Page 2 University Daily Kansan, February 24, 1983 News Briefs From United Press International Indian troops rush to help stricken Bengalis in Assam GAUHAT1, India - Army troops rushed yesterday to northeastern Assam state where new Assamese attacks this week on Bengali immigrant villages left at least 50 people dead. Tangram set is attached to the wall. The new woman raised the unofficial death toll to 1,550 in 24 days of election-related violence in Assam. accidents caused violence in Assam. The latest violence erupted earlier this week when mobs of Assamese attacked several villages of Bengali immigrants in North Lakimhpur district, state officials said. The attackers set fire to several villages forcing survivors to flee to a neighboring state, officials said. Army troops discovered at least 50 bodies, but expect the death toll to rise as the search continues, officials said. we are the search continues, officials said. Home Minister P.C. Sethi estimated the death toll from a weekend massacre at 1,217, but survivors and government sources indicated that the estimate was too low. The estimate was too low. Survivors from the weekend massacre said that tribesmen killed more than 2,000 Bengali immigrants — mostly women and children — at the village of Nellie and 14 other hamlets. Salvadoran army stops 13-day siege SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador — Salvadoran army units broke a 13-day rebel siege around Suitochito yesterday but guerrillas seized another northern city and threatened a third near the nation's hydroelectric dams, officials said. An eight-mile stretch of pockmarked highway leading from Suichito to San Salvador was reopened by the 3,000-man rescue force, military officials said. But only 12 miles north of Suchitoto, guerrillas overran the city of Tequila, 26 miles north of San Salvador, following a 14-hour battle in which most of the 200 government troops defending the city fled. which most of the 200 government buildings in Tejutla, rebels held the hamlets in the northern province of Calathea and occupied the provincial capital of the same name. The capital lies near two hydroelectric dams that supply 60 percent of El Salvador's electricity. Libyan hijackers surrender in Malta VALLETTA, Malta — Two renegade Libyan army officers yesterday freed 158 hostages from a hijacked Boeing 727 and surrendered to Maltese authorities in return for a promise of political asylum. Unconfirmed reports said three other Lebanese army officers and two of their prisoners also asked for political asylum. provides that student for practical asylum. The six crew members and 152 passengers were pronounced in generally good condition, despite the 63-hour ordeal at Laqa airport with little food or water. with little food or water. In a statement issued to the airport radio tower, the hijackers said they hijacked the plane to gain political asylum in a country that would accept them. Mallest Prime Minister Dominic Mintoff said two countries, which he would not name, offered the hijackers asylum. not name, offered the hijackers asylum. The Libyan Arab Airways jet was hijacked Sunday on a flight from the town of Sebha, in the Libyan interior, to Tripoli. U.S. may pay for airplane disaster WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled 7-2 yesterday that the government may be forced to reimburse an airplane manufacturer for damages it paid the families of federal workers killed in the "Operation Babylift" disaster. northwest disaster. The justices ruled the government is not excused from a Lockheed Corp. lawsuit simply because it already paid death benefits to survivors of workers killed in the air crash near Saigon, Vietnam on April 5, 1975. of workers killed in the war. A total of 144 people on board the plane died when it crashed in a rice paddy. The dead included Vietnamese orphans being brought to the United States, military personnel and civilian federal workers. Justice Lewis Powell, who wrote the majority opinion, agreed with Lockheed that the Federal Employees Compensation Act did not limit the government's liability to its direct payments to survivors. Suit filed against American Airlines HILLS The Justice Department filed a civil suit yesterday charging that American Airlines president Robert Crandall asked the head of Braniff Airways to raise fares 20 percent in an illegal antitrust scheme. The government's antitrust suit accused American Airlines Inc. and Crandall, its president and chief operating officer, with unsuccessfully attempting to persuade Braniff to fix the prices of air fares. attempting to persuade Braniff to fix the pieces of the lawsuit. In the suit, the government said Braniff president Howard Putnam rejected the alleged attempt during a phone conversation with Crandall three months before Braniff went bankrupt. American denied the antitrust allegations, saying it would fight the suit. The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Dallas, asked that American be barred from employing Crandall as its president for two years. Atari