Castro's MIGS Battle Rebels Rv United Press International By United Press International Premier Fidel Castro hurled Communist-built Mig jet planes and tanks at invading rebel troops today in an all-out attempt to drive them back into the sea from their widening beachhead, rebel sources reported. A SPOKESMAN for the invading forces in Southern Cuba said they were "under extremely heavy attack" by the Migs and tanks at midday. The report was received shortly after rebel headquarters announced that an airlift had been established into the invasion area. This was now in danger. The exile source said he could not tell exactly how many Migs were involved, but said that "at least seven separate Mig aircraft have been identified." Mig fighters had never before been reported operating so close to American shores although their presence in Cuba has been frequently rumored. THE SPOKESMAN added that many Soviet-type tanks also were in the attack, although he had no immediate word as to their number. Both the planes and the tanks are Soviet types believed supplied by Czechoslovakia. The rebel exile spokesman said earlier that the invaders had seized an air strip and were flying in and out of the beachhead area in Cochinos Bay. The rebels had only propeller- driven aircraft and the appearance of the Communist Migs posed a major threat to their supply efforts. An exile spokesman said flatly that liberation troops in Las Villas and Oriente Provinces "are firmly established and being supplied." TWENTY-FOUR HOURS after the invaders dashed ashore in Lai Villas Province, Premier Fidel Castro proclaimed over an emergency national radio hookup that his forces were "fighting valiantly." He said details would be disclosed later on new "successes obtained by the Army." A roundup was ordered of Cubans whose loyalty to Castro is suspect. Castro has repeatedly boasted, i Daily hansan 58th Year. No 122 LAWRENCE, KANSAS World Reacts With Riots, Aid Threats By United Press International UNITED NATIONS — Ecuador voicing the first official Latin American reaction to the invasion of Cuba, today hailed President Kennedy's declaration of neutrality. But it suggested it should be definitely established that the invaders did not come from U.S. territory. Ambassador Leopoldo Benites emphasized that he was not authorized to make any proposals on behalf of his government. But his attitude was indicative of that of other Latin American delegations which had dropped their effort to draft a resolution conciliatory to both the United States and Cuba. U. S. Ambassador Adlai E. Stevenson indicated that Kennedy would reply today to Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev's appeal to put an end to the Cuban invasion. He told the general assembly's main political committee he hoped to read the President's reply to it this afternoon. Yugoslavia Ambassador Miso Pavicevic said the U.S. "refusal to accept the changes in Cuba or to adapt to them . . . cannot be accepted by those states which wish to develop and progress." Moscow - MOSCOW — A mob of 2,000 students smashed windows in the U.S. embassy and battled police and soldiers on the streets outside. Tuesday, April 18, 1961 Tass announced that Khrushchev cabled Kennedy to "put an end to the aggression against the Republic of Cuba" shortly after an official Soviet government statement accused the United States of preparing and starting the invasion. Both Khrushchev's message and the Soviet statement coupled appeals to Kennedy to act quickly with warnings of possible Russian aid to Castro. More than 350 police and soldiers were dispatched to the U.S. embassy in Moscow to handle the demonstrators, mostly Russians. Forewarned embassy personnel had locked all doors and windows and sent women and children to the upper floors for safety. A SHOUT OF "Hurrah for Cuba" (Continued from page 1) 'Focus on Cuba' Featured in UDK Today's UDK features a background on the Cuban people, the revolution and critique of the critics of both in the editorial "Focus on Cuba" on pages 2 and 3 Protect Americans JFK Tells Cuba WASHINGTON — (UPI)— The State Department today said it has sent a special message to the Cuban Government demanding protection of American citizens caught in the fighting there. The Castro government was "reminded" that "we expect the Cuban Government to take every appropriate protective measure." State Department spokesman Lincoln White said he had no reports yet of injury to Americans or damage to their property. There are an estimated 200 to 300 U. S. citizens in Cuba and perhaps 800 or 900 more who have lived there many years. television and other speeches during the past eight months, of his regime's powerful supply of modern arms and equipment. Fair and warmer tonight. Tomorrow partly cloudy and mild. Lows tonight lower to middle 40s. Highs tomorrow in 70s. Weather In one speech last year he flatly declared that Cuba had more fire power than was used in the Korean War. UNCONFIRMED,but insistent reports,have also said he has small or medium size rockets. Last year the U.S.State Department estimated Castro's military equipment and arms at about ten times the supply Batista had. Czech technicians have been in Cuba for several months. The exile source said that although it was not possible to tell definitely the number of Migs involved in the air blow, "at least