10 Mondav. April 25. 1994 O NATION/WORLD UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Breakfast • Lunch • Dinner 728 Massachusetts = 8425199 Treat Yourself Graduation announcements caps and gowns, & class rings at the lowest prices...always Jayhawk Bookstore "At the top of Naismith Hill" Hrs: 8-7 M-Th., 8-5 Fri. 9-5 Sat. 12-4 Sun. 843-3826 843-3826 AIRLINE HOTLINE 841-7117 - Domestic& - International Travel - Bus Charters - Summer Vacations - JobInterviews - Study Abroad StudentDiscounts LOWEST FARES Southern Hills Center 1601 W.23rd, M-F 9-5:30 Sat; 9:30-2 Located By Perkins EPSON ActionNote™ 4SLC/50 - 486SLC, 4Mb RAM, 50MH> - 120Mb Hard Drive Lightweight E-Full - Lightweight 5.5 lbs only $1,749 - DOS 6.0, Windows 3.1 Business World Software—At Educational Discounts! Business World Software - At Educational Discounts * Norton Desktop ... $75^{20}$ * CentralPoint AntiVirus ... $49^{26}$ * Turbo C++ ... $49^{30}$ More information ConnectingPoint COMPUTER CENTER 813 Mass • Downtown Lawrence • 843-7584 Creating a Better Way of Life... That is Affordable & Convenient! Autumn Run Apartment Homes - Free Basic Cable - 1 & 2 BR Apartments - On Site Laundry - KU Bus Route Do You Answer Yes to Any of the Following? Office Located at: 2100 Heatherwood Dr. A6 841-7726 Office Hours M-F 9-5 Saturday 1-4 - Married Couple, One of - Married Couple, One or Whom is a Full Time Student. - Single Parent, Living w/ Minor Child(ren). - Married Students Filing Jointly on Tax Returns. Income Fits in Chart of people in apartment 1 $17,500 2 $19,600 3 $22,050 4 $24,500 Serbs violate cease-fire despite NATO's threats The Associated Press SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina — Mortar and sniper fire broke out in the besieged town of Gorazde yesterday, hours after U.N. soldiers began deploying between Bosnian Serbs and Muslim defenders and nearly a day after the Serbs were to have stopped their attack. Serb leaders agreed Friday in talks with the United Nations to stop their advance on the strategically important town by midday Saturday — an agreement that came just hours after NATO threatened to launch air strikes. The likelihood of air strikes, however, appeared to be close to nil because of the deployment of about 200 U.N. peacekeepers in the town. About 300 peacekeepers due to arrive yesterday had not left Sarajevo by mid-after-noon, apparently because of Serb objections, U.N. officials said. But reports reaching Sarajevo and Belgrade yesterday indicated that the cease-fire had been broken and that at least some of the Serb besiegers were ignoring a NATO ultimatum to pull out. Three U.N. helicopters took off from Sarajevo airport for the evacuation of about 120 wounded people from Gorazde —the first of several planned airlifts. Three other helicopters left But there were immediate problems. U.N. officials said Serbs demanded that the helicopters land at aSerb-bheld checkpoint to be searched and inspected. from a U.N. base at nearby Kiseljak. NATO issued an ultimatum to the Serbs on Friday to stop the assault on Gorazde and gave the Serbs until early yesterday to pull back at least 1.9 miles from the center of town. Mai. Dacre Holloway, a U.N. representative in Sarajevo, said later yesterday that the Serbs "hadn't withdrawn at 4 o'clock this morning. I don't know what's happened since then." U. N. soldiers who arrived just before midnight yesterday deployed on a perimeter 1.9 miles from Gorazde's center, said Col. Richard Pernod, another U.N. representative. But Gen. Andre Soubirou, the U.N. commander for Sarajevo who is now in Gorazde, was satisfied that the Serbs were withdrawing, said U.N. representative Mal. Guv Vinet. The town, the heart of a mainly Muslim enclave in eastern Bosnia, has been the target of a three-week Serb offensive that has killed more than 700 people. Radio Sarajevo reported that Bosnian Serbs had launched an infantry attack on a Gorazde factory early yesterday, wounding six people. It also carried a report from Enes Musovic, a local ham radio operator, saying that the Serbs had not withdrawn from the center of town. A government representative later quoted the ham radio operator as saying the town was being shelled. Early yesterday, the top U.N. official for former Yugoslavia, Yasushi Akashi, said in a statement after the withdrawal deadline that the situation had not required air strikes. A U.N. statement handed to reporters several hours later repeated that in the absence of a cease-fire and a Serb pullout from the city, "the secretary-general will immediately authorize the use of air strikes to protect the safe area of Gorazde." Meanwhile, a 14-truck U.N. relief convoy carrying 56 tons of flour and 33 tons of family parcels left Belgrade for Gorazde yesterday, the first such shipment for the enclave in nearly a month. NATO also demanded that by 7:01 pm, tomorrow, the Serbs move their heavy weapons back 12.5 miles. NATO also threatened air strikes if there were attacks on five other "safe areas" in Bosnia. The casualty toll in the offensive stands at 715 dead and 1,970 wounded. The United Nations had turned down a NATO request around midday Saturday for authorization to bomb. Indians attack Tibetan exiles The Associated Press NEW DELHI, India — Displaying rare anger against Tibetans and their spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, scores of Indians demanded yesterday that Tibetan exiles leave a town where they have lived for three decades. The violence erupted after a local man was stabbed to death allegedly by a Tibetan during a fight Thursday in Dharansala, 250 miles northwest