8 Friday, February 25, 1994 UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN 1994 C.L.A.S.S. Award Nomination Forms can be picked up at Organizations & Activities Office 410 Kansas Union. DUEBY 5:00 FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 25TH. STUDENT THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS SENATE Now you can choose contacts on occasion. Admit it. There are times when you'd rather not wear your glasses. When you're exercising or playing sports, for example. On special evenings out. Or to make important business presentations. Now there's a contact lens designed specially to be worn on occasions like those, whether that's once a week, twice a week, or every day. Introducing Occasions" single-use disposable contact lenses from Bausch & Lomb. They're surprisingly affordable and completely hassle-free. You simply wear once and then throw them away. Visit our office and ask about a free trial of Occasions" contacts (professional fee not included). Once you've tried them, you'll never think of contacts the same way again. © Beach & Lomb Incorporated, Beach & Lomb and Occasions™ are trademarks of Beach & Lomb Incorporated. S.-0007 19C3800 THE NEWS in brief Bosnians optimistic as U.N.-brokered deal promises cease-fire SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina Front lines were tense yesterday, a day before Muslim-led government and Croat forces were to begin a cease-fire in the first major test of a U.N. pledge to expand the Sarajevo truce. Despite reports of fighting in central Bosnia, where government and Bosnian Croat troops have battled over territory for more than a year, officials in neighboring Croatia were optimistic that this cease-fire could hold. Several previous truces have collapsed. "This one sounds more serious than the previous ceasefire agreements because it's part of a broader process and new initiatives," Croatian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ivana Moric said in Zagreb. The latest accord was signed Wednesday by Rasim Delic, commander of the Muslim-led forces, and the chief of Bosnian Croat forces, Ante Roso. The cease-fire is to take effect at noon today. Both sides are under mounting foreign pressure to broaden a two-week truce that has mostly held between government forces and Bosnian Serbs besieging Sarajevo, the capital. About 15 mortar shells hit Wednesday in eastern Mostar, where 500 Muslims are under Croat siege, and there were heavy exchanges of small-arm fire, said David Fillingham, U.N. spokesman in Kiselak, west of Sarajevo. Muslims and Croats initially were allies against the Bosnian Serbs, who grabbed 70 percent of Bosnia after rebelling against its secession from Serb-dominated Yugoslavia two years ago. Today's cease-fire covers central Bosnia and Mostar in the southwest, where Muslims and Croats have fought intensely since their alliance broke down. Under terms of the cease-fire agreement, U.N. troops are to be deployed in sensitive areas to ensure compliance. Heavy weapons are to be withdrawn or placed under U.N. control. North Korea reportedly has offered to let a U.N. team into the country next week for nuclear inspections, and the United States has accepted the proposal. The offer reported by a Suth Korean news agency would mark a small breakthrough in the Communist North's standoff with the international community over its suspected development of nuclear weapons. Inspections to be allowed SEOUL, South Korea But the offer does not include the inspection of two sites that the U.N. International Atomic Energy Agency suspects the North has been using for nuclear weapons production. The Youhap news agency said the offer came Wednesday during U.S.-North Korean talks in New York. Inspections would begin Tuesday North Korea also is demanding that the United States cancel "Team Spirit," its annual military exercises with South Korea, and not insist North Korea conduct talks with its southern rival on making the peninsula a nuclear-free zone. The North agreed under pressure last week to accept some inspections, but it has dragged its feet on issuing visas to the inspectors. U. S. and South Korean officials have made those talks a prerequisite to high-level talks between the United States and North Korea. They also said that the cancellation of "Team Spirit," In Washington, two U.S. senators, Sam Nunn, D-Ga., and Richard Lugar, R-Ind., criticized President Clinton Wednesday for not having a clear policy on North Korea. which North Korea considers preparations for nuclear war, would depend on the nuclear inspections. COLESBERG, South Africa Leaders want end to protests President F.W. de Klerk and African National Congress leader Nelson Mandela called separately yesterday for a halt to organized protests against election opponents. Their pleas followed the shooting death Wednesday night of a woman in the Roodepan Black township, which occurred during a clash between supporters of the president and the ANC. Isghak Adams, the son-in-law of Howard Isaacs who is a lawmaker in de Klerk's National Party, was charged in the slaving and released on a $150 bail. police said. De Klerk has warned that the intensifying violence could taint the results of the April 26-28 election, the first to include the black majority. His attempts to campaign in Black townships repeatedly have been disrupted by ANC sumporters. De Klerk blamed the ANC for the violence, saying it had organized protests to disrupt his campaign. He called for the Independent Electoral Commission to investigate. "I hereby solemnly reiterate the ANC's commitment to a free and peaceful political contest," Mandela said. "We condemn, in the strongest terms, any actions aimed at infringing the rights of any political party, no matter who or what the party's name, to campaign in any part of the country." Mandela issued a statement yesterday condemning the violence and ordering ANC members to refrain from such disruptions. He said the ANC would make sure any members violating its order were disciplined. CINCINATTI A federal appeals court refused to reconsider its ruling that the government committed fraud by withholding information John Demanjik could have used to fight his extradition to Israel on war crimes charges. On Nov. 17, a three-judge panel of the 6th Circuit Court threw out a 1985 order authorizing Demjanjuk's extradition. Yesterday's action by the full court reaffirms that ruling. Court reaffirms fraud ruling The 73-year-old retired autoworker from suburban Cleveland was extradited to Israel in 1986, where he was convicted and sentenced to death for being "Ivan the Terrible," a Nazi guard who tortured and murdered Jews at the Treblinka concentration camp in Poland during World War II. The 6th Circuit Court rejected that conclusion, however, and in arguing for reconsideration the Justice Department said the court may have violated federal rules in doing so. The 6th Circuit Court appointed U.S. District Judge Thomas Wiseman Jr. of Nashville, Tenn., in 1992 to investigate the government's handling of the case. Wiseman concluded last year that federal prosecutors withheld evidence but did not do so intentionally. The Israeli Supreme Court overturned that conviction in July and Demjanjuk was allowed to return to the United States in September. U. S. District Judge Frank Battisti ruled in 1981 that Demjanjuk lied about his Nazi past when he applied for citizenship. He found that Demjanjuk had served the Nazis at the Trawniki and Treblinka Nazi camps in Poland during World War II. Compiled from The Associated Press. KANSAS JAYHAWKS KANSAS VS. UNC - Asheville Monday, February 28th - 7 pm Allen Fieldhouse - Senior Recognition Admission: Adults $ ^{40}$ / Kids $ ^{100} $ Students FREE with KU ID Payless ShoeSource 1