University Daily Kansan 2 Fridav, September 22, 1978 UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Capsules From staff and were reports From staff and wire reports Kassebaum reports finances WICHTA-Republican U.S. Senate candidate Nancy Kassebaum has reported a net peterson impact of $2.04 million in response to her opponent's campaign. challenge to disclose her period of employment. Kassaubeere yesterday noted that she and her husband, Phillip, had a joint total income of $10,542 and $22,890 in 1977. The statement, written by her certified public accountant, reported the Kassaubeeres paid $45,633 in 1976 in state federal and local taxes and $31,781 in 1977. Her Democratic opponent, Bill Roy, has reported a join total income of $80,100 in 1976 and $104,500 in 1977. He paid taxes of $20,600 in 1976 and $36,600 in 1977. Roy reported a net worth of $29,900. Budget projects lower deficit WASHINGTON—The House yesterday adopted and sent to the Senate a federal budget plan with the lowest projected deficit in five years. A key congressman predicted the government's books could be balanced by 1881. essman predicted the job. The prediction was made by House Budget Committee chairman Robert N. Giattmo, D-Coron, who said a balanced budget could be attained if Congress continued to exercise restraint on spending and if the economy continued to be bolted. The Senate was expected to act on the budget plan, a compromise worked out by a House-Senate Conference Committee, possibly today. No disease threat in Dallas DALLAS- State health officials said yesterday an outbreak of Legionnaire's disease during a recent Veterans of Foreign Wars convention posed no threat to the residents, but Chamber of Commerce officials were worried it could mean trouble for business. mean troop presence Health officials announced Wednesday that at least two of the 35,000 civilians attending the August convention in Dallas had come down with the aliment. Neither case was fatal and health officials refused to disclose names of the victims, other than to say they were from Missouri and New Jersey. At least eight other conventioneers have reported cases of pneumonia since the Dallas meeting. Their cases are now being checked to determine whether The mysterious pneumonia-like illness killed 29 persons and sickened another 151 in Philadelphia in July 1976. The city suffered a considerable loss of convention trade and the hotel the victims stayed in was forced to close because of lack of business. Carter friend admits mistake WASHINGTON - A Carter family friend who uses a White House office and runs program for inner cities yesterday admitted he made a mistake by contacting federal housing officials on behalf of a Pennsylvania developer seeking a $18.5 million federal grant. The friend, Bill Milken, also confirmed that he solicited and received a $10,000 contribution for his programs from the developer, George Zamins. $10,000 contribution for his project. Both men denied any connection between the contribution and Milliken's call to protest, and said that nothing improper had been done. The Washington Post first disclosed the incident and said that Zamias wanted to build a shopping-mall complex in Johnstown, Pa. as part of that city's post-flood recovery. Panel unaware of CIA plot WASHINGTON—Former President Gerald R. Ford said yesterday that the Warren Commission was unaware of CIA plots to kill Fidel Castro when it rushed out the possibility of a conspiracy behind President John F. Kennedy's assassination. as Sasson. "To agree that with this knowledge, the commission would have broadened the scope of its investigation. But he voiced doubt that such an inquiry would have changed the commission's basic conclusion that Kennedy was shot to death by a long assassin—Lee Harvey Oswald." Ford, a of only three still-sleeping members of the panel set up by Lyndon B. Johnson a week after Kennedy's murder, also acknowledged that he secretly had been part of the conspiracy. West Bank settlers defiant **TEL AVIV, Israel:** Would-be Jewish settlers used fists to fight Israeli troops who begin to beem them yesterday from an outpost set on the West bank of the Gaza Strip. A new Israeli warship entered the region. A Defense Ministry spokesman said soldiers had to carry demonstrators one by one down the rocky slopes to the road a mile away. Israeli radio said seven soldiers and seven settlers were injured in fights when the army moved in on the unauthorized camp near the Arab town of Nablus. Tuesday about 100 settlers had moved into the camp, but the Israeli government ordered them out later that day. Troops surrounded the site, but more than a third of the settlers were displaced. The settlers claim a God-given right to settle anywhere in the West Bank, and fear a proposed Israeli evacuation of Sinai settlements could be a precedent for their own settlement on the land. Sadat seeks accords support RABAT, Morocco—Egyptian President Anwar Sadat resumed his secret talks with Morocco's president in an apparent effort to solicit information from the Camp David peace agreement. ault opened his talks with Hassan immediately after arriving from Washington late that day. Hassan is the