University Daily Kansan, March 23, 1984 NATION AND WORLD Page 13 Official defends role in steel merger By United Press International WASHINGTON — Assistant Attorney General Paul McGrath, under fire from steel-state senators, defended his handling of the LTV-Republic steel merger yesterday while he acknowledged that the Justice Department's guidelines were under review. McGraith, chief of the department's antitrust division, told a Senate subcommittee that despite the tentative approval of the LTV-Republic merger, it was unlikely a similar merger between National Steel Corp. and U.S. Steel Corp. would be permitted. He said that LTV and Republic had agreed to sell facilities in Ohio and Alabama to meet Justice Department concerns about overconcentration of market power for certain steel products, and that National and U.S. Steel refused to consider similar changes. "The companies (U.S. Steel and National) were not willing to divest an ounce of capacity." McGrath said that the two proposed mergers posed special problems because they came from different backgrounds. - Arlen Specter, R-Pa. 'It may be necessary to legislate to force the Justice Department to take into account imports in making merger decisions.' CONSIDERED TOGETHER, McGrath said. McGrath, however, was repeatedly criticized and questioned by Sans. Dan Quayle, R-Ind., John Heinz, R-Pa., and Arlen Specter, R-Pa., for not fully considering the impact of force competition from foreign steelmakers in the U.S. market. "It is absolutely incomprehensible to me how the Justice Department can ignore competition they (U.S. steelmakers) get from the world market," said Heinz. SPECTER SAID, "It may be necessary to legislate to force the Justice Department to take into account imports in making merger decisions." Qauley told McGrath his failure to address imports was fueling a campaign in Congress — strongly opposed by the administration — to limit steel imports to 15 percent of the U.S. market. Imports now take more than 20 percent of the market. "We have got to have some flexibility and understanding, particularly with the steel industry's current problems," Quayle said. "If we don't see that, I think you are going to see some public policy decisions that you are not going to like." McGrath acknowledged the Justice Department is reviewing its merger guidelines, especially the role played by imports in providing competition for U.S. steelmakers. But he told the senators there are areas of the industry where imports did not have much impact and thus should not be considered a major factor in merger cases. "I think it is important to recognize that some line has to be drawn," he said. "We do have to find some way of differentiating between these various situations." Hinckley asks forgiveness in letter sent to newspaper By United Press International WASHINGTON — John Hincley Jr., in a letter published yesterday in the Washington Post, asked forgiveness for his attempt to kill his ex-wife. “I was mentally ill, but “I’m getting well” now. Hinckley was found not guilty by reason of insanity for what he now calls a "creazy assassination attempt," and has been contained in Washington in a financial trial in Washington for psychiatry treatment. He sent the Post an "open letter" he wrote to Reagan and asked the newspaper to publish it March 30, the anniversary of his history about it was instead printed yesterday. Reagan and three other men were wounded when Hinckley opened fire outside a Washington hotel in 1981. The president and two law enforcement agents recovered, but White House press secretary James Brady, who was shot in the head, suffered brain damage and partial paralysis. "I am very sorry for the shooting," Hinckley wrote "I thank God no one died, but I still wear the fact that James Brady is more important, and his life is less than what it should be." Hinckley said he wrote a similar letter to ogoga, who had been sent for my help by the Secret. According to the Post, Hinckley expressed "great remorse for the pain I inflicted on so many people, including the emotional suffering incurred and the violence of the president and the three other victims. "On March 30, 1981, I was a different person than I am today," he said. "Three years of therapy and love has made all the difference in the world. . . . I was mentally ill when I pulled the trigger and not responsible for my action." MX missiles may be distributed in Wyoming air base silos by '86 Now, he said, "I'm getting well," and he hoped the entire country would "please forgive me for my crime." By United Press International WASHINGTON — Top Air Force officials told a doubting House subcommittee yesterday that the first 10 MX missiles could be distributed in December 1986 and delaying them would send the wrong message to Moscow. "I would be the first to acknowledge the schedule is tight." Maj. Clifton Wright told the House Appropriations military construction subcommittee. But, he said, "I'm confident we can do the job on time and on cost." Brig. Gen. Gordon Fornell told the panel that the missiles will be put in Minuteman III missile system. He said the plan is to use a nuclear warhead. on time, "barring any schedule or funding deliberately placed in front of the program. The House Appropriation Committee's investigative staff has concluded that problems may arise from the administration's ability to have the missiles in place so soon. Fornell said the staff conclusions were wrong. "I object to