Baseball reunion Generations match skills Sports, p. 16 KANSAN SUNNY KU Published since 1889 by students of the University of Kansas Vol. 94, No. 20 (USPS 650-640) High, 75. Low, 50. Details on p. 2. Friday morning, September 16, 1983 KU-USSR game halted upon sponsor's request Sports Editor By ANDREW HARTLEY Sports Editor The Soviet National basketball team will not visit the University of Kansas this fall, despite KU's refusal to cancel the Nov. 16 visit, KU officials said yesterday. In a statement issued by the KU sports information office yesterday afternoon, the University announced that the organization sponsoring the visit had requested that the game be dropped from the schedule, which, in effect, would cancel the whole Soviet tour. In the past two weeks, six of the seven schools participating in the Soviet tour canceled their games as a reaction to the attack on Korean jefiler, killing all 96 people aboard. KU was the only school not to cancel its game. The national basketball team of the Netherlands will replace the Soviets on the schedule. THE STATEMENT SAID, "The Amateur Basketball Association United States of America, with whom the University of Kansas has an agreement, has requested the University to cancel the Nov. 16 game with the USSR National Basketball Team in favor of playing the Netherlands National Men's Basketball team. "The University has agreed to the cancellation and will therefore play the Dutch team on Saturday." "In making the request, the ABAUSA extended its appreciation to the University for its firm support in continuing this outstanding sports-cultural exchange." ATHLETIC DIRECTOR Monte Johnson said yesterday that KU's decision to keep the Soviets on the schedule was not an issue of interest because he contracted the contract the school had with AFAH. "We were asked to honor our contract with ABAUSA and that is what we chose to do." Johnson said. "It had no political or selfish motives. "Bill Wall of ABAUSA contacted me about two weeks ago and indicated that at least one school had canceled its game without contacting ABAUSA. At that time he indicated he would appreciate it if he would send the game until receiving word from his organization." Johnson said that the chief reason for the ABAUSA's request was that isolated sanctions, without the broad-based support of ABAUSA and other cultural exchange programs, would have little effect against the Soviets. The last university to cancel its game with the Soviets was Alabama, which announced the cancellation of its Nov. 21 contest yesterday. Vanderbilt and Maryland were the first to cancel games with the Soviets. Oklahoma, Kentucky and Houston announced this week that he had canceled games with the Russians. Classified research draft draws faculty criticism Staff Reporter By DONNA WOODS Staff Reporter The new classified research proposal is an improvement over a proposal submitted in January, but problems with the policy remain, University Senate members said yesterday. Philip Kissam, faculty senate research committee member responsible for much of the proposal's drafting, said two basic changes had been proposed in KU's classified research policy. Researchers are currently allowed one year of classified status, provided that classification is in the best interests of the involved students, faculty and University. Under the proposed policy, however, it would be possible to seek a 'temporary classification' for patients. CLASSIFIED RESEARCH IS research that is not "open to inspection and appraisal by a legitimately interested person." This includes all types of data, data, results and products of the research. This extension would need to be approved by a three-person subcommittee of the Faculty Senate. The second change, he said, would allow the acceptance of research grants and contracts where an "insubstantial" part of the work must be classified. Currently, a researcher at KU may not accept such a contract. Kissam said the understanding and the intent of the committee was that KU researchers would not enter into government contracts that would be classified for indefinite periods of time. BUT DAVID KRAFT, dean of the School of Engineering, said the provisions to apply for and receive classification beyond one year were not adequate. Kraft said that because of bureaucratic delays, he doubted whether the extension to conduct classified research would be approved and that an acceptable time frame for business leaders. He suggested the research proposal allow a three-day period for extension review. Kraft said also that the change in the proposal allowing an "insubstantial portion of the work" to be done is very important. He said a problem would be created because before research began, a business would not know what the University's review groups would consider insubstantial. "I TRULY BELIEVE that the relatively innate ability will cause more problems than it will insure, he said. Finally, Kraft said, a distinction needs to be made in the proposal between classified and nonclassified data. Proprietary research, on the other hand, is The government, for reasons of national security, says that much of its research should be conducted in the public domain. See RESEARCH, p. 5 col. 3 Senate condemns attack on jet WASHINGTON — The Senate yesterday sent President Reagan a unanimously approved resolution