A THE UNIVERSITY DAILY cheerful KANSAN The University of Kansas Vol.89,No.49 Thursday, November 2.1978 Committee lists sports needs See page six Group shaves hall rate plan BvLORILINENBERGER Staff Reporter Residence halls rate at the University of Kansas will increase next year, but probably not by as much as the Association of University Residence Halls had recommended, Jay Smith, AURH contracts chairman, said yesterday. However, the limit on the number of residence hall single rooms will be lower than AURH recommended to the Vice President Programming Advisory Board on Oct. 13. AURH, after approving a rate increase proposal submitted by its contracts committee, the double rooms be increased from $1,285 to $1,385 and for single rooms from $1,650. HPAP, composed of KU and housing administrators and AURH president Larry Burke, will be reduced the basic rate for double rooms to $1.370 and for single rooms to $1.900. That would be an increase over last year's rates of $85 for double rooms and $26 for single rooms. RAPE WILL absorb part of the decrease in rates by reducing the number of single nucleotides. The board lowered the limit on the percentage of rooms used as single rooms from the 20 percent suggested by AURH to 12 percent. In addition, the board decided to prohibit the conversion of double rooms to single rooms in Gertrude Sellards Pearson-Corbin balls. Fred McEhlenne, director of the office of residential programs and RPAB member, said there had not been a sufficient demand from women living in homes with single rooms or single rooms as single rooms. GSP-Corbin will still have some rooms designated as single rooms because some rooms are not large enough for two residents, he said. McElhenie said the board decreased the number of single rooms in residence halls to create more openings and to ease the increase in rates for students in double rooms. "SINGLE ROOMS are a luxury and that is how we have to view them," he said. "We need to feel it is necessary to provide the space that they contract for and to get them into a In recent years, residents in the University halls have experienced overcrowding. Students have been forced to live in temporary housing, such as laundry rooms and recreation rooms, until permanent rooms were made available. Some students, now in their 10th week of classes, still are living in temporary homes. The revised proposal was submitted yesterday to David Ambler, vice chancellor for student affairs. In the revised proposal, the basic rate for double rooms was quoted at $25 per night, a $25 charge paying on the installment plan and a $18 charge for hall security. Each license includes the user must be enrolled in the installation and security fees. The rates, without installment and security fees, represent a 6.6 percent increase from last year's basic rate for double rooms and a 12.1 percent increase from the About 4,700 students, or slightly more than 20 percent of the student body, will be af- fered. McEllenie said residence hall rates were increased primarily because of inflation. The proposal, after approval by Ambler, will be submitted to Chancellor Archie R. Dykes, McEllenbie, if Dykes approves the proposal. If not, the Kangas Board of Regents for approval. Other proposals submitted to the advisory board by AURH were approved and sub- Under one of the proposals, a surcharge to the basic rate charged those students living in rural areas. CURRENTLY, STUDENTS living in Hashinker, a creative arts residence hall, pay a $55 surcharge for the use of special features such as piano practice rooms, theater rooms, dance practice rooms, physical fitness rooms and art and design workrooms. That surcharge would be increased to $100. The increase in the surcharge would be used to renovate the special features. Approximately 350 students live in Hingham. The renovation cost is estimated at $12 million. In another proposal, the requirement of a co-signer's signature on a student's certificate bell signature must be obtained A resilience mat collector would be eliminated. Smith said that in past years, the college had filled students to forge the signature of a co-president in some cases, as a co-signer was not available. Anil Manner, owner and operator of Balloonport, guides his hot air balloon toward a field near 23rd and Kasold. Manner said that after liftoff the winds died, so he set the balloon down in the field to avoid high power lines and the Clinton Park building project. He also runs for an extended ride, Miller spent the rest of the balmy afternoon giving short free rides to neighborhood children. Miller and his wife Vickie became interested in hot air ballooning after they were married in a balloon that was sailing 1,400 feet over Kansas City on May 1, 1758. After learning the finer points of ballooning in Kansas City, the Milmers moved to Lawrence and started Balloonport, a service which sells balloons and trainers, along with giving tours and rides around the Lawrence area. Work begins at Med Center By DAN WINTER Staff Reporter KANAS CITY, Mo.-A construction company has been acting on nine alleged construction deficiencies in a University of Kansas Medical Center building, a company spokesman said yesterday. Vincent Cool, acting state architect, three weeks ago sent a letter to the company, Thomas Construction, Kansas City, Mo., outlying nine problems in the construction of Orr-Major Hall, the Med Center building. Cool said he thought Thomas Construction should be responsible for correcting the problems. The letter threatened Thomas Construction with legal action if the company did not meet the architect's demands within 60 days. Bernard Gram, the Thomas Construction spokesman, said, "We are trying to come up with a solution to the problem." The company is a bad taste in its mouth for our company. "We don't want to give them anything but we're willing to bend a little instead of going to court and getting involved in a long, drawn-out battle." GRAM SAID that after inspecting the problems cited in Cool's letter, the company found that several items listed were not part of the company's original Problems cited included improperly hung doors, sidewalks that settled and cracked and window glass that did not meet specifications. Gram is meeting with a state fire marshal today, he said, to inspect the doors that allegedly were not hung according to state specifications. Gram said the problems with the window glass were not the responsibility of his company because the proper type of glass was not specified in the contract. Gram said his company had performed a lot of exploratory work about the alleged problems but had not done any work to remedy them. JAMES THOMAS of Thomas Construction said the complaints were strange because the building had been open and in use for more than two years. Gram said the Federal Bureau of Investigation had not contacted the company about a study the FBI report was conducting as federally funded building. The FBI said two weeks ago it was conducting an investigation on deficiencies in federally funded state buildings. An FBI official would not say whether