THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN VOL.100, NO.27 (USPS 650-640) 25 THE STUDENT NEWSPAPER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS TUESDAY OCT. 3, 1989 ADVERTISING: 864-4358 NEWS: 864-4810 U.S. takes action on clean air, toxic ground EPA revises Superfund roster, adding 93 sites, removing 31 By Chris Evans Kansan staff writer Environmental Protection Agency officials last week announced changes in the list of Superfund hazardous waste sites. One site in Furley, north of Wichita, was removed from the list and one site was added in Kansas City, Mo. Nationally, 31 sites were deleted from the list and 93 were added, said Hattie Thomas, EPA public affairs specialist. The number of sites is now 1,194. Of those, 213 were not under active supervision but were merely proposed sites, she said. Thomas said Superfund sites were those designated as hazardous enough to receive government supervision and funding. "The Superfund has been allocated $8.5 billion to be used over five years," she said. "It's to be used to help clean up the site if the responsible party cannot or will not pay." Sites are constantly under consideration for removal from or addition to the list. The National Industrial Environmental Services site in Purley is still listed for cleanup, but will now be handled under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, which is less severe than the Superfund program, she said. Now that the Furley site had been classified as clean enough to be removed from the Superfund list, officials there might consider reopening the waste facility, said Ross McKinney, professor of civil engineering. John Mitchell, environmental analyst for the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, said that when officials at the Furley site were questioned on that point, they did not say whether they would reopen the site. "For them to do that, they would need to submit a proposal," he said. "A year or so back, they indicated that they would not say 'never', but they said they had no plans for the immediate future." Larry Knoche, chief of the remediation section of the KDHE's Bureau of Environmental Remediation, said that 11 Kansas sites were on the Superfund list. Of those, two are proposed sites, he said. Or the nine active sites, one in Olathe and one in Arkansas City are considered hazardous enough to receive money from the Superfund, Knoche said. The sites that receive only supervision are in Topeka, Fort Riley, Galena, Kansas City, Kan., an area in Cowley County between Winfield and Arkansas City and Wichita. The Associated Press Key House members end auto emission impasse WASHINGTON — Key House members broke a decade-long stalemate about clean air legislation yesterday, agreeing to apply California's strict auto emissions standards to the entire country, congressional sources said. The sources, speaking only on the condition that they not be named, said the compromise would put California's requirements, which are the toughest of all 50 states, into effect nationwide by the year 2002. They could be strengthened starting in 2003. The agreement is supported by Reps. John D. Dingell, D-Mich., and Henry A. Waxman, D-Calif., whose bitter differences about auto emissions have played a large role in delaying revision of the 1977 clean air law. Dingell, chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, shares the position of the auto industry, which has resisted tougher standards. Waxman, chairman of the panel's environment subcommittee, supports the stance of environmental groups in arguing for the strictest possible emissions caps. Most significant, the sources said, was agreement by Dingell, Waxman and others to back the compromise through the entire legislative process, including any negotiations with the Senate. With the two congressmen agreeing, passage into law seems inevitable. the bachelor. Although the Senate is not part of the agreement, its principal sponsors of clean air legislation already have introduced a bill with strict auto emissions standards. The compromise was designed to replace looser standards in the ozone reduction section of President Bush's clean air legislation, which also proposes to cut airborne toxic chemicals and acid rain. The agreement would require the Environmental Protection Agency and the congressional Office of Technology Assessment to recommend, in a study to be completed by Dec. 31, 1999, if even further emissions reduction were needed. The EPA administrator, who would make the decision, would have to take into account the availability of technology, the safety, the energy impact and the cost effectiveness of meeting tougher standards. Court to hear police search, abortion cases The Associated Press WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court, embarking on a term laced with controversial issues, said yesterday it would decide whether police nationwide may use sobriety checkpoints in trying to curb drunken drivers. The case accepted by the court, which poses the question of whether police officers may use checkpoints to spot drunken drivers, presents the latest test of strength for the court's newly solidified conservative majority. Michigan courts struck down that state's sobriety check program as an unconstitutional invasion of privacy, but courts in other states have upheld virtually identical police tactics. in addition to that civil rights case, the justices are looking ahead to a term in which they have agreed to decide thorny right-of-privacy arguments in three abortion disputes and the high court's first "right to die" controversy. The court also heard arguments in a Yonkers, N.Y. desegregation case centering on four city councilmen who voted against a judge's order to pass a legislative package designed to lure subsidized housing to the city's white neighborhoods The use of police sobriety checkpoints in Michigan was attacked shortly after state police began using them in 1986. The program was modeled after one used in Maryland. At a checkpoint site, police directed all traffic headed in one direction to a roadside area where the chase ended motorists for signals of intoxication. If there was no immediate evidence of intoxication, the motorist was given a traffic safety brochure and allowed to drive away. The average delay was about 30 seconds. If signs of intoxication were detected, a driver was directed to another area for further questioning and perhaps a breath test. At one such checkpoint, Michigan state police troopers checked 128 See COURT p. 6 Stacey Gore/KANSAN Farmer finds apparent murder Paul Barbe, Leawood senior, takes advantage of autumn sunshine with his dogs, Barkley and Stella, in front of Fraser Hall. Clouds are expected to move in this afternoon with a high of 62 to 65. Jump shot By Jim Petterson Kansan staff writer Lt. Don Crowe of the Lawrence Police Department said the victim had been positively identified, but he refused to release the man's name pending notification of next of kin. Local law enforcement authorities are investigating the apparent murder of a man whose body was discovered yesterday on a gravel road north of Lawrence. Marilyn Malson, Douglas County Sheriff's Department spokesman, said a farmer discovered the body about 7 a.m. yesterday on Douglas County Road 1250E, about $ \frac{1}{4} $ of a mile