. BANDA ACEH, Indonesia — Two massive earthquakes triggered back-to-back tsunami warnings for Indonesia on Wednesday, sending panicked residents fleeing to high ground in cars and on the backs of motorcycles. No deadly waves or serious damage resulted, and a watch for much of the Indian Ocean was lifted after a few hours. Women and children cried in Aceh, where memories are still raw of a 2004 tsunami that killed 170,000 people in the province alone. Others screamed "God is great" as they poured from their homes or searched frantically for separated family members. The U.S. Geological Survey said the first 8.6-magnitude quake was a shallow 22 kilometers (14 miles), hitting in the sea 270 miles from Aceh's provincial capital. An alert that followed from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii advised countries all along the rim of the Indian Ocean, from Australia and India to as far off as Africa, that a seismically charged wave could head their way. one year ago — have left the world much better prepared. Two deadly tsunamis in the last decade — the most recent off Japan just Sirens sounded along coastlines and warnings spread like wildfire by mobile phone text messaging. ASIA MOSCOW — Vladimir Putin on Wednesday called NATO a "relic of the Cold War era," but said Russia should nonetheless continue supporting the alliance's mission in Afghanistan. Putin, who won a third presidential term last month, defended the government's intention to offer NATO a new logistics facility on Russian territory to facilitate transit of military cargo to and from Afghanistan. "It's in our national interests to help maintain stability in Afghanistan," Putin told lawmakers who voiced concerns that a NATO facility on Russian soil would threaten its security. Moscow has provided the U.S. and other NATO member states with air corridors and railway routes for carrying supplies to and from landlocked Afghanistan — the link that has become particularly important since Pakistan partially blocked NATO supplies from crossing its territory following an alliance airstrike that killed 24 Pakistani Putin supports building of new NATO facility in Russia border troops in November. The new deal, which is now being considered by the Russian government, would for the first time allow alliance members to set up a logistics facility in the Volga River city of Ulyanovsk for troops and cargo on Russian territory. Putin said that while Russia sees the alliance as a Cold War relic and has been critical of some of its actions, it views NATO's efforts in Afghanistan as crucial for its own security interests, helping prevent instability from spreading into ex-Soviet Central Asia. He said the new logistics facility wouldn't be a military base, simply offering NATO a stopover for air transit. Relations between Russia, the United States and NATO have soured over U.S.-led NATO missile defense plan that Washington says is aimed at defecting a potential Iranian threat. Moscow fears it will eventually become powerful enough to underline Russias's nuclear deterrent. ASSOCIATED PRESS Vladimir Putin speaks about NATO and the plans to build a new NATO facility in Russia. ASIA Victory for South Korea's ruling party in parliament SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea's ruling party claimed a majority Thursday in a parliamentary vote that centered on domestic issues but had implications for Seoul's relationship with the North. President Lee Myung-bak's conservative Saenuri Party was expected to win at least 152 seats while his liberal rivals were set to claim 140 in the race for 300 parliamentary seats, the National Election Commission said with 1 percent of ballots left uncounted. South Koreans went to the polls a day earlier. Ties between the two Koreas plummeted during Lee's tenure, with two attacks Seoul blames on Pyongyang killing 50 South Koreans in 2010. North Korea also conducted a long-range rocket launch and tested a nuclear device in 2009. After North Korean leader Kim Jong II died in December and his son Kim Jung Un took over, Pyongyang stepped up criticism of Lee, accusing his government of failing to pay proper respect to Kim Jong II. South Korea, the U.S. and others have urged the North to cancel a rocket launch it plans as soon as Thursday, calling it a cover to test long-range missile technology rather than the peaceful satellite launch Pyongyang claims. Lee's government has said it will shoot down any rocket parts that threaten to fall onto the South's territory. Despite Pyongyang's rocket preparations, the launch wasn't a major issue in Wednesday's elections, which were largely seen as a way to gauge public sentiment ahead of December's presidential polls. Voters have said they care more about economic and other domestic issues. SOUTH AMERICA After being pronounced dead, baby found alive in morgue BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — A mother in Argentina said she fell to her knees in shock after finding her baby alive in a coffin in the morgue nearly 12 hours after the girl had been declared dead. Analia Bouguet named her newborn Luz Milagros, or "Miracle Light." The tiny girl, born three months premature, was in critical but improving condition Wednesday in the same hospital where the staff pronounced her stillbirth on April 3. The case became public Tuesday when Rafael Sabatinelli, the deputy health minister in the northern province of Chaco, announced in a news conference that five medical professionals involved have been suspended pending an official investigation. Bouguet told the TeleNoticias TV channel in an interview Tuesday night that doctors gave her the death certificate just 20 minutes after the baby was born, and that she still hasn't received a birth certificate for her tiny girl. Bouquet said the baby was quickly put in a coffin and taken to the morgue's refrigeration room. Twelve hours passed before she and her husband were able to open