INTERNATIONAL University Daily Kansan / Friday, February 21. 1992 7 INTERNATIONAL BRIEF'S Washington Bill could halt Haiti deportees The House Judiciary Committee, ignoring a veto threat from the Bush administration, voted 21-12 yesterday to impose a six-month moratorium on returning Haitian boat people to their strife-torn country. The vote to send the bill to the full House was generally along party lines. The measure would bar further repatriations of more than 10,000 Haitians being detained at the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. It would apply to those detained before Feb. 5. Democrats argued that the State Department does not have enough information to justify its assertion that Haitians forced to return have not been persecuted by the military regime. But Republicans argued that the bill only would encourage more Haitians to flee their homeland on rickety boats, which are intercepted by Coast Guard cutters in the Windward Passage between Haiti and Cuba. In a letter to the committee, Attorney General William Barr said senior administration officials would recommend a veto by President Bush if Congress passes the bill. United Nations U.N. proposes peace forces United Nations Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali yesterday proposed sending a 26,000-member peacekeeping mission to Cambodia. It would be the world body's largest and costliest operation to date. The mission's objectives are to demobilize all factions in the Cambodian conflict and oversee the national elections slated for April 1993. Cambodia's government and the three guerrilla groups opposing it signed an accord in October that called for a cease-fire and established an interim government. Since then, all sides have been pressing for the United Nations to hurry troops to their country. Cambodia has been devastated by more than two decades of war. The last 13 years of the conflict pitted the Vietnamese-installed government against three rebel groups, including the Khmer Rouge, who savagely transformed Cambodian society during their 1975-78 rule. The 15-nation Security Council was expected to vote on Boutros-Ghali's $2 billion plan next week. Mexico City Plan seeks to blow smog away A three-day smog alert was lifted yesterday as a university scientist blasted a plan to blow away Mexico City's choking smog with giant fans. Ecologists called for stronger measures against the pollution peril, and the government newspaper published official statistics showing that it will despite an ambitious anti-smog program. El Nacional said 1991 was the worst year for pollution in Mexico City's history, with 192 days of smog — a level far above international safety standards. Many environmentalists expect 1992 to be even worse. In one of the most dramatic signs of how dire the situation has become, city officials this week endorsed studies for a plan to build a series of 100 staircases in the Bay Area so that blast stagnant air out of the Valley of Mexico. Baez said it would be inhuman for Mexico City to export its filty air outlying areas. The smog alert was issued after ozone, the main component of smog in Mexico City, hit 310 points Tuesday on the government scale. From The Associated Press De Klerk announces apartheid referendum CAPE TOWN, South Africa — President F. W. de Klerk stunned the nation yesterday by announcing a whites-only referendum on ending apartheid, and he promised to resign if the referendum is defeated. The Associated Press The move came a day after his ruling National Party lost its second special parliamentary election to the Conservative party, which wants to reinstate Hillary and create a separate homeland for whites. The vote had been seen as a test of white support for political reforms that have been moving the country toward multiracial democracy. Now de Klek will put the issue of apartheid to a whites-only vote. "If I lose that referendum, I will resign," clearing the way for a whites-only general election, de Klerk told the Parliament. "It a question of honor," he said at a later news conference. D Klekd did not set a specific date for the referendum, but he indicated it could take place by the end of March. His action was seen as an attempt to outmaneuver pro-apartheid forces while he still retains white support. Polis say de Klerk is supported by a majority of whites. But the government's power base has been crumbling rapidly because of white unsease about the rapid pace of political change and ending apartheid, the policy of racial separation in a country of 5 million whites and 30 million Blacks. if De klerk were to step down, his departure likely would throw political reform into chaos. De klerk has been the driving force in dismantling apartheid and negotiating a nonracial constitution to give the vote and other political rights to the Black majority The African National Congress, the main Black opposition group, and its allies denounced the referendum plan. "A whites-only referendum is not only the hallmark of racism but also has the effect of delaying movement toward peace and justice for all our people," an ANC statement said. The militant Pan Africanist Congress called de Klerk and his party "white supremacists who believe that our society can be transformed into a democracy only if the white minority approves of it." The government clearly was