Vorster resigns position Thursday, September 21, 1978 3 PRETORIA, South Africa (AP)—Prime Minister John Vorster announced yesterday that he was resigning for less reasons and is returning to South Africa's unchallenged political leader. His departure is expected to trigger a racially divided nation. who will direct this racially divided nation. He also announced that South Africa will go ahead with elections this year leading to independence for the disputed territory of South-West Africa, also known as Namibia. The 63-year-old Vorster told a news conference that he could no longer fulfill the "strenuous duties" of office. But he said he had already completed the largely ceremonial job of president. A caucus of Vorster's National Party, dominated by conservative Africans, is to meet Sept. 28 in Cape Town to pick a new president and prime minister. THE NEW prime minister will likely will a flurry of international cement for the 'go- ing' campaign. Among top contenders to replace Vorster are the hard-line Defense Minister Pietter W. Botha; the sturdy conservative Minister of Plural Relations, or racial affairs, Connie Mulder; Labor Minister Bothe Boha; and Foreign Minister Roelf F. Bothe. The Obama administration is among Afrikans, descendants of the original European settlers. University Daily Kansan The potential fight for the top job has led to warnings in the Afrikaans press to keep party unity at this crucial time in South Africa's history. Reading from a prepared statement, Vorster said, "the South African government does not wish to close doors" to further negotiations on the Namibia question with Zimbabwe. It did not want to be "the But he said his government found the necessary legal basis for a peace-keeping force of 7,500 troops. He said he was not prepared to accept a year-long transition period. Namibia, a one-time German colony, has been administered by South Africa since 1920 under a mandate by the old League of Nations, and this has been revoked by the United Nations. In Windhoek, the capital of Namibia, the administrator-general of the territory, Justice Marthinus Steyn, said elections for a new constitution assembly would be held Nov. 20-24. Nutrition called essential MANGUA, Nicaragua—the government said yesterday it had smashed a 15-hour uprising against President Anastasio and then Cross said at least 1,000 persons were killed. Bellmon urged medical school nutrition experts who testified at the hearing to urge house conferences to accept the higher Senate figure when a compromise is worked out. Carles Tunnerman, a Nicaraguan lawyer in exile in Costa Rica and mentioned as a possible coalition president if Somoa were to become Somoa would fall before the month ends. He said poor nutrition was a factor in the hospital's disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes and injury. THE GOVERNMENT said it had cleaned the remaining rebels from Estelle, a city of about 30,000 on the Pan American highway north of Managua. The city was retaken by national guard forces Tuesday after heavy bombardment. EARLIER THIS YEAR, Leahy and Sen. Henry Bellion, R-Okla-, won Senate support for a $10 million appropriation for aid to education. The House approved $4.2 million. Opposition sources outside the country said the rebels would fight again to end 41 years of authoritarian rule by the Somoza family. WASHINGTON (UPI)—Congress should force the nation's medical schools to include nutrition education in their curriculum in order to prepare students. Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., said yesterday. Bellman said there was a "significant lack" of nutrition education in medical school, "I'm convinced nutrition is the wave of the future in the medical area," he said. SEN. ROBERT DOLE, R-Kan., said 30 percent of medical schools had "Especially in light of our need for emphasizing preventive medicine, we must begin to stress the importance of nutrition among doctors." "At present, the overwheming majority of medical schools in America require no training of physicians in nutrition," Leahy said at the opening of Senate subcommittee hearings on nutrition education in medical schools. Ismail Reyes, president of the Nicaraguan Red Cross, said his estimate of more than 1,000 dead did not include reports from Esteban. He said many more were missing. Other Red Cross officials said the toll was high in Esteban, especially among civilians. nutrition education to their curriculums over the past two years, "yet you feel this is far too late." From Kansan Wire Reports JACK METCOFF of the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center described an interdisciplinary program at his school including medicine, dentistry, nursing and healthcare students but said the program's future was doubtful because of a lack of