accused of avoiding unions SAN JOSE, Calif. — A union trying to organize workers at Atari Inc. charged yesterday that the video game giant was moving its manufacturing out of the United States to avoid unionization. manufacturing out of the United States to a "virtual hall" to its U.S. Atari announced Tuesday it was calling a "virtual hall" to its U.S. manufacturing and transferring its assembly lines to Hong Kong and Taiwan. About 1,700 workers in California's "Silicon Valley" will lose their jobs because of the move. About 600 were told not to report to work yesterday. Glass Workers Union Local 62 Atari, like most commercial firms, is not unionized. But the Glaziers, along with the AFL-CIO, have worked for more than a year to organize the company's 3,000 assembly workers in Sunnyvale and San Jose. Pittsburgh ponders video restriction PITTSBURGH The Pittsburgh City Council, concerned that children inappropriate school to play Pac-Man, yesterday tentatively班级 an ordinance barring students from licensed video arcades during class hours. The measure goes before the council for a final vote Monday and Michelle Madoff, the member of the council who sponsored the proposal, said she might press to make the ordinance even tougher. proposal, said she might press 10 to 15. The bill bans students under age 18 from arcades with more than five video machines during school hours. Owners could lose their arcade license for violating the ban, Madoff said. them to building the video machines are mesmerized and hypnotized by those video machines," she said. "They cut school to play them." The current proposal passed the council by a 6-3 preliminary vote. The bill was a result of complaints by Pittsburgh parents who said children were cutting class to play video games. Two officials dismissed in EPA cleanup By United Press International WASHINGTON - The Reagan administration, scrambling to get the Environmental Protection Agency controversy under control, fired two ten EPA officials yesterday. A White House official said President Reagan "has been involved in discussions about this issue" and was aware of the dismissals of EPA Inspector General Matthew Novick and Assistant Administrator John Horton. HORTON, IN a telephone interview with United Press International, said that he was asked to resign by Helene Von Damm, director of White House personnel, and that Novick also had been dismissed. Rep. James Scheuer, D-N.Y., suggested the action might be the opening of a "massacre" at the embattled agency headed by Burton Butt. The White House officials would feed as part of a housecleaning. "The White House is trying to get things back under control so the agency can get back to work." Horton said. SCHEUER IN response to questions about Burford's future at the agency said, "There are rumors around that she will be looking for new employment opportunities in the near future." The source said Burford, who was in Arizona giving a speech yesterday, was "fully consulted" about the changes, which were part of an effort to strengthen the EPA, particularly in the EPA, particularly in the Superfund for toxic waste cleanup. Horton had been under FBI investigation for allegedly using his administrative assistant to conduct personal business on office time — a charge he flatly denied. One White House official disputed a suggestion that Novick, the EPA's chief watchdog, was fired for trying to clean up the agency. An administration official who asked not to be identified confirmed that Novick and Horton had resigned. Horton said he kept his business files in his government office because he needed some place to put them. After joining EPA in 1981, Horton also had accepted $65,000 in bonuses and consulting fees from two companies for which he worked previously. Horton said yesterday those payments were simply the last of five annual payments. He said the firms did not do business with EPA. HORTON SAID he resigned because publicity about the investigation — and others involving high-ranking EPA officials — had been detrimental to the agency. agency. In a related event, Rep James Florio, D.N.J., said yesterday allegations that an adviser to Burford discussed matters affecting his private legal clients with her and other agency officials were a "smoking gun" in the agency scandal. agency scandal. Florio urged White House officials to "cut their losses" by either firing Burford or seeking her resignation. Burford of seeking "Rep. Elliott Levins, D-Ga., said in his leisure" about the role of District attorney James Sanderson at the EPA, who represented his private legal clients while serving as an EPA consultant. Levitas said that if the allegations GPT QUOTED a former EPA official Tuesday as saying Sanderson, who was a friend of Burford and an EPA adviser, did not withdraw from all agency matters affecting his clients as he says he did. he says we are. "The form of employee, Gary Dietrich, and in on three meetings last year that included Burford, Sanderson and other top agency officials and that in each case, matters affecting Sanderson's clients were discussed. erson's clients were taken Sanderson could not be reached by telephone yesterday at his Denver home or office. about Sanderson's activities were true, Burford should resign. IF WAS reported last week that a client of Sanderson, Chemical Waste Management Inc. of Oakbrook, Ill., benefited from Burford's decision to lift a ban on liquid chemical dumping at landfills around the country last year. Sanderson quit the EPA last June 3, in the face of a Department of Justice investigation into allegations of conflict of interest in his representation of legal clients while also serving as an agency consultant. Times Beach considered as park site By United Press International TIMES BEACH, Mo. — State officials said yesterday that if the government's $33 million buy-out of dioxin-contaminated Times Beach was successful, the town may be turned into a scenic river park. The Environmental Protection Agency announced on Tuesday that it would allocate Superfund money to buy homes and businesses in Times Beach, where dioxin levels were found to be 300 times what is considered a safe level. Gov. Kit Bond has asked the Missouri Legislature to allocate $3.7 million to cover the state's 10 percent share of the flood-prone suburb of touloumbo troubled by showers and flooding. STATE OFFICIALS said the patch of Meramec River flood plain now occupied by Times Beach could become one of the links in a chain of parks being established along the edge of the river stablished along the edge, Fred Lafas, director of the Missouri 46. If the town was allowed to be converted into a park, Lafser said, the cleanup might not have to reduce the level of dioxin to the extent that would be necessary if people were permanently living in the area. OFFICIALS SAID Tuesday they intended to allocate money to have the town cleaned up, but the method has not been determined. The use of the tract for park purposes would also make disposal of the dioxin-tainted soil much less expensive, he said. Department of Natural Resources, said abandonment of Times Beach would open the way for the establishment of a new park in southwestern St. Louis County. not been determined. Lafser said he spraying the containment areas with a neutralizing chemical, roasting the soil at high temperatures in a rotary kiln or covering the areas with a layer of clay to reduce the possibility of human contact. contact were some of the cleanup options being considered. In no cases would the property acquired under the buy-out plan be allowed to be redeveloped and repopulated, he said. "It's a violation of federal policy to spend money to encourage people to live in a flood plain." Lafsen said. The government buy-out would allow more time for study of the park proposal, he said, and for careful consideration of the method of cleanup. Federal officials said it would take about two weeks to develop a plan for the buy-out. Appraisers will assess the "fair market value" of the homes and businesses before the doxion problem and record flooding last December. The government will then make offers to the residents, and send out the first checks after 60 to 90 days. said William Hedeman, the head of the Superfund program. Marines give aid to Lebanese town BEIRUT, Lebanon — A U.S. Marine column yesterday brought relief to a remote mountain town of 3,000 cut off by the worst blizzard in Lebanese history, but faced the danger of being stranded itself by a new storm. "We're concerned about the storm," said Marine spokesman Capt. Dale Dye. "But if we get wet, we can't do anything and come out the way we came in." By United Press International THE MARINES arrived in the town of Qartaba, 25 miles northeast of Beirut, in seven amphibious assault vehicles. assss Government forecasters said that heavy rains would hammer Beirut today, less than three days after the end of a blizzard in the Lebanese mountains that killed at least 64 people. BRAZILIAN CARNAVAL FEBRUARY 26TH AT THE HOLIDOME HOLIDOME FROM 8:00 PM TILL 3:00 AM (2:00 w turnpike access road) TICKETS AT: SUA $3.00 SPANISH & PORTUGUESE DEPT. HOLIDAY INN/HOLIDOME Want to go early? from noon till 8:00 pm the Holiday Inn/Halidome will be celebrating its first anniversary in Lawrence with Brazilian food specialities, drinks, exotic exhibits, games for the kids & prizes for the adults At 7:00 PM there will be a drawing for TWO ROUND-TRIP TICKETS TO RIO DE JANEIRO sign up early and be there for the drawing. BYOB—SETUPS AVAILABLE DANCE TO THE BEAT OF DIFFERENT DRUMS expose your beautiful self to the warm and pulsating music of Brasil. PARTY THE BRAZILIAN WAY it's an entirely new concept. IN A NUTSHELL: Carnaval (Mardi Gras to the French) was conceived long ago as a religious Festival, used as an excuse to indulge in all kinds of secular pleasures . Today, thank god, it is still the best excuse to party, indulge, and have a jolly good time—and you can bet three bucks that Brazilians are pretty religious about partying—that's why they are bringing their Carnaval to you! BRAZIL & PORTUGAL CLUB