south of U.S. Highway 24-89 and $ \frac{1}{4} $ of a mile north of Lawrence's northern city limit. He said the victim, who was in his early 20s, was not a KU student. The man's body was lying next to a late-1970 model two-door sedan. The car which had Missouri license Chris Mulvenon, Lawrence police spokesman, said the door of the automobile was open when police arrived on the scene. plates, was parked on the shoulder of the road facing north with the passenger door open. Mulvenon said that no weapons were found at the crime scene but that there were signs of trauma on the man's body. Investigators discovered blood on the man's head and neck. "All indications are, at this time, that it is a homicide," he said. "The body has probably been there six or seven hours." Douglas County Coroner Carol Moddrell arrived on the scene about 8 a.m. and pronounced the man dead, Mulvenon said. Malson said it did not appear that the man had been struck by a car. Douglas County Ambulance Service workers transported the body to Lawrence Memorial Hospital about 11 a.m. yesterday Malson said that an autopsy was performed late yesterday afternoon, but results were not available. The car was searched and later towed from the scene. Multonon said that the car was registered to an Independence, Mo., man but that he was not sure whether the victim was the owner. He said evidence indicated that at least one other person was involved in the incident. Local and state investigators spent yesterday morning searching the car and the surrounding area for evidence, Mulvenon said. They also took plaster casts of shoe and tire tracks. Independence police have been contacted by local authorities about the incident, Mulvenon said. Kissinger testifies in Hersh libel trial The Associated Press CHICAGO — Former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger appeared yesterday as a reluctant witness for a former Indian prime minister who is suing Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Seymour Hersh for libel. "I would be just as happy if I never heard of Mr. Hersah again." Klisinger said after his first court testimony ever on national security issues. "The quicker he goes out of my life the happier I will be." Attorneys for former Indian Prime Minister Morarji Desi said Kissinger's testimony as "one who is in a position to know" was crucial to their case against Harsh Hersan. Desal contends Harsch, 52, labeled him in his 1983 book on Kissinger. Panel will examine status of minorities SenEx seeks to improve multiculturalism The University Senate Executive Committee yesterday instructed the University Senate Committee on Human Relations to study minority involvement in student organizations and organized living groups. The committee was asked to make recommendations for improving multicultural membership and activities in organized living groups and to "consider what efforts the sororites and fraternities are making to promote multiculturalism among their members and alumni and within their national organizations." By Doug Fishback Kansan staff writer SenEx unanimously voted to add the study to the committee's duties for this year after concerns were raised that minorities were not adequately represented in the University's Greek system. "I think it's very timely that we're doing something about it," he said. Gordon said that the issue of minority presence in campus organizations was not new, but that to his knowledge, the charge would put University living group policies to the test for the first time. SenEx member Jacob Gordon, associate professor of African and African-American studies, helped draft the charge. Living groups must comply with a Board of Regents anti-discrimination policy, he said, but it has not had much effect. "So far, obviously it's not enforced." Gordon said. SenEx member William Sanders, Lawrence senior, said the committee's study likely would not have an immediate effect on minority involvement in University groups. "Maybe a few years down the road, there will be some significant positive hanges," he said. Sanders said study of minority involvement would fit well within the University's "celebrate diversity" theme. "The timing of the charge is perfect — right on time," he said. In other business, SenEx voted to retain a charge from last year to the University Senate Committee on Human Relations. The charge instructs the committee to study the status of women on the Lawrence campus, using a 1988 American Council on Education report as a guide. SenEx also voted to change the wording of a charge to the University Senate Committee on Planning and Resources in order to reflect the creation last week of an ad-hoc committee to study salary equity and compression. Oral Roberts students transfer to Med Center He said members of the Med Center academic committee agreed to accept the students after three members of the task force interviewed about 30 students at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Okla. 10 students accepted after ORU closing - The University of Kansas Medical Center has opened its doors to 10 new medical students from the now defunct Oral Roberts University School of Medicine, said K.E. Ebner, Med Center admissions task force member. University in Falmouth. The task force members then made recommendations to the academic committee. The committee made the final decisions concerning the students. "We feel very fortunate to be able to accept these students," said Laura Zeiger, coordinator for student affairs at the Med Center. By Melanie Matthes Kansan staff writer The American Association of Medical Colleges on Sept. 14 announced that, because of financial circumstances, Oral Roberts University would close its medical school. This left about 120 first-, second- and third-year students with unfinished educations. She said that Oral Roberts University officials asked the Med Center to accept some of their students shortly after announcing the closing of their medical school. Ebner said the Med Center accepted four first-year students, four second-year students and two third-year students. Students in their fourth year at Oral Roberts will be allowed to graduate on time. Zeiger said the students were chosen by the same standards that regular admissions to the Med Center were chosen. Preference was given to Kansas residents or people with ties to Kansas. She said the admissions task force made sure that the students had comparable course experience and that the schools' programs were academically comparable. Task force members also considered the availability of space when making decisions. "We only have so many slots," she said. "It's not so much a lack of credentials." Ebner said that the first- and second-year students began classes yesterday. Third-year students, who are in the clinical phase of their educations, will begin clinics at the Med Center as soon as possible. He said that Med Center officials have worked out a separate program for the transfer students. The first-year students may have to spend some time catching up on classwork, Ebner said, but will be caught up by their second year. The second-year students will take the national board examinations next fall rather than in June. The third-year students should have no problems in the clinic. The transfer students were not available for comment.