NATION AND WORLD University Daily Kansan, December 1, 1983 Page 11 Lebanon fighting revived with bombings Beirut war intensifies; airport out By United Press International BEIIRUT, Lebanon — Drusse Muslim gunners yesterday closed Beirut airport with a dawn artillery barrage and a daylong bombardment of Lebanese army and Christian militia positions attacked fears of renewed, all-out civil war. The Druse shells burst 800-900 yards from the U.S. Marines in positions surrounding the airport, but a reported no American casualties. A Drusse official, saying his gunners were acting in self-defense, warned civilians to keep away from military positions "because we are going to strongly and fiercely bombard east of them; they continue shelling our villages." SOUTH OF BEIRUT, one 1,000 Shiite Muslims calling for "Death to Lebanese President Amin Gemayel arrived in Washington last night for talks with President Reagan intended to secure removal of foreign forces from his country and encourage national reconciliation. U. S.A. — the Great Devil" marched on the closed airport to protest the Christian-dominated government's decision to sever relations with Iran. GEMAVEL LANDED AT Andrews Air Force Base, Md., from Paris on the last leg of a diplomatic trip undertaken amid fears that time is running out for a breakthrough in ending the violence in his war-torn nation. Administration officials said Reagan and Gemayel, in their meeting tomorrow, will discuss "how we can act together" to move Lebanon toward peace and will reaffirm his determination to keep U.S. Marines in Lebanon as part of the multinational peace-keeping force. ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER Yitzhak Shamir said that Gemayel "will not succeed" in any attempt to alter the Israeli ban on troop withdrawal agreement. Syria charged that Reagan's new pledges of military and economic assistance to Israel allowed Israel to "maintain a constant state of war" with its Arab neighbors. Rebels end 9-day quiet in Tripoli By United Press International TRIPOLL, Lebanon — Rebel guerillas fired a shell a minute yesterday on forces loyal to Palestine Liberation Organization chief Yasser Arafat and residential neighborhoods of Tripoli, breaking a 9-day dease-fire. After more than a week of relative calm, punctured only by sniper fire, the Syrian-backed rebels resumed their shelling of the northern Lebanese port in the afternoon, striking mostly the damaged Tebane and Kobbe suburbs. Reporters said shells were falling at the rate of one per minute on PLO Chairman Arafat's forces and his Islamic allies around the city until 6 p. m. Shells landed randomly inside the city's residential areas. FIGHTING ALSO BROKE out between the pro-Arafat Taheed, an The new outbreak came as Arafat's Arab supporters, including Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt, applied more pressure on Syria to pull back the rebels and help and the PLO rift with help and radicals who oppose his leadership. Arafat met in Tripoli with the committee working out details of the cease-fire accord engineered by the Syrians and Saudis last week that calls for all Palestinian fighters to evacuate the area. Arafat's loyal Al Fatah guerrillas asked Moscow to ban the use of Soviet weapons against them. He said the Syrians and rebels were massing Soviet T-54 and T-72 tanks as well as multiple launchers around Tripoli for an attack Efforts to make plans for the withdrawal have proceeded slowly, with Arafat in no hurry to leave, apparently because he helped her. An opinion is turning in his favor and against the rebels and their Syrian backers. By United Press International Bangladesh expels 18 Soviets; culture center ordered closed DHAKA, Bangladesh — The military government has expelled 18 Soviet diplomats for engaging in "activities other than diplomatic" and ordered Moscow to close its cultural center in Dhaka, newspaper reports said yesterday. Authorities yesterday relaxed a 24-hour curfew that was imposed on Dhaka after the clashes, but new violence erupted between police and military officials in protesting the military regime of LT. Gen. Hussein Mohammad Ershad. A Foreign Office spokesman refused comment on the reports, which came two days after clashes between security forces and protesters in which four people died and 238 police were wounded. Government officials summoned Soviet Ambassador Valentin Pavlovich Stepanov Monday and told him to reduce his diplomatic staff. He refused to publish papers. Haitong, a Bengali-language publication, and the New Nation. The Soviet Cultural Center was ordered closed immediately. It was unknown when the diplomats would leave the country. THE DECISION WAS prompted by the involvement of the Soviet Embassy in "activities other than diplomatic," Ittajaq said. Soviet Embassy personnel were seen associating with "political moving about Dhaka during the clashes Monday, the newspapers said. In 1980, Bangladesh expelled four Soviet diplomats after their embassy imported sophisticated com- patients who believed to be meant for spying. In the port city of Chittagong, 150 miles southeast of Dhaka, officials said police fought for more than an hour yesterday before subduing about 3,000 students who tried to organize an anti-martial law meet. ERSHAD IMPPOSED A 24-hour curfew in the capital Monday and rescinded recently granted political freedoms following the battles between security forces and demonstra- tionists to end martial law, the restoration of civil rights, and parliamentary elections. Reagan approves Rights Commission bill By United Press International WASHINGTON — President Reagan, citing his commitment to fighting discrimination, signed compromise legislation yesterday that reconstitutes the 26-year-old Commission on Civil Rights. Reagan ended months of turmoil by signing a bill that enlarged the Commission from six members to eight and divided the authority so that the president and Congress would appoint members. The legislation also banned the firing of members for political reasons, allowed dismissals only if member abused or neglected their office. Reagan promptly reappointed Clarence Pendleton as chairman and Linda Chavez as staff director, but left open the three other vacancies he is empowered to fill. The anti-discrimination agency became mired in controversy after Reagan moved to replace five of its officers and then fired three commissioners. IN A BRIEF, written statement, Reagan, has played toq-war with the commission and its Congressional supporters; said his action "is cause for confidence that the commission's best years are yet to come." The Commission technically was disbanded at midnight Tuesday and the controversy over its membership ended on Thursday. The failure until the White House and Congress agreed upon the compromise. The Justice Department, in a separate statement, said that in the division of the power to appoint commission members between the president and Congress, "the commission itself is not placed clearly within any of the three branches of government." "Agencies that are inconsistent with the tripartite system of government established by the framers of our Constitution should not be created," a department official said. "Equally unacceptable are proposals that impermissibly dilute the powers of the president to appoint and remove officers of the United States." **CONFIDENT THE DEPARTMENT** said that the Civil Rights Commission was unique in its form and function. It also said that the political maneuvering that went into the restructuring should not become a precedent. Sen. Robert Dole, R.Kan, and a key figure in the negotiations, said a veto would be a setback for the cause of civil rights and could damage relations between the White House and Capitol Hill. The decision to restructure the commission followed an unprecedented attempt by Reagan to install his allies on the traditionally independent panel, which has sharply criticized administration policies on busing, education and tax exemptions to segregated schools. HOWEVER, THE DEPARTMENT Marcos denounced in protests By United Press International MANILA, Philippines — About 10,000 demonstrators burned a U.S. flag and denounced the government of President Ferdinand Marcos yesterday in the latest of a string of demonstrations protesting military rule. Marcos left the presidential palace for the first time since the assassination of opposition leader Benigno Aquino Aug. 21 and flew to the mountain resort of Baguio for a brief visit. Marcos, 66, told reporters in Baguio the government will tolerate demonstrators "unless there is a threat or violation of rules and regulations or violation of rules and regulations. Two teenagers were killed and more than 60 injured Sunday following rallies marking Aquino's 51st birthday Opponents of Marcos' 18-year rule have staged almost daily protests demanding his resignation since Aquino was murdered at Manila Airport moments after he returned from three years in the United States. Screaming "Marcos, Hitler, Dictator, Dog," the protesters marched through the streets of suburban Pasig and assembled in a square in front of a Roman Catholic church. Speaker after speaker called for an end to military "We will continue marching and rallying until Marcos resigns," opposition leader Alejandro Liachoa told the crowd, which carried banners denouncing the "U.S.-Marcos dictatorship." The crowd later torched an American flag and called for Marcos to resign. Boyds Coins-Antiques Class Rings Buy Sell Trade Gold-Silver-Coins 731 Antiques Watches New Hampshire Lawrence, Kansas 60644 913-842-8773 THE CASTLE TEA ROOM MISS STREET DELI 041 MASSACHUSETTS HOT OR MILD SMOKED SAUSAGE SPECIAL served with potato chips and dill pickle spear $1.50 Reg.$2.35 Wed., Nov. 30 thru Sun., Dec. 4 No coupons accepted with this offer Mon - Thurs – 10:30-9 Fri & Sat – 10:30-11 Sun – Noon-9 p.m Why do so many experienced students sell their books at the Jayhawk Bookstore? Quick cash, High$$ Fast lines ***** Discount coupons THEY'VE LEARNED. Free parking Now through Finals mon- fri. 8-5 sat.10-4 NEW SHORT COURSE ON MICROCOMPUTERS LA&S 140 --- Line # 36748 (Not Listed in Tinetable) Jan. 12 to Feb.8 One Hour Credit Additional Information at 206 Strong Sweet dreams from UNDERCOVER --in warm, comfortable Feathaire --for women Coupon Expires 12/16/83 Coupon valid for women only We have expanded our facilities, our staff and our hours to better serve you Now open Mon.-Fri. 8-6 Sat. 8-5 SHAMPOO, CUT $10 & BLOWDRY... CUT, PERM $40 & STYLE... for women Coupon Expires 12/16/8 for men Void For Rocky & Terry 611 W. 9th Gentleman's Quarters 843-23-18 The results are in! Bum Steer Bar-B-Q has received FIRST PRIZE at the AMERICAN ROYAL BARBEQUE COOK-OFF Voted... "the best ribs around!" NOW ON SALE! NOW ON SALE! SLAB $8.50 SHORT END $5.50 LONG END $4.25 BURNT END PLATE $4.00 includes side dish All rib dinners include: Fries, bread, & pickle. 2554 Iowa 841-SMOKE 1