of New Delhi, the Indian Express newspaper reported. War goes on in Rwanda; mediation efforts fail The Tibetan, Yashi Chhumbe, was injured, and police have charged him with murder, the report said. On Friday and Saturday, mobs set fire to shops owned by Tibetans and attacked the office of the Dalai Lama's government-in-exile. At least 15 people were injured. The Dalai Lama fled Tibet during a failed 1959 uprising against Chinese rule. NAIROBI, Kenya — Rwandan rebels and government forces exchanged heavy mortar and gunfire in the capital yesterday, and efforts to mediate an end to more than two weeks of bloodletting failed in neighboring Tanzania. The Associated Press "The fire is very, very heavy," said Abdul Kabia, a U.N. representative in the capital, Kigali. "The fire is very, very heavy." Kabia said government representatives to the talks had not shown up when the United Nations had sent a plane Saturday to bring them to Tanzania. Military officers in Kigali told the United Nations that they had been unable to contact officials in Gitarama, the town southwest of the capital where the government fled the fighting two weeks ago. U. N. relief agencies have pulled their staff out of the country to escape the slaughter, leaving the International Committee of the Red Cross and a handful of other private aid organizations to cope. President Ali Hassan Mwinyi of Tanzania had invited Rwanda's government and the Rwandan Patriotic Front for talks on ending the carriage that has killed an estimated 100,000 people. The fighting is between governmentforces, dominated by themajority Hutus, and the rebel front, madeup mainly of minority Tutsis. Marauding gangs of Hutus, wieldingmachetes and automatic weapons,roam the streets killing Tutsis. Tanzania Foreign Ministry official Kassim Mwawado said it had been doubtful all along that talks would get off the ground because the rebels opposed face-to-face meetings with government officials. The rebels said they had gone to Tanzania only to present their position, not to negotiate. It wasn't immediately possible to ascertain the fate of an unilateral cease-fire the rebels declared Saturday. The rebels said the cease-fire would begin tonight at midnight if the government ended all killings in areas it controlled and accepted an international inquiry into the slaughter. Blast near ANC offices kills seven The Associated Press Among the victims was an ANC candidate in this week's election. JOHANNESBURG, South Africa — A car packed with explosives blew up near the headquarters of the African National Congress in downtown Johannesburg yesterday morning, killing at least seven people and wounding scores. Glass shattered over a twoblock area and smoke billowed from burning buildings. The blast disintegrated the car and toke a hole in the pavement 4 feet deep and 6 feet wide. "I thought I was dead," said Tina Dhumess, 42, who had cuts all over her head. She was riding in a taxi van when the blast occurred. "I was praying that my soul was going to heaven. Then after five minutes I could still hear, and I thanked God," she said. Police Col. Steve Senekal said the car had been packed with as much as 200 pounds of explosives. It was parked about halfway between the ANC's national headquarters and regional offices. Senekal said at least seven people had died, mainly pedestrians near the blast site. Hospitals said 98 people had been hurt, many of them cut by flying glass. At least 39 people were admitted to Johannesburg General Hospital, and five were in critical condition, said Trevor Frankish, a doctor there. The ANC candidate killed in the blast was Susan Keane, who was driving into the ANC office for a meeting. Keane was a candidate for the regional legislature of the Pretoria-Johannesburg area in the country's first all-race election, which begins tomorrow and ends Thursday. Right-wing extremists had threatened drastic action before the ballot, but there was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast. But a representative for the militant right-wing Afrikaner Resistance Movement, which has threatened to wage war rather than live under a Black government, denied involvement. "It's a typical thing, as soon as something happens, to blame the right wing," said the representative, who refused to give his name. "We don't believe our guys would do that, because we have told them not to." $15 Today $30 This Week By donating your blood plasma. Walk-ins Welcome! Lawrence Donor Center 816 W. 24th Behind Laird-Noller FOrd 749-5750 Hours: M-F 9-6:30 Sat 10-4 GO FAR IN THE AIR FORCE. Learn how far the Air Force can take. If you're a college graduate,you may qualify for Air Force Officer Training School. After completing Officer Training School, you can become a commissioned Air Force officer with: - great starting pay - 1-800-423-USAF - 30 days vacation with pay per year - medical and dental care OPPORTUNITIES - management opportunities Go far in a career as an Air Force officer. Call AIR FORCE OPPORTUNITIES - management opportunities AIR FORCE Birthright 843-4821 1246 Kentucky For a confidential, caring friend, call us. We're here to listen and talk with you. FREE PREGNANCY TESTING. Hours: M1-3 & 6-8 T1-3 & 6-8 W1-4 TH6-8 F1-4 Hockenbury 25¢ Draws IF YOU'RE PREGNANT AND YOU NEED HELP NOW... 50c Boulevards $3th Cover Tues..$1 $^{50}$ Well Drinks Tavern 1016 Massachusetts Wed.. $1.00 Anything The Beer Garden is NOWOPEN 865-4055 Get Mixed Up At MaggieMoo's 2540 Iowa Next to Applebees New Summer Hours Sunday - Thursday 11am-11pm Made-From-Scratch Friday, Saturday 11am - Midnight Fresh-As-You-Can-Get-it