M1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 1 CENTIMETER = 0.3937 INCHES - 1 METER=39.37 INCHES OR 3 280.83 FEET OR 1 0936 VDS - 1 INCH=2.94 CENTIMETERS - 1 DECIMETER=3.937 IN. OR 0.328 FOOT 1 FOOT=3.048 DECIMETERS - 1 YARD=0.9144 METER MAVES Tuesday, October 20,1981 Vol.92,No.42 USPS 650-640 KANSAN University of Kansas Lawrence, Kansas The University Daily Penn House foes charge intimidation By PENNI CRABTREE Staff Writer Staff Writer City Commissioner Donald Bins criticized Penn House officials yesterday after hearing allegations that the social service agency in affiliated opponents to a new Penn House facility. Binns, who has supported the Penn House plans for a new office, said he would propose that the commission discuss the allegations at tonight's City Commission meeting. The allegations were made both publicly and privately to Binns and other city commissioners during the commission's Oct. 13 meeting, Binns said. "If there are threats being made, I want it stopped." Birns said. BINNS SAID he refused a request by Penn House officials for names of people opposed to the Penn House plans and who had asked to remain anonymous. Penn House, a charity organization that provides clothing and emergency aid to low income families, is financed through the United Way fund and city revenue sharing. Penn House officials denied yesterday that any threats had been made by any Penn House staff member. The City Commission is scheduled to decide tonight whether or not to approve a use permit that would allow Penn House to build a new building at their present 1035 Pennsylvania St. The Penn House proposals sparked a land use contem- fordation for Penn House and its east cess- tion neighbor. During a presentation to the commission last week, Frances Kite, an east Lawrence resident opposed to Penn House plans, told commissioners that a Penn House staff member had intimidated Penn House opponents over the last two months. KITE'S HUSBAND, Dwork Workman, who helped circulate a petition opposed to the Penn House proposal, said last week that he and others felt threatened by remarks that Penn House staff member Edward "Sonny" Blurton made during several meetings. "I've become intimidated by Blurton," Workman said. Workman said that several of his neighbors old him that he would leave remarks FNMHMLGEongs Night light The Kansas Power and Light plant, which provides electricity to the Lawrence area, makes a contrasting backdrop for a windmill, which provides another form of power to a north Lawrence farm. Senate GOP leaders seek revised budget plan White House agrees to trim $5 billion from 1982 budget By United Press International WASHINGTON—Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker said yesterday that a revised budget package was still evolving in meetings between Senate Republicans and the White House, but no decisions had been made about any specifics. Baker said he met with top administration aides at the White House Sunday, but there was no consensus on how President Reagan's $100 billion budget should be divided over a three-year period. Howard Baker "There is absolutely no decision on any part of the program," he said. Earlier, budget director David Stockman said the White House was waiting for concrete recommendations from the Senate's Republican leadership before agreeing to any changes in Reagan's economic program. He also said no firm decisions had been made. REAGAN HAD LAID out a detailed plan that included $1 billion in cuts and $3 billion in tax-raising measures for fiscal 1982. But the 1982 part of the proposal is in trouble in Congress, where members are reluctant to make further cuts this year. Baker said that although there was no agreement that does not imply there's a potential threat. However, he had been meeting constantly for the past two weeks with a special budget task force of committee chairmen and White House officials to figure out how many of the cuts and tax measures could be achieved. Appropriations Committee Chairman Mark Hattfield, R-Ore., had said his panel could only make half the proposed cuts. Baker and Stockman's comments came yesterday in response to reports in the New York Times and the Washington Post that the White House, after lengthy talks with the Senate's top Republicans, had agreed to seek fewer cuts than originally proposed. Stockman said the administration was "listening" to what the Senate leadership had to say, but he added that advice from Capitol Hill would be "in any kind of coordinated, uniform" form. "We think we have a solid plan for reducing the federal deficit," Stockman said on NBC's "Today" show. "There are other ideas on Capitol Hill we're listening to at the present time, but there haven't been any decisions made to modify our plan because frankly, we haven't seen an alternative plan with any substance or concrete details at the moment." AT HIGH-LEVEL Meeting Friday at the White House, Senate GOP leaders told Reagan's top advisers, including Stockman, that the $13 billion spending plan for next year's spending had little chance of passage. The reports published yesterday said the White House agreed to trim that request by more than half—leaving $2 billion to $6 billion in 1982 and increasing $4 billion in new revenues rather than $3 billion. The Times said cuts also would include $3 billion from planned increases in defense spending, rather than the $2 billion Reagan had proposed. Stockman disputed reports that a compromise had been reached. Stockman conceded that changes in the budget would be necessary, forced by unexpected developments in an economy that Reagan on Sunday said had entered a recession. "There are many developments here—some inherited spending, some more rapid improvement in inflation than we expected, others including higher interest rates. All of these