stunned by its defeat Wednesday in the election to fill a parliamentary seat for Potchefstroom, a national Party stronghold with a similar vote to the Conservatives in November. The Conservatives have been gaining strength among whites frightened by de Klerk's reforms, which are expected eventually to lead to a Black government. A recession, political violence and growing crime have intensified white fears. De Kleerk predicted that he would win the referendum, which would require only a simple majority of A government loss in a general election could bring the right-wing Conservatives to power. The Conservatives insist that whites and Blacks cannot live together as equals. Before de Klerk's announcement, Finance Minister Barend Dplessia warned that South Africa would face renewed economic sanctions if whites tried to reinstate aparheid. Dickinson Dickinson 647 8600 2333-8911 8611 STOP, OR MY MOM WILL SHOOT (PG-13) (5.15) 7.25 9.10 GRANDCANYON(R) (4*3.50, 7.15, 9.45) JFK(R) (4*1.51, 7.45) .DIO FLYER (PG-13) (*4.20, 7.00, 9.20) FINAL ANALYSIS(R) (*4.45, 7.95, 9.50) FRIEDGREENTOMATOES(PG-13) Will still offer students the $3.50 price at all evening shows. $3 Prime-Timer Show (-)/Senior Citizen Anytime Hard rock hotel Capsule (5.150/ 7.930 Beauty & the Beast) G.15.7/15.900 Hook(PG) G.15 Prince of Tides) G.80 J.F.K.(PG-13) G.80 Medicine Man(GP-13) G.75.9/130 CINEMA TWIN 3110 IOWA 841-5191 Great MouseDetective(G) 5.15 720 Bugsy(R) 8.30 Shining Through(R) 5.10 7.90 9.50 SHOWTIMES FOR TODAY ONLY Israel withdraws troops from fighting in Lebanon The Associated Press TYRE, Lebanon — Israeli tanks and troops withdrew today from two villages they had invaded in search of vengeful Shiite Muslim guerrillas who had terrorized Northern Israel since the slaying of their leader five days earlier. Timur Goksel, the representative for the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon, said the Israelis retreated into their self-declared security zone in Southern Lebanon under cover of shellfire. Yesterday, the Israeli force, backed by helicopter gunships, flattened U.N. barricades with a bulldozer and raced into the villages to hunt down Shiite Muslim guerrillas who had been rocketing Israel. Two Israeli soldiers and four Shiite guerrillas were killed in the thrust at the Shiite villages of Yater and Kafra, and at least 33 people were injured. Hundreds of Shiite militiamen from Iran-allied Hezbollah and its U. N. peacekeepers tried to block the Israeli advance, and fistfights broke out before the Israeli soldiers plowed through and seized Yater and Kafra. one-time Shiite rival, Amal, yesterday jammed Lebanon's coastal highway headed south toward the battlefront, their vehicles bristling with AK-47 assault rifles. Some wore headbands inscribed with the battle cry of "Allahu Akkar," GGod Great. Others, mainly civilians, packed belongings and fled north. At least 10,000 Lebanese villagers have fled since the fighting began. Israel said it sent in the 36 tanks and three armored personnel carriers to locate Katyusha launchers and terrorist nests after three days of rocket attacks on Israel by guerrillas of the fundamentalist Hezbollah militia. Israeli gunners fired hundreds of 155mm howitzer rounds on valleys around Kafra and nearby Tibin, apparently to block guerrilla movements. Yater and Kafra face the narrowest strip in Israel's self-proclaimed security zone, from which most of the 126 rockets fired since Monday were launched. Goksel said peacekeeping positions manned by Finnish and Nepalese U.N. soldiers took directhits from I萨里shells. an Israeli Merkava tank with an armor-piercing rocket. "I'm very afraid," one peacekeeper, a Fijian, told an AP reporter from behind a sand-bagged position in Saddiqin. "I want to go home. Too much boomboom here. No good, no good." An unconfirmed Amal report said its troops in Kafra destroyed The latest round of fighting came after the killings of three Israeli soldiers at an Israeli army camp Saturday and the assassination of Hezbollah leader Sheik Abba Musawi in South Lebanon on Sunday. WHAT TO RIDE WHEN YOU'RE THE ENGINE! RICK'S BIKE SHOP 916 Mass., Lawrence, KS (913)841-6642 PARTY HEADQUARTERS! Listed in USA Today as one of the top Spring Break Destinations!! On the beach and just minutes from Old Mexico! 5 Nights/6 Days $200 per person* 4 Nights/5 Days $160 per person* Radisson RESORT SOUTH PADRE ISLAND Call 1-800-292-7704 for more details. *Advanced reservations required. Based on quad occupancy. Security deposit and taxes not included. A magician's spell, the t启蒙 of young lovers and a dream of resistance to create a romance PROSPERO'S BOOKS THE CLASSIC TALE OF LOVE AND ADULTERY IS NOW THE MOTION PICTURE EVENT OF THE SEASON. PROSPERO'S BOOKS HELD OVER UNTIL THURSDAY DAILY - 9:30 ONLY "TRIUMPHANT! ONE OF THE YEAR'S MOST PROVOCATIVE FILMS!" —Peter Towers, ROLLING STONE Magazine ISABELLE HUPPERT Madame Rovary 642 Massachusetts 749-1912 MADAME BOVARY OPENSTODAY FRI-SUN '4:30, 7:00 ONLY MON-THURS '7:00 ONLY Have You Claimed Your Reward? This week only receive a discount coupon and a chance to win prizes by redeeming your receipts for a rebate. Receipts from the Fall 1991 Semester are eligible for a rebate until June 24, 1992. KU D required. Some restrictions apply. KU Bookstores Kansas and Burge Unions The only store that shares its profits with the KU students