VOL.100,NO.23 (USPS 650-640) THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN T THE STUDENT NEWSAPPER OF THE T UNIVERSITY OF KANSA SAF WEDNESDAY SEPT.27,1989 ADVERTISING: 864-4358 NEWS:864-4810 Notre Dame student spreads measles from KU By Melanie Matthes Kansan staff writer For the moment, the measles epidemic on the KU campus may be gone, but it is far from forgotten. In fact, a student at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., has been cursing "those damned Jayhawks" since he caught the measles in August at the University of Kansas. The student's visit to KU resulted in a recent measles outbreak at Notre Dame. Eric Brandenburg, Basehor, Kan. Notre Dame sophomore, said he visited his girlfriend at KU from Aug. Notre Dame to Notre Dame to begin fall classes. After attending the first few days of classes, he came down with the measles, he said, and was admitted to the infirmary for seven days. Watkins advises KU students to get vaccinated for measles By Melanie Matthes Kansan staff writer The measles epidemic is a familiar subject to KU students and Watkins Memorial Health Center officials and is one that should not be ignored, health officials say. Charles Yockey, chief of staff at Watkins, said that there had been two possible measles cases this semester but that no cases had Brandenburg said his doctors determined that he caught the disease between Aug. 21 and Aug. 23 because of the amount of time between exposure to the disease and outbreak of the rash. been confirmed He said that about 4,000 new students had not provided Watkins with proof of measles immunization. These students will have their spring enrollment placed on hold if they do not provide roof of immunization by that time. Vaccinations at Watkins are paid for by the student health fee and are offered every day from 8 a.m. in 4:30 p.m. He said that measles epidemics The average incubation period for measles is from 10 to 12 days, according to Stedman's Medical Dictionary. Because Brandenburg had contact with no one but KU students on those days and because of the recent were not uncommon at universities because about 10 percent of students usually were unprotected. He said that the nine confirmed measles cases at KU last semester were students who had received epidemic at KU, his doctors determined that he caught the disease here. he said. Carol Seager, director of University Health Services at Notre Dame, said 10 measles cases had been Yockey said he expected measles cases again this semester. such vaccinations. Jody Woods, head nurse at Watkins, said that Watkins reported the first measles cases last semester shortly after students returned from Christmas break She said that news of the outbreak resulted in 1,032 vaccinations in three days. reported since Brandenburg's case was confirmed. Six of those cases were confirmed, she said. Seager said that after Brandenburg's case was confirmed, health center officials required each Notre Dame student to be immunized or show proof of immunization. Notre Dame enrollment is about 9,000. She said the immunization requirements would control further spread of infection. Peg Ramey, communicable disease control nurse at the Elkart County, Ind., Health Department, said there were no measles cases reported off-campus. Ramey said there had not been a measles outbreak in the Elkart County area since 1963. Health Department officials did not expect the outbreak to spread beyond the campus. Charles Yockey, chief of staff at Watkins, said there were nine confirmed measles cases on the KU campus during Spring 1989. Two suspected cases have been reported this semester, but neither has been confirmed. Prodigy has brush with innocence KC museum to show work of 14-year-old by Jennifer Reynolds Kansan staff writer KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A fragile, litter girl walked timidly onto the platform and glanced at the large rectangular piece of paper stretched out before her on the ground. Her face, locked in concentration, offered no explanations or reasons for the talent she displayed as she crouched down over the canvas and began to paint in long, twisting sweeps of the painthrough. Wang Yani, a 14-year-old child prodigy from China's southern province of Guangxi, moved quickly between the canvas and the inks, occasionally pushing back a wisp of black hair that had escaped the pink bow at the back of her head. The music of Beethoven's third concerto played in the background, emphasizing the grace and agility of her strokes. Her blue jeans and red T-shirt looked natural on the teenager, but the art unfolded before her looked like that of an ancient Chinese artist. Wang Yani demonstrates her ink-painting technique at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. A 69-piece exhibition entitled, "Yani: The Brush of Innocence, will be presented from Dec. 16 to April 25 at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. At a painting demonstration at the museum yesterday, Yani stepped back to observe her work. She rubbed her hands together as she squinted her eyes to view the whole creation. She fell to her knees and closed her face of a monkey, one of her favorite subjects. She crawled a few inches to the left to add some fruit. Later, in an interview, Yani explained the picture, which she had painted in 26 minutes. "There are four eagles on a rock," she said through a translator. "They have come to visit their friends the monkeys. In celebration of the visit, the monkeys eat only meat. The eagles eat only meat. The eagles try to be nice and eat the fruit even though they do not like it." Her description of the picture is a simple explanation for art that has captured the essence of "idea writing," a free, spontaneous style in which that has no advance plan or model. painting read "by Yani, 14 years old. Painted on Sept. 26, 1889, in the United States, by a friend who comes from a long distance away." A Chinese inscription on the and had her first exhibition a year later. By the time she was six she had created 4,000 paintings. Yani began painting at age two "I paint six to seven paintings a See PRODIGY, p. 6 Defense dealers plead guilty to bribery charges ALEXANDRIA, Va. — A defense company, two former executives and a defense consultant pleaded guilty yesterday to bribing a Marine Corps official in a scheme to get electronic