University Daily Kansan Wednesday, May 13, 1953 Trouble Spot Arises In Suez Canal Zone A British military spokesman said all defense measures and security precautions are being taken, and leave for troops has been curtailed. He said armed escorts have been detailed for vehicles. Cairo, Egypt—U.P.British troops in the Suez canal zone dug trenches today as tension caused by the deadlock in Anglo-Egyptian treaty talks spread throughout the garrison. The spokesman said precautions include preparation of troops and fortified outposts, most of which were constructed during troubles in the Canal zone 18 months ago. Battle-equipped Royal Marine commandos, the toughest troops in the British fighting forces, have left for the Canal zone to help defend it against any Egyptian aggression. The Admiralty confirmed that "certain movements of the commands have been approved as a precautionary measure" but refused any details as to their strength or destination. The commandos sailed from Malta in Mediterranean for the canal zone last night in tank landing ships, informants said. 62 Defense preparations grew from Egyptian premier Gen. Mohammed Naguib's warning that his country is ready to fight to the last man to drive the British out of the Suez canal zone. Truman Backs Ike Foreign Policy Meanwhile, in another world trouble spot, French paratroopers wiped out an enemy company in an air-supported drive ripping deep into Communist positions near the French stronghold on the Plaine Jefferson City —(U,P)— Former President Harry Truman said yesterday that he "sincerely hoped and prayed" that Americans would get behind President Eisenhower's foreign policy as a means of keeping peace in the world. Speaking before a joint session of the Missouri legislature for the first time in his life, he said he hoped to return later "and make you a real political speech." There had been some speculation that he might "turn loose" and flay the Republican administration, but it didn't come off. Mr. Truman talked government, something he has avoided since leaving the White House. But it was non-partisan, and he declined to "hang any hides on the fence." Instead, he reviewed briefly his 30-year political career, and pleaded for support of the Eisenhower administration. OPTOMETRY IN THREE YEARS, IF YOU HAVE SIXTY L. A. CREDITS In three college years, you can prepare for the attractive profession of optometry, if you have a minimum of sixty required Liberal Arts credits. There is a shortage of optometrists in many States. Eighty per cent of the Nation's millions depend upon the Doctor of Optometry and his professional skill in conserving vision. The optometrist possesses the dignity of being a professional man. He renders a service essential to the health and well-being of his community. Substantial financial rewards are obtainable almost from the beginning of his practice. Optometry is specially attractive to women. The U.S. Department of Defense and Selective Service grant optometry students the same consideration accorded medical students. Chicago College of Optometry, nationally accredited, is located in the heart of the world's greatest center for teaching in the healing arts. It is famous for its eye clinic. Dormitory accommodations, apartments and other facilities are available on a large campus. Des Jarres in Laos, it was announced today. For catalog and other literature, address Registrar, Chicago College of Optometry, 1845-H Larrabe St., Chicago 14, Ill. Adv. A French high command spokesman said two companies of paratroopers drove 15 miles into "no man's land" to crack Viet Minh Communist positions southwest of the French defenses on the plain. U.S., Soviet Officials Confer on Question Moscow—(U.P.)—U.S. Ambassador Charles E. Bohlen said today he had conferred 20 minutes with Soviet Foreign Minister Vyacheslav Molotov on 'a certain concrete question pending between the United States and the U.S.S.R." Mr. Molotov received Mr. Bohlen yesterday. It was Mr. Bohlen's second visit with Mr. Molotov; the first was a protocol call concerned with presentation of his credentials. The Marine Corps summer officer candidate training programs will train approximately 5,000 college men in 1853, according to Maj Herman Poggemeyer Jr. Marines Offer Officer Courses The future officers will come from about 500 colleges and universities in the United States. About 1,000 June graduates presently enrolled in the officer candidate course, the platoon leaders class program, and the women officers training class are to be commissioned during the fall of 1953 following their summer training, MaJ. Poggemeyer said. Cubans to Pray for Quiet College men (married or single) who are seniors or graduates may now apply for the October 1953 officer candidate course. College women may apply for the June women officers training class. Information and applications for these classes may be obtained from Maj. Poggemeyer, Navy office, Military Science building, phone KU 341. Havana — (U,P)— The Anti-Noise league has scheduled special church services here Sunday "to pray God to free Cuba of the scourge of unnecessary noises." Group Plans KC Field Trip A field trip investigating two Kansas City business firms will be taken Monday by members of Alpha Gamma Rho, honorary jewelry and silversmithing fraternity, Carlyle H. Smith, associate professor of art and fraternity adviser announced today. The group will make a complete tour of Leiter's gift shop on the Plaza, and Green's jewelry factory at 1710 Walnut. "Constance Leiter, owner of the gift shop is particularly interested in young artists and tries to put them and their work before the public," Prof. Smith said. "Last week she gave our students a shop display window which they arranged, exhibiting their own work. Leiter's is closed to the public on Monday mornings so we will have the shop to ourselves." Italian Professor to Speak Ruggio Tomaselli, professor of ecology and plant geography at the University of Pavia, Italy, will speak before the Linnaean club on "Vegetation of Italy" at noon tomorrow in 417 Snow. Coffee will be served. Soldier Sought For Blast Death Chicago —(U,P)— Police sought military help today in a search for a soldier who gave teen-agers deadly explosives that caused the death of an 8-year-old boy as he walked hand-in-hand with his father. Edward J. Voitas was killed instantly by the blast as he and his father, Joseph, strolled past a school yard. The teen-agers who detonated the powerful explosives said they got the material from a soldier identified as Bud "Moose" Scott Police Sgt. James McMann said that Scott was believed to be back at a post somewhere on the eastern seaboard. EXPERT WATCH REPAIR Electronically Timed. Guaranteed Satisfaction 1 Week or Less Service WOLFSON'S 743 Mass.