condemning Soviet destruction of a Korean airliner, brushing aside conservative attempts to put more force in the measure. By United Press International "This nation is united in its outrage," said Sen. Charles Percy, R-III, chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. The Senate vote was 95-0. The resolution passed the House 416-0 Wednesday night. The Senate defeated a bid by conservatives to toughen the House-passed resolution with sanctions against the Soviets, heeding pleas that it was important for Congress to present a united front with Reagan. THE HARSILY WORDED measure denounces Moscow for an "infamous and reprehensible act" — the Sept. 1 attack on a Korean Air Lines jumbo jet that killed 269 people. Even before the Senate vote, President Reagan issued a statement praising Congress for its overwhelming, bipartisan support of the resolution criticizing this "wanton, barbaric act." "The Kremlin is on notice." Reagan said. "When it comes to responding to its aggression, there are no Republicans or Democrats, only Americans — united and determined to protect our freedom and secure the peace. "I urge the American people to stand by the families who loved ones were taken from them. And let us appeal to the conscience of the civilized world. The passengers of KAL 007 must never be forgotten. Nor must we expect that can prevent such a crime against humanity from ever happening again." "This resolution is going to pass unanimously," Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., said. "The only question is will we have some teeth in the resolution. PERCY SAID IT was possible the condemnation could be signed by Reagan last night. But three conservatives, determined to air their demands for stern punishment, offered amendments that prolonged the debate. "Do you know what the Soviet Union is going to say about this resolution? They're going to say, 'Big deal. Big deal.' It's proxecting Ukraine." Sen. Daniel Moynihan, D-N.Y., insisted the resolution carried some weight. "Never before (in U.S.-Soviet relations) we have declared an act of that nation a crime," he said. "And that is not a small thing." United Press International The House resolution demanded a "frank explanation" from the Soviets and urged U.S. allies to join in demanding that Moscow "unequivocally apologize" and "fully compensate" families of the victims. JAPANESE SEARCHERS FOUND the first belongings of a U.S. passenger aboard downed Korean Air Lines Flight 007 yesterday, and the United States joined South Korea in condemning Moscow's "terrorist action" at a special U.N. aviation meeting. See PLANE, p. 5 col.1 House OKs Reagan defense package By United Press International WASHINGTON — Ignoring pleas to temper its outrage over the Soviet downing of a Korean airliner, the House yesterday approved a $188 bill that would give Reagan every major weapon he requested. Hours later, Reagan said that $4.9 billion in military spending could be cut when Congress considerers the actual military appropriations. The saving was possible, he said, because of reduced inflation and fuel costs and because of lower fuel prices in newer MX missiles than he originally requested. The House passed the compromise fiscal 1948 military spending legislation 266-152 and sent it to Reagan for his signature. The Senate approved the bill 83-8 Tuesday. THE COMPROMISE, worked out by a House-Senate conference committee before the August congressional recess, gave Reagan every major weapons program that he asked for, including authorization for building the first 21 MX missiles and authority to begin lifting a 14-year unilateral U.S. ban on producing lethal chemical weapons — including nerve gas weapons. See MILITARY, p. 5 col. 4 Regents committee supports test-fund request Staff Reporter By PAUL SEVART TOPEKA — A Board of Regents committee yesterday passed a resolution supporting a planned request for state funds to continue statewide reading and writing tests in five grades. Sandra McMullen, chairman of the Regents committee. The action came at a joint meeting of the Regents academic affairs and special programs committee and the Kansas Board of Education, which will make the request to the Kansas Legislature. Merle Bolton, commissioner of education, said the bill that had financed the tests had expired and that the board would need to reapply in the next legislative session. "Communication leads to cooperation, and that what's we need in this state. We think those things are important because they affect the students who come to our universities," said THE TESTS ARE designed to measure skill levels in reading and writing of students in grades K-12. The Regents committee also voted to support the board's request for funding for certification testing and one-year internship programs for college students. The program was used in service and staff development programs. The board will ask for about $2.5 million to finance those three items and the student testing program. 