THE UNIVERSITY DAILY CLOUDY KANSAN The University of Kansas Friday September 16,1977 Vol.88,No.14 Lawrence, Kansas Auditing reveals misplaced funds By LINDA STEWART Staff Writer For the past six years, the Student Senate has been spending money that belonged to the University Photographic Services. A university administrator has past two years the Senate has received $3,659 that should have been paid to the Photographic Services for replacing KU The money comes from the $5 fee that students pay to replace KU IDs during the semester. The total does not include the student's student ID to replace their KU ID during enrollment. The misplaced money was discovered after an audit of the University Relations department, which includes Photographic Services. Craig McCoy, University Comptroller, said yesterday that the money was put into the Senate fund because the replacement had not been paid. The student activity fee was used to pay for IDs. When the University Photographic Services was created six years ago, the money continued to go into the Senate fund instead of going to Photographic Services, McCoy said. "NO ONE EVER informed us in the "NCPROTEC's Office that the money should discontinue going to the Senate fund and be put into the Photographic Services fund," Keith Nitcher, director of Business and Fiscal Affairs, said he did not know who was responsible for informing the Comptrollers Office of the change. McCay said he learned a couple weeks ago that the money had been going in to the bank. An exact figure of the money involved is that the auditor only covered a two-year span. Nichter said an audit is usually made of each department every two years by the Office of Business and Fiscal Accounts to see whether its accounting controls are specifically. However, Nicher said, the Office of Business and Fiscal Affairs had never done an audit of the University Photographic Services. ALTHOUGH THE money had been received by the Senate for the past six years, the Senate will only have to pay the University Photographic Services $3,695, which is the amount the Senate received in the past two years. The decision to require the Senate to reimburse the University Photographic Services for the past two years was made by Nitcher, McCoy and James Collier, director of University Relations. McCoy said two years had been a compromise that everyone agreed was fair. Mccoy said the total amount that had been received from the fund had not been determined, and would be delayed. "We feel that it might be more trouble than it's worth to try and find out the entire amount." McCy said, "It would cost a lot of money in point in time it would serve no purpose." NITCHER SAID he felt reasonably sure the Senate had not received more than 85.000. Collier said everyone would be more concerned if the amount had been enormous, but he was pleased the mistake had been noticed and corrected. "The Senate has probably already spent the money, and it would be inappropriate for us to go through it every six years since it never even knew it was receiving the money," he said. Steve Leben, student body president, said that the Stevens received of knowing that the Stevens received the move. "All of the Senate's money is deposited in the same student activity fee fund, and the figure changes a lot. he said. "The only thing we have to do is have to avail the University's books." Leben said the Senate always had trusted the University and had assumed it was depositing the correct amount into the activity fee fund. Chris Caldwell, acting Senate treasurer, said he thought the decision for the Senate to pay back the amount it had received in the last two years was an equitable one. "We're not complaining about this," Caldwell said. "They could have asked us to pay back the entire amount. As it is, we really came out ahead." State architect quits Caldwell said paying the $3,900 would not cause the bank to stay on any account currently being held. "We could have used the money in other ways, especially since Steve wanted to expand some programs," Caldwell said, but it won't really cause the Senate any change. Caldwell said the money would be paid from the Senate's unallocated fund, which is currently between $40,000 and $50,000. The exact amount in the unallocated fund is not known, he said, because unsper allocations have not yet reverted back to the fund. Rv JOHN WHITESIDES Staff Writer The resignation of Louis Krueger as director of the state architectural services was announced yesterday by Keith Weltmer, state secretary of administration. Weltner said the resignation would take effect at the close of business today, and announced he is appointing Carl Ossman of Topeka as acting director until a permanent director can be found. Weltner said he would not be a candidate for the permanent position. In his letter of resignation Krueger said it had been a difficult decision, but "until the division can be reorganized in numerous ways, I feel that it is impossible and unjust Kruger said last night that many of the problems he had faced as state architect had existed before he was appointed to the position four years ago. THE PROBLEMS had involved Kruger in controversy, and earlier this year he testified before an interim House Ways and Means committee investigating alleged defects in recently constructed state buildings. for one person to be accountable for all matters of business in this office. "It has seemed humanly impossible for me to rectify continuing problems within the division," Krueger continued. "I feel that my patience has been exhausted." See ARCHITECT page five Boxed in Richard Gibbs, FM communications technician from Topeka, adjusts the main cable to the 180-net-fault communications tower at the Douglas County Law Enforcement Center. The tower will serve a back-up communications system if normal police and county communications are knocked out during a disaster. Critics' voices rise with tower By TERRY SELBY Staff Writer Lawrence has a new addition to its skyline — one that has bad its share of controversy. The communications tower for the Emergency Operations Center (EOC), under construction since Sept. 7, yesterday was lifted off its side and set up unrigh ter to allow it to serve as the authority and Law Enforcement Building of the 11th and New Hampshire streets. It stands 180 feet tall, the equivalent of eight stories. Travis Brann, county emergency preparedness director, said the EOC communications center was complete before the cable was connected to the EOC center at the next week. Installation plans for the tower ran into difficulties last April when the Lawrence Douglas County Planning Commission and the Lawrence City Commission refused to approve the county commissioners' request to build the tower. IN THE FOLLOWING weeks, downtown residents complained the tower would be an eyesee and they did not want the tower overlooking their neighborhood. City approval was granted