Page 2 University Daily Kansan, February 18, 1983 News Briefs From United Press International Arrival of planes in Egypt increases tension in region CAIRO, Egypt — The arrival of sophisticated American surveillance planes in Egypt yesterday sparked diplomatic maneuvering and heightened military tensions in northern Africa with Chad and Sudan fearing a Libyan invasion might be imminent. In Khartoum, Sudan, President Gafar Numeiri conferred with President Hissene Habre of Chad reportedly to discuss "foreign threats" facing the region, an allusion to warnings last week that Libya was massing troops, armor and warplanes along the border with Chad Tensions escalated in the region after U.S. military officials in Washington said the United States had sent four AWACS — Airborne Warning and Control Systems jets — to Egypt in response to the Libyan buildup. buildup In addition, they said, the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Nimitz was ordered to move from its station off the Lebanese coast to waters near Libya. Libyan leader Moammar Khadafy warned that Libyan forces would stop any foreign power attempting to enter the Gulf of Sidra or "any other part of Libyan waters." Fired EPA aide absent from hearing WASHINGTON Fired Environmental Protection Agency official Rita Lavelle failed for the second time yesterday to show up for a House bearing and was warned that she could be held in contempt. hearing and was worried that she could be harmed. Lavelle's lawyer, James Bierbower, was served Wednesday with a subpoena ordering his client to appear and to testify before the House energy and commerce oversight subcommittee. In another development, sources disclosed that EPA Administrator Anne Gorsuch had asked the Justice Department early this month to investigate possible misconduct by Lavelle. Five days later, Lavelle was fired by President Reagan. was tired by President Reagan. Lavelle, who was assistant administrator in charge of the $1.6 billion Superfund cleanup program, has denied any wrongdoing and said she had nothing to hide. Rebels threaten Salvadoran citv SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - The Salvadoran government rushed reinforcements yesterday to Suchitoto, under guerrilla siege for a week, in an attempt to prevent rebels from capturing their second major city in a month. At the same time, a Western military source said that the military situation in El Salvador had become "critical", which might leave the Reagan administration little choice but to bail out the army with emergency funding. emergency funding. "The level of violence is increasing," said the source, who demanded anonymity. Only six months into this year's budget, the Salvadoran army has used in some types of ammunition stockpiles, he added. for some types of immunization packages. In this, we asked for $61 million in aid in this (fiscal) year and we got $26 million. in the Reagan administration has $75 million in emergency funds available to use without congressional authorization for El Salvador. Search for crabbing ship continues KODIAK, Alaska The Coast Guard took advantage of a break in the weather yesterday to hunt for a second crabbing ship missing in the Bering Sea and for seven crewmen from its sunken sister ship. Bering Sea and for seven miles above Three Coast Guard planes, a helicopter, a cutter and a fleet of private fishing vessels tried to locate the still-missing ship, the Altair, based in Anacortes, Wash., which was overdue at the Pribilof Islands. The searchers also scanned the Bering Sea off Dutch Harbor, Alaska, for crew members from the Americus, a 125-foot ship from Anacortes that canlized in heavy seas Monday night and sank Wednesday. Three C-130 planes and a helicopter searched along the Altair's expected traveling path and efforts continued to raise the ship by radio. The Altair and its seven-member crew had been expected to arrive in the Priblifos Wednesday. Philippine minister to discuss bases MANILA, Philippines — Philippine Defense Minister Ponce Enriole leaves today for the United States, where he is expected to lay the groundwork for negotiations on how much Washington will pay for its largest bases in southeast Asia Enrile, a 59-year-old U.S. educated lawyer, will lead a 10-man delegation to meet with Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger and other administration officials Feb. 23-24, a Defense Ministry spokesman said. spokesman said Expected to be high on the agenda is the forthcoming review of the agreement under which the United States operates the sprawling Subic Bay Naval Base, Clark Air Base and three smaller installations. BAY NAVY BEACH in command, which dates back to 1947, was last amended in 1979, when the bases were placed under Philippine sovereignty and the United States assured continued "unhampered military operations" within the facilities. Bill doesn't stop use of some IOUs SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Gov George Deukmejian signed a state budget rescue plan yesterday providing a possible sales tax increase but the bill came too late to stop the use of IOU's for a few days. Banks took Deuknejman's signature on the long-sought measure as the signal that the nation's richest state would be able to pay its debts. the signal that the 17-month rescue plan, California's treasury will be broke Wednesday and the state will end the budget year June 30 with a $900 million deficit. a $900 million benefit. The Republican governor and legislative leaders who have been negotiating a compromise for five weeks missed by two days a deadline for obtaining fresh cash in time to stave off IOUs. The delay means 75,000 Californians will get IOUs instead of state income tax refund checks beginning Wednesday. "It is not merely a proposal to give some fellowship funds to students on the basis of sexual orientation," Kennedy said, "but a proposal to restrict those funds to a student who announces a sexual orientation publicly." School likely to reject grant for gays STANFORD, Calif. -- Stanford University probably will turn down an anonymous donor's offer to establish a scholarship for professed homosexuals. President Donald Kennedy said Wednesday. publicly. Kennedy said the $500 bequest also