Page 8 University Daily Kansan Wednesday, Sept. 26. 1962 Argentina's Future Uncertain Following Military Violence By Phil Newton UPI Foreign News Analyst The week-end of military violence which left Argentina President Jose Maria Guido still in office eliminated what might have been a difficult decision for the United States, but left the future of Argentina still uncertain. Cuido, after vacillating uncertainly between the two sides, finally settled on the winner, the so-called nationalist officers who had demanded early national elections and a quick return to constitutional government. GUIDO'S victory, if it can be called that, prevented an outright military take-over of the government, and thus left the way open for continued United States aid under the Alliance for Progress program. But for Argentina, basic problems remained. Neither the Argentine government nor Argentine merchants could pay their bills. Unemployment mounted steadily. In the last year the cost of living has jumped more than 30 per cent. THERE ALSO were the Peronistas who were at the root of last week's upheaval. The man they followed, former dictator Juan D. Peron, had been dictated seven years before, but they still comprisied more than a third of Argentine labor and as the price of the peso fell, their numbers were growing. growing Neither of the warring military factions wanted a return to Peronism. The losers, who had called upon President Guido to resign, believed that military rule might be necessary for as long as five years to stamp out Peron and Communist influences. THE WINNERS seemed to take a more tolerant view, along the lines held by former President Arturo Frondizi who believed the Peronists and Communists should be won over. Frondizi's own tolerance toward the Peronistas had led to his ouster by the military last March, which in turn had paved the way for the latest crisis. A communique issued by this week's winners called for elections in which "all sections of national life" should participate. This would seem to include the Peronistas whose strength at the polls already has been demonstrated. BUT THE communique also declared that it was the "sacred duty" of the army to prevent formation of any totalitarian government. This would seem to bar both a military junta and a Peron-type government. P-T-P Pushes Textbook Drive People-to-People is piloting a program which provides up to $25 for foreign students to purchase textbooks. Last spring, the P-t-P books for-people committee collected over three tons of used textbooks from University of Kansas students. These books were sold, and the revenue was used for a book scholarship program. Vilhjalmur Ludviksson, Reykjavik, Iceland, sophomore, said: "IT IS WONDERFUL to think that people in your country are so interested in foreign students. To obtain aid in buying books means a lot to the foreign student who comes to KU with little money." Frank W. Thompson Jr., Iola junior and former book committee chairman, said eligibility for book scholarships favors foreign students who have been at KU for a least one year. Thompson said that twenty-one students have received the P-t-P book scholarships. "THE COMMITTEE is expanding the program so that more foreign students will be eligible for scholarships." he added. He said the new P-t-P book committee should triple the number of books collected last semester. David Martin, Coffeville sophomore, is the new book committee chairman. Stephen Munzer, Salina freshman, is vice chairman. Other committee members are Gerry S. Walker, Wichita sophomore, J. Allen Gamon, Kansas City sophomore, Karen Indall, Ottawa sophomore and Paul Piper, Parsons freshman. MARTIN AND his committee will collect books from KU students in January. The books which cannot be used here will be sold to the Kansas Union bookstore and to out-of-town book buvers. Scholarships will be awarded to foreign students during spring enrollment. The committee also hopes to subscribe to foreign newspapers to be placed in Watson Library. We Rent Most Anything Anderson Rental 812 N. H. West Asserts Airlift Rights BERLIN — (UPI) — Western officials expressed determination today to keep air routes open to isolated West Berlin even if Russian harassment becomes severe. The officials said the air lanes that saved the city from starvation during the Berlin airlift of 1948-49 would be kept open at any cost. Although they did not spell out what measures would be taken, it was believed the Western plan includes the use of fighter cover for transport planes if necessary. It was feared here that this might signal the start of a serious campaign of Soviet harassment of air traffic in the three 20-milewide corridors above East Germany to West Berlin. YESTERDAY Russian fighters buzzed a U.S. Air Force transport and an Air France commercial airliner in the Berlin airlanes. Western officials said they have plans to combat any Russian attempt to restrict Western air traffic. They said keeping the air lanes open would be one of the easiest problems they would face if the Russians begin a general crackdown on Berlin access. The United States, Britain and France delivered sharply worded notes to the Russian Foreign Ministry in Moscow last night, charging the Soviet Union with responsibility for the "brutality" of the Communist East German regime and continued tension in Berlin. Thus the issues remain unclear. THE BUZZING incident yesterday followed a week-long American troop movement designed to show Western determination to exercise Berlin access rights under four-power agreements with the Russians. Also unclear is the question of elections. Originally they had been scheduled for October, 1963, with the new administration to take office in May, 1964, on what would have been the normal expiration of Frondizi's term. Another question is what to do about congress, dissolved by Guido under earlier military pressure. And there remains the fact that Guido's rule still is a front for the military, whatever the faction in control. The obvious division within the country does not encourage any quick recovery. This provision is a substitute for a section in the House-passed rate increase bill that would bar materials regarded as political propaganda from the first, second and third class mails. Bob Blank, Photographer 721 Mass. VI 3-0330 mail. It would be delivered only if the addresssee wants it. WASHINGTON — (UPI) — Senate leaders called up for probable passage today a bill balancing a billion-dollar pay raise for federal workers against a mail rate increase of $603 million. THE HOUSE-approved ban was sponsored by Rep. Glenn Cunningham, R-Neb., who says the taxpayers are subsidizing Communist subversion. The Kennedy administration fought vigorously to keep it out of the Senate bill. Postal Hike Due for Passage The big bill, which also would raise the pay of aides to congressmen and boost federal retirement benefits by $50 million a year, is among the most complex ever reported to the Senate by its Post Office committee. Enactment of the legislation would mean a penny-a-piece increase in the cost of posting first class and air mail letters and cards starting Jan. 7. THE ONLY section that promised to stir a floor fight deals with attempts to keep Communist propaganda out of the mail stream. As brought before the Senate, the measure would direct the Treasury Department and the Postmaster General to intercept Communist-origin Sen. Joseph S. Clark, D-Pa, planned to offer an amendment to knock out the Senate committee's substitute. He said the screening procedure would invite Red retaliation against distribution of free world mail in communist countries. Kansan Classifieds Get Results Hamburgers 15c KU FOOTBALL EVERY SATURDAY on KLWN BROUGHT TO YOU by SANDY'S THRIFT AND SWIFT DRIVE-IN Across from Hillcrest French Fries 10c diebolt's 843 Mass. announce... the opening of The Alley Shop Offering the smartest in ladies sportswear... villager glen of michigan catalina harburt lady hathaway gordon-ford mr. pants northlander