Daily hansan LAWRENCE, KANSAS 58th Year, No.132 Tuesday, May 2, 1961 Rebel Troops Advance in Laos VIENTIANE. Laos — (UPI) — Communist Pathet Lao troops were reported still advancing into Royal Army positions today despite a partial cease fire in this jungle kingdom's civil war. Reports reaching Vientiane said two villages in central Laos fell into Patheo Lao hands last night. A government official described the situation as "very serious" at the town of Tchepone, near the two Red-captured villages and on the road leading from South Viet Nam to the river town of Savannakhet. Tchepone was reported still in government hands but civilians in the area were said to be getting ready to flee. THE PATHET LAO troops also are in control of the town of Muong Phine on the same east-west road as Tchepone. Yesterday, Communist forces were advancing in northern Luang Prabang province, where they captured the village of Na Mo. This northwest of Muong Sai, which fell to the Reds last week. The partial cease fire went into effect yesterday near Vang Vieng on the road to Luang Prabang, and talks were scheduled today to try to extend this to other areas as well as to seek a political agreement. OTHER DEVELOPMENTS —In Washington, President Kennedy scheduled another meeting with the National Security Council on the Laotian crisis. Democratic congressional leaders said the President has not "written off" Laos. WASHINGTON — (UPI) — Democratic Congressional leaders said at the White House today that President Kennedy has not "written off" Laos. Washington Meeting on Laos After a conference with Kennedy, they expressed confidence that the President would come up with the right decision for coping with the Southeast Asia crisis. They met with Kennedy at a breakfast session as the United States considered asking that United Nations observers be sent to Laos. It also considered asking SEATO military action. A final U. S. decision on Laos awaited the unfolding of events there and further consultation with America's allies. Kennedy summoned his National Security Council for another meeting, the fifth in 11 days. The United States was reported still considering possible United Nations or SEATO action. —In Manila, highly authoritative sources said that Philippine gov- (Continued on page 8) Charles Jacques Sterling, curator of paintings of the Louvre Museum at Paris, will deliver a Humanities lecture at 8 p.m. tonight in Fraser Theater. Sterling to Deliver Humanities Lecture The title of his speech is "French 17th Century Baroque Painting." The talk will be illustrated. Following the lecture a reception in honor of Mr. Sterling will be held in the main gallery of the Museum of Art. Everyone interested is invited to attend. Education Aid Bill Moves Up WASHINGTON — (UPI) — A Senate Education Subcommittee today approved, 8-1, President Kennedy's controversial $2.3 billion program of federal aid to public elementary and high schools. Sen. Barry Goldwater, R-Ariz., the lone subcommittee member to vote against the bill, served notice he would offer an amendment to provide federal grants for parochial schools when the measure is taken up in full committee. CHAIRMAN WAYNE Morris, D-Ore., told reporters after the break-up of a three-hour closed session that he hoped the full committee could meet and act on the bill this week. The group gave the new chief executive all that he asked for in approving the main portion of the bill — a three-year program of federal grants to states for teachers salaries and classroom construction. The subcommittee also voted to extend for three years the existing program of federal aid to impacted areas at its present level. Kennedy wanted funds for this cut in half. Under this plan, funds would be allotted to the states on a formula basis taking into account pupil population and wealth of the state. FIRST YEAR federal costs would be $666 million, second year $766 million, and third year costs $866 million, adding up to a total of about $2.298 billion. The three-year extension of the present program for impacted areas provides federal assistance for districts where the student population is swollen by children whose parents work at federal installations, such as military bases It is estimated the impacted areas program will cost about $310 million in the next year, and more in the next two years, depending on future enrollments. FORMER PRESIDENT Dwight D Eisenhower twice asked that this program be cut back and twice failed to get Congress to go along. Kennedy renewed the request and got the same results from the sub-committee. Honors Show Tops AWS Day Ann Landers, left, receives a bronze jayhawk from Barbara Gerlash, Tarkio, Mo., junior, chairman of the All Women's Day committee, at the honors program in Hoch. Landers Tells Column Value The speaker stood up, smoothed the wrinkles out of her black satin, low-cut dress and began to speak: "My column is the couch of the printed page," she said. "In a time like this when it is fashionable to lie down and talk things out, such an advice column gives people a chance to cry on an understanding shoulder instead of going to a high-priced psychiatrist." Miss Landers used the entire time of her speech to elaborate on her column, tell how her column works, and how it provides, in her opinion, a great service to a confused, frustrated nation. THE SPEAKER was Ann Landers, the Chicago advice columnist, who spoke at the Associated Women Students Honors Night program last night in Hoch Auditorium. The main floor of Hoch Auditorium was nearly filled. About 200 Lawrence women and an occasional man dotted the audience of university women. The crowd reaction varied from restlessness to laughter as Mrs. Landers delivered her speech. Publisher New Regent Miss Landers said letters she has received indicate the biggest problem in America today was not nuclear warfare, cancer, the Russians, or plane crashes, but that caused by family troubles. Reed Says Expansion Big Problem Clyde M. Reed, Jr., 46, newly-appointed member