Sports University Daily Kansan / Thursday, November 1, 1990 9 KU tries to forget 19 years of losses to Oklahoma State By Rob Wheat Kansan sportswriter Football Although the Jayhawks are preparing to face Oklahoma State this Saturday, you would never know it before. You've met them or from attending team meetings. The coaches never refer to their coming opponent as Oklahoma State or even as the Cowboys. They are referred to as the "other team." The top of the practice sheets don't carry Oklahoma State's name, and the sign is crossed out in the locker room. The Cowboys remain a nameless team. In preparation for Kansas' last away game of the season Saturday, the coaches are playing down that the Jayhawks will be trying to snap a 19-year losing streak against Oklahoma State. Kansas coach Glen Mason was still in college at Ohio State the last time the Jawhaws beat the Cowboys. "This week we're getting ready to play a team that we haven't beaten in a long, long, long time." Mason said. "I've got some guys on my team that weren't even the last time KU, whom we have to play this week." Running back George White, the leading rusher in the backfield last week, was about 6 months-old, November 3, 1972 when the Jayhawks unset the Cowbirds 13-10. But if the Jayhawks do win in Stillwater, Okla., on Saturday, they will have to do it without White. White suffered a knee sprain last week against Kansas State and will not play this week. Exactly 19 years ago Saturday, Gansas coach Don Fambrough was trying to snap a three-game losing streak in Oklahoma, then heavily avowed Oklahoma State. Then, with 4-40 left in the game, kicker Bob Helmhacher booted a 21- yard field goal that gave Kansas the lead. The Cowboys got the ball two more times, but an interception by safety Gary Adams spoiled Oklahoma State's chances for a comeback. Mason said that using the losing streak for inspiration was like telling the team that the last time a guy jumped off the Washington Bridge and survived was almost 20 years ago. "Those guys don't care what happened 19 years ago, they care about last year and the year before," Mason said. "That is a long time ago." Last year, Oklahoma State beat the Jayhawks 37-24 in the Jayhawks' final home game. Former Cowboy quarterback Mike Gundy passed for 427 yards and played a part in all four of the Cowboys' touchdowns. though, isn't it?" Defensive lineman Lance Flachsborn said he would be looking to avenge last year's loss and that the losest streak wouldn't be a factor. "Coach Mason talked to us earlier in the week about a jax," Flaches barth said. "We really haven't thought about that. We're not going into it like we're playing Oklahoma State, a team we haven't beaten in a long time. We're just preparing like we would against any of them." Flachsbarth said that Kansas had a good shot at beating all of the Jayhawks' next three opponents, including third-ranked Nebraska. Kansas State broke its seven-year losing streak against the Cowboys two weeks ago with a 23-17 victory in Manhattan. Mason said that winning or losing the next three games would have an effect on future attitudes toward the program. "I feel that what happens in these last three games has a bearing on next year," Mason said. "There should be some carry-over in your team." It is a year-round process. You just turn it off and on like a light bulb." Kansas running back George White, who ran for 58 vards against Kansas State, won't play Saturday. Wilson's career with Royals ends after no contract offered for 1991 The Associated Press KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Willie Willem's career with the Kansas City Royals came to a close yesterday, ending 13 years of headline-making highs and lows that included a World Series championship, a batting title and a drug conviction. The Royals, as expected, announced they were not offering the 35-year-old outfielder a contract for next season. "He has been a Wilson tremendous asset to this ballclub for 13 years," said general manager Herk Robinson. "He helped us into two World Series and provided tremendous excitement for the fans of Kansas City. We'll miss him and we wish him well. He was a great ballplayer." Wilson, a .290 lifetime hitter who hit .332 to win the 1862 batting title, could not be reached for comment. The Royals have at least four center fielder candidates for next year, including Bo Jackson and Brian McRae, who played well when brought up from the minor leagues in August. "I don't know that he was greatly surprised by our decision," Tobinson said. "But Willie took our notice if you will, as a true professional." Wilson, who filed for free agency last week, is the third veteran to be cut from the roster recently. The club notified longtime Royals second baseman Frank White, 40, and catcher Boone Boone, 42, earlier that they would not be offered 1991 contracts. Wilson said after the season that he did not expect to return to the Rovals. Wilson was not the everyday center fielder last season but played in 15 games and hit .260. He led the Royals in stolen bases with 24. When the Royals called him up as a rookie in 1978, Wilson was widely acknowledged as the fastest man in the major leagues. As the No. 1 running back prospect in the nation, he was heavily recruited out