st t, d s. bh KANSAN The University Daily University of Kansas Lawrence, Kansas Friday, January 29, 1982 Vol. 92, No. 85 USPS 650-640 Republicans unveil $70 million Lansing program From Staff and Wire Reports Two Republican lawmakers yesterday unmasked a far-reaching $70 million program to improve the state's prison system and quickly address the issue of GOP leaders and Democratic Gov. John Cain. The unexpected move came after nearly two weeks of committee work spiced with accusations that Republican legislators were holding up progress on the governor's plan to build a new prison at the Kansas State Penitentiary in Las Vegas. Senate President Ross O. Doyen, R-Concordia, said the program introduced by State Rep. Joseph Hoagland, R-Overland Park and State Sen. August Bogina, R-Lenexa, proved that the Republicans had been backing a new prison all away. "I think the governor made the issue partisan," he said. "I supported a new prison long before Carlin ever thought of it. He voted against a new prison when Bennett was governor." The new "10-Point Corrections Program" not only endorses Carlin's plans for a 500-bed medium-security prison attached to KSP, it also calls for a second medium-security prison to be built on state-owned property at Lansing, this one providing 700 beds. THE ISSUES of whether a new prison should be medium security or minimum security, whether it should be freestanding or attached to a building, whether it is being built for building a prison are adequate have been emotional points of dispute during special prison committee hearings of the past two weeks. The Hoalang-Bogina plan would require innovation and improving the state's penal institution, and improving the state's penal institution. Houghtail predicted the 700-bed facility would cost avg. $5 million, more than twice as much after a fire was completed. To pay for the program, the two lawmakers recommended a special corrections fund, drawn from revenues generated by a mill tax levied on Kansas taxpayers. That mill levy would raise $5.9 million a year, if approved by the state's voters. THE PROGRAM won immediate support from Republican leaders, but also was endorsed by Carlin and his Secretary of Corrections, Patrick McCain. In the end, the apparent truce in the battle over a new prison. The plan also addresses what the state should do with its minimum security inmates and how overcrowding could be alleviated while prison construction is underway. Those proposals include allowing the governor to parole some inmates sooner than their sentences call for, and establishing a moratorium on new laws that impose harbor sentences for serious crimes. "We are very pleased that the politics appear to be over and the progress has begun," said Carlin's assistant press secretary, Mike Swenson. "Now we can get down to a point where we can talk about developments instead of what's holding them up." Swenson said he did not think his administration had been upstaged by the Republican lawmakers' plan. "On the contrary, this is the governor's proposal being recommended to the (prison) committee," he said. "We consider it a victory for now." But Doyen said the plan was no victory for the governor. "I would think he'd be a little chagrin that he didn't initially have a plan, yet he was asking for permission," she said. because the polls indicated people thought he was soft on crime. "When we said, 'Whoa, let's draw up a plan,' he called that nartissanin." DOYEN SAID the only additions he would tack onto the new program would be the resignation "I don't think he can manage that institution. I can't believe he's only there been 15 or 20 times in three years. With the problems they're having, he should be up there seeing what's on." In a news conference called to comment on the plan, McManus called the plan "a surprising but reasonable offer." "I'm very pleased with the direction the proposal represents," said McManus, whose performance has been criticized sharply in the last two weeks. "I really don't care who gets credit for it. My business is solving our problems." "It was surprising to me because in the last two weeks the emphasis has been on the past. Some have called it a witch hunt. This is a horrific example of the past. I'm surprised and I'm very pleased." Hoagland and Bogina estimated that their program would cost the state $70 million in the five to 10 years that it would take to build two See PRISON page 5 Officials say inmates on hunger strike By United Press International LANSING—At least nine prisoners, including some involved in an escape last September, allegedly have been involved in a hunger strike against the governor of a prison conditions authorities said yesterday. Everett Cameron, who was the last inmate captured more than a week after a break by seven inmates last Labor Day, wrote his former wife Peggy Cameron of his plans to stop eating, saying, "We want what we feel we should have our rights, medical attention and decent plumbing." However, KARD-TV, the Wichita NBC station, said in a copyright report that the nine Kansas State Pententious