Orr-Mr Alliance was one of the federally funded buildings being studied. Gram said he and Cool agreed not to release information about Cool's letter or the company's reaction to it. Cool could not be reached for comment yesterday. Relentless river claims farm land Staff Reporter By ED FENSHOLT Staff Reporter For 116 years, the Lothbok family has tilled a small farm in Weaver Bottome, a 1,500-acre stretch of farm along the Kansas River two miles northeast of KANSAS. For the past five years, Robert Lohbolz has his form disappear, eroded by the many wounds. This week, Lothbolz and other Weaver Bottom farms stood along the river and heard U.S. Army Corps of Engineers of Iowa report that they could help them—at least for several months. The Corps can do nothing without federal approval and appropriations, Col. Walter Bell, district instructor for the Kansas City Teachers College, said on Monday. He said he thought the farmers could have been eligible for a river flood protection program to funds provided by a 1974 congressional act. BUT THE farmers applied too late to receive project funds for the 1978 fiscal year. In a letter to the board, Mr. most ones, county commissioner and owner of a farm in Weaver Hottoms, said the erosion was relentless. All of Weaver's fields were under the river bed in several months, he said. "We worked all one winter laying out the dirt and gravel we fought the erosion ourselves, with our own money, until it got out of proportion and we just couldn't stop it any more. We need help." Gene Haley, who owns a farm that after several years of erosion is at the river's edge. "When the river is running half full, you can sit out here for an hour and hear three or four chunks of land fall off," Haley said. "I'm next. We have to help." Rep. Larry Winn, R-Prairie Village, who was at the meeting, said he would try to get funds for a river bank strengthening project before May. BUT WINN said he thought federal appropriations for river bank strengthening projects for fiscal 1978 were almost exhausted. Funding for a Weaver Bottoms project probably will have to wait until the 1979 fiscal year, he said. Walter Linder, chief of hydrological engineering for the Corps' Kansas City district, said a river bank strengthening project would cost as much as $400,000. The Corps and some of the farmers disheartened about the cause of the erosion. Neis said he thought the erosion was caused by the Corps' efforts over the past 25 years. It is hard to believe dams on the river, especially the Tuttle Creek and Perry dams, sometimes kept the level of the water too high, resulting in erosion of the river banks and adjacent However, most of the farmers agreed with Bell, who said the erosion was a result of the river's natural migration. He said the river was flowing for 40 years, according to records dating to 1873. "IF YOU look at it historically," Bell said, "you will find the river has moved back and forth, cutting away at one bank, then shifting back. "It the migration is a natural process. It's unfortunate now, because there are people living and farming here, but stopping the erosion means stopping a natural process." Bell said he thought the dams had not adversely affected the river and probably would have been. No farmers said they were angry at the Corps for its efforts to channel or dam the river or for the Corps' inability to take control of it. The Corps frustrated and saddened the loss. "You get to the land you farm," one farmer said. "You have to see it, go there." Hoch to lose KU police Because of cramped quarters, the KU Police Department will be moved within three weeks, but a decision on where to move the police officers will depend. William Hogan, associate executive vice chancellor, said yesterday the department would be moved from Hoch Auditorium to Carrubu-O'Leary Hall or another location. He would not say where the other location might be. "We hope to be able to schedule the move into Carruth O'Leary or another facility probably within the next three weeks." Hogan. Hogan said earlier this week that the administration was exploring a fate other than Carrhern-O-Leary to see whether it would be accepted. However, Mike Thomas, director of police, said he had not been told another site was under consideration. "Hogan hasn't discussed it with me," Thomas said. "We had HOWEVER, THOMAS was not displeased with the decision. "It's great," Thomas said. "I didn't even know that we would be moving in three weeks." been scheduled or told, in other words, that we were going to be moved to Carruth or Oller. **** The relocation is designed to alleviate the lack of space in Hoch. Hogan said, "We have a fine police department that has access to our vehicles." The proposed move also would solve problems concerning the security of evidence and would protect the confidentiality of Administrators have been working with the police department since the middle of the summer to find an appropriate location for their training. There are about 40 employees in the KU Police Department. KJHK moved from box Rv RARB KOENIG Staff Renorter For the second consecutive week, JKHF-FM, a radio station owned by the University of Kansas and operated by students, will not be broadcasting this weekend's home football game from its usual place in the press box. And despite assurances from the sports information department that satisfactory accommodations would be made, some JKHK staff members still are unhappy about the possibility of broadcasting on TV and internet for a game used for last week's game—underneath the press box. The station was asked last week to move from its broadcasting spot on level seven of the press box to make space for three Iowa radio stations and eight or nine Iowa businessmen, according to Don Baker, sports information director. Baker said the businessman had been given places in the press box because they were guests of and potential contributors to the book. "THERE WERE definitely possibilities for them to be strong financial supporters of the athletic department," Baker said yesterday. "We are really very concerned at this point in time of looking for new sources of revenue. These people that were involved were certainly in that category." According to Bill Tencza, KJHK sports director, the businessman occupied one of the available broadcasting booths, thus bumping KJHK to the spot underneath the press box and behind the west side seating. "The businessmen took the booth for visiting radio stations and the visiting radio stations took our booth, so there was a three-way switch there really," Tencza said. "It seems to me that we are destined to do the same thing over again Saturday." According to Tencza and Sam Zef, a sportscafer and news director for KURK the conditions under which Saturday's game would take place have been confirmed. Zeff said, “It’s not the most ideal situation to call a game in. When people stood up, I had to stand up to see what was going on.” See KJHK back page TENCZA SAID, "Mainly, it's not a feasible place for a broadcast Mainly, it's not a treasible place for a broadcast See KJH back page