INTERNATIONAL University Daily Kansan / Thursday, March 19, 1992 7 INTERNATIONAL BRIEF'S Manila, Philippines Police free U.S. businessman Police attacked a bungalow with guns and grenades yesterday and freed a U.S. businessman who had been kidnapped two months ago. Sharpshooters shot and killed two captors as they brandished weapons and threatened to kill their blindfolded and chained hostage. Police said at least 12 suspected kidnappers were killed in a series of raids on six leftist hideouts in the effort to find Michael Barnes, vice president of Philippine Geothermal Inc. Three policemen were wounded, and two women were arrested. In the southern Philippines, meanwhile, a police representative said Muslim separatists kidnapped two U.S. women and an Australian mother and daughter on Tuesday and demanded their release for their return. Officials said negotiations for their release were under way yesterday. The kidnapping of Barnes had worried U.S. businessmen in Manila, prompting several companies to hire bodyguards for senior executives. Peshawar, Pakistan Guerrillas capture military base Fundamentalist Muslim guerrillas claimed yesterday that they captured the Afghanistan government's biggest military base in a battle that undermined U.N. peacemaking efforts. State-run Kabul Radio acknowledged key districts around the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif had fallen to the guerrillas. But the radio departments loyal to President Najibullah had ill-fated The rebel claim could not be independently verified. If true, it would be the guerrilla's biggest victory in a nearly 14-year-old effort to bring down the government. In a nationwide speech on state radio and television, Najibullah made no mention of the fighting. Mazar-e-Sharif, the capital of Balkh Province, is the headquarters of the Afghan air force and the main road link between the capital, Kabul, and the former Soviet Union, its one-time ally. He reiterated his support for a U.N.-sponsored peace plan, saying he was ready to hand power to a neutral interim government. Although he has privately made similar offers in the past, it was his first public commitment to eventually step aside. High-speed autobahn slowed Berlin The brakes may finally be applied to Germany's freewheeling autobahns, but not without fierce debate. A high court decision Tuesday gave new strength to the "recommended limit" of 130 kilometers—80 miles—per hour. The ruling was trumpeted on front pages of most newspapers yesterday and condemned by a drivers' club as a capricious verdict. But the president of the national organization of traffic court judges, Hannskarl Salger, said the ruling showed the recommended limit was finally no joke. Germans are notorious as the continent's fastest drivers. "Leave your lead foot at home," state signs in Gorman posted on the Belgian side of the border. Germany is the only country in Europe without legal speed limits on stretches of its expressways. Its resisting pressure conforms to the 12-foot standard; its motion moves toward standardizing national laws. Coming into Germany, sign state that 130 kph is the "recommended limit," but on autobahn stretches without posted limits, 160 kph — or 100 mph — is common. Jerusalem Guerrillas capture military base Foreign Minister David Levy today said President Bush's rejection of $10 billion in loan guarantees for Israel could create a dangerous chasm in the Middle East and endanger the peace process. Responding to President Bush's rejection Tuesday of a congressional compromise on the guarantees, Levy cautioned against creating "an impression in the region as though relations between Israel and the United States have been shaken. "This could, heaven forbid, be interpreted in the region as though Israel is being weakened, that the United States is hostile to Israel or the Islamic State is being weakened." Levy said, speaking at a news conference. "Such a thing could be very dangerous both to the peace process and other matters in the region."Levv said. Bush has agreed to grant only $300 million with a condition that Israel cease Jewish settlement-building in the occupied territories. Levy, who is more moderate than Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir, stopped short of rejecting Bush's offer, saying Israeli leaders would "discuss this matter." South African whites vote 'no' to apartheid The Associated Press LONDON — Governments prepared yesterday to reestablish trade with South Africa after white voters overwhelmingly approved a referendum on ending apartheid. British Prime Minister John Major said that the referendum would bring South Africa back into the international communi- President Bush's press secretary, Marlin Fitzwater, said that the United States firmly and fully supported efforts to write a non-racial constitution for South Africa "White South Africans have voted 'yes' to just and democratic future and they've said 'no' to apartheid," he said. But Robert Mugabe, president of Zimbabwe and chairperson of the six