inmates were eating food boarded from the prison canteen last Friday. The demands by the prisoners include more exercise, more phone calls, glass containers in cells and few limitations when ordering from the prison's Adjustment and Treatment Center. The station said it learned of the alleged hunger strike from relatives of the inmates, who were detained in connection with a drug case. that plastic had been placed over air vents, causing condensation that had run on the ground. Several of the inmates were placed in the Adjustment and Treatment Center because of the escape last September. However, officials found that all of the escapes were involved in the hunger strike. PRISON OFFICIALS said the plumbing problem did not involve sewage. They explained Officials are reportedly downplaying the hunger strike. "This is not viewed as a very serious matter." Bill Hoeh, press secretary to Gov. John Carlin, said. He said that Carlin was informed of the demands he had not yet been informed of the demands. JON HARDESTY/Kansan Staff Yesterday's sunny weather gave Bob Rose, 1415 Delaware St., a chance to exercise his Percheron horses on a Lawrence street. The Percheron is the oldest breed of horse in this country. Dozier about to be shot when rescued By United Press International PADUA, Italy—Elite anti-terrorist police stormed a Red Bridges hideout and freed kidnapped U.S. Army Brig. Gen. James Dozier unharmed yesterday just as one of his captors was about to kill him with a gun pointed at his head. "Stupendous operation," Dozier said, telling officials he thought he was about to die. "Just marvelous . . . I feel very good, very good, indeed." Dozier was the first victim of the Brigades ever to be found and freed alive. But if the commanders who saved him had taken even longer, he might not have enjoyed that distinction. As the assault squad burst through the door at 11:36 a.m. (4:36 a.m. CST), one of the terrorists pointed a pistol with a silencer at Dozier, who was lying blindfolded and bound by chains in a camping tent erected in another room, police said. One of the commandos knocked the terrorist to the floor with the butt of his rifle just as he was about to shoot. THE FIVE Red Brigades terrorists captured included Antonio Savasta, a former associate of Marte Marietti, the terrorist who masterminded the bombings in Italy and former Italian Prime Minister Aldo Moro. Exuberant police officials said the entire operation was over 90 seconds after 10 crack commandos wearing masks and bullet-proof vests broke through the door of the apartment. Savastia, 26, was also wanted for smugging weapons into Italy from Lebanon, police said. Beginning medical students intern with rural physicians Of the three men and two women terrorists captured in the Red Brigades' Padua hideout, two others identified by police were Cesare Lenardo, 22, and Savastà's girlfriend, Emilia Libera. 28. The remaining two, a man and a woman, were not immediately identified. Randy Maxwell Rabb said See DOZIER page 5 The urban confines of the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan., have been traded for the open spaces of Kansas prairie this weekend by 166 first and second-year medical students. By TOM HUTTON Staff Reporter "Rural Health Weekend is a chance for medical students to participate briefly in patient care while in the basic sciences curriculum of their medical education," A.J. Yarman, associate director of the Division of Health Care and Continuing Education, said yesterday. Senior medical students spend three months Rural Health Weekend, in its sixth year of operation, places freshman and sophomore medical students in 75 different communities throughout Kansas. "The people, as well as the participating doctors, show a tremendous amount of friendiness toward these first-year students." Yarmat said. "The students always return surprised by the excellent quality of care available in these rural areas." with a physician as part of the standard curriculum, Yarmat said. This weekend's program places the medical students in only the clinics of rural physicians. Sometimes, Yarnat said, the students are with the only physician in an entire city. YARMAT solicits participants for the program, which is entirely voluntary for students and physicians, by sending out letters to physicians asking for help with the program. Usually, Yarmat said, he received more requests for students with clinical experience. Weather See OUTREACH page 5 Today will be cloudy with a high in the 49s, according to the National Weather Service in Topeka. The wind will be from the southeast at 15 to 20 mph. There is a 50 percent chance of rain, possibly turning to snow by night. The low tonight will be in the teens. Tomorrow will be cloudy and cold with a high in the mid-20s and a chance Social workers battle against Reagan cuts Staff Reporter By NEAL McCHRISTY Staff Reporter The squeeze on social workers in public agencies is on. Tightening budgets means competition among programs for funds and among streams of people with demands that can't be met, or to see some worker who can