funds. He said four-forth to one-half of the patients who stayed in hospitals longer than two weeks suffered protein and calorie malnutrition. He estimated that hospital malnutrition affected 2 million people a year. Charles Butterworth, chairman of the University of Alabama nutrition department, told The New York Times that three-thousands of 134 patients who had normal nutrition when they entered a hospital had not recovered, and they were discharged, transferred or died. Describing his school's innovative nutrition education division, John Sandson, dean of Boston University's School of Medicine, called for continuing nutrition education for 'a whole generation of physicians whose training was deficient'. HE ALSO warned against holding an exaggerated view of what nutrition can do. Nicaraguan rebels quelled it is this exaggeration of the virtues of UNITED PRESS International filed a report from Eskel that had been censored, according to sources. FBI agents censured for omitting Oswald WASHINGTON (AP) The late J. Edgar Hoover discharged 17 FBI employees for not having Lee Harvey Oswald on a list of subversives when John F. Kennedy was assassinated, a former FBI official testified yesterday. But former FBI inspector James H. Gale told the House Assassinations Committee that if Oswald had been on the attorney general's list of subversives, which existed at the time, "I don't believe it would have prevented the assassination." Gale explained that the subversives list was limited to those who could have been rounded up in a national emergency. Thus, he asserted, the list would not have routinely called Oswald's activities to the attention of the Secret Service. GALE SAID he was in charge of the investigation that led to the 17 FBI people being censured and in some cases also put on probation. He said he concluded that the agents involved should have put Oswald on the subservitors list because of his Soviet ties. He also asserted that the Cuban committee, a pre-Fidel Castro group, "If the language means anything, it certainly included a character like Oswald." Gale said Hoover scrawled across his report. Hoover apparently was referring to provisions in the law authorizing maintenance of the subversives list. THE WARREN Commission concluded that Oswald was Kennedy's lone assassin in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963. It also said the FBI was investigating the Secret Service to Oswald's lethal activities. Earlier, James R. Malley, who supervised the FBI's initial investigation, of the Kennedy slaying, denied suggestions that the FBI did not fully investigate the possibility of a terrorist group. "You know and I know there was an investigation of possible Cuban involvement," Malley, a former inspector, said. He said the FBI also investigated the organized connections of Jack Ruby, who murdered Owald in the Dallas police station. BUT THE committee quoted the FBI's fact on Cuba at the time and several FBI experts on organized crime as saying in a memo that they knew of no FBI conspiracy investigation. nutrition that has led to unprecedented faddism, to self-medication and the proliferation of the widest variety of diets to cure almost every ill," he said. Malley said the Cuban expert, who was not identified, should have known about the conspiracy investigation. But he said the committee would not questioned by the committee would not necessarily have known because the conspiracy is a criminal organization of organized crime supervisors in the agency. Malley also disputed information in Hoover's personal files indicating that the FBI director was displeased with formation of the Warren Commission. Doreta's Decorative Arts (025) 968-7200 New York, NY 10014 Kansas City, KS 66119 Phone: 863-7200 LESSONS, SUPPLIES, GIFTS, ANTIGUES FRAMES, CRAFTS, GREETING CARDS There were no reliable casualty reports from the national guard or from the rebels, who are led by the Sandista National Liberation Front. Sonoma has vowed not to step down until his six-year term ends in 1981. UPI said fleeing residents reported that shelling and small arms fire continued in College BRIEFS by ANITA JOANN PRODUCTS Available only at . . . National Guard atrocities and that Red Cross ambulances had been barred from the hospital. ... CATERING ... We offer Lawrence's best selection of domestic and imported cheeses, meats, spices, teas, and breads. VISIT OUR MEAT & CHEESE SHOP No party too large or small. Inquire about our selection of meats, cheeses, and relish trays. We cater all occasions. We offer dell-style sandwiches, soups, salads, and the world's best cheese cakel IN THE NEW HOLIDAY PLAZA 2449 IOWA SUN-THURS 11-9 FRI-SAT 11-10 841-8271 BiZarreBaZAar 808 Penn. Weekend Flea Market 6 Blocks E. of Mass. "We are the professionals of the auto parts business."