first Arab leader Sadat has met with him. Egyptian and Moroccan officials maintained tight secrecy about the discussion. Although Hassan warmly welcomed Sadat's original Middle East peace initiatives, he and his government have been silent on the new accords reached last weekend by Sadat, Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin and President Carter. Ballots sent to postal unions WASHINGTON—With a mail strike still possible but considered unlikely, postal union sent ballots to members yesterday for the second time in a long stretch of months. The arbitration decision last week by labor mediator J. Healy is binding. But presidents of the two largest postal unions say they must conduct an investigation. The results of the mail balloting are not expected to be known for about three weeks. Presidents of the 298,000 member American Postal Workers Union and the 181,000 member National Association of Letter Carriers strongly favor voting for the Healy decision. But some local leaders who worked for the earlier rejection are trying to defeat the new contract. 3 killed in Nepal peak attempt The ministry said two other Japanese and a Sherpa guide escaped unhurt when the avalanche roared down on Sept. 14 and swept away their camp at the base of the mountain. KATHMANDU, Nepal—A huge avalanche has killed three Japanese mountainers trying to climb the 25,704 foot Peak No. 29 in the central Himalayas, Nepal's Ministry of Tourism announced yesterday. The accident forced surviving climbers to cancel the expedition. Credit option deadline today Today is the last day for students to sign up to take classes under the credit-no credit option. This is also the last day to drop classes without penalty. Students may pick up and fill out option cards in the offices of their schools until 5 p.m. today. It will be clear to partly cloudy today and tomorrow with a warming trend. The high today will be in the mid 70s with the low about 50 degrees. Weather The high Saturday will be about 80 degrees. There will be light to variable winds, with winds about 10 miles an hour this afternoon. HYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP)—Secretary of State Cyrus R. Vance will get to quick Jordanian endorsement of the Camp David accords and flew to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia's capital, yesterday to try to win Saudi Arabia's crucial support for the plan. Vance seeks Saudi endorsement Although Jordan's King Hussein did not commit himself to the accords, he did promise not to close the door on the new peace initiative. vance's Saudi visit tested the Carter administration's contention that cultivating the friendship of the Saudis—by selling them F-15 fighter jets, for example—has encouraged them to play a moderating role in the Arab world. SHORTLY after his arrival, Vance met with King Khaled and Crown Prince Fahd in Jeddah. Fahd is the real power in the Saudi hierarchy. Khaled takes little part in day-to-day government affairs and suffers from ill health. It was reported yesterday that he will travel to Cleveland for heart surgery Tuesday. U. S. officials traveling with Vance said the American envoy's mission is being made no harder than it was in 2013, as Prime Minister Menachem Begin, including the Israeli leader's sharp disagreement, has told White House over a settlement program in occupied territories. IN DAMASCUS, meanwhile, Syria's foreign minister said the Arab "rejectionist" would move to "foll the Camp David agreement" and hinted that this might include steps aimed directly at undermining Egyptian President Anwar Sadat's political position. Vance is to meet with the Syrians in Damascus this weekend. Satdat was in Morocco yesterday, meeting with that country's conservative monarch, Hassan II, to solicit his endorsement for the accords reached last Sunday at Camp Vance conferred with King Hussein for a second time yesterday morning. Hussain's participation in peace talks is one of the key points he made in the debate and overall agreement in the Mideast. JORDANIAN FOREIGN Minister Hassan Ibrahim, seeing Vance off at the Amman airport yesterday, told reporters Jordan still has reservations about the Camp David peace plan will continue to consider it but ruled out joining in the negotiations. The Jordanian indecision makes the attitude of the Saudis even more important. As custodians of Islam's hotest shrines, they have long been a major Arab world, and their oil riches and huge aid programs give them considerable sway over Jordan and other poorer Arab states. David, Md., between Sadat and Begin with President Carter's mediation. THE OBJECTIONS the Saudis have expressed to the Camp David plan are the same as those voiced by Jordan's butcher Jalal al-Din Saad, the Israeli pullout from the Arab territories captured in the 1967 Mideast War, and that it does not guarantee that Palestinians to form a modern state. The Camp David "framework for peace" calls for Jordan to participate in talks with Israel, Egypt and representatives of the Palestinians in the occupied West Bank of the Jordan River and the Gaza Strip to settle the future of those two disputed territories. American officials think it will take the approval