the inference that the systems will not be fully tested . . . all systems will be tested." he said. Rep Joseph Addbake, D-N.Y., an MX opponent who chairs a defense subcommittee, said the $5.5 billion already invested or planned in research and development for the MX is as effective a showing of national resolve as deployment. By United Press International WASHINGTON — Leslie Lenkowsky, acting deputy director of the U.S. Information Agency, was an "active participant" in a screening process that blacklisted prominent liberals from the USIA's speakers' program, a committee staff report showed yesterday. Lenkowski said his reasons for rejecting or raising questions about potential speakers were not based on their political or ideological beliefs, but USIA career employees interviewed by the staff of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee disagreed. "Without exception" the employees saw the review as a means for political appointees to screen out speakers "found objectionable or ideological grounds." the staff report stated. first appeared early last month. Lenkowsky denied any knowledge of the practice and said he ordered it ended as soon as he heard of it. WHEN STORIES about the agency blacklist Although documents relating to the blacklists were ordered destroyed by the USIA general counsel, three review lists survived. Those lists of names bore Lenkovsky's marginal notes and show that he questioned the selection of several names on the list, but his reasons are not stated in the annotations. The committee staff, after interviewing 22 current or former employees, concluded Lenkowsky "was an active participant in the screening process." A committee staff member said Lenkowsky has seen the staff report, but regards it as "one-sided" and said it does not contain evidence that supports his position. THE REPORT SAID two current high-level SIA employees and one former official 'have come under fire' over their handling of the report. concerning his involvement with the blacklist and the destruction of related documents." The staff report stated, "The former associate director for programs, Scott Thompson, has termed Lenkowski's denial of knowledge of the blacklists' a flat lie" John Mosher, director of the program, told the Times when present when the order to destroy documents was given, contrary to Lenkowski's statement. The Foreign Relations Committee has delayed action on Lenkowski's nomination as USIA deputy director, but a hearing is set tentatively for Monday. The staff report suggested that "as a result of these contradictions," the committee may want to ask Thompson, Mosher and Harvey to testify MON.-THURS. 4-11:30 p.m. FRIDAY 4 P.M.-1:30 A.M. SATURDAY 11-1:30 A.M. SUNDAY 11 A.M.-13:10 P.M. 27th & Iowa 843-1474 The Grinder Man ZR106 TREASURE HUNT SPECIAL 4:30 p.m. til 7:30 p.m. every night 1) Any 6" sub 2) 14 oz. drink 3) Bag of chips 1) Any 12" sub 2) 14 oz. drink 3) Bag of chips $2.25 $3.50 DINE-IN OR CARRY-OUT ONLY. 704 MASS OPEN EVENINGS TIL 9 843-7398 Mon., March 26 2nd—30% of entry fees & t-shirt. 3rd—20% of entry fees & beer sign. Prizes 1st-50% of entry fees & pool table light Beer Special: Bud & Bud Light Longneck only 60" lasts 7 p.m. midnight. Pool Tournament 8 p.m. $3 entry fee all entrances receive a beautiful Budweiser Prizes Tues., March 27 7-10 p.m. 16.10 pitchers 10-12 p.m. Bud & Bud Light 10-14 p.m. A Lazer 10-16 with a Lazer Gold Card. West Coast Saloon proudly presents Budweiser Thurs., March 29 Picture Night Buy a beautifully monogrammed 64 oz Budweiser Pitcher of your favorite beer, only $3.75. Keep the beer and get $2 res- tilt! To Register For only $2.75 get photo of your choice by Whitestone Pics filed in the library filled with your favorite —you must be 18 or older to register. —registration deadline 10 a.m. Fri —winner need not be present at drawing. Pony Pitcher refills only $15 all night Deadline for photo is 11 p.m. 841. BREW Fri., March 30 TGIF —no purchase necessary, fill out registration available from bartender. Budweiser week 25c Draws, noon-6 p.m. $1 cover NO cover with Lazer Gold Card. NO cover with Lazer Gold Card 10:30 p.m. Drawings for: —beer signs —T-shirts —case of Budweisen —case of Bud Light —Grand Prize Sat., March 31 Live Band 9 p.m.-midnight $1 cover at 8 p.m. wear a Bud hat or T-shirt and receive 50 off all pitchers. 2nd Floor Grand Prize A round trip for two to St. Louis' Riverfront Towers Hotel. Round trip expenses, 1 night's stay, 2 tickets to Cardinals' Game, and a special VIP Tour of Anheuser-Busch Beerswurst. 2922 Iowa 9TH STREET MASSACHUSETTS Clip and Save WeaverS INC. Danskin introduces a provocative new collection of bras and panties, perfect for today's young, fashion conscious woman. Hurry now and save up to $2 00 off reg. sugg retail for a limited time only on this new collection from Danskin. Fabulous Styles Super Savings. Serving Lawrence . . . Since 1857 Save up to $2.00 off no regal New! DANSKIN 100% Cotton Bras and Panties PRE~SALE YOU ASKED FOR IT... Starting Tuesday, March 20, Junkyard's Jym will be accepting memberships $25 Off First 100 Student Memberships! Featuring: sauna ste 6th & Gateway Drive Phone 842-GYMM steamroom whirlpool whirlpool showers sunnt bed new Nautilus equipment 10,000 lbs, free weight aerobic dance Karate classes professional instructors April 4th - May 15th $15 May 15th - Aug. 15th Reg. Yearly Memberships $200 Pre-Sale Hours: Weekdays 9 a.m.-1 p.m., 4:30-6:30 p.m. Saturdays 9 a.m.–5 p.m.