of the Kansas Board of Regents, said today that he believed the major problem facing Kansas universities is that of expansion. "KU is not different from any other college in the state," he said. "They are all faced with crowded conditions and the attempt to build adequate facilities." MR. REED said in a telephone interview that he favored the new building program recently passed by the legislature. The 1961 legislature approved a crash building program for the five state-supported schools. Money to finance the program comes from a temporary suspension of the mill levy for state mental institutions. Mr. Reed, who could not be contacted at his home in Parsons, was in Hutchinson, attending the funeral of H. S. Walker, his father-in-law. Mr. Reed said he had not yet beer able to formulate any specific programs he would like to see acted upon by the Board of Regents, but that time would tell. "I WILL SUPPORT the new accelerated building program," he said. "I feel it is a step forward in alleviating the crowded conditions." 'THERE IS NOTHING particular in my mind for the Board at present," he said. "We'll just wait and see what develops during the next few years." He was the Republican nominee for governor in 1958, losing to George Docking. Mr. Reed is a 1937 graduate of KU and served as president of the KU Alumni Assn. in 1956. MR. REED'S TERM will run until Dec. 31, 1964. He succeeds Frank Groves of Arkansas City. Mr. Groves was appointed by Gov George Docking, but the Senate declined to confirm his appointment. "Talk to your husband, even if you argue violently with him" she said. "An argument is better than all those feelings and emotions stored inside with an ulcer as the result." "WOMEN ARE WORRIED about their husbands," she said, "men are worried about their wives and they both are worried about their children. Then they all worry about pushy relatives, growing old and even becoming alcoholics." Mr. Reed is editor and publisher of the Parsons Sun. THE LACK of communication in American marriages today is causing more and more unions to end up in the divorce court she said. Two Named Top Seniors Kathy Haughey, Billings, Mont, and Sara Clawson, Hartford, were named the outstanding senior women and were presented the American Assn. of University Women award last night. Other honors were announced at the Associated Women Students Honors Night program. Mortar Board members were announced and Emily Taylor, dean of women, was given an honorary membership. The voting by the senior women for one outstanding woman in that class ended in an eight way tie. Miss Haughey and Miss Clausen were chosen by an AAUW committee. The other six were Dorothy Trickett D'Anna, Ann Hoopinger-ner, Dorothy Lynch, Mary McCammon, Mary Carol Stephenson and Carolyn Caskey. JUDY NININGER, Hutchinson junior, and Mary Nan Scamman, Tarkio, Mo., sophomore, were named the winners of the AWS Memorial Scholarship award. This award, amounting to tuition for both semesters next year, is given in memory of those women who have died while attending KU. The new members are: Marcia Casey, Diane Kay Coen. Leslie Gail Cover, Linda Fetting, Joan French, Barbara Gerlash, Karlene Howell. Suzy Mary Hughes McCue, Carol Sie McMillen. Patricia Ain Monseth, Judith Diane Ninginer, Carolyn Onties, Carlo Ott, Lois Ann Ragstadle, Yay Sponable, Sharon Hammersley, Elinor Sarah, Sarah Walker- and Jann Wright. The CWENS, sophomore women's hon- ory organization, were also announced. They were invited to the conference. Sandra Sue Bornholm, Linda Kay Cash, Susan Jane Cole, Betty Ellen Dwyer, Margaree Elizabeth Elizabeth Ed- dard, Joel Louise Louise Finlayson, Pinet Ploet, Sally Hamilton Foote. Hilda Margaret Gibson, Donna Jean Gould, Mary Gayle Graham, Lesley Ann Kendall, Louise DeRosa, Kendall, Lavetta, Ann Leffler, Ethel Jeanne Maxwell, Karen Wes McCarty, Gretchen Kay Miller, Mary Lee Molden, Susan Janet Murphy, Martha Lillian Nunn, Lisa O'Reilly (Continued on page 8) Astronaut Ready, Space Shot Sacked CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — (UPI)—The United States today postponed its first attempt to put a man in space for at least 48 hours rather than hazard "Prime Astronaut" Alan B. Shepard Jr.'s life by climbing into a cloudy sky. The decision to "serub" the shot, originally scheduled for 7 a.m. CST, came at 7:35 a.m. after Shepard had received his final physical examinations and had toiled into his zippered silvery spacesuit. THE NATIONAL AERONAUTICS and Space Administration (NASA) for safety reasons had laid down minimum "weather rules" for both the Cape and the recovery area down range in the Atlantic. When it became evident that a persistent overcast was not going to clear up by noon, the deadline for a shot today, officials calmly canceled the launching until Thursday. Weather men said the outlook for Thursday was good. Shepard, 37-year-old Navy Commander from East Derry, N.H., went back to crew quarters in NASA's big mercury hangar to wait out the next two days. Squally weather which set in yesterday drenched the Cape from time to time in today's early hours, frequently interrupting the final 390- minute countdown with "holds." FORECASTERS HAD hoped the skies would clear during the forenoon, but at 7 a.m. CST the outlook was so gloomy that they warned Mercury officials conditions looked homeless. Shepard a calm, philosophical fellow with a crewcut and confident outlook, was still the No. 1 astronaut for the next attempt on Thursday. His "backup," ready to go if anything should happen to disqualify Shepard, is Marine Lt. Col. John H. Glenn Jr. 39-year-old combat and speed flier from New Concord, Ohio. --- UPI REPORTS FROM Derry, N. H. say the parents of Shepard Jr. said today they were prepared for 48 hours of "twiddling our thunbs." Shepard Sr. admitted even before the postponement that he was "a little nervous." Weather Partly cloudy tonight and to-morrow. Scattered thunderstorms likely tomorrow. Not so cool tonight with the low being in middle 40s. High tomorrow 65 to 70.