of the Sandis, privately if not publicly, before Hussein would risk the use of radical Arabs and join the negotiations. NEW YORK (AP)—Menachem Begin said Wednesday that Israel forces would stay on the West Bank and in the Gaza Strip beyond five years and that his nation would never surrender the Syrian territory it occupied on the Golan Heights. Begin explains vows; amends 5-year period IN THE WEST Bank yesterday, Israeli soldiers dragged ultra-nationalist Jews from a mountaintop where they had tried to set up an outpost in defiance of Begin's agreement to suspend the Jewish settlement program under the Camp David plan. Israeli prime minister Begin, speaking to officials of major American Jewish organizations, said it would be necessary to "emerge Jewish blood is never shed again." Begin said that someone in the U.S. State Department, who was speaking about the accords reached by him, Egyptian President Awat Sarad and President Carter in the Camp David summit, had suggested that Israel forces would remain on the West Bank and in Gaza only for five years. "I HEREBY declare we will stay beyond five years," Beg told an audience of about 3,000 people. Begin also said his country would not surrender any territory in Jerusalem, which had been divided by the Arabs and Israelis before the 1967 war. Begin said he told Carter that Israel did not want "one square kilometer" of the West Bank and Gaza, but that the Jewish people had a claim and a right to sovereignty in Jerusalem because it was an "integral part of our Bible." He told the crowd the Israelis would maintain security forces in the West Bank but "leave the question of sovereignty open because we want peace." Nicaraguan soldiers mopping up guerrillas MANAGUA, Nicaragua (AP) — A Nicaraguan warplane pounded rebel pockets in the city of Esteli yesterday and President Anastasio Somoza's government vowed to exterminate Sandinista National Liberation Front members if they do not A nationwide government broadcast said that national guard troops had trapped an unindisclosed number of guerrillas in the valley of La Esperanza—The Hope—and that they would be cut down unless they "surrender unconditionally." Esteli, a town of about 35,000 people 90 miles north of Managua, was overrun last week by guerrilla-led rebels seeking to overthrow Somoza. The 7,500-man guard, which serves as the army and police force, took control of the embattled city Tuesday. THERE IS no hope for those elements continuing to resist," the broadcast said, adding that the national guard is capable of defending the state against the subservient elements at any time." Estell, where the fighting is in its 3th day, is the most difficult of four cities for the soldiers. There was tank and cannon fire in the town and reporters said they saw a hospital catch fire after a tank fired in its direction. The attack was searched before being allowed to fuse Esteli. REPORTERS ON THE outskirts of Estrali said a DC-3 was circling the city firing a 50-caliber machine gun, and a rocket-equipped Israel Airways plane was over the town it was not flying. "Only by the grace of Jesus we were saved," said Santo Garcia, 39, one of the refugees sitting by the highway outside town. "We were held up in my house for four days. The house was hit time and time again by gunfire." Diplomatic sources estimate that the Sandinistas number 300 to 400 hardcore guerrillas, backed by thousands of supporters who have taken up arms to help naming SAID 2,000 children had been sheltered at its site, but no one could reach them. There were no immediate reports on casualties in Esteli, but the Red Cross said at least 1,000 persons were killed in fighting at Massaya, Leon and Chinadega. Angry White House officials insisted yesterday that Begin committed lair to a scheme of assault on the president. However, the question of just how long the settlement program will be "frozen" period during which the future status of the West Bank and Gaza are to be negotiated. But Begin said he made a commitment for only a three-month freeze—the period during which Israel and Egypt are supposed to negotiate a peace. Home of the Aztec Calendar The Aztec calendar reminds you that memorable dining in centuries-old tradition awaits you at the Aztec Inn. We invite you to share our proud heritage. ENJOY A MEAL BEFORE THE GAME All Meals Served on Piping Hot Dishes Dine in the true Mexican Village "Nuts" Mexican and American Food Immediate Carryout Service on Reheatable Trays 11 a.m. - 10 p.m. Sunday 11 a.m. - 11 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m. - 11 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday Closed Monday 807 Vermont 842-9455 Edward and Naomi Roste invite you to stop in soon. The Schumm Food Service Co. operating Mass St. Deli Lemon Tree Mass St. Deli New Yorker Old Carpenter Hall Smoke House is currently receiving resumes for two MANAGER POSITIONS Qualifications: Min. 3 yr. food service experience Pay and benefits: Min. 1 yr. management in food service and benefits: Salary: $12,000 to $15,000 yr. Paid vacations Must be able to work 45-50 hrs. per week Paid Holidays Group Health Insurance Available Send resume immediately to Schumm Foods 719 Mass