THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAS STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY TOPEKA, KS 66612 VOL.101.NO.50 THE STUDENT NEWSPAPER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS FRIDAY NOVEMBER 2, 1990 ADVERTISING: 864-4358 (USPS 650-640) NEWS: 864-4810 K-State president: Plan was dumb idea University officials apologize for proposal to shut 2 colleges Kansas State University Provost James Coffman addresses an angry crowd in front of Seaton Hall on the K-State campus. About 2,500 By Karen Park Kansan staff writer MANHATTAN — K State officials yesterday apologized to about 2,500 students and faculty members for a reorganizational plan that would have eliminated the college of science and the college of human ecology. uKANSAN "We have handled some of this badly. We are going to have to work together. The colleges will continue to provide a major part of Kansas State University. "I apologize for the idea to get rid of the schools," President Jon Weflaid said to the students and faculty, who had gathered on campus to protest the changes. "It was a very, very, very dumb idea. Wefaid said K-State's budgetary crisis was forcing the administration to make cuts in academic programs. "We can no longer keep cutting the budgets across the board," he said. "We finally have to make choices." Since last week, rumors had circu- lated that the two colleges would be eliminated. On Monday, Wefald and James Coffman, university provost, met with the deans of the colleges to discuss proposed changes. During that meeting, the deans were told that their colleges would not be eliminated. On Wednesday morning, the administration issued its first written draft of the plan, which would make it easier for KState to enroll many of KState's nine colleges. But architecture and design and human ecology students, who protested for five days before administration officials announced the schools would not be eliminated, are trying to persuade Wefold. They wonder whether the cuts still will mean the eventual elimination of their colleges. including the colleges of agriculture and arts and sciences. Robb Karlin, Manhattan senior, told the crowd. "I think President Wefalu is either contradicting himself or just simply lying to his universe." Students and faculty members of the colleges of architecture and design and human ecology also said that they had not been involved in the plan's formation and that they were unfair targets for cuts. Lane Marshall, dean of the college of architecture and design, said that people perceived the elimination of departments and programs as meaning the college was not performing up to standard. "But Wefald has said there was not a single thing wrong with our college." he said. said KU had received six to eight calls a day since K-State made its announcement. Many students said they would transfer to another university if the revised prooosal was approved. The University of Kansas has been receiving calls from both students and parents inquiring about transferring from K-State to KU students were protesting proposed budget cuts in its colleges of architecture and design and human ecology yesterday. ring to KU would not ensure entrance into the architecture school even if students had been admitted to K-State's architecture school "What we're telling students and parents is not to make rush decisions." Lucas said He said that 144 students were accepted to the school each year out of 750 to 900 who applied. Transfer Max Lucas, dean of the KU School of Architecture and Urban Design. Rodger Sprouse, St. Joseph, Mo., sophomore, said that even if the proposal was not approved, the harmful to the school's reputation Marshall said that he thought Wefald would reconsider some of the proposed cuts but that he did not know how great Wefald could commit to them. "It's clear to me that the students will need to keep pressure on the administration." he said. needed to reskill the old proposal and work with faculty and students to develop a new plan. Marshall said the administration "It may take years for us to recover from this," he said. "Our recruiting has been damaged." Kansan reporter Courtney Eblen contributed information to this story. Iraq to release four Americans The Associated Press BAGHIDAD, Iraq — Iraq said four U.S. hostages, described as elderly and sick, would soon be freed in response to a plea from a private Information Minister Latif Jassim, speaking at a Raghad news conference once yesterday, did not say exactly what had happened, released, and said it would be soon. He did not disclose the names of those to be freed, but later, the official Iraqi News Agency identified them as Randall Trinah, Abdul Kanjy, Raymond Galles and Michael Barres. The report did not give their ages or hometowns. attack It said they were being released in response to a petition from a group called the Arab American Reconciliation Society, and that a delegation from the group would accompany them to the United States. A U.S. Embassy spokesperson welcomed the news, and said the embassy was seeking details from Iraq's foreign ministry. "It is good news. Our top priority is to get Americans out," said the spokesperson, who spoke on condition of anonymity. Jassim also said that reporters would be allowed to go to strategic installations to visit hostages being held as human shields against "All the Americans at sites have complete freedom. They can watch TV, read books and read newspapers," said James Farris, who enjoys the friendship of Iraq forces. But smuggled letters delivered to the U.S. embassy from two captive U.S. citizens made very different claims about life in Iraqi captivity. One captive said that he had lost 35 pounds, and that he had received no mail or messages in two months of captivity. The other described the toll of isolation as his captivity stretched on. "You can survive. But individually interned, (one) must be psychologically capable of living alone within the house." "Do not forget the guest hostess." The letter-writers were not identified, and the official releasing the letters demanded anonymity. He said non-U.S. foreigners being freed had carried the handwritten letters, and were addressed to the embassy Iraref refers to the estimated 600 foreigners interned at strategic military and industrial sites in Iraq and occupied Kuwait as guests. The Iraqi Foreign Ministry has given instructions that visas be issued for foreigners who wish to spend the Christmas and New Year Saddam worse than Hitler. Bush says on campaign trail The Associated Press ORLANDO, Fla. — President Bush sharply attacked Saddam Hussein from the campaign trail yesterday, saying that Iraqi brutalities in the Persian Gulf rivaled those under Adolf Hitler, and pledged again to "see his aggression turned back." "I don't think the status quo can go on forever." Bush said "I don't know how long is long enough to live." Mr. Trump's withdrawal from Kuwait. Toward the end of a long day of angry rhetoric directed at Saddam, Bush said: "I'm not trying to sound the tosin of war." Bush's spokesperson said that the president was speaking out "to prepare the American people for any eventuality." Bush spent his day campaigning from Massachusetts to Florida to Ohio for Republican candidates in next week's elections. The president blended his political activity with a focus on the Persian Gulf crisis. There were signs that some Democrats were beginning to chate at Bush's gulf rhetoric in the mid-temrion election campaign "If the president wants politics to end at the water's edge, he has an obligation to leave events beyond the water's edge — out of campaign politics," said Rep. David Obey, D-Wis. holidays with relatives held captive in Iraq and Kuwait. The British Foreign Office dismissed the move as "a cynical propaganda move on the part of the Iraqis" and advised not to go. However, several relatives told the British Broadcasting Corp. that they intended to go. And the Iraqi News Agency said former Prime Minister Edward Heath, who had helped secure the release of more than 50 Britons in October, called on the families of British "guests in Iraq" to accept the offer, INA said its London correspondent reported 10 wives would do so. First lady predicts peace in gulf crisis The Associated Press OVERLAND PARK — First lady Barbara Bush said yesterday that her husband's recent comments about the treatment of American hostages in Iraq were not meant to provoke war. "He's just being firm" There's a big difference, the first lady said, "I don't think of my backask or of him as wise." President Bush was quoted During a campaign stop for Gov. Mike Hayden yesterday, Barbara Bush also predicted that countries allied against Iraqi President Saddam Hussein would solve the crisis going to war. Wednesday as saying he has "had it" with the treatment of American dip diplomats and hostages in Iraq. "When you have 24 countries in the world all working for peace ... trying to get something done, I think you will," she said at a news conference following a breakfast gathering for Hayden's supporters. The first lady told the gathering that the president would not "rest until each and every one of those who have been tried in the sasan gulf" are home, and until we can get that dreadful dictator Saddam Hussein to concede the things he "It's very important that we stick up for what's right in the world, but it's also very important to remember we're not in this alone," she said. "I want you to know it is on George's mind all the time," she said. sas. Hayden commented at the news conference about recent polls showing him and Democratic challenger Ted Cruz who would believe the polls favored him. "I asked to come in and he was very kind. When you have a man of this caliber running, whether to campaign or to campaign for him," she said. In stumping for Hayden, the first lady said, "Mike really has the kind of vision that's needed to move this great state forward into the future." She said she had asked Hayden if she could campaign for him in Kan- McDonald's to eliminate plastic foam packaging "We are favorably indicated by every poll we see." Hayden said, but added, "They don't predict the winner, and we're not going to take anything for granted. We're going to work until the very last opportunity." CHICAGO — The plastic foam boxes that cradle millions of big Macs and other sandwiches — boxes an environmentalist called “a huge symbol of the throwaway society that eliminated,盗取, wasted yesterday.” The Associated Press Under pressure from environmental groups, which say the clamshell boxes add to the nation's overflying garbage crisis, McDonald Corp. President Edward Etheri said that the company had not received any liability. "Although some scientific studies indicate that Rensi said that McDonald's would begin eliminating the sandwich containers — which account for nearly 75 percent of its total foam use — in the United States within 60 days. He said no timetable had been set for phasing it out at its restaurants abroad. foam packaging is environmentally sound, our customers just don't feel good about it," Reisil said in a telephone interview from the company's Oak Brook headquarters. "So we're ahead." First to go will be the plastic foam sandwich boxes, which will be replaced by paper products manufactured in a new process that will preserve the food's temperature and freshness, Rensi said. He did not elaborate. The company still is trying to determine suitable replacements for plastic cutlery and the plastic knives. Remi said the move would mean a "significant reduction" in the volume of packaging used by See MCDONALD'S, p. 5 FBI agent testifies Grissom hinted at women's locations Kansan projects writer OLATHE — "I could not do that." By Eric Gorski OLEEN H. They were the words repeatedly used by Richard Grissom Jr. when, during an interview the day of his arrest in July 1980, an FBI agent asked him whether he killed three Johnson County women, according to testimony yesterday in the Grissom murder trial. Mike Napier, FBI special agent, disclosed the details of his July 7, 1980, eight-hour interview with Gris- son's Fort-Worth International Airport. Johnson County District Attorney Paul Morrison wrapped up the prosecution's case yesterday. Napier was one of the last of about 100 witnesses the state called to testify during the past 10 days. It will be up to juries to determine whether he proved that Grissom 29, is guilty of three counts of first-degree murder in the June 1989 disappearance of 1987 KU graduate Joan M. Butler, 24, of Overland Park, and Lenexa roommates Theresa Brown and Christine Rusch, who never have been found, Grissom pleaded not guilty to all the charges. The defense is expected to begin calling witnesses today from a list of about 20 names. Other testimony yesterday indicated that pubic hair found in the beds of Brown and Rusch matched Grissom's public hair. Also yesterday, hair samples taken from a brush believed to be used by Rusch were matched with hair found on a carpet in a Stanley storage space that Grissom rented, according to testimony. Hair found on a wadded piece of duct tape on the roof of a home was also resembled Rusch's hair samples. Napier said that early in the interview, Grissom said he thought the women still were alive. But later, he concoided they probably were dead. During questioning, Napier said, “(Grissom) made fists and rubbed his eyes as if trying to erase images.” While discussing the whereabouts of the women's bodies, Naupar said Grissom told him, "You'll dig them up." Most of yesterday afternoon's testimony centered on the Napier interview, which he conducted with Detective Joe Langer of Leawood police. Napier said that Grissom said authorities would find the women's bodies in Johnson County because Missouri had a death penalty and Kansas did not Napier said that later in the interview Grissom wanted to make a deal and said he could "give them the whole package." Grissom never admitted to killing the women, though. Grissom also said that early on a Monday morning — he did not know the date — Thibdo brought him to work, where Brown and Rusch lived, and dropped him off at a compact Dodge, which had its motor running. Grissom drove it to the Motel 6 in Lexington, and Thibdo eventually abandoned it. Napier said Grissom gave the following account during the interview: Grissom said he obtained a red cushion, and he took it over. Butter early in the morning June 18 from Marcela Thubado, who worked for Grissom's painting company. Rusch used a white Dodge Colf that was recovered June 28, 1989, at that Motel 6, according to previous testimony. Thibdo later dropped Grissom off at a Stanley storage area Grissom had rented, Grissom said. Thibdo returned with Brown's purse and left to make withdrawals with her ATM. Thibdo never returned, he said. According to previous testimony, $300 was withdrawn from Brown's checking account through an ATM on June 26. Thiboda was being interviewed by Lawrence police at that time. Thiboda testified Wednesday and was not asked about any of Grissom's claims. Butler's purse was in the front seat of the car, and Grissom he took an automatic teller machine card from it and withdrew $800 from three different bank branches after figuring out the card's access code. He said he kept 60 percent of the money and gave 40 percent to Thibodeo. Napier also quizzed Grissom about his state of mind, and Grissom told him he "had a temper that would突然explode beyond his control." During cross-examination of Napier, Thomas Erker, one of Grissom's court-appointed defense attorneys, asked Napier and Langer why they did not take notes or tape the interview. Langer testified that during training he had been taught that taking notes or taping during interviews was a cumbersome process that distracted everyone involved in the interview. When a suspect says he is ready to confess, then audio or video tapes are used, he said.