black-rided front-line troops in Angola, was guarded about the outcome. "A 'yes' vote does not mean an automatic majority rule," Mugabe said. "There are so many views on majority rule in South Africa." Nelson Mandela said yesterday that apartheid was very much alive in South Africa, despite white voters' stunning endorsement of plans to share power with the black majority. Whites voted 82.7 percent to 31.3 percent Tuesday to forge ahead with talks that will end white rule and give blacks voting rights for the first time in South Africa's history. The margin of support for President F.W. de Klerk's reforms was much higher than expected and was a jolt to pro-apartheid white conservatives. From The Associated Press De Klerk won in 14 of 15 electoral districts, seemingly bolstered by a record voter turnout of more than 85 percent. South African reform Here's how South African President F.W. de Klerk will proceed with voter-sanctioned efforts to share political power with the black majority; Continued talks on a new constitution among 19 political groups, including the controlling National Party and the African National Congress. Negotiations Interim government If negotiations succeed, an interim government, including blacks for the first time, may be formed, however, de Klerk would remain in control. SOURCE AP The last significant election, the 1989 vote for Parliament, drew 69 percent of the voters. A 1983 vote creating Parliament chambers for mixed-race people and Indians drew 76 percent. The gulf between the government and the African National Congress was highlighted yesterday when thousands of ANC supporters marched in large cities to protest the 1992 budget. "Today, we have closed the book on apartheid," deKlerk said. But many issues remain to be resolved and there is not likely to be a swift transfer of power. The deadline for de Klerk to call an election is 1994, which is his target date for having a new constitution. The budget, announced shortly after the final vote results, includes vast disparities in social services for blacks and whites and was denounced by the ANC as Elections Knight-Ridder Tribune an apartheid budget. Mandela welcomed the outcome of Tuesday's referendum, but warned it must be the absolute last whites-only vote. There are 3 million whites and 30 million blacks in South Africa. "Apartheid is still very much alive. I still cannot vote in my own country." Mandela said. Danish Prime Minister Poul Schluter said that the referendum had convinced his government that it was time to end sanctions. He said that Crown Prince Frederic would sign a royal decree yesterday, lifting all sanctions by tomorrow. Sweden said that an end to sanctions would be discussed tomorrow, and Norway said that the vote formed the basis for removing sanctions in the not-too-distant future. U.S. may use violence to send Iraq message Saddam's refusal to cooperate effects military planning The Associated Press WASHINGTON — The Bush administration has drawn up plans for a bombing strike that could be carried out against Iraqi weapons facilities if Saddam Hussein keeps blocking U.N. destruction of his arsenals. U.S. officials said. The plans also call for possible seizure of Iraq's bank assets in the United States and in other allied nations, expansion of the ban on Iraqi helicopter flights in northern Iraq, and an increase of U.N. inspections in Iraq to include monitoring human rights violations. Money from the seized assets could be used to keep the financially pressed U.N. inspection and destruction team going. that defiance would result in serious consequences The contingency plans are part of a broader strategy, likely to be announced within weeks, to further erode the Iraqi president's standing in his beleaguered country, the officials said. They commented only on condition of anonymity. A decision to bomb would depend in part on the outcome of a trip by a U.N. team to Iraq on Saturday to destroy equipment for building Scud missiles. Iraq has been one of the first countries just last month, promoting the Security Council to warn that defiance would result in serious consequences. "This next inspection could be the trigger," said on- line researcher Dennis Mills. By agreement with U.N. allies, any U.N. action would be a limited, specific strike, said another official who is familiar with the administration's think tank. He warned that the raid to avoid harm to civilisers, he added. The United States maintains bomber forces in the Persian Gulf region, both on land and on the USS Amphibious Carrier. But Assistant Secretary of State Edward P. Dijerian, asked Tuesday during a congressional hearing about policy on Iraq, appeared to rule out any immediate attack. First, he said that, given Saddam's cheat and retreat strategy, the time has come to truly reinforce the nation. but when Rep. Lee Hamilton, D-Ind., said he understood that no military action was under active consideration, Djerejian said, "That is basically a correct statement." Still, he added that nothing was ruled out. Officials concede that such veiled warnings, including ones made in recent days by President Bush, are designed to keep Saddam off balance. Islamic group claims fault for Israeli Embassy blast The Associated Press Nation vows to avenge 12 deaths and more than 250 injuries BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - An Islamic fundamentalist group in Beirut claimed responsibility yesterday for the Israeli Embassy bombing that killed 12 people, injured more than 250 and reduced the building to chunks of concrete and twisted metal. The blast instantly collapsed the four-story structure into a pile of concrete, metal pipes, wood beams, broken glass and bodies. Heavily damaged buildings nearby may have to be knocked down rather than repaired. Rescuers who worked slowly all night with picks and shovels eventually switched to cranes and front-loaders as the possibility of finding survivors faded. Tuesday's explosion at the French-style embassy near the city's central business district was caused by a car bomb containing 220 pounds of explosives, said Interior Minister Jose Luis Manzano. An embassy representative said that five Israelis, and possibly other victims, were missing and believed dead in the rubble. In Beirut, the pro-Iranian Shiite Muslim group, Islamic Jihad, said that an Argentine convert to Islam carried out the attack to avenge the Feb. 16 killing of a Shite leader and his family in an Israeli air attack in Lebanon. Fergie and Andrew's marriage: royal flop? LONDON — Prince Andrew and the Duchess of York kept their cool yesterday as journalists barraged them with questions about their reported impending sit-up. The Associated Press Buckingham Palace refused to comment on reports in the Daily Mail and other newspapers that the duchess, the former Sarah Ferguson, was deterred by a complaint about Andrew, the second of Queen Elizabeth II's three sons. tle, 20 miles west of central London, was besieged by reporters and photographer yesterday. Sunninghill Park, their home near Windsor Cas The Daily Mail said reports about a friendship between the duchess and wealthy Texas olmert Andrew, also 32, did not respond to questions as he went to and from classes at the nearby Army Staff College. The 32-year-old duchess ignored shouts from journalists as she took her 3-year-old daughter, Princess Beatrice, to school and brought her home. The reports of an impending separation, attributed to unidentified sources in royal circles, said the duchess was expected to get custody of the couple's two vowel daughters. In January, the paper said photographs of the duchess and Wyatt taken while they were vacationing in Morocco with friends were found by a cleaner at a London apartment vacated by Wyatt. It said the pictures were shown to the paper before being handed to police. When the two married July 23, 1986, at Westminster Abbey, they were regarded as a match of open, fun-loving personalities. They had been thought of as an unusually happy couple in spite of long periods apart because of Andrew's naval duties and steady criticism of the duchess. The Daily Mail and other newspapers said yesterday that Sarah was deprecated by the criticism. Press reports describe noisy, tactless, more interested in vacations than work, and a poor mother to Princess Bearice and to Princess Eugenie, who will be 2 on March 23. FLAPPERERA Costumes and all Accessories "Gams & Gangsters" Barb's Vintage Rose 927 Massachusetts 10 5-30 Mon-Sat 8421 6251 Crown Cinema BEFORE 6 PM-ADULTS $3.00 (LIMITED TO SEATING) SENIOR CITIZENS - $3.00 VARSITY 1015 MASSACHUSETTS 841-5191 Wayne's World(PG-13) 530 730 930 HILLCREST 925 IOWA 841 5191 Lawnmover Man (R) (5.00 1.75 9.30 Gladiator (R) (5.15 7.30 9.30 American Me (R) (5.15 7.00 9.30 Medicine Man (PG-13) (5.00 1.75 9.30 Medicine Man (R) (5.00 1.75 9.30 Medicine Man [PG-13] 5:00 7:15 9:30 Article 99 (R) 5:00 7:15 9:30 CINEMA TWIN UUWOWA 841 5197 SEE THE CLASSIFIEDS uoneUponaCrime fg) 5:30 7:30 9:30 Memoris Invisible Man™ 7:30 9:30 Beauty & the Beast (G) 5:30 SHOW TIMES FOR TODAY ONLY Dickinson B41 RADR 2132 IOWA 31 Dickinson STOP, OR MY MOM WILL SHOOT! (PG-13) (5*15), 7:20, 9:15 MY COUSIN VINNY (R) (4*55), 7:15, 9:40 GRAND CANYON (R) (4*60), 7:15, 9:45 BLAMEITON THE BELLBOY (PG-13) FINALANALYSIS(R) (4.1, 51, 7-35 (0-6) FRIED GREENTOMATOES (PG-13) 84.15.75.04.05 Will still offer students the $3.50 price at all evening shows. **3.3** Prime-Timet Show (*) / Senior Citizen Anytime Busta Shuttle! AVOID THE NOID Call Domino's Pizza N. of 15th 841-8002 8321 Iowa S. of 15th 841-7900 1445 W.23rd Hours: Mon.-Thurs. 4p.m.-1a.m. Fri.-Sat. 11a.m.-2a.m. Sun. 11a.m.-1a.m. Shuttle Buster #1 Two, 10" Pizzas Each w cheese and one tapping for just $5.99 Extra toppings 47¢ per topping,per pizza Limited Time Offer NOBODY KNOWS LIKE DOMINO'S DOMINO'S How You Like Pizza At Home Five Dollar Frenzy A Large Pizza w/ one topping for just, $5.00 $5.00 Extra toppings 95¢ each. Limited Time Offer Not Valid w/ any other offer NOBODY KNOWS LIKE DOMINO'S How You Like Pizza At Home.