have made for a budget picture that will require mid-course correction," he said. David Stockman KU directories omit some listings for Med Center The new University of Kansas Telephone University of Kansas Faculty & Students, arrived Friday afternoon. When Robin Eversole, director of University Relations, first tried using the phone book yesterday, she found the name she was looking for was missing. In fact, listings for the University of Kansas Medical Center—specifically, the Q's R's, part of the S's and everything after Willis—were omitted. "The company has always taken good care in us the past," Eversole said. "I haven't had a problem." Eversole waint's anse what would be done to correct the error, but she said she might have a fault. LEI ANFRV/Kansen Staff She also was not sure who was to blame for the mistake. Semester by semester, the number of pencils used by students to fill out curriculum and instruction surveys has dwindled. This year the University canceled its order of 20,000 pencils at a price of $1,800. See PHONE BOOKS page 5 Today will be mostly clear with skies becoming partly cloudy, according to weather forecasters. The high will be in the 60s with gusty southern winds. Pilfered pencil problem unerasable Tonight will be partly cloudy with a low in the middle 30s and a high in the 60s, with a high of the $60s. Rv MARK ZIEMAN Staff Reporter Every semester, more than 20,000 red pencils find their way into the hands of KU students who use them to complete the curriculum and instruction survey. Most students complete the survey, hand in the computerized forms and, for one reason or another, participate. Don't keep the pencils. "Over the years, we've ordered more than 100,000 pencils." Mary Howe, instructional resources research assistant, said yesterday. "We've been asked by the surveys to evaluate KU courses and teachers. "We still have to order 20,000 pencils every year, although they all say on them, 'Please return to curriculum and instruction survey,' "' she said. More than 50 percent of the students using the pencils disregard that suggestion. Howe said, and the department's pencil supply has steadily decreased. **THAT DRIBble, however, had better turn into a deluge if students expect enough to go** A 50 percent cost increase has forced the office to erase this year's annual order of 20,000 pencils. How called. The increase drove the price of 20,000 pencils from $1,200 last year to $1,800 this Part of the pilfered pencil problem, Howe said, is that many students regard the pencils as valueless and will not go to the trouble of returning pencils they have mistakenly kept. "We've never heard anyone come trotting up to the office saying, 'Hey, I read your笔,' " ANOTHER PROBLEM is that many in- families use the pencils on the pencils after they have been burned, she said. "We're not going to order more until the next fiscal year," she said. Lee McCreaky, KU English instructor, said that he did not bother counting the pencils when he was instructing. "I hand out the pencils to people who need them," he said. "If I lose one or two, no big McCrooks said that he thought other teachers did the same, and he thought that part of the problem was that the surveys were given toward students who had not when students and teachers were eager to leave. "Part of it's last day apathy," he said. "You just want to get it done, hand it in and go." Kelley Hayden, a RU English instructor who shares an office with McCroskey, said that the pencil shortage might not be the point of the problem. "If they're worrying so much about the pencils, they ought to do away with the survey," he Howe said that the cost of the survey would be even less if the nencils were returned. Before 1973, she said, the survey was run by the Student Senate. THE COST INCLUDES forms, computer grading and other materials such as the pencils. Still, she said, that figure is down from the pre-1973 total of $20,000. same said that campus mail officials had agreed to let faculty members and students place the missing pens in yellow campus mail envelopes and send them to her office. said. "The value of the survey should be questioned. How much does it cost?" See PENCIL page 5 Financial aid for nurses running out Staff Reporter By TERESA RIORDAN A shortage of financial aid for KU nursing has little to cure KANSA's present shortage of nurses. "It is so ironic that they complain about a shortage, but they're not doing anything about it," Billle JOB Burge, director of student financial aid, College of Health Sciences, said yesterday. Burge, who said all nursing scholarship money had run out for this year, also said that the government was discussing future cuts in the nursing school funding. "They're not giving us any money probably until spring. We're just operating on collections." Nursing funding, like other educational funding, is suffering cuts at the federal level, and some states have taken steps to increase it. NO DECISION HAS been made on a proposed scholarship program, similar to one already existing for medical students, which would pay students' tuition and other expenses in exchange for promising to practice in Kansas for a specific amount of time. However, State Sen. Paul Hess, R-Wichita, chairman of the interim Ways and Means Committee, said last week that it appeared a majority of committee members were opposed to a scholarship program as a solution to the nurse shortage. The committee delayed a decision on the program until November after State Rep. Jack Shriver, R-Aarkansas City, made a motion to go on record against the proposal. The shortage of nurses became a problem in 1980, when hospitals had about 700 vacant nursing positions in Kansas. In previous years, unfilled posts were as low as 200. "When it jumped so much, we woke up to the MNUNGING room." See NURSING page 5