University Daily Kansan, March 20, 1985 Page 2 NATION AND WORLD NEWS BRIEFS Mississippi teachers get raise JACKSON, Miss. — Mississippi's Legislature yesterday overturned Gov. Bill Allain's veto of a $4,400 wage package for the nation's lowest-paid teachers, many of whom walked off their jobs for 23 days seeking higher salaries. The state's 27,000 teachers did not get the $7,000, two-year raise they sought. Most of the teachers, whose average salary was $15,971, returned to work yesterday. The teachers began their walkout Feb. 25. At the height of the strike, about 9,300 teachers were off the job, idling 172,000 students in one-third of the state's public school districts. Boy saved family, sheriff says He said the boy, Jimmy Roland, probably had averted a massacre of his family. The home telephone lines had been cut, the sheriff said. BETHEL, Okla. — A 6-year-old boy used an unloaded rifle to scare off a man who was holding a knife to his mother's throat, an Oklahoma sheriff said yesterday. "The little boy ran a bluff," said Paul Abel, the sheriff, after Jimmy confronted the man in the yard of the family's house. "He knew the rifle was not loaded." Swallows settle in Capistrano Abel said two suspects were arrested within 15 minutes. A third man was arrested when he went to the jail to check on the other two suspects. SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif. — The famed swallows of Capistrano fluttered into the adobe mission archee at the fabled time yesterday and ushered spring into Southern California. For the 37th year, Paul Arbiso, 89, rang mission bells to mark the end of the birds' annual 6,000-mile journey. An estimated 12,000 applauded approximately 100 swallows. The birds have returned to Capristrao each St. Joseph's Day for hundreds of years on their annual migration from their winter home in Goya, Argentina. Protesters bare grievances CARTAGENA, Colombia — About 1,000 dock workers went to work in their underwear yesterday to protest what they think is a paltry pay raise and the suspension of a clothes allowance. SUPPONENTS The workers for the government company Ports of Colombia were showing their displeasure with a 10 percent pay hike and the elimination of government-provided work clothes. Compiled from United Press International reports. Selective draft prosecution upheld by court By United Press International WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court yesterday uphold 7-2 the government's policy of prosecuting only outspoken resisters of draft registration, rejecting pleas that such enforcement punishes those who exercise the right of free speech. 1rms is the third time since President Jimmy Carter revived draft registration in 1980 that the nation's highest court has adopted the government's policy regarding conscription. In 1881, the justices ruled women could be excluded from the pool of names for quick call-up in event of war. In July they held that students may be required to sign up for conscription if they want federal college aid. The court ruled yesterday that the government may single out vocal opponents of draft registration, it placed government interests ahead of arguments regarding First Amendment rights of free speech rights. THE TEST CASE was brought by David Wayte of Pasadena, Calif., who was indicted in July 1882 for failure to register. He also wrote letters to Carter and the Selective Service System saying he would not obey the law. "I'm sorry I lost at the highest court but I feel I succeeded when I first decided not to register and made it public," Wayte said. "I feel good about my conscience even though I've lost in the legal arena." When the court ruled yesterday that the Wayte, who now faces trial, said he feared the ruling could inhibit others from speaking their beliefs about registration. If convicted, Wayte could receive as much as five years in prison or as little as a term of community service. MARK ROSEBAUM of the American Civil Liberties Union, who represented Wayte, said the decision showed the government's thought: "We're not interested in punishing non-registrants, we're interested in punishing dissent and silence would be golden." However, Rex Lee, solicitor general, taking the unusual step on commenting on the decision, said its guidelines for selective prosecution should help prosecutors. Charges against Waye were dismissed initially by U.S. District Judge Terry Hatter, who held that the government had illegally obtained a copy of her prosecution or prosecution because of his visible protest. But the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, splitting 2-1, reversed, saying Wayte had not shown that he was singled out because he was exercising his constitutional right to free speech. The Supreme Court upheld that ruling, allowing the prosecution of Wayte to go forward. At the time of the indictment, more than 500,000 eligible men had failed to register, but only 12 others besides Wayte — all outspoken resisters — were prosecuted. Writing for the majority, Justice Lewis Powell said searching out violators would have been difficult and costly because of the thousands of non-registrants. He said prosecuting visible non-registrants was thought to be an effective way to promote general deterrence. The limitations this places on free speech are no more than what is necessary to insure registration for the national defense, Powell said. U.S. technicians lending their skills to Nicaragua By United Press International BERKLEY, Calif. — Groups of American technicians have volunteered to lend their skills to the Nicaraguan government, a leftist regime that President Reagan opposes. The group called Technical Support Project to Nicaragua, or TeCNICA, is composed of skilled specialists ranging from computer programmers to machinists. The latest group left San Francisco on Saturday and was the sixth contingent of volunteers who purchased round-trip tickets for two-week stints in Nicaragua's capital, Managua. TecNIC sought the professionals to fill gaps created when some of Nicargara's trained personnel left the country after the Sandinista revolution in 1979. Reagan has said he opposes the leftist government in Nicaragua and wants the nation to reform. PRIVATE BUSINESSES and Nicaragua government agencies ask TeNICA for volunteers with specific skills. In Managua the volunteers live in a residential hotel as guests of Nicaragua, far from the U.S.