of high school in Summit. N.J., and signed a contract to intent to play football at Maryland. The next season he led the league with 83 stolen bases, then hit his full stride in 2014 and helped thrust the Royals into their first World Series. He had a team-record 230 hits, scored a club-record 133 runs and shared the league lead with 15 triples in one of the most productive seasons any player enjoyed during the entire decade. He also became only the second player in major league history that year to log 100 hits from each side of the plate, and broke Mike Mantle's switch-hiting record with 133 runs. From July 20 to September 30 that year he set an American League record with 32 consecutive stolen bases. In 1982, Wilson became the second Royal in two years to win the league batting title. But the next November, Wilson and four other members of the 1983 Royals became ensured in a drug investigation in the Kansas City area. He eventually pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of attempting to possess cocaine and served a three-month sentence at a minimum security facility. He was suspended for one year but was reinstated the next May 15. Also sentenced in the probe were pitcher Vida Blue, first baseman Willie Aikens and outfielder Jerry Martin. "Wille Wilson's style of play brought a lot of excitement to the Royals organization," Robinson said. Wilson has indicated he does not believe his career is over. He finishes his Royals career with 1,968 hits and 612 stolen bases. "I think Willie would like to continue playing." Robinson said. "We would certainly wish him well. I would probably be beneficial to the club. "But center field is a position where we've got a degree of depth. And I think we're in pretty good shape." The player was a player who can be easily replaced." The Associated Press Phillies sign Daulton; Bell now a free agent NEW YORK — Outfielder George Bell of the Toronto Blue Jays filed for free agency yesterday while catcher Darren Daufon signed the first big合同, a 86.75 million, three-year contract with the Philadelphia Phillies. Pitcher Greg Harris, who was eligible to file, re-signed with the Boston Red Sox for $2.8 million for two years. Meanwhile, Cincinnati declined to exercise its 1991 option on second baseman Ron Oester, and Pittsburgh declined to exercise its option on pitcher Ted Power. Oester and Power immediately filed for free agency, as did Bell, Los Angeles pitcher Fernando Valenzuela and Pirates first baseman Sid Man A total of 89 players have filed and nine more are eligible to submit their names by Sunday's midnight deadline. Daulton, 28, was a .206 lifetime hitter until this year, when he batted 268 with 12 home runs, 30 doubles and 57 RBIs. He will get a $500,000 payout for $1.75 million in 1991 and $2.5 million each of the following two seasons. Leyland named NL manager of year Jeff Torborg of the Chicago White Sox was selected the American League manager of the year Tuesday. Pittsburgh improved in the first three years under Leyland, going 85-75 in 1988 and challenging the Mets for most of the season. But in 1989, the Pirates slipped far back, but in 1990, they were given little chance this season with the Mets, the defending champion Chicago Cubs or St. Louis. The Associated Press The Pirates had Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonilla for offense but did not have a set starting rotation or a relief ace. Leyland lagged his staff and wound up with 18 different pitchers getting victories. Leyland got 17 of the 24 first-place votes and finished with 99 points. He joined the White Sox as a coach in 1982 and studied under Manager Tony La Rusa, who remains one of Leyland's closest friends. He was finally hired to manage in the majors in 1986 with Pittsburgh. NEW YORK—Jim Leyland, who turned the Pittsburgh Pirates into contenders and guided them through the pressure of a pennant race, was selected the National league manager of the year yesterday. Leyland took a team that went 74-88 and was fifth in the NLAE in 1989 and molded it into a division champion at 95-67. The Pirates overcame the New York Mets and all the odds in the stretch to finish with the second-best record in baseball. No manager was named on all 24 ballots. Two members of the Baseball Writers Association of America in each NL city vote, and voting was completed before the start of the game. The team beat Pittsburgh in six games. The Pirates struggled for the first Leyland, 45, won in his fifth season with Pittsburgh. He was a career minor league man before that, playing seven seasons as a member of the organization and then managing for 11 years in the Tigers' system. Instead, he kept the Pirates in front by skillfully sticking with whoever was the hot reliever, be it Jordan Bell or Bret Lawndrum. Lawndrum also had the benefit of Doug Drabek, who emerged as one of baseball's best starters, plus the Killer Bs — Bonds and J.R. Wilson. Wally Backman and Jay Bell. Monreal's Buck Rodgers also got three first-place votes and was tied for third at 32 points with Los Angeles' Tom Lasorda, who got the other first-place vote. San Francisco's Roger Craig and New York's Bud Harrison tied for fourth with two points each. Lou Pinieira, who led Cincinnati to the World Series championship in his first season with the Reds, got one win and -was second with 49 points. Leyland would not let his team collapse, guiding the Pirates with an intense yet cool demeanor. He quit smoking midway through the game, and then when his team expected him to become more nervous, he did not. two weeks, then hit their stride and took over first place. Pittsburgh stayed there for most of the season, and even when the Mets nudged ahead in the first week of September could not fold as many predicted. When asked if Bell could return to Toronto, where he has clashed with management, Hendricks said, "There's always a chance, sure. But he's a free player and everyone on a level playing field." Bell, the 1987 American League MVP, batted .269 this season with 21 homers and 96 RBIs. Alan Hendricks was a key player. He helmed was prepared to leave Toronto Oester, 34, was the longest-tenured Reds player and batted. 29 in 154 atbats with no homers and 13 RBIs. He made $650,000 and the Reds had an option at the same salary. Instead, they are giving him a $100,000 buyout and hope to sign him at a lower salary. "We're exploring all options," Hendricks said, "it already talked to several teams and we plan to talk to all of them." and that's what we did." Harris, who will be 35 tomorrow, was 13-9 with a 4.00 ERA and made $615,000. He will get $1.3 million next season and $1.4 million in 1992. Boss made it at $1.5 million and must pay a $100,000 buvout if it not exercised. Jury finds Tyson guilty of fondling woman The five-women, one-man jury will return to Manhattan's federal court today to hear testimony on Tyson's financial fraud before ruling on damages. NEW YORK — A jury decided yesterday that former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson fondled a woman at a Manhattan dance club in 1988 and awarded the woman $100 in compensatory damages. The Associated Press Power and Bream give the Pirates 10 free agents, the most of any team. Power, 35, signed with Pittsburgh as a free agent and was 1-3 with a 3.6 ERA and seven wins in seven opportunities. He made $620,000, including $270,000 in bonuses, and would have made $600,000 under the option. Instead, he also gets a $100,000 buyout. The jury deliberated about 4/5 hours before finding that Tyson, the former heavyweight champion, grabbed Mille's breasts and buttocks after she refused his advances at Benley's Disco on Dec. 10, 1988. money from Tyson. The woman, Sandra Miller, asked for up to $2.5 million in punitive damages on her civil lawsuit. "You should send a message that if Sandra Miller wants to engage in a rich-rich quick scheme, she should buy a gift ticket," Hirth said. Tyson, who had denied that the incident ever took place, showed no outward emotion as U.S. District Judge Michael B. Mukasey read the verdict, which found the fighter had committed battery but not assault Her lawyer, however, urged jurors to believe her version of events because she had the "courage and intellect" former world heavyweight champion. Tyson, who testified during the When asked how she felt, Miller, a 26-year-old computer operator from Queens, said, "Great that they know that he did it." In his instructions on the law to the jury, the judge had explained that assault required no finding of contact but must include a threat. A finding of battery requires actual contact, he said. In closing arguments earlier yesterday, Tyson's attorney, Robert Hirth, told the jury that Miller had concocted the allegations to obtain Tyson said he was not disappointed with the verdict. "If they thought it was serious, they would have given her more than 100 bucks." he said. 'Any touching that is unwanted is offensive and should not be permitted,' said Alan Clark, Miller's attorney. "How would you feel if that stranger happened to be a boxer whose hands are lethal weapons, who happens to be heavyweight champion of the world?" he asked. "Would you be scared?" Before deciding punitive damages, the jury will get a copy of Tyson's financial statement. Miller's attorneys said they also planned to call another woman who has sued Tyson for a similar incident that allegedly happened the same night at Bentley's. "It makes him, with Lance Parrish, the highest-paid catcher in baseball," said Daulton arn, Arn That's how we got to the number." Parrish signed a $6.75 million, three-year deal with the California Angels last winter. three-day trial, acknowledged that he was at Bentley's Disco that night but denied knowing or ever touching Miller. The second woman's testimony will be presented to show that Tyson engaged in a pattern of abusive behavior again today to dispute those claims, "We're glad to have him before he goes into the so-called mine field (of free agency)." Phillies general manager Lee Thomas said. "Once you get out there you don't know what can happen. You want to keep your own Valenzuela re-signed with the Dodgers last year after filing for free agency. He was 13-13 with a 4.59 ERA and played in 200 games, including $200,000 in bonuses Sports briefs Three eliminated from men's tennis tourney All three Kansas men's tennis players competing in the qualifying tournament for the Volvo All-America tournament eliminated after the first round of play. The qualifier, in Athens, Ga., started Tuesday. Kