Numbers decide draft fate UDK News Roundup By United Press International Haynsworth to keep bench WASHINGTON — Clement E. Haynsworth Jr. has decided to remain on the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals despite the Senate's rebuff in denying him Supreme Court seat, informed sources said Monday. The report came as both the White House and Judge Haynsworth himself, in Richmond, Va., announced that President Nixon will meet at the White House Thursday with the man he unsuccessfully backed for the high bench. Media faces court order WASHINGTON—Both prosecution and defense in the case of 1st Lt. William L. Calley Jr., charged with murder in the alleged Vietnam massacre, filed Monday for an injunction against news media reporting of statements about the case. The two sides filed a joint petition asking the U.S. Court of Military Appeals for a restraining order against the media. The court arranged to begin hearing arguments immediately. The petition listed as "respondents" the major news media of the country, including United Press International (UPI) and Associated Press (AP), the networks CBS and NBC, the magazines Life, Newsweek and others, and the nation's newspapers. U.S. pays for allies WASHINGTON—The State Department has declined to say how much it cost the United States to get Thailand to send 12,000 troops to Vietnam. Spokesman Carl Barth acknowledged Monday the Thai government received military and economic aid, including funds to pay special allowance to troops on foreign duty. --by a woman from the Selective Service staff. But he declined to confirm or deny a published report the United States gave Thailand about $1 billion in increased assistance. WASHINGTON (UPI)—In a 90-minute ceremony, America's first draft lottery in 27 years Monday night decided by the luck of the draw which of 850,000 young men of military age will be called to service next year. Drawing capsules from a huge "goldfish bowl" at the rate of one every 15 seconds, a group of young Selective Service advisers from the various states conducted the third lottery in three generations—This one among 1A registrants between their 19th and 26th birthdays. And after that came April 24, Dec. 30, Feb.14, Oct.18, and so on until 366 birthdates—including one for Feb.29 in leap year—had been pulled from the bowl, plus each of the 26 letters of the alphabet to be used in giving draft priorities to registrants born on the same day. "September 14th," called an official as the first bluish plastic capsule was plucked from the bowl by Rep. Alexander Pirnie, R-N.Y., a member of the House Military Affairs Committee. Under the new lottery system, a registrant's birthday would be the key to the order in which he would be subject to draft call. Basically, it was first drawn, first called; last drawn, last—and probably never-called. Members of the Selective Service's Youth Advisory Board were called by name to the side of the bowl and one at a time they pulled out a capsule which was opened Of the 56 youngsters scheduled to draw capsules, the Selective Service said the representatives of Michigan and Alaska refused to come and take part. Another youth, David L. Fowler of Washington, walked to the bowl but said he could not take part. Dates in December were hard hit. Before 122 dates, had been plucked from the bowl—one-third of the 366-17 were drawn from the 12th month of the year—including Pearl Harbor Day and Christmas. Within the next 50 drawings, nine more December dated were picked out. The order of the call-up enables each youth to know with some exactness his probable priority of (Continued to page 12) 80th Year, No. 52 The University of Kansas—Lawrence, Kansas Tuesday, Dec. 2, 1969 Slaying suspects arrested LOS ANGELES (UPI)—A man and two women, described as members of a pseudo-religious cult that roamed through forbidding Death Valley, were identified Monday as suspects in the shocking murders of actress Sharon Tate and four other persons Aug. 9. Police Chief Edward Davis told a news conference that the young suspects were members of a "roving band of hippies" who also were suspected of killing a middle-aged couple one day later across town from the Tate estate in Benedict Canyon. Two of the suspects were in custody. Charles D. "Tex" Watson, 24, was arrested Sunday night in McKinney, Tex., and Patricia Kernwinkel, 21, was arrested near the home of her aunt in Mobile, Ala. Linda Kasabian, 19, was being hunted in New Mexico. Davis said it was expected that four or five other persons would be indicted for the murders next week. They were said to be in custody Inyo County California where two months ago 26 young men and women were rounded up by a sheriff's posse. Davis confirmed that the Tate murders were linked to the double slaying two days later of a middle-aged couple who operated a grocery across town. There were gruesome similarities in the two killings, including the words "pig" and "death to pigs" scrawled in blood at the scenes. (Continued to page 12) Lunar quarantine gains 11 residents SPACE CENTER, Houston (UPI) The space agency quarantined seven scientists and four technicians Monday after a cut in a rubber glove exposed them to lunar material at the space center moon laboratory. The accident happened when the scientists, all members of the handpicked team making a preliminary analysis of Apollo 12's lunar treasures, were examining and photographing the largest moon rocks ever returned to earth. A spokesman for the agency said the 11 men will be locked up in isolation with Apollo 12 astronauts Charles "Pete" Conrad, Richard F. Gordon, and Alan L. Bean until Dec. 10. Anthony J. Calio, director of science and applications at the space center, said the sudden enforced isolation was particularly unpleasant because they had just discovered the first sample of a type of rock that had been plentiful in Apollo 11's lunar material but had been mysteriously absent in Apollo 12's moon rock collection. But he said, a side benefit of the accident could be the unexpected chance for these seven experts in mineralogy Calio said the seven scientists, all key members of the preliminary examination team, are "lost" for the next ten days. He said it would be impossible for them to perform much work in isolation, but predicted there would be little impact on the overall study of the moon rocks. and petrology to talk at length with the Apollo 12 moon explorers. Brian Erb, manger of the laboratory, said all 11 men were or had just been in a room where the moon rocks were being photographed in a germ-proof, nitrogen-filled cabinet when a break was discovered in one of the gloves used to handle rocks in the cabinet. He said the break was large enough to let the atmosphere of the cabinet escape, and that this was compounded by a contamination procedure error when the broken glove was discovered. The result, he said, was a "cut and dried" need to quarantine the men. The accident raised to 28 the number of men living in the laboratory's isolation suite. In addition to the three astronauts and the 11 newcomers, there were 14 personnel necessary to support their life in quarantine. Photo by Fred Chan Resuming the old grind Thanksgiving break over, KU students returned to their studies. Despite good intentions to "get it done over vacation," most found that relaxing and playing took precedence over books. With the end of the semester nearing, students were hard at their studies, except, of course, those who are putting off studying until Christmas vacation.