-sponsored rebels in distant sites. David Wald, 57, a mechanical engineer from the Silicon Valley who examined the needs of Managua's hospital equipment system, said his experience confirmed his perception of U.S. policy in Central America. term Marxist-Leninist state is repeated in the U.S. ad naumseam, when in reality Nicaragua is a mixed economy with individual liberties." "Without exception, Americans who returned to the United States came back supporting the Sandinistas," said Wald. "The TecNICA, whose first group was sent to Nicaragua in December 1983, encourages people with varied backgrounds, including economics and banking, to volunteer. The latest group includes nine computer specialists, as well as a machinist who will visit a tractor repair school in rural Matagalpa, and an engineer who will install equipment to give a remote northern community its first radio link with Managua. "We're kind of like an employment agency," Wald said. "We review resumes and find someone who will be assigned to another. It is very rare that we turn somebody down." TeCNICA, which so far has sent 50 technical experts to Managua, has expanded its program to provide groups of about nine volunteers every eight weeks. "We regard our aid as humanitarian, and clearly the existing agencies and governments are the channels through which aid can be furnished to the government of Nicaragua," said Wald. cruciael Urmann, a Berkeley economist and the project's coordinator since its inception, said TecNICA was started in the San Francisco area as an experiment in people-to-people diplomacy. He said that later this spring TecNICA would become an official arm of The Office of the Americas, a private, non-profit organization based in Los Angeles, which has worked to promote peace in Central America for a decade. Iraqi attacks on Teheran prompt foreigners to flee By United Press International More than 1,500 foreigners terrified by daily Iraqi bombings of Teheran fled the Iranian capital by bus, train and plane yesterday as an Iraqi deadline passed for all jettlers to avoid Iranian air space or risk being shot down. One Austrian airliner reportedly had to stay at Teheran's Meherabad airport for 30 extra minutes during the mass evacuation while Iranian gunners fired outgoing anti-aircraft rounds. "I am glad to be out," Adolf Oelbreuther, Teheran station manager for Austrian Airlines, said on his arrival in Vienna. "I have had enough. We have just had our 60th bomb attack in a week. It is dangerous for the moment to fly in." Airline officials said more than 1,500 foreigners fled Tetherian yesterday — 259 in two Austrian flights, 357 in a West German plane, 482 aboard an Air France jetliner and 454 in two Turkish airlines and scores more by bus and train. THE EVACUATION of foreigners came as Teheran radio said Iran fired another missile into Baghdad, Iraq's capital, and warned it would continue until it turned the city into ruins. The missile slammed into an industrial part of central Baghdad, Iran's official news agency said. Iraq had no comment, but a Beirut radio station contacted residents of Baghdad who said they heard a lion explosion. Iraq's official news agency reported air raids on five Iranian cities, including Ardabil near the Caspian Sea and Bushehr on the Persian Gulf. "Iraq will continue hitting until the rulers of Iran accept peace," the news agency said. Iran and Iraq escalated the 4½-year-old Persian Gulf war this month with missile and air raids on each other's territories, a mediated truce to avoid civilian targets. IRAQ WARNED Sunday that as of 8 p.m. local time yesterday, any plane entering Iranian air space might come under Iraqi attack. Iran, in response, warned it would continue missile attacks on the Baghdad airport if Iraq carried its out threat. West Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Austria and Turkey organized last-minute flights for people wishing to leave Teheran before the deadline. Two Soviet Aeroflot jetliners also went to Teheran for the evacuation. Austrian Airlines Capt. Wilhelm Menke said he took 131 passengers to Vienna, but was delayed in getting aloft. "When we got to Teheran, there was a red-alert air raid warning and we were pinned to the ground for 30 minutes." Menke said. "There was outgoing artillery fire but we did not see any attacking Iraqi aircraft." In Tokyo, Japanese Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone asked Iran to help evacuate 400 Japanese citizens. According to radio reports, hundreds of foreigners jammed Teheran airport and hotels in the city. LAIRD NOLLER MAZDA Experience It! Attention All Graduating Seniors Own a brand new 1985 Mazda 626 RX-7 and GLC or the all new 1986 Mazda truck And Not Make A Payment Until July! For More Information Contact Your Certified Mazda Representatives Chris Wallace