Seattle's showdown Georgetown, Houston advance Sports, p. 14. The University Daily KANSAN CLOUDY Rainy day. Published since 1889 by students of the University of Kansas High.45.Low.30 Details on p.2. Vol. 94, No. 122 (USPS 650-640) Monday morning, March 26. 1984 Budget plan calls for raise in faculty pay Revised proposal receives approval of Senate committee By ROB KARWATH Staff Reporter KU faculty would receive an 8 percent salary increase beginning in July, and 10 graduate teaching positions would be restored, under a new curriculum. The program was approved Friday by a Kansas Senate committee. The Senate Ways and Means Committee unanimously approved the $620.2 million fiscal 1985 budget bill, which would provide $4.7 million more for the state university system and the Regents office than Gov. John Carlin proposed earlier this year. The Senate plan represents a $1.7 million increase over the House version of the bill approval last week. THE REGENTS BUDGET now goes to the Senate floor for consideration. State Sen. Wint Winter Jr., R.Lawrence, said he thought the bill would pass through the Senate without stormy opposition. "I wouldn't look for any changes at all," he said. If the Senate approves the bill in its present form or amends it further, the bill will go to a conference committee, where a panel of House and Senate legislators will resolve the differences between the two versions. The bill then must be approved in both houses before it goes to Carlin. The Senate-approved budget includes $153.4 million for the University of Kansas and $159.4 million for the University of Kansas Medical Center. Included in that $153.4 million is $107,000 to restore 10 of the 21 graduate teaching positions eliminated in the summer of 1982, when Carolin Benton was from the Regents budget to avert a fiscal crisis. THE HOUSE VOTED to restore the 10 graduate positions, but did not allocate money to pay for the salaries of those teachers, said Stacey Manning, president and chairman of a Ways and Means subcommittee. See REGENTS, p. 7, col. 1 David and Patricia Hopper of Eudora, both supporters of Walter Mondale, wait patiently for the final counting of votes at the Douglas County Democratic Caucus at West Junior High School, 2700 Harvard Road. Hopper said yesterday that he would vote for whoever won the Democratic nomination but said he hoped that candidate would be Walter Mondale. See related stories on p. 2 and p. 3. Leftist raids disrupt Salvadoran election By United Press International SANSALVADOR, El Salvador - Leftist rebels yesterday raided towns, burned ballots and forced suspensions in voting, complicating a presidential election hampered by a confusion-wracked electoral system and a nationwide blackout. In the country's first free presidential election in 50 years, Salvadorans were choosing among eight candidates. Each promised different solutions to end the nation's civil war, launched by rebels in 1979 to topple the U.S.-backed government. Turnout in the election, which the Reagan administration has helped finance and considers a crucial test of its Central American policy, was reported lighter than in 1982, when about 1.5 million Salvadorans voted for a constituent assembly. THE LEADING CANDIDATES were Jose Napoleon Duarte, a former president and candidate of the most important Christian Democratic right (Austria) and right Nationalist Republican Alliance and Francisco Jose Guerrero, of the conservative National Conciliation Party. Officials in nine of 18 municipalities in eastern Usulatan province — formally army-dominated — said that they finished counting votes late Sunday. Despite pledges of non-interference by some rebel leaders, military officials and journalists said that at least 31 soldiers and two rebels died yesterday when guerrillas attacked towns in eastern El Salvador in an effort to disrupt voting. They said that Guerreiro had 10,62 votes; d'Aubusson, 10,409; and Duarte, 10,300, with the other candidates trailing. Observers said, however, that the vote was too small to indicate a trend. Balloting won't relieve troubles in El Salvador Officials said polling had been suspended in at least 45 villages and hamlets in five provinces See EL SALVADOR, p. 5, col. 1 By GARY SMITH Kansan Columnist The initial round of presidential elections in E1 Salvador — the first such free expression there in 50 years — is over. Those voters who wanted to vote, who were eligible to cast ballots, and who were able to ANALYSIS reach a polling place amidst the heavy fighting and election confusion, have done so. whatever the outcome, may not substantially prove anything or suggest a solution to the vast array of seemingly insurmountable problems contained in the tiny but troubled country. IF PREDICCTIONS OF Central American observers prove correct, Jose Napolean Duarte, of the moderate Christian Democratic Party, will win the election with about 40 percent of the vote. His opponent, d'Aubusson of the extreme-right, Nationalist Republican Alliance, will place second. The Salvadaron electoral system calls for a candidate to receive 50 percent of the vote. Therefore, it is likely that yesterday's votes merely trimmed the number of candidates from 100 to 50, so a runoff election will be conducted between Duarte and d'Ambassao, probably in May. But the elections in El Salvador yesterday Thus, the very questions that surrounded yesterday's vote will be carried into the runoff in May. The biggest question — whether either of us can construct a workable government — remains. Most observers think not, especially in light of the leftists' distaste for a workable democracy. The right side of the debate THE LEFT ALSO demonstrated its views Bowersock camaraderie survives from simpler times See ELECTION, p. 5, col. 4 Staff Reporter By SHARON BODIN Staff Reporter The abandoned warehouses, once the pulsating heart of Lawrence's industrial center, now contain only piles of obsolete machinery and At night, the Bowersock area looks like a lonely, forgotten place hidden beneath the shadow of a modern city hall and perched on the ear of the dam that stretches across on Kaw River. MONDAY MORNING dusty steel tracks running along their cement floors. ALAN ARBOGAST. A former KU student and a part-time worker at the Bowersock Mills and Power Company, has researched the Bowersock area's history. He says that around the turn of the century, the Bowersock plant provided power for the riverfront industries — a paper company and box factory, a flour mill and a barbed wire company. But now