VOL. 100, NO. 51 (USPS 650-640) THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN THE STUDENT NEWSPAPER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MONDAY NOV. 6, 1989 ADVERTISING: 864-4358 NEWS:864-4810 Lebanese pick new president, plan for peace The Associated Press KLEIAT, Lebanon — Lebanese lawmakers yesterday elected a Christian president and approved a peace plan designed to end 14 years of civil war, despite threats by a Christian general to punish them for "conspiracy." Parliament elected deputy Rene Mouawad, a 32-year veteran of Lebanese politics and a 64-year-old Monarone Christian. Legislators first stripped the president of some power, giving more authority to Muslim leaders. Fifty-two of Parliament's 73 surviving lawmakers voted for Mouawad in a second ballot of the special session. Six members abstained. Lebanon has had no president since Sept. 22, 1988, when President Amin Gemayel's six-year term expired with Parliament unable to decide on a successor. The legislators also re-elected house Speaker Hussein Husseini, a Shite Moslem, for a one-year term. He has been in the post since October 1984. Christian leader Gen. Michel Aoun, her Gemanyl appointed to head an interim Cabinet until a new president could be named, rejected Mouawad's election. Aoun rejected the Arab League-brokered peace plan, first approved by the lawmakers at a session last month in Saudi Arabia because it failed to guarantee a withdrawal of the 40,000 Syrian troops who control much of Lebanon. He considers the Syrians an occupying army and fought them for six months until a cease-fire was called Sept. 22 by the Arab League. Police say 930 people were killed and 2,744 wounded, most of them civilians. The general declared Saturday that he had dissolved Parliament. Most legislators declared his move illegal, noting that under Lebanon's constitution, only the president can dissolve Parliament. Aoun has called the legislators traitors and threatened to punish them for approving the accord without his consent. Syria was the first foreign country to react to the election of Mouawad, whose first priority is to form a national reconciliation government to end the civil war. New science library to limit KU security By Rich Cornell Kansan staff writer KU security officers will be spread too thin to provide adequate coverage to campus buildings when the science library opens next Monday, said James Denney, KU police director. Security officers patrol campus buildings, report maintenance problems and lock buildings. Security officers do not carry weapons. When the department hired the first 10 security officers in 1981, 170 burglaries were reported on campus, down from more than 400 the year before. The number of burglaries has steadily increased each year since then, to 245 last year. "The effect you're going to see is the coverage in a particular building is going to decrease," he said. "We can use eight to 10 more people out there." The initial decrease of burglaries after the department began providing security to 67 of 150 campus buildings proved the value of the officers, Denney said. The recent increases show that the University's growth has been too much for 10 officers to keep up with. For two years, Denney said, he has unsuccessfully requested financing from the University for additional security officers. Denney's requests have not been granted partly because he emphasized the financing of additional police officers during the same time, he said. "I felt the need for more police officers was more pressing at that time," Denney said. The department recently hired five police officers and had as many officers to fill open positions. He said he would use his next allocation to hire more security officers. "We'll keep asking until we believe we're pretty well covered," he said. Jeanne Longaker, KU police lieutenant, coordinates the security officers. She said she lengthened their shift from six to 10 hours to improve coverage and increase students' awareness of the officers. They work from 7:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. Formerly, they began work at 10 p.m. Their presence in the early evening now discourages vandalism, and their presence in active areas such as Marvin Hall. She said she wanted the security officers to expand services, but, with an additional building to patrol, they could not maintain the present level. "The services are actually cut down on the whole," she said. "They can't spend as much time in each building." Escorts would provide students and faculty a safe journey home or to Money courriers would deliver cash between campus offices. KU police officers curtailed this service a few months because of manpower constraints. Two services she wants to implement, Longaker said, are student escort and money courier services. Many KU employees have been concerned about the potential danger of carrying cash across campus, but their fears have not been realized, Longaker said. Drive for memorial kicks off By Stacy Smith Kansan staff writer The ROTC units kicked off a fund-raising drive on Saturday to collect money to build a Korean War Memorial at the University of Kansas. cadets and midshipmen from the three ROTC branches took donations after the Kansas-Oklahoma State University football game to raise money for the memorial. The fund-raising kickoff was part of KU ROTC Day, which also included a fly-by of four F-16 fighter planes before the game, a pre-game march and rifle队 demonstration by the three ROTC branches. Kent Gilbert/KANSAN "Our goal is to try to have a memorial in place within two years on Veterans' Day Nov. 11, 1991," said Capt. Todd Renner, assistant professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC. "We want to make sure the veterans of all the wars are represented with memorials on campus." Joseph *Prue*, Bittburg, West Germany, junior, and Patrick Deuser, Ballwin, Mo., junior, collect donations outside Memorial Stadium. A list of Korean War veterans who were KU students and faculty has not yet been compiled. Archive records in Spencer Research Library list about 50 students who died in Korea and those who died during training. Col. John T. Rademacher, Air Force ROTC commander, said the ROTC units were searching for Korean War veterans, faculty and at least one Student Senate representative to serve on a Korean War Memorial Committee, which would make decisions about the building of the memorial. "Korean veterans seem to be forgotten. I think the time is right here for a memorial," he said. "It all depends on the mood of the community and the campus to support it." The design of the memorial has not been decided. Rademacher said one idea under consideration was to sponsor a contest in the School of Architecture