1981 to the board as a way to "ensure the competence of teachers licensed to practice in the state," and Bolton said his department and the faculty cooperatively for the past two years on the plan. The Regents have also raised the minimum grade point average for admission to Regents schools of education to 2.5, and have mandated standard pre-admission tests for prospective education students. Bolton said. Both requirements took effect this fall. The Regents had suggested those measures in THE REGENTS COMMITTEE and the board also discussed their responses to the April report of the National Commission on Excellence in Education. Part of that report included a recommended high school curriculum that emphasized math and science. Hall fees may rise more than was recommended By BRUCE F. HONOMICHL Staff Reporter Residence hall fees for the 1984-85 school year will probably increase more than the Residential Programs Advisory Board recommended in the spring, Peter McEhlen, director of the residence residential programs, said yesterday. J. J. Wilson, director of the office of housing, said RPAB 's final recommendation would ask for a residence hall rate increase of $80 a year. He said the allowance in the increase for utilities in the contract would be raised from $15 to $40. MCCELHENIE SAID the advisory board originally recommended that residence hall rates be increased by $55 a year and scholarship hall rates by either $34 or $39 a year, depending on the hall. The increase would push the cost for most residence halls to about $2,000 a year. Men's scholarship halls would increase $39 to $1,626. RPAB will make its final recommendations for rate increases at a meeting Monday, McElhene said, and utility managers should elect to declare a larger increase than expected. Kevin Selman, All Scholarship Hall Council president and a member of RPAB, said yesterday that he expected no further increase in scholarship hall Of the women's scholarship halls. Douthart and Sellars halls would also increase $39 to $1,519 a year, and Miller and Watkins Halls $34 to $591 a semester. Selman said. "WE'RE STILL in a dilemma over what to do about the phones, too. All of the utilities are going up. And things went higher over the summer." he said. A COMPROMISE REACHED last year with the housing office produced a recommendation that Stouffer residents pay a monthly increase of $2 beginning in the 1984-85 school year. Housing, he said, had originally suggested an increase of $5 each month and is recommending it again. "It's hard to predict what prices will be like. Utilities are going up. But we have to go on, not knowing what the AT&T breakup will do to the cost of phone service. And housing is already high because of beef is high because of the drought." Also, Layne Pierce, an official of the Stouffer Neighborhood Association's contract committee, said yesterday that his association faced possible problems with the contract recommendation in the spring for Stouffer residents. McElhennie said, "I would imagine that there will be a move to increase the amount for utilities. But all in all, it will be a fairly modest proposal. "The problem is with doing surface covering of bricks." Pierce said. "It's going to change next year's rates to enable hiring to complete the job in five years." Stephen Phillips/KANSAN **daphne Kushner-Kaufman** Fred Pence examines some chrysanthemum at his garden, Pence Garden Center, at 15th and New York Streets. No. 144. Staff Reporter 'Quick-change artists swindle 3 area stores By MICHAEL PAUL Staff Reporter The orders were part of a routine used by two "quick-change artists" who have swindled three area stores. An order of a soft drink, an ice cream cone and a glass of ice tea led to a $141 profit this week for two men who were hungry for money not food Police said the men stole $20 about 7:30 p.m. Monday from Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream Store, 1524 W. 23rd St.; $65 at the same time 23rd St. from Border Bandido, 1528 W. 23rd St.; and $66 at 8:25 p.m. Monday from J-B's Big Boy Family Restaurant, 740 Iowa St. RUBY SHADE, CO-OWNER of Baskin Robbins, said that what probably happened at the ice cream store was that one of the men ordered a single-scoop ice cream creeam for 55 cents and put it on it with a $0 bill. The owner then put the $0 bill on a cash drawer and gave the man $9.0 in change, she said. At that point the man had made $19.45, because the cashier did not receive back the change given originally for the $20 bill Shade said. Shade said the man then asked for his $20 bill back, saying he wanted to pay for it with a $1 bill. The cashier then gave the $20 bill back and took the $1 Lt. Lyle Sutton of the Lawrence Police Department said that the technique could be varied. IN ANOTHER ROUTINE, he said, a customer would pay for an inexpensive item with a $20 bill. After the cashier would give the customer his change, he would then tell the cashier that he would to pay for the item with $20 $1 bills. A version similar to this routine was used at Border Bandido. JOHI SUMNER, an employee at Border Bandido, was working as a cashier Monday evening at the restaurant. If the suspect tries to short-change her "He gave back his change, and then I gave back the 20," she said. "He then put a 20, a 10, a five and five singles on the counter and asked for two 20s. I said, 'What are you doing?' and he left." BORDER BANDIDO, however, checked later and found some money missing and reported to police that $65 had been stolen. Police are looking for two men they described as black men between 30 and 35. One suspect is about 6-feet-1 and weighs about 180 pounds. The other suspect is about 5-feet-8 and weighs about 140 pounds.