in May when city officials decided the structure complied with Lawrence's comprehensive land-use plan. While the city and county officials have resolved their conflicts, it seems the tower is still opposed by some downtown residents. "It's going to ruin our property values," she said. "I went to all the meetings and Eatsie Rice, 1124 Rhode Island St., who lives directly across the street from the tower, called yesterday's raising "diaspass." Staff Photo by JOHN SHARKEY Indaunted operations continues with grounds work between Wescoe and Flinthalls. Despite yesterday afternoon's showers, Roy Young of facilities constantly complained that we didn't want the tower, but you can see the result." She also said she was afraid the tower would interfere with radio and television Braun said he thought the tower would have no effect on reception. "We don't mind it," Joe Henick, 205 E. 12th St., said. "But it would have been better if they had put it some place else." ETHEL JENSEN, 1210 Rhode Island St., Cape Cod, not in favor of the com- munications tower right if it stays up, but I'm afraid that it might fall." neighborhood. "It won't be too bad," Carrie Fultz, 1140 Rhode Island St., said. "I'm all for progress." Other neighborhood residents, however, neighborhood accepted the addition to the neighborhood. "I don't like it," she said. "It will be all Braun said he had not received any complaints about the tower since it was put up yesterday morning and he did not expect any. Allocation of school funds being studied Staff Writer By BRUCE WELLS A change in the way Kansas universities are allocated state money is being considered by members of a special Kansas Board of Regents committee on formula Representative from Regents schools meets this week to discuss a study on university funding. Jerry Hutchison, KU associate vice chancellor for academic affairs, said yesterday that the meeting was one of many things this year to revise current mandate policies. bulldog present the policies, the amount of money allocated to KU is determined by the number of full-time students that attend class, Hutchison said. class, rHdrsn.sn According to Tom Hawson, Regents president, the new formula funding plan will develop methods other than parallels for deciding a budget. RAWSON SAID it was unrealistic to finance a university according to its enrollment figures because a variety of factors could determine the costs of various departments. Robert Aungebrun, chairman of the economic status committee for the KU chapter of the American Association of University Professors (AUP) hoped the new formula would eliminate unjust allocation of funds to departments at courses to visit. Instead, he said, one alternative may be to fund universities according to departmental needs, regardless of enrollment. Some departments, he said, might not necessarily have a large enrollment but might need funds for equipment. Currently, departments with small enrollments are at a disadvantage, he said. many departments, particularly the smaller ones, are vulnerable," he said. It (the present formula) does not account for the quality of some departments by their enrollment." AANGENBRUNG SAID when a university's enrollment drop, the department face cutback because more money will go to the more popular depart- "I rubbish it," I think it's a secret about the "don't think of our library." Angeenburg said, "It's a result of no special consideration." Watson Library also suffers under the current funding policy, he said. sidertion Watson and other enrolment related programs needed a certain amount See FUNDING page nine NIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Capsules From the Associated Press, United Press International Schneider out of governor's race Lance calls statements unfair HAYS—Kansas Atty. Gum. Curt Schneider said yesterday he probably would not seek the Democratic nomination for governor in 1978 in light of recent attacks upon his character. Schneider met with his unofficial campaign director Norbert Dreling, and Dreling advised him not to become inside-trouble. See story page two. WASHINGTON—Bud Director Bert Lance took the offense against his critics yesterday with a 90-minute leoad statement defending himself, and attacking the news media and the two senior members of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee in his first day of hearings before the group. He sent the media, Sen. Charles Percy, R-II, and Senator Bob D-Conn., that they had been under investigation for statements. President Carter was keeping "an open mind" on Lance's future and probably would make a decision in his future when the committee completes hearings. See story page two. Search for dead goes on in KC KANSAS CITY, Mo. *Police continue to search in the mud and debris left from the city's worst flood in 25 years for victims in addition to the 24 already found. The body of the latest victim, Leroy Adams, 46, of Kansas City, Mo., was found in his silf-cilled车 lifted yesterday from Brush Avenue in damages estimated from the vehicle, vehicular loss alone has been set at $4 million, and damage to schools, streets and other public property at more than $8 million.* Teen minimum wage maintained Teen minimum wage WASHINGTON—By one vote, the House beat back attempts yesterday to require a lower minimum wage for teen-ageers and then passed legislation to raise the nation's wage floor to $2.65 an hour in January. The measure also will boost the minimum wage to $2.05 an hour by 1980—a 75- cent increase over the current hourly minimum. About 3.1 million of the nation's 90 million workers are paid the current minimum wage. House Speaker Thomas P. O'Neill broke a tie vote on the controversial business-backed proposal to pay youths 85 per cent of the minimum wage for their first six months on the job. $80.000 given in sex bias case WASHINGTON - A settlement of $50,000 has been awarded to a former female professor at Southern Illinois University by the Department of Health, Education and Welfare in a six-year-old sex discrimination suit. That sum was described as the largest monetary award ever granted to order bearer discriminatory contractors on the basis of sex, race, religion. The instructor, Marisa Canut-Amores, a tenured professor at SIU's school of engineering and technology when she filed the 1971 complaint, alleged that she was paid from $231 to $589 a month from 1964 to 1971 then men doing the same work on summer worksite contracts and that her severance from employment school was discriminatory. The settlement represents back pay and damages, an HEW spokesman said. Moeser Locally... James Moeser, dean of the School of Fine Arts, struck a responsive chord as he toured Germany performing concerts last summer. But Moeser, also a professor in organ, has made a lot of progress since 1981. He is chair director at a local church and plays each Sunday on an organ that he helped design. See story page 12