Page 2 University Daily Kansan. August 25, 1981 News Briefs From United Press International Abscam-convicted senator recommended for expulsion WASHINGTON - The Senate Ethics Committee unanimously voted yesterday that Sen. Harrison Williams, Jr., D-N.J., should be the first U.S. senator expelled since the Civil War because his Abscense involvement was "ethically repugnant." Williams wowed to fight it. "I have indicated I am not going to resign. I am going to advance every opportunity that is before me to show clearly my innocence. This is a significant step in furtherance of my opportunity," Williams said. Meeting with reporters after the recommendation was made, Williams, the only senator involved in Abscam and the only convicted participant remaining in Congress, said, "I certainly feel in my heart, and I know in my mind that I did done anything that warrants resignation or expulsion from the U.S. Senate." The vote came after seven hours of arguments by lawyers for both the convicts and the commissioners, and came after the convict's acquittal in a corruption conspiracy trial. Sen. Malcolm Wallop, R-Wyo., chairman of the panel, said none of the committee members enjoyed the task of voting to expel their colleague, but Mr. Wallop insisted that it be done. The committee decided that the resolution would not be sent to the Senate until Williams' appeal before Judge George Pratt was decided. That meant that the Senate debate on expulsion probably would not take place until Pratt ruled on the appeal motions, probably not before October. his sage and he happily told His wife, Jeanette, sat by the side of the 23-year Senate veteran. Williams called it a victory that the panel recommended postponing the Senate debate until after his appeal. Williams said twice he was grateful that the committee recognized that "mitigating circumstances" might arise in his case and that the Senate should hold off its consideration until his appeals were over. WASHINGTON—The Reagan administration announced yesterday it would notify Congress on Sept. 9 that it intends to sell Saudi Arabia $8.5 U.S. unveils arms sale to Saudis The package includes five airborne Warning and Control System aircraft (AWACS). The AWACS plane, through its radar and communication network, can direct interceptor planes to hostile aircraft. Each aircraft costs about $127 million, including ground support equipment. The agreement also calls for conformal fuel tanks. The tanks, attached along the wings of the F-15 fighter, would allow long intercept missions. Officials say the deal will provide 1,177 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles, which can be fired at a hostile aircraft from any angle. Navy F-14 Tomcat fighters used the Sidewinder missile to shoot down two Soviet-built Libyan aircraft last week. The deal also calls for the sale of six KC-135 tanker aircraft. The new four-engine tanker will allow the Saudi's F-15s to remain airborne for extended periods, thus increasing their range. Chapman sentenced to 20 years NEW YORK - Mark David Chapman, the self-proclaimed "Catcher in the Rye," was sentenced yesterday to a prison term of 20 years to life for killing former Beatle John Lennon in an ambush his attorned called a "monstrously irrational" act. Chapman, 26, who pleaded guilty in June to the slaying after announcing that God had ordered him to confess, clutched a copy of "The Catcher in the Rye" throughout the court proceeding and read a passage from the novel as his "final spoken words." Flanked by armed guards, Chapman remained impassive as State Supreme Court Justice Dennis Edwards ordered him to serve a minimum of 20 years in jail. Earlier, Edwards rejected a defense motion to throw out Chapman's guilty plea and a defense request for a new psychiatric hearing. There is no doubt in the court's mind that he is accountable, responsible, said Edwards, who described Lennon's slaying as a "knowing, voluptuous, manipulative man." The judge also said there was "no question that the defendant would benefit from psychiatric treatment." South Africa denies mobilization PRETORIA, South Africa—South Africa yesterday denied as "blatant lies" Angolan claims that south African troops were massing for a major offensive along its southern border with Namibia. "These latest accusations are such blatant lies they are pathetic." "All the communicans of the Angolan Ministry of Defense can be described as very poor propaganda attempts," said a South African Defense Force spokesman. "They are just a smokescreen to hide the unrest in Angola itself. and published in Portugal yesterday said South Africa, Angola's capital, and in a major offensive against Angola's provincial capital of Ondulvile. "A great concentration of forces of the racist South African Army, mercenaries and angolan puppets (anti-government guerrillas)" had been observed across the border from Ondjiva (formerly Vila Pereira de Eca) about 30 miles north of the frontier, for three days, the communal said. It claimed the military buildup coupled with seven separate South African "bombing and strafing" raids in the area in the preceding five days signaled a big push against the town of 5,000. Hinckley indicted for Reagan attack If convicted, Hinkley could face up to life imprisonment for attempting to kill the president and assault with intent to kill while armed. WASHINGTON - John W. Hinkley Jr., the 28-year-old drifter who may have been motivated by a crush on teen-age actress, Jody Foster, was indicted yesterday on charges of trying to kill President Reagan and wounding three others. A federal grand jury returned a 13-count indictment against Hinkley on charges that he assassinated Reagan on March 30 as the president left a Washington hotel. A Justice Department spokesman said Hincley would be arraigned Friday, when he will enter a plea before U.S. District Judge Barrington Parker. Hinckley, the son of an Evergreen, Colo., oiiman, also was charged with assault with the intent to kill Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy, White House press secretary James Brady and District of Columbia police officer Thomas Delahanty. The spokesman said he could not say whether Reagan might be a witness at the trial. The White House had no comment on the indictment. WASHINGTON—President Reagan's Cabinet Council has recommended administration support for a complete lifting of natural gas price controls by 2013. Group urges faster gas decontrol The sources said the Cabinet-level group last week decided in favor of a position statement flexible enough to support several different approaches to decision making. Under the preferred choice, a position statement would call for a three-year phase-out of controls for all gas by 1985, with controls to be lifted immediately. The administration also would insist on ending legislative restrictions on gas use, as well as price subsidies for residential consumers Gas utilities, as well as consumer and labor groups, oppose any such speed-up in the leisurely pace of gas decontrol set in motion by Congress in 1985. Mike Pohorzer of the Energy Action Consumer Group said there was "absolutely no justification for lifting prices" at this time. First-day figures show increase of 74 students Enrollment figures for the first day of the fall 1981 semester at the University of Kansas showed an increase of 74 students over last year's first-day enrollment figures, Gll Dyck, dean of admissions and records, said yesterday. Final enrollment will be available Sept. 18, the 20th day of school. Total enrollment for both the Lawrence and Kansas City campuses was 24,326, Dyck said, compared with the first-day fall 1980 enrollment of 24,452. The first-day enrollment at the KU College of Health Sciences and Hospital of Houston, Kan., was up 50 students from last at this time, from 2,258 to 2,302. First-day enrollment at the Lawrence campus was up 24 students, from 22,300 to 24,500. Many factors were expected to affect enrollment, including the 22 percent increase in tuition and a cutback in David Ambler, vice chancellor for student affairs, said the quality of education offered at KU would prevent students from ever declining drastically. student loans, according to Robert Cobb, executive vice chancellor. He said he was glad those problems hadn't deterred students from attending KU. "I'm most pleased that as many students as did cast their lots with us at KU." "Students are becoming more sophisticated about their education," he said. "Because of the quality of our educational programs and the variety of the programs, we offer a choice to a lot of students with different interests." Chancellor Gene A. Budig was unavailable for comment, but James J. Scaly, administrative assistant to the budget Budig was pleased by the increase. "KU continues to be an attractive player," said Joe. "We've gone to the students. "We're glad to have the students." Student Senate brochures being readied for distribution Three months late, but still timely, according to student body Vice President Bren Abbott, Student Senate summer information brochures should be delivered in the next two weeks. The black and white glossy brochures, which explain the history, committees and services of student government, were supposed included in freshmen pre-enrollment packets during the summer. Instead, student senators will distribute the 10,000 brochures, which were sent to the printer yesterday, through residence halls, sororities, fraternities and scholarship halls, Abbott said. Although the Senate cannot be to certain to reach all freshmen with the brochures and distribution will be more difficult because of the Abtout告示 the brochures would still accomplish their purpose. "Our main goal is to increase student awareness and voting at upcoming elections," Abbott said. One of the reasons the brochures were delayed was a decision to switch from color to black and white photos, which printed costs, according to Abbott. Abbott said that the brochure was not a fancy publication but that it would provide information about the Senate for several years. WE MAKE IT EASY.. with lower prices too! TEXTBOOK ORDER SYSTEM! We find your books for you! Fill out a textbook order form at the SATELLITE SHOP by 2:00 p.m. and pick up your books after 10:00 a.m. the next workday You even have the choice between new or used books! Less lines and crowds for only 10* per book title!! REFUNDS AVAILABLE IN THE TRAIL ROOM UNTIL SEPTEMBER 3RD IT'S NOT TOO LATE. Quit Searching All Over for your Books and Supplies! The Kansas Union Bookstores has quality School Supplies at low prices. A study by the UDK during the last school year With the Kansas Union Bookstores Refund Policy proved that we have as low or lower prices than anyone in Lawrence! We also stock all textbooks that have been ordered by the instructors—not just the books for the large classes. All textbooks purchased during the first 3 weeks of class can be returned at any time during this 3-week period. Books purchased after September 4th can still be returned up to 10 days from the date of purchase. Sales receipt is required and books must be in new condition (except used books). Use the Kansas Union Bookstore's Exclusive Student Dividend Program EXAMPLE: Book purchased Spring '81 ... $16.95 Current Dividend of 6% (Period 69) ...1.01 ACTUAL COST OF BOOK $15.94 kansas All cash purchases are eligible for this program, so save money on Texts, Supplies, Clothing and More!! Period 69 receipts (January 1, 1981 to June 30, 1981) Payments Begin Again on September 1, 1981!! At either Satellite or Kansas Union Stores. union bookstores main union level 2, satellite shop