the coffin to say their last goodbyes. She said that's when the baby trembled. She thought it was her imagination — then she realized the little girl was alive, and dropped to her knees on the morgue floor in shock. A morgue worker quickly picked up the girl and confirmed she was alive. Then, Bouguet's brother grabbed the baby and ran to the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit, shouting for the doctors. The baby was so cold. Bouguet said, that "it was like carrying a bottle of ice." A week later, the baby is improving. DRUGS ASSOCIATED PRESS Smugglers exploit applicants The ads by smugglers offer jobs as security guards, housecleaners and cashiers, and applicants are later told they have to drive company cars to the United States. They aren't told, however, that the vehicles are carrying drugs. SAN DIEGO, Calif. — For years, smugglers have used classified ads to recruit people to drive drugs across the border. Now, the U.S. government is fighting back with ads of its own. Starting this week, U.S. Immigration and Customs and Enforcement began buying ad space in Tijuana newspapers to warn jobseekers they might be unwitting targets. "Why don't we do the same thing that (cartels are) doing? It's successful for them. Why wouldn't it be successful for us?" Lester Hayes, a group supervisor for ICE in San Diego, recalls his agents telling him. There have been 39 arrests since February 2011 at San Diego's two border crossings tied to newspaper ads for seemingly legitimate jobs, according to ICE, which hadn't seen such significant numbers before. Drug smugglers always look to exploit weak links along the 1,954-mile border, even if the window of opportunity is brief. In the past several years, they have turned to makehift boats on the Pacific Ocean and ultralight aircraft in the deserts of California and Arizona. In the San Diego area, there has been a spike in teenagers strapping drugs to their bodies to walk across the border from Tijuana. Those arrests have yielded 3,400 pounds of marijuana,75 pounds of cocaine and 100 pounds of methamphetamine — a tiny fraction of total seizures but enough to convince U.S. authorities that smugglers are increasingly turning to the recruitment technique. Some suddenly popular techniques are limited to particular pockets of the border. For instance, ICE has not spotted significant spikes in newspaper ads outside of San Diego. States — an invitation that only people who can cross the border legally need apply — with a phone number and sometimes a location to apply in person. New hires are told they must drive company cars across the border, typically to a fast-food restaurant or shopping center in San Diego, according to ICE. When they arrive, they are often told there will be no work after all that day and must leave the car and walk back to Mexico after being paid a small amount. Ads that authorities connect to drug smugglers appear innocuous. They offer work in the United The drivers are typically paid $50 to $200 a trip — much less than the $1,500 to $5,000 that seasoned smugglers are typically paid for such trips, Hayes said. The tactic lowers expenses for drug traffickers and also lures drivers who are less likely to appear nervous when questioned by a border inspector because they are never told they are ferrying drugs, said Millie Jones, an assistant special agent in charge of investigations for ICE in San Diego. NOLAN REAL ESTATE The Lifestyle You Deserve! LEGISLATION Mismanagement of funds leads to $1 billion settlement YAKIMA, Wash. — The federal government will pay more than $1 billion to settle a class-action lawsuit brought by American Indian tribes over mismanagement of tribal money and trust lands, under a settlement announced Wednesday. ASSOCIATED PRESS The agreement resolves claims brought by 41 tribes from across the country to reclaim money lost in mismanaged accounts and from royalties for oil, gas, grazing and timber rights on tribal lands. The settlement was announced jointly by the Justice Department and the Interior Department, which manages more than 100,000 leases on tribal trust lands and about 2,500 tribal trust accounts Ending the long-running dispute allows the governments involved to move beyond distrust and antagonism, and empowerers Indian communities going forward, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said. for more than 250 federally recognized tribes. "These settlements fairly and honorably resolve historical grievances over the accounting and management of tribal trust funds, trust lands, and other non-monetary trust resources that, for far too long, have been a source of conflict between Indian tribes and the United States," Attorney General Eric Holder said. The latest announcement follows a $3.4 billion settlement in a class-action lawsuit brought by the late Elouise Cobell, a member of the Blackfeet Tribe from Browning, Montana. of the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe, whose reservation covers southwest Colorado, southeast Utah and northern New Mexico. But the settlements will assist tribal governments in supplementing decades of inadequate funding throughout Indian Country, helping to improve public safety, infrastructure and health care, he said. All tribes have had a dark relationship with the federal government, said Gary Hayes, chairman "The seeds that we plant today will profit us in the future and continue for generations to come," Haves said. Now Open on Mass Street! (785) 856-0123 831 Massachusetts St. Lawrence, KS 66044 Or visit our location in Overland Park www.thetanco.com - UV-Free Mystic HD 1. - Up to 5 Levels of Tanning - Up to 5 Levels of Tarmac - LW Custom Airbrush - UV-Free Custom Airbrush - State-of-the-Art Equipment - Certified Tanning Consultants - Unlimited Tanning Packages Available WE ACCEPT BEAK 'EM BUCKS! 5 FREE TANS 785.856.0123 Valid only at participating locations One per client. Gae store for details. Expires 04/16/12