WEDNESDAY, MARCH 26, 2003 NEWS THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN = 9A The Associated Press JERUSALEM — Israel, forces killed two children and three gunmen in the West Bank yesterday, doctors and Israeli Radio said. Three Palestinians were sentenced to life in prison by an Israeli military court. Israeli forceslooking for suspected Hamas militants in Bethlehem shot three Palestinian gunmen dead after they opened fire on the soldiers from a car, Israel Radio said. The report said soldiers then opened fire on another car they thought was trying to run them over, killing a 10-year-old girl. The Israeli military had no immediate comment. A spokeswoman at Hadas-sah Hospital in Jerusalem said three wounded had been brought there from Bethlehem — a father, mother and 15-year-old girl. In the West Bank town of Jenin, a 14-year-old boy was killed and a 12-year-old boy was seriously wounded by fire from an Israeli tank, doctors said. The Israeli military said they had been shot while climbing on an armored vehicle and trying to steal a machine gun. In the Gaza Strip, soldiers opened fire on two suspicious figures near the Jewish settlement of Morag, hitting one. military sources said. They said the area was off-limits to Palestinians. The court sentenced the three Palestinians to consecutive life terms in prison after convicting them of involvement in fatal attacks against Israelis, the military said, including a mob killing that horrified Israelis at the beginning of the Palestinian uprising more than two years ago. In a statement from the military court near the West Bank Jewish settlement of Beit El, the military said the three were members of an Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade cell in Jenin. The group is affiliated with Fatah, the movement headed by Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. The military said the three had carried out many shooting attacks on West Bank roads and Jerusalem. The commander of the cell, Mohammed Mazlah, was sentenced to nine consecutive life terms. Among the incidents, the military said he had been involved in the attack on two unarmed Israeli reserve soldiers who lost their way and entered the West Bank Palestinian town of Ramallah in October 2000. A mob stormed the police station where they were taken, beat them to death and threw their bodies out a second-story window. Hour by hour, Iraq TV broadcasts the fierce propaganda of Saddam Hussein and his inner circle. "Slit their throats," is the greeting Iraqi citizens should give advancing allied troops, the leaders advise on the air. Iraq TV still on despite bombings The Associated Press Despite bombs, missiles and thousands of ground troops rumbling toward Baghdad, the government-controlled station operates with only intermittent outages. But threatened death and mayhem are not the most disturbing words coming over the Iraqi airwaves. The halting responses of captured Americans, their faces etched in fear, are also broadcast. And ultimately, after being picked up by Qatar-based satellite network Al-Jazeera and bounced around the world, they have made their way onto U.S. television. And into the homes of prisoners' families, who can only watch helplessly. On Monday, Iraqi television showed farmers stomping on the helmets of two downed Apache helicopter pilots in central Iraq. "A small number of peasants shot down two Apaches," Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed Saeed Al-Sahhaf said. "Perhaps we will show pictures of the pilots." They did. Chief Warrant Officers Ronald D Young Jr., 26, o Lithia Springs, Ga., and David S Williams, 30, of Orlando, Fla. appeared on camera but didn't speak. They looked confused, turning their heads and looking in different directions. "He looked stubborn, mad," said Young's mother, Kaye, standing outside her Atlanta home Monday night. "He probably was frightened though." At first, the mother said, she was hysterical. "Now I'm numb." American military officials have long promised a war that would take great care to avoid civilian casualties and infrastructures such as power and communications grids. Increasingly, however, U.S. leaders are being asked why allied troops—with their precision weap- omy don'tsimplyknock Inqi television off the air for good. The answers have been vague. The answers have been right. Yesterday, during the daily military briefing at the coalition's $1.5 million desert press center in Qatar, a reporter asked Air Force Maj. Gen. Victor Renault: "Why haven't you attacked those facilities and taken them out?" "I'm not going to talk about what we target and when," Renuart replied. Besides, he added, he doesn't think such propaganda hurts the allied cause. "I don't believe it affects us in a negative way," he said. "I think people around the world understand that it is, in fact ... not necessarily reality." Troops nab terror suspects, weapons The Associated Press BAGRAM, Afghanistan U.S.-led forces intensified a sweep of southeastern Afghanistan for terror suspects yesterday, capturing four suspected rebels and seizing a major weapons cache. Hundreds of soldiers participated in Operation Valiant Strike, now in its fifth day, Lt. Col. Michael Shields said. The cache, extracted from two walled compounds, included electronic detonators, timers, dozens of mortar and rocket-propelled grenade rounds and land mines. It was the fourth cache seized during the operation. "We're looking at a potential facility where they were preparing ordnance perhaps to use against coalition forces or the government of Afghanistan," Shields, an operations officer, told The Associated Press. "This is a pretty significant find." Four suspects were detained in connection with the cache, he said, but he declined to identify the groups they might be affiliated with. Earlier yesterday, Army spokesman Col. Roger King said another weapons cache found Monday included more than 170 rocket-propelled grenades and scores of land mines and mortar rounds. About 600 U.S.-led soldiers are on the ground and hundreds more are providing support in the region as part of the offensive to hunt for suspected al-Qaida or Taliban fighters and their allies. Eight people have been taken into U.S. custody since the operation began. There have been no clashes with rebel fighters and no soldiers have been injured, King said. Regional Afghan official Gul Mohammed Khan said he understood that U.S. forces had moved to the Ataghar district from Maruf, where Taliban spiritual leader Mullah Mohammed Omar has tribal links. Ataghar is 95 miles east of the southern city of Kandahar. Khan, district chief of Maruf, said the Americans had destroyed a large weapons cache yesterday morning before leaving. Just after midnight Monday, a patrol of U.S. forces from the Shkin base in the eastern Paktika province near the Pakistani border came under gunfire and grenade attack by as many as five militants, the Army officials said. No soldiers were hurt, Shields said. MENDEANDAY kansas union gallery Lisa Thalhammer a solo exhibition 9:00 am-4:00 pm March 26 - April 15 kansas union, Level 4 FEATURE FILM Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones 7:00 & 10:00pm Woodruff Auditorium kansas union, level 5 FRIDAY E1B FEATURE FILM Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones 7:00 & 10:00 pm Woodchrift Auditorium kansas union, level 5 SUNDAY 3PM THE ADVANCE warning tour presented by SUA, CMJ, and MTV2 7:30 pm Kansas Ballroom kansas union, level s admission $5.00 SUA COMMITTEE MEETINGS 5:00,6:00,7:00 pm Kansas Union CHECK THE SUA OFFICE FOR specific meeting rooms. POETRY SLAM 7:00 pm Hawks Nest kansas union, level 1 ALL TICKETS for movies are $2.00 at THE hawk shop, level 4 kansas union or FREE WITH AN SUA MOVIE CARD. questions about these or other SUA events? check suaevents.com or call THE SUA OFFICE at 864-SHOW 1025 MASS. AIMEE'S COFFEHOUSE services available - copies - printing from disk or electronic file - full color printing - large format print - uv lamination of large format prints - thesis and dissertation printing - resume printing - transparencies - large selection of papers 864-3354 open7am-10pm FORALLYOUR PRINTINGAND BINDING NEEDS please stop by or call us for more information about our services