seven separate Mig aircraft have been identified." HE SAID that the attacking aircraft also included three U.S. built T3J trainer planes converted for fighter use. These had been supplied to Cuba before Castro came to power. The spokesman said he had no immediate word on how many tanks were in action. Earlier, the Public Works Ministry had been heard broadcasting a call from Havana for heavy trucks capable of moving tanks into position. The exile source said that in the Las Villas area there were two points where consolidation was under way. He declined to elaborate on this. THE PRICIPAL movement, he said, has been a spread of troops fanning out from Jaguey Grande, where he said more than 100 of Premier Castro's militiamen were killed yesterday. When asked for the direction of the movement, the rebel source said. Havana Quiet TORONTO — (UPI)—The Toronto Star got through by telephone to Canadian Ambassador Allan Anderson last night in one of the first outside contacts to Havana since the invasion. Anderson said he and his staff had seen no overt signs that Cubans in Havana are going over to the side of the rebels. And he said he had seen no signs of fighting in Havana. "you could describe is as the spokes of a wheel." The spokesman disclosed that the air strip was captured Monday, but said it could not be used earlier because no aviation gasoline was on hand. "Now they have fuel and they are flying in and out," he said. The spokesman said that "complete communications" have been established between liberation forces Bulletin MOSCOW — (UPI) — The Cuban ambassador to Moscow told a television audience tonight that five rebel bombers, including one American plane, have been shot down over Cuba. in Las Villas and Oriente Provinces with the secret Cuban Revolutionary Council general headquarters outside Cuba. THE COMMUNICATIONS network, he said, "is routed through a third country outside of the United States." Pressed to amplify the remark, he replied that "we are getting our news from our forces in Cuba through a (Continued on page 8) 29 Attempt To Kill Castro MIAMI — (UFI) — Radio Havana reported today that 20 men and 9 women have been arrested on charges of plotting to assassinate Premier Fidel Castro and other key government figures. The broadcast did not say when the suspects were seized, nor did it give details of the plot. It was not clear whether there had been an actual attempt to kill Castro, or if there was, when it occurred. THE BROADCAST said the group "received instructions and training from the Yankee intelligence department," presumably meaning the Central Intelligence Agency. Among those arrested was Humberto Sori Marin, former agriculture minister and legal expert for the Castro regime. Sori was reported in house arrest in December. Recently he was said to have been wounded "while resisting arrest." ANOTHER OF those arrested was Eufemio Fernandez, secret service chief under ex-President Ramon Grau San Martin and a well-known leader of the resistance to ousted ex-President Fulgencio Batista. The broadcast said the alleged plotters planned acts of sabotage as well as the murder of Castro and various members of his cabinet. Centennial Group Okays Car Traffic Modern four-wheeled carriages will be the only touch of the 20th century retained in this week's KU centennial celebration. Jay Richardson, Bartlesville, Okla., senior and student centennial committee chairman, said today that plans to ban car traffic on the campus have been dropped. BARBECUE dinners will be available for spectators at the Kansas Relays Saturday morning. Barbershop quartets, square dancers and a western band will entertain spectators while they dine western-style from a chuck wagon to be set up south of the Memorial Stadium. - A bank robbery will be staged tomorrow. - All students are required to wear Western clothes Thursday and Fridav. - A free square dance will be at 7 p.m. Friday at the Memorial Stadium parking lot west of the Kansas Union. - Centennial week activities: - Kansas Relays Dance will be at 9 p.m. Saturday in the Ballroom of the Kansas Union. ● Horse-drawn trolly will operate from Lewis Hall to the Chi Omega fountain tomorrow. INTERVIEWS conducted by the Daily Kansan revealed that some students are reluctant to don western duds Thursday and Friday. Others liked the idea. John Wester, Shawnee Mission sephomore said, "I like the spirit of the celebration, but I don't care to buy a western outfit for just two days use. Richard K. Richardson, Wichita freshman said, "I think that reminiscing about forefathers and founders of this state is a good thing. "As far as a costume goes, I've been looking around but I can't find the right clothes." Charles B. Lee, Kansas City, Missouri freshman said, "I think it's all rather ridiculous." STEPHEN PETERS, Merriam freshman, said, "I think it's a pretty good idea, but I'll be darned if I know what I'll wear." Mary Lou Bitner, Kansas City freshman said, "I don't have the time to be bothered with it." Sandra S. Smik, Overland Park freshman, said. "For those who have costumes it will be fun and I will enjoy watching them. I don't think, however, that we should be penalized if we can't get costumes. HUNK OF BEEF?—Cookies from the range will take orders Saturday for barbecue beef dinners near the Relays competition. This is one of the Centennial activities.