the plant each day produces only enough hydroelectric power to support a At its height in the late 19th century, the plant employed workers around the clock. About 10 employees then worked at the plant, twice the number that now works there. Now three full-time and two part-time workers keep the power company in operation. residential area of about nine square blocks, Arbogast said. During his hours at the plant, Thorpe says, he can hear cars and trucks whizzing by on the Massachusetts Street Bridge, which overlooks the plant's main walkway. The car's drivers are unaware of the plant's existence and function, as the red taillights disappear into the night. "We are like a family down here," Arbogast said. "People really look out for one another. It takes a real different kind of person to work with — one bordering on strange, I suppose." THE CAMARADERIE between these employ- ees and the workers from the simpler times of the 19th century. Bowersock workers who have the night shift, from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., mostly spend their time 'baby-sitting' the plant, said Steve Thorp, a developer who works about 40 hours a week at Bowersock. A breeze blows across the walkway. Even so, the river supports its own separate community, he said, and the Bowersock workers thrive in that community as they maintain the dam and keep the plant running. BROWN RIVER WATER flows into the plant and out through long iron gates that filter it, as the hydroelectric power is trapped and event led to the Kansas Power and Light Company. "It gets kind of spooky here at night," Arbogast admitted. A nearby chemical plant projects a red glow onto the night sky. But the plant closes when the river gets too high, and maintenance work on the dam is dangerous when the river is swollen, as it now is, Thorpe said. PROVENANCE ARBOGAST STARTED working at Bowersock three years ago, in the spring of 1881, when he was a KU student. He left to be an archaeologist, but his love for the river drew him back to Bowersock. Although the power generated by the plant is not essential, providing a fraction of KP&L's power, the workers are sparked by the life it provides them. "There's something about the river that's "When the sun's coming up and you're standing out in the middle of the river and it's nice morning, that's a great feeling," he said. "It's amazing with an element that most people can't deal with." The river has power because "you have no control over it," he said. always fascinated me," he said. "I hang around down here a lot. It's the environment of the place that appeals to me." Arbegast said his most memorable opportunity for improvisation came in the spring of 1982, when heavy rains had swollen the river so much that the water had risen to 19 feet by the dam, far higher than the average of between 8 feet and 9 feet. "There's a real sense of accomplishment when you dislodge that whole pile," he said. "You're confronted with problems like that all the time where you have to improvise." "There was so much driftwood out there, you could walk out on the water, on the wood," he Thorpe enjoys working on the dam because of the opportunity to improvise, he said. Finally, Arbogast dislodged a large piece of driftwood that was creating the jam. Protesters say French movie promotes rape By DAVID SWAFFORD Staff Reporter Staff Reporter A group of 15 protesters, angered over scenes in the French X-rated movie "Emmanuelie," gathered outside Dye Hall Saturday night and surrounded by members of supporting a movie that promotes rape. See MOVIE, p. 5, col. 1 "Each of you who sees this are supporting violence against women," shouted one protester, with a sign in hand. Other protesters shouted at her and mocked the moderator, rebuking them for attending the film. Sara Morgan, Lawrence graduate student, said that she was protesting the film because of its content. Morgan pointed out an article in Friday's Kansan that she described the film many of the people in line ignored the protesters as they shivered in the cold night; others shoved their way through the protesters into the building. KU police were not called to the disturbance, and a police spokesman said the department had been informed. auditorium in Dyce Hall on Saturday that the film promoted violence against women. About 15 people protest at the showing of "Emmanuelle," a French X-rated movie. The protesters told people entering an Staff Reporter Rv TODD NELSON Officials seek tougher rules on hall guests Fred McEhenie, director of the office of residential programs, said the Residential Programs Advisory Board probably would approve a proposal to change the current policy, which allows a resident to have a guest of the residence overnight if the resident's roommate agrees. KU students living in residence halls next year probably will not be able to have guests of the opposite sex stay in their rooms overnight, a KU official said yesterday. "I THINK WHAT we're doing is highlighting the fact that it's in the contracts," McElhienie said. "People have ignored this, and it's just slipped away. We are at the point now where we would just like to get back to more rigid enforcement." The board might take action on the proposal at a meeting Thursday, said McEllenbe, an executive director of the organization. McElhene said that the tougher policy was aimed at anyone who wants to spend the night as a guest. The proposal stemmed, he said, from concerns about security in KU residence halls because unescorted and unregistered guests sometimes came into the halls. Complaints from residents and their parents about roommates who abused the current visitation policy have also brought about the need for policy changes, he said. "People don't want students running around who could rob or assault." McEllenie said. "This is not acceptable to us and to a great number of students." McEhlene said. THE VISITATION policy now allows opposite-sex guests in public areas and private rooms, with the roommate's permission, at any time and without incident, except during restricted hours in some halls. MeElhene said that under the proposal, for example, a male guest could still visit a woman in her office or private room. Security hours begin when all outside doors, except the front door, are locked. During security hours, invited or escorted guests may visit private rooms and may be admitted to private rooms if invited. However, during restricted hours, visitors of the opposite sex are not permitted in private rooms. See VISITORS, p. 5, col. 3 1