THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN 80th Year, No.26 The University of Kansas—Lawrence, Kansas Monday, Oct. 20, 1969 The sweet, sweet taste of . . . rain This portion of Kansas fans at the KU-Nebraska game Saturday afternoon in Lincoln depicted a variety of spirited emotions. As if standing in the rain wasn't bad enough, the game's final outcome was regarded by most Jayhawkers as "all wet." Campus cigarette ban removed by Regents Action taken Friday by the Kansas Board of Regents makes it possible for cigarettes to be sold on Kansas college campuses. The action resulted from a unanimous recommendation by the All School Council of Presidents that the 1964 campus ban on cigarettes be rescinded. Chancellor E. Laurence Chalmers Jr. is chairman of the council. Max Bickford, executive secretary to the Board of Regents, said the motion passed because the individuals on the Board are different than those who were on the Approval of the motion by the Board of Regents removes the earlier prohibition and leaves the final decision of cigarette sales to each institution. Regulations concerning how and where cigarettes may be sold also will be formulated by the individual school. Board in 1964. The new ideas presented by the changed membership altered the previous decisions. Bickford did not think the re-instatement of cigarettes necessarily indicated a change of policy toward beer on campus. Cigarette sales on Kansas campuses were banned April 15,1964 after research done at the University of Kansas Medical Center indicated cigarette smoking was dangerous to health. The Board of Regents had requested the study after representatives of the Medical Center urged sales be banned. Criticism of the ban stemmed from arguments that students were capable of making their own decisions and from the fact that only cigarettes had been prohibited. (Continued to page 12) UDK News Roundup By United Press International Lawsuits are first of kind MIAMI—Florida Atty. Gen. Earl Faircloth, in an attempt to pry loose Mafia "tentacles deep in our society" makes an all-out legal effort today to close 15 Miami resort motels and two other businesses he contends are manipulated by organized crime. Faircloth said he would file a total of 21 suits through civil rather than criminal courts. The lawsuits, the first of their kind in the United States, seek to remove the corporations' charters and issue injunctions against any further business operations of the persons concerned. Kopechne hearing opens WILKES-BARRE, Pa.—The first formal hearing into the death of Mary Jo Kopechne opens today. Dist. Atty. Edmund S. Dinis of Massachusetts is expected to call at least five witnesses, including the scuba diver who recovered her body. The 28-year-old Washington, D.C., secretary died July 18 when the automobile of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, in which she was riding, plunged off a bridge into a tidal pool at Chapaquidick Island, Mass. Nixon to ease drug laws WASHINGTON—President Nixon has decided to seek a loosening of federal drug laws so that possession for personal use of any drug, including marijuana, would be a misdemeanor for which the first-time offender would not necessarily be sent to jail. The revised penalty provisions were prepared by the Justice Department for submission to the Senate juvenile delinquency subcommittee. Hijacking begins in Europe The men asked for political asylum after forcing the plane, with 70 other persons aboard, to land at Tegel Airport in the French Quarter despite the efforts of Communist MIG fighters to turn it back. BERLIN (UPI)—A ticklish diplomatic problem confronted the Western allies today—whether or not to turn back two East German men who hijacked a Polish airliner to West Berlin at gunpoint. airliner, a four propeller Ilyushin, later Sunday to complete its Warsaw-to-Brussels flight, with a stopover in East Berlin's Schoene-felt Airport. French authorities released the If the four allies grant the men asylum, it will be against the U.S. policy of seeking the return of hijackers to their native land to face stern punishment—something that never has been done anyway. If they reject the men and send them back to East Germany, they will discourage officially any more such attempts to escape to the West. This was the first hijack of its kind in Europe. "Asylum will probably be granted," said a French official who reported the men, described as mechanics in their 20's were in custody pending a final decision. In Warsaw, the official television network called the men "terrorists" while a dispatch from the East German News Agency la- (Continued to page 12) Cyclamate removal planned NEW YORK (UPI)—Manufacturers announced plans Sunday for marketing new low calorie drinks and foods without cyclamates, the artificial sweetener blamed for causing cancer in rats when administered in large doses. The announcements came one day after the government ordered all soft drinks containing cyclamates off store shelves by Jan. 1. Pepsico, Inc., said it would begin distributing within the next few weeks a diet Pepsi made with a small amount of sugar instead of cyclamates. Coca Cola Co, said it will halt production of Tab and Fresca and begin marketing "a reformulation omitting cyclamates . . . in a short time." Canada Dry announced suspension of production of diet drinks even before Health, Education and Welfare Secretary Robert Finch announced the ban Saturday. In New Rochelle, N.Y., John M. Joyce Jr., chairman of the Seven-Up Bottling Co. in New York said the firm would have a substitute for cyclamates within a week. Joyce said the substitute was still being tested and would not disclose what it was. Seven-Up, he said, would have Diet-Rite and Like made with the old formula phased out by the January deadline and new ingredients put in afterward. Joyce also said he disagreed with the government ban, since there is no evidence cyclamates harm humans. In Chicago, Alberto-Culver Co. announced it would soon begin distribution of a sugar substitute which contains no cyclamate. The company would not disclose the contents of the new sweetener except to say it would contain (Continued to page 12) Moratorium called 'senseless' by Agnew NEW ORLEANS (UPI)—VicePresident Spiro Agnew Sunday condemned the October war moratorium as a senseless demonstration by youth blinded by "a spirit of national masochism and encouraged by an effete corps of impudent snobs" who call themselves intellectuals. "If the moratorium had any use whatever," he said, "it served as an emotional purgative for those who feel the need to cleanse themselves of their lack of ability to offer a constructive solution to the problem." In a speech prepared for a $100-a-plate Republican party fundraising dinner, Agnew said the nationwide war protest Wednesday was "a reflection of the confusion that exists in America today," at a time when "persuasion through speeches and books is too often discarded for disruptive demonstrations aimed at bludgeoning the uncorvined into action.