help them. And social workers struggle for reasons why they can't feed, clothe and shelter needy people who walk through their door. It makes a social worker's life a daily battle. The program cuts are harmful, two KU administrators said recently. Richard Spano, associate professor and director of the undergraduate social welfare program, said the backlash against him came in spring about a change toward social justice. Spano said that the social changes during the Depression was a result of the times and the efforts of front-line social welfare workers who worked to improve conditions. "Poverty has always been with us," Spano said. "It didn't go anyplace." AND TODAY is a unique time for the new generation of social workers, Spano said. "The whole profession's commitment to social reform, I think, will be raised again and the notion of benevolence will be less crucial than social justice," he said. Spano is surrounded by social work in his office in KU's Twente Hall, and also as an administrator of the Trinity Foster Home, a home in Lawrence that she cared for five children from homes where their families have been unable to care for them. But soon, these children may have to move if budget cuts continue. Spano said. That prospect moved him to write Sen. Nancy Landon Kassebaum, R-Kan. "I wrote Kassabeum and said further budget cuts are going mean these kids will have to go somewhere else—probably state hospice, because there's no other place for them. Spano said this was partly because of competition among agencies for grant money. Instead of flexible allowances for foster care programs, the federal government now outwrites grants that will be allocated to agencies. The states then decide which areas will be given the money. Spano said that social agencies' needs will change in this period of social change. "There is a certain amount of cannibalism that is encouraged by that kind of a system." Spanish "More and more agencies are finding that what their clients need are not family services, but their physical survival is at stake," he said. Spano said he was concerned with not only those items that seemed to always be a problem, such as the unemployment rate among black males, but also by people who are forced to live in cardboard boxes in urban areas. He calls them "the box people." AND THE box people did not exist eight years ago according to Hardcastle, a co-founder of Wolff. Hardcaste cited figures that reflected the outs of human service funding. "Public funding for human services has been cut back by over 25 percent, probably closer to 50 percent in real terms," he said. "Private funding has increased, but by something less than 10 percent, so we in effect have close to 40 percent fewer resources. "We're not arguing that we should go back to some of the programming that we had in the past. Some of it was not effective. It should be eliminated." But Hardcastle said that current cuts by the National administration were gutting employment training programs. The necessity of training programs, he requests SOCIAL page. $ Proposed welfare switch 'disastrous,' KU dean says By NEAL McCHRISTY Staff Reporter The Reagan proposal to switch welfare funding from the federal government to the states may not make the programs more effective, but the KU School of Social Work did well. But the Secretary of Kansas' Social and Rehabilitation Services said that he needed more information to determine the impact of the proposal on Kansans. President Reagan, in his state of the Union message to Congress Tuesday, proposed switching full responsibility for the Medicaid program over to the Medicare provider health care to the needy. David Hardcastle, dean of the School of Social Welfare, said that the turnover of food stamps and cash benefits to the states would be disastrous. In exchange, Reagan proposed turning food stamp and cash assistance programs over to "I do not see how poor states can bear the costs," he said. But Robert Harder, Secretary of Kanaas' Social and Rehabilitation Services, said yesterday that many of the changes proposed by Reagan would not change the manner in which welfare programs were now administered in the state. "I think from the standpoint of food stamps and ADC (Ald to Dependent Children), there are some problems." BUT HOW the trade-off in programs will be handled is not known at this point, he said. "If it's an even trade—program for program—then we won't have any difficult jobs," because in Kansas, the money is about even in terms of the current fiscal year." Harder said that the proposal by Reagan should be an even trade in dollars and cents, if the federal government assumes all the costs of the Medicaid program. But Harder said he was unreserve about the proposed trade-off of programs. "The thing we don't know." be said, is what are the exact trade-offs? "For example, it mentions that the federal government would pick up the Medicaid program. We don't know whether they're going to pick up all the Medicaid program or just the mandatory provisions of the program, and that would make a world of See HARDER page 5