violated university guidelines that banned linkage of contributions to specific races, political beliefs or religions. Kennedy said he doubted the school would accept the donation. The final decision will not be made for another week. David Abernethy, a graduate student and member of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance at Stanford, said he thought the school should accept the annual donation Fire toll rises to 69 in southern Australia MELBOURNE, Australia — More than 5,500 firefighters yesterday struggled in 100-degree heat to contain at least 50 blazes sweeping across southern Australia in the second day of a bombing attack on 69 people and destroyed 2.156 homes. By United Press International destroyed but cars and the carcasses of animals littered the countryside. Hundreds of kangaroos, wallabies, cattle and sheep had to be shot after they suffered serious burns. Ranchers reported staggering losses. ported suggested they officials said 28 people were killed in South Australia and 43 in Victoria, the two states where fires rushed across parched plains pushed by strong winds. Most were trapped in their homes by walls of fire or incinerated in their cars while trying to escape. AMONG THE fatalities were 12 volunteer firefighters, including a woman, who were trapped in a ring of fire and burned to death in seconds near Beaconsfield in Victoria. More than 5,800 firefighters, handling heavy equipment, were mobilized to fight the fires. Firefighters aided by rain appeared to have brought the blazes under control in the state of South Australia. South Australia But more than 50 blazes raged on in neighboring Victoria, where seven small towns burned down. "South Australia and Victoria have been devastated by a bloocastau and I extend my sincerest sympathy," a stunned Prime Minister Malcolm Members of the Australian Insurance Assessors Association said 1,980 homes were destroyed. They estimated damage at $400 million. Hundreds more were injured in what opposition Labor Party leader Bob Hawke called "one of the greatest tragedies in our history." Fraser said after surveying stricken areas from a helicopter. THE HELPLESSNESS thousands felt was captured by radio reporter Murray Nicol as he described the loss of his home on the outskirts of the South Australian capital of Adelaide "Oh! God damn it, it's just beyond belief," he said in a choked voice in a live report. "There are fires burning all around me." "The front section of my house is blazing, the roof section has fallen in. my water tanks are useless, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it . The house is just going before my eyes." More than 100 Adelaide Hills homes burned to the ground and residents said footers were moving into the area. "People are coming up from nearby towns and they are taking clothes, baby clothes, axes, anything they can," one distraught woman reported. "God help anyone who is found looting in the fire areas," warned Adelaide Police Inspector John Bevan. Police said they were questioning three 14-year-old boys about a fire that destroyed 50 houses outside Melbourne, capital of Victoria. Another man being destroyed Cockatoo and upper Bearesfield, two of the seven burned out townships. In South Australia, unconfirmed reports cited arson as a factor in the blaze that virtually wiped out Mount Burr Pine forest, about 168 miles southeast of Adelaide. USDA survey says farmers will cut corn acreage By United Press International WASHINGTON - Farmers indicate they will go along with some government crop reduction programs by cutting their planted corn acreage this spring by 15 percent, the Agriculture Department said yesterday. The agency based its warning partly on the timing of its annual survey, which fell not quite two weeks into the seven-week enrollment period for the But the department, which asked 40,000 farmers about their planting intentions late last month, cautioned that the survey is "only a preliminary indication of farmers' response to the farm programs for 1983." new payment in-kind program. The sign-in period ends March 11. THE PROGRAM asks farmers of corn, wheat, sorghum, rice and upland cotton to leave up to half their land lade this year in order to help reduce the surpasses that have pushed down prices being paid for those crops. In return, participating farmers will receive government surplus crops that they may either sell or feed to their livestock. LIVESTOCK Supporters say once the program takes effect farmers will begin receiving better prices for their crops. Other crop reduction programs promise cash payments to farmers who leave smaller percentages of their land unplanted. in its annual "Prospective Plantings" report, the department said corn growers intended to plant 69.6 million acres this year, compared to 81.9 *b*'s 81.9 million acres. In the 12 North Central states, which generally account for 40 percent of corn acreage, farmers intend to plant 12 percent less acreage than last year. Farmers plan to reduce planted acreage of soybeans — not included in the payment in kind program — by 5 percent to 68.8 million acres, the report OF OTHER CROPS targeted for reduction by the payment-in-kind program, durum wheat acreage is expected to be cut 32 percent from last year's levels to 2.94 million acres; other spring wheat, down 16 percent to 14 million acres; sorghum, down 19 percent to 13.1 million acres, and rice, down 31 percent to 2.26 million acres. Farmers intended to hold planted acreage of all cotton to 9.28 million acres Total wheat acreage, including winter wheat that already has been planted, is expected to drop 8 percent from last year's level to 79.9 million Computerark 808 W. 24th St. 841-0094 Mon. thru Fri. 10-7 p.m. Sat. 10-4 p.m. (Behind McDonald's next to the phone company) Good friends will be there come hell or high water. Your friends didn't know a scrum from a dropkick. And they obviously didn't know enough to get out of the rain. But they did know how much this rugby game meant to you. So they hung in there-downpour and all. Now that the game's over, make your best move of the day. Löwenbräu for everybody. Löwenbrau.Here's to good friends. 1983 Beer Brewed in U.S.A. by Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI