VOL. 101, NO.58 THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAS STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY TOPEKAY KS 66612 T THE STUDENT NET WSPAPER OF T THE UNIVERSITY OF KAKASAN WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 14, 1990 (USPS 650-640) ADVERTISING: 864-4358 NEWS: 864-4810 Richard Quinn/KANSAN Lynn DeMond, Leawed freshman, gives blood for a blood drive sponsored by the Pahenliclien Association, the All-Scholarship Hall Council and the Interfraternity Council. Ed Campelli, co-chairperson for the blood drive, said that the goal of the program, which takes place every semester, was to get 250 donors yesterday and 300 today. The gift of life Senators want Bush to convene Congress The Associated Press WASHINGTON — Key senators in both parties asked President Bush yesterday to convene an emergency session of Congress for what Republi- cism would be the most appropriate put-up vote on administration policies in the Persian Gulf. The White House quickly opposed the idea as unnecessary, and Senate Democratic Leader George Mitchell, too, showed little enthusiasm. But Mitchell said Senate hearings would be scheduled on the gulf crisis, probably in the fall, because "the American people deserve a full national debate." Presidential press secretary Martin Flitzwater, voicing administration opposition to a special congressional session, said simply, "There is no Mitchell, of Maine, said that a special session would be justified only if the president made a decision to go to war and that Bush's moves so far amounted only to throats — which he did without permission from Capitol Hill. The Democratic leader said the Senate Foreign Relations and Armed Services committees would conduct hearings on the nauf crisis soon. But Dole, of Kansas, said a special session was needed to gain the backing of Congress to bolster Bush's position. And despite Fitzwater's comments, he said the president had not ruled out such an idea The president last week announced a major buildup in the region to provide an offensive military option for use against Saddam Hussein and Iraq forces occupying Kuwait. U.S. forces expected to swell by 200,000 troops. "I think it's fairly accurate to say that there has been an erosion of support," Dole said. "We need to regain it." The requests for an emergency session reflected increasing concern among lawmakers of both parties about the prospect of war in the Persian Gulf where 230,000 American troops are part of an international force. Sen. Sam Nunn. D-Georgia, who heads the Senate Armed Services Committee, said, "Congress ought to speak on this subject." Dole and House GOP Leader Robert Michel of Illinois had lunch with Bush at the White House to discuss whether to call Congress back to vote on a new plan to stop war, although the resolution would not be worded that bluntly. Afterward, Michel sought to calm congressional fears. "The president is not itching for a fight, and he is not trigger happy." Michel said. "President Bush's escalation of the confrontation has put the country on a headlong course toward war with Iran," she added in a fair chance to work," he said. Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass, added his voice to those calling for a special session, but for a different reason — to approve a resolution barring offensive moves by the president. Big Red One has history of firsts See related coverage p.8 By Monica Mendoza When the 11,300 soldiers of 1st Infantry Division at Fort Kalley pull out this week and head for Saudi Arabia as expected, "no mission will be too difficult, no sacrifice too great and duty will come first." That is the motto of the famous "Big Red One" – the 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley. 15th Army Division at Fort Soley. Thursday, President Bush ordered more than 150,000 military personnel be added to the 230,000 U.S. troops already stationed in the gulf. Since then, soldiers of the 1st Infantry have been preparing for the first major deployment from Fort Riley since the Vietnam War, said Peter Duliniawka, community relations officer at Fort Riley. He said the average age of a soldier in the 1st Infantry Division was 70 years. The two combat battles involved about 5,000 soldiers. Monday about 400 Army reservists, who are not part of the 1st Infantry, were deployed to Saudi Arabia from Although soldiers from the 1st Infantry Division were not among the first units to leave for Saudi Arabia in August, historically they are known as the soldiers who are called upon first, Dulniawka said. Rapid deployment forces such as the 82nd Division at Port Browne were the first troops to leave for the gujuba junta. Rachel Zavacky, public affairs officer at Fort Riley, said the 1st Infantry Division was the first U.S. unit to go into action during World War II. "They were known as the Fighting I, who led troops into World War I." Zavayek said. "One of the officers cut out a big red '1' and sewed it on his uniform. The name has stuck with us." The division also was the first to be deployed in England and Germany during World War II. Zavacky The Big Red One was the first unit to move into Normandy on D-Day in 1944 and also captured Aachen, a city in Germany. The unit stayed in Germany as an occupational force, and in 1953 the 1st Infantry Division made Fort Hiley its base. Even after the war, the third brigade of Big Red One stayed in Germany. But not to fight. Capt. Jeffrey Wolf, assistant professor of military science, said the unit stayed for more humanitarian "They were caring and giving soldiers," Wolf said. "That is why they are stationed in Germany." Zavacky said the Big Red One continued to uphold its reputation when it was sent in 1965 to Vietnam, its first expedition. Wolf said that the soldiers themselves made the reputation of the 1st Infantry Division well known. "Some people do ask to be assigned to the first instrutre," he said. "They want to be part of an elite (fight) force." Regardless of the division's reputation, there are no special expectations placed on the soldiers of the 1st Infantry. "It is not necessary for them to be the cream of the crop," he said. "I'm certain the soldiers of the 1st Infantry will maintain the good reputation by taking care of themselves and the people around them." Budig withdraws from Nebraska job consideration By Yvonne Guzman Kansan staff writer Chancellor Gene A. Budig yesterday withdrew his name from a list of candidates being considered for the presidency of the University, and joined Dr. Werner, director of public affairs at Nebraska. Budigai said in a statement released yesterday, "I cannot leave until closure