THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN 80th Year, No.6 The University of Kansas—Lawrence, Kansas Monday, Sept. 22, 1969 Petition replaces students' strike A student strike originally scheduled for Wednesday, September 24, has been temporarily cancelled. The strike will be replaced with a petition supporting the University administration's stand on the release of confidential information. In a meeting held Friday evening, representatives of the administration, the faculty and student groups decided to replace the strike with a petition to be sponsored by the University Senate. The petition would also congratulate the Kansas Legislature on its recent censure of State Senator Reynolds Shultz, R-Lawrence. Several state senators criticized Sultz last week for the subpoena by his Federal and State Affairs Committee of William Balfour, KU Dean of Student Affairs. Balfour was forced to turn over documents of private hearings conducted by the University Disciplinary Board (UDB) concerning the disruption of the May 9 ROTC review.. House Minority Leader Richard C. Loux, D-Wichita, denounced the committee's use of the subpoena. "I'm disgusted and disturbed by it." Loux said. "I think it's interference with the Board of Regents and with the University's academic affairs. "So far as I'm concerned, I think the committee was just seeking publicity without any real legislative purpose," Loux said. State Representative Bill Friley, R-Crestline, questioned the use of a subpoena. "I think the subpoena power has a purpose," he said. "It should be used only as a last resort. It should not be used on the whim of a legislator or legislative group." The student strike was to be held if Shultz released the 21 names in the document. University officials have maintained the documents were confidential. The representatives at the meeting Friday night agreed that a campaign to inform the University community of all the facts in the issue was necessary to understand the far-reaching effects of Shultz's action. (Continued to page 12) Moratorium discussed Members of several campus organizations met Sunday night to decide what action would be taken locally in conjunction with a national Vietnam moratorium scheduled for Oct. 15. The moratorium, which will expand by one day each month, encourages activities in which those unable to take the entire day off from work or classes can participate. Representatives of KU-Y, the Lawrence Peace Center, the Student Mobilization Committee, the Women's International League of Peace and Freedom, student government and other organizations discussed the possibility of a silent vigil outside the Military Science Building, a reading of the names of those killed in Vietnam, and information tables on campus to educate people about the war, as planned activities. Dave Aubrey, Student Senate President, said he favors passage of a resolution in support of the moratorium. (Continued to page 12) UDK News Roundup By United Press International Mao suffers stroke MOSCOW—Mao Tse-tung has suffered a stroke and is in critical condition, unable to tend to Communist China's day-to-day affairs, informed East European sources said today. Neither Soviet nor Peking officials would confirm the report. Neither would they deny it. Closed trial to be fought SAIGON—A New York attorney vowed today to fight any military attempt to close portions of the Green Berets murder trial on security grounds. The military said last week it expected portions of the trial would be closed because of the presentation of classified material. Troops get Viet tour cut DA NANG, Vietnam—The U.S. Marine Corps has reduced the Vietnam tour for its troops from 13 to 12 months, U.S. military sources said today. The order issued by the Pentagon earlier this month is effective immediately. Violence injures 17 RIVERSIDE, Calif.—Weekend racial violence injured 17 policemen and was the apparent cause of a $250,000 fire which destroyed a citrus packing house. A dusk-to-dawn curfew was imposed on Mullins, S.C. after rock-throwing and other violence Closed circuit game stalled by difficulty Approximately 1,600 fans attended the closed circuit telecast of the KU-Texas Tech game in Allen Field House Saturday night, but for most of the first half they stared at a blank screen. Due to technical difficulties the video portion of the telecast did not reach Lawrence until three minutes before the end of the first half, after KU had built up a 16-0 lead. Despite the delay, the crowd waited patiently for 10 to 15 minutes, straining to catch word of the game from KLWN radio FM over the public address system. But after KU's first touchdown their patience wore thin. "We want a picture," and "will we get our money back?" echoed through the Field House. Boos resounded through the crowd and a few fans stomped their feet, while others relaxed, noting they had nothing better to do but wait. When the picture finally appeared, the crowd cheered and those waiting for a refund ran to their seats. During the game's half-time ceremonies, the ticket office refunded half the ticket price. Fee payment Students who did not receive mailed fee statements must pick them up at the registrar's and pay their fees before Wednesday or face a $10 late fee, Registrar William L. Kelly said today. Blank screen brought refund demands