contracts worth $7.7 million. Whittaker Command and Control Systems, a Whittaker Corp. subsidiary, agreed to pay $3.5 million in fines and penalties for its part in the assault Marine Corps contracting official Jack Sherman. The Associated Press Guilty pleas were also entered by Scott M. Lambert, former president of the Whittaker subsidiary, John F. Van Tassel, the operations director of its Fayetteville, Ark, facility and San Diego defense consultant Donald Ilerman. All three men agreed to cooperate with the FBJ's continuing investigation dubbed "Operation III Wind." A federal grand jury investigating the case, meanwhile, indicted defense consultant Thomas E. Muldoon and another former Whittaker Command executive, Leonard L. Ingram, on charges of participating in the same bribery scheme. In its guilty pleas, the company admitted funneling more than $80,000 to Sherman between 1983 and 1988 through three defense consultants, including Thellen. The scandal stemmed from the awarding expansion of contract to provide electronic comments for a battlefield air traffic control system. The guilty plea by Whittaker Command and Control Systems is the third by a corporation in the continuing investigation of Pentagon procurement fraud. The company has more than 20 officials, consultants and businessmen. Muldoon, targeted by investigators as an important figure in the case, and Ingram were charged in the 16-count indictment with conspiracy, bribery and interstate travel to aid racketeering. Teledyne Electronics and Hazeline Corp. have both pleaded guilty for their roles in the procure- According to court papers and a company lawyer, Whittaker Corp. officials were unaware of The bribery scheme was conceived in 1881 when Lee Telecommunications started having financial troubles, according to court papers filed in the case in U.S. District Court. the bribery scheme, which began when the subsidiary was a private company named Lee Telecommunications. Whittaker Corp. acquired Loe Telecommunications in 1986, later merging it with another subsidiary to form Whittaker Command and Control Systems. Lambeth and Ingram were also involved in the communications and became, respectively, president and vice president of the Whittaker subsidiary. Lamberth, 59. deliberately hid the bribery scheme from officials of the parent company after the acquisition, the court panels said. "The board of directors and the present officers of the company do not have first-hand knowledge of the facts," Whittaker's attorney Daniel H. Bookin told U.S. District Judge Claude Hilton. See PENTAGON,p.6 State insurance cost increases for many By Doug Fishback Kansan staff writer University of Kansas and other state employees are receiving notice that some of them will pay more for state-plan health insurance in 1990. Kansas employees insuring only themselves will not pay more next year, but rates for spouse, child and full family coverage will climb under all six programs offered in the state package, according to a newsletter being sent to state employees this month. The newsletter is from the Kansas Department of Administration. Only two of the programs in the package are available to KU employe- dants. These include Blue Cross's Blue Select plan and Blue Kansas, also offered by Blue Cross. KU employees earning between $17,000 and $30,000 a year who insure themselves and their spouses will pay $29 more a month under the 1990 Blue Select plan, the newsletter stated. Similar coverage will cost nearly $26 more a month under HMO Kansas. Full-family coverage rates will climb by $25 and $44, respectively. Monthly rates for those earning more than $30,000 a year will be an additional $9, the newsletter stated The Blue Select program covers 1,634 KU employees, and HMO Kansas has 1,750 KU subscribers, according to reports from the office of institutional research and planning. There are nearly 3,700 state employees on the Lawrence campus who are eligible for state-plan insurance. Madi Vannaman, activity benefits manager for the Kansas Health Benefits Administration, said several See INSURE, p. 6 Men kill U.S. civilians on base in Philippines The Associated Press Also yesterday, gunmen killed a member of President Corazon Aquino's presidential guard about a mile from where the president will meet with Quayle today. According to a Pentagon statement in Washington, the victims were civilian employees of Ford Aerospace Corp., a contractor at Camp O'Donnell. The camp is a U.S.-run facility about 50 miles north of Manila and 12 miles from the U.S. Clark Air Base. The assailants then opened the card door and pumped bullets into the victims, Pimental said. The attack occurred about 5 p.m. Col. Florentino Amorabon, a spokesman for the Philippine Constabulary in central Luzon Island, said the assassins were believed to be members of the New Peoples Army, which operates in the area. The Americans, whose names were not immediately released, slowed their car as they approached a dump truck and a jeep blocking a highway near Capas, 10 miles north of Manila, where the spring from the jeep and riddled the city with gunfire, police Lt. Pepito Pimentel said. In April, rebels killed U.S. Army Col, James Rowe as he was driving to the headquarters of the U.S. Joint Military Assistance Group in Quezon City, near Manila. In October 1987, rebels killed three Americans in simultaneous attacks outside Clark Air Base. The attacks followed a series of bombings this month and came amid growing opposition to U.S. military installations in the Philippines. MANILA, Philippines — Gunmen believed to be Communist rebels ambushed and killed two U.S. civilians working at a U.S. air base yesterday before Vice President Dan Quayle arrived to discuss the future of U.S. military installations here, police said. The United States operates Clark Air Base, the Subic Bay naval base and four smaller installations in the Philippines, but there are increased calls for an end to the U.S. military presence. Knight-Ridder Tribune News/PAUL SOUTAR 9 As Quayle arrived, hundreds of leftists burned an effigy of him and an American flag while chanting "Bases out! Quayle go home!" Quayle arrived in Manila from Japan about 7:30 p.m. for a visit expected to focus on the future of the city, which is due to ease that exfoliate in September 1991. Acting Foreign Secretary Manuel See PHILIPPINES, p. 6