and Urban Design in which students would draw possible designs for the memorial. The committee would then select the best design. The memorial's location on campus also will be decided by the committee, Rademacher said he would like to see it built along Memorial Drive where the other war memorials were located. it's fitting to build a Korean War Memorial," he said. "There are already memorials to the other wars that KU veterans have been involved in, and I think Rademacher said he was not sure what the memorial would cost to build as it would depend on the design of the structure. He said the recently completed Vietnam Memorial at Kansas State University, which will be dedicated on Saturday, cost $20,000 to build. Individuals who wish to donate to the KU Korean War Memorial Fund can contact one of the ROTC offices until a committee has been established to collect donations, Rademacher said. Engineering prof wins H.O.P.E Award By Holly Lawton Kansan staff writer When Professor Bedru Yimer heard his name announced as the winner of the 1989 H.O.P.E. Award, he was amazed. "I didn't expect to win at all," the associate professor of mechanical engineering said. "There are so many qualified professors here. It's humbling to me. I really was touched and very honored." Yimer was one of five finalists for the H.O.P.E. (Honors for Outstanding Progressive Educators) Award, given annually by the senior class at the University of Kansas. After a final tally of votes on Friday, he was named as the winner before the Kansas-Oklahoma State football game Saturday and was presented with a plaque and an endowment check. Timer underwent an interview two weeks ago with the senior Board of Class Officers, the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic presidents, the president of the Association of University Residence Halls, the Mortar Board president and two members of Omicron Delta Kappa before advancing to a first position. willing to come back, "It was very challenging," he said. "They had very good, very pertinent questions. Some were pretty tough, but I tried to give as honest an answer as I could." Yimer said the award made him confident about his manner of teaching. "It says to me that the students are appreciating some of the things I do," he said. "I'm very encouraged by it." Yimer's colleagues also were excited about his reception of the award. "I think it's great," said David Parr, professor of civil engineering and a nominee for the H.O.P.E. Award. "He's a wonderfully gracious, very conscientious man." Karen Drees of the senior BOCO said the competition for the award was intense. "It was very close," she said. "All the finalists were impressive and highly backed by the students. It really made us feel good about how they feel about teaching and their students. They are all incredible people." Drees estimated that 300 seniors voted in the final contest. Only seniors belonging to the respective schools of the five finalists could vote. The other four finalists were Daryl Evans, associate professor of sociology; Herman Leon, professor of social welfare; Tim Mitchell, associate professor of art history; and Evelyn Swartz, professor of curriculum and instruction. Vladimir Horowitz dies of heart attack NEW YORK — Vladimir Horowitz, the Russian-born virtuoso who brought "controlled thunder" to the piano in a glorious career that spanned most of the century, died yesterday at his home in Manhattan. He was 81. The Associated Press He said Horowitz had been in good health and as recently as last week was recording. His living room was transformed into a studio as was his custom. Less than three weeks ago, hundreds of admirers filled a mid-town record store for an album-signing session. Horowitz's last public performances were in the spring of 1987 in Berlin, Hamburg and Amsterdam, Gelb said. The year before, he had His manager, Peter Gelb, said Horowitz died of a heart attack in the early afternoon. returned to Moscow for the first time in 61 years for an emotional, memorable concert shown on U.S. television. In a letter of condolence to Wanda Horowitz, composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein called the temperamental pianist "this amazing man." His final U.S. performances were in the fall of 1986, Geb said, when he played at New York's Lincoln Center and the return of the returbished Carnegie Hall. "He was not only a super pianist, but a super musician with all the mortal failibilities such geniuses have." Bernstein wrote. He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Wanda, the daughter of the famed conductor, Arturo Toscanini. Planist Andre Watts said, "It would be hard to come up with an equivalent. There isn't another Horo- wit. Thank God for recordings." He likened him to "a demon barely under control out there on the stage." Often hailed as one of the greatest concert pianists, Horowitz emigrated from Russia in 1928 and played his first U.S. concert seven days later. Horowitz was the model for a generation of pianists and the highest-paid classical pianist in the world. By 1878, he was called a "national treasure" by President Carter. Indeed, Horowitz played at the White House three times — first at Herbert Hoover's request, second at Carter's, on the occasion of the pianist's 50th anniversary of his arrival in the United States in 1978, and the third in October 1986 for President Reagan. Horowitz, whose trademark was a sporty bow tie, was known for his intense, electric performances. Vladimir Horowitz Students don garb of extras in Ku Klux Klan miniseries The first segment of "Cross of Fire," a four-hour NBC miniseries about the Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan in Indiana, was aired last night, it was filmed this summer in eastern Kansas and featured many KU students as extras. For many KU students enjoying a relaxing Sunday evening in front of the television, last night also was their chance to shine in stardom, even if only for a few minutes. By Lara Weber Kansan staff writer About 2,000 people spent a damp June day pretending to be KKK members rallying at the Grand Dragon's arrival. The group was supposed to represent 250,000 people. Paul Fambrini, Washington, D.C. senior, was an extra at the filming site in a field near Baldwin City. "I wore a white robe with a pointed hat and chanted "Steve,"" he said. Steve was the name of the Grand Dragon. Fambrini said he left before the final take was filmed, though, because it was cold and rainier. "I guess I'm not a die-hard actor." he said. 3 The extras did not get paid but did receive free T-shirts, Fambrini said. Ann Duncan, Kansas City, Kan. senior, also denamed a KKK robe for the scene. "It was starched really stiff, so mine kept flopping over," Duncan said.