has been reached on a series of significant matters which will impact KU's long-term future." Budged cit campaign Kansas and the Margin of Excellence as two concerns that were keeping him at the University of Kansas. Campaign Kansas is the University's five-year, $177 million fund-raising drive. The The Margin of Excellence was the Board of Regents three-year plan to bring the total financing of its seven institutions to 95 percent of their peer schools and to bring the total financing to 100 percent of their peers. The Legislature invested the first two years but not the third. Nebraska officials announced Friday that Budig was one of four outside candidates for governor. "It is important that they be completed." Budie said of both programs. August 1989. Robert Allen, member of the Nebraska Board of Regents, said that he was sorry That afternoon, Budig released a statement that he had no plans to leave KU. Budig interviewed Monday with the Nebraska team in Kansas City, Mo., for more than two hours. "I am surprised and sad," she said. "But that okay. OK, please make different choices." Rosemary Skirmy, member of the Nebraska Board of Regents, said that Budd had made an excellent impression on the board and that he disappointed he withdrew from consideration. Budig withdrew his candidacy but that he was got surprised. "It's not uncommon for top-notch people to withdraw." he said. Allen said Budig was an attractive candidate because of Budig's work at KU, such as the academic progress the University had made in his research and his concern for faculty and students. Even though he knew that Budig was a highly sought-after administrator, Allen said he had hoped that the lure of returning to his home state would swair Budig. Budig was born in McCook, Neb. He earned a bachelor of science degree, master's degree and doctorate from Nebraska. He served as an administrator and a professor at UNBC. Budig has been chancellor of KU since 1981. The three remaining outside candidates for the presidency of Nebraska are Robert Dickson, president at the University of Northern Colorado; Martin Gischek, chancellor at the University of Missouri at atlanta; and Robert Koch, president at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. The board also interviewed Martin Messengale, chancellor at the University of Georgia. Senate committee plans diversity agenda Integrating cultural, ethnic and women's issues in Western Civ. courses discussed By Jennifer Schultz Korean staff writer The Student Senate minority affairs committee last night discussed the agenda it plans to present to KU officials. The agenda is aimed at integrating more culturally diverse views into KU curricula. Rick Piper, curriculum subcommittee co-chairperson, outlined the subcommittee's efforts to work on changes at the University of Kansas. Piper, who also is a Western Civilization graduate teaching assistant, said the subcommittee had sent the University's Western Civilization program committee a letter expressing Senate's interest in a potential merger with the Western Civilization curricula and formulate possible changes. We want to know what goes on in classes and what the students think. "The committee won't necessarily change anything, but it might," Piper said. “ curriculum subcommittee co-chairperson Rick Pipe — Rick Piper curriculum subcommittee co-chairman He said that the Senate curriculum subcommittee was working on a questionnaire to pass out to students in the Western Civilization program. "We want to know what goes on in classes and what the students think." Piper said. "We then will talk to them and make it available for use." Giles Smith, curriculum subcommittee co-chairman, said that the questionnaire would address the inclusion of minority, women and gay and lesbian-related literature to the Western Civilization curricula. Piper said the curriculum subcommittee wanted to find out what cultural views were addressed by the department and what changes the department might make. The questionnaires are not meant as an attack on the Western Civilization department, he said. Piper said he hoped to distribute the questionnaires to students by the end of the semester. Smith said it was the responsibility of the entire University to address diverse and cultural issues "It can't be in just one class," he said. "It has to be in every facet of your life." The curriculum subcommittee would like to see two classes required by the University for graduation, he said. One class would address women's issues, and the other would address cultural and ethnic issues. The minority affairs committee also discussed the possibility of changing its name and re-defining the nature of the committee. Liz Mendez, minority affairs committee chairperson, said the word "minority" is too vague and clearly indicate who it included. Todd Shea, minority affairs committee member, said that according to the Office of Minority Affairs, the federal definition of "minority" was Blacks, Asian Americans, Indian Indians and Latin Americans. By Yvonne Guzman Kansan staff writer Regents,education board plan to work together Members of the Board of Regents and the State Board of Education yesterday decided to work together more closely than they traditionally do in order to get more accomplished in Kansas education this year. There has been a lack of communication between the boards recently, said Kathleen White, education board member. "I think we'll have a very good system," White said. "I'm very excited about it." Members of both boards said they hoped closer communication would eliminate unnecessary duplication of data and time. They also about what the other body wanted. Yesterday, members of both From now on, members of each board will meet more often, White said. Both full boards will continue to meet twice a year. boards discussed several issues, including training and retraining of workers, the possibility of combining the boards to present one budget proposal to the Legislature next year, possible incorporation of Washburn University as a Regents institution and qualified admissions, a long-time point of contention between the Regents and the education board. Those present agreed to discuss two of those issues, putting together a single budget proposal and qualified budget for more depth at a meeting in January. Richard Robl, education board member, said that he was optimistic about the plans and that because the state's budget is tight, the boards will have to work together to find the best package for students in Kansas. "If they limit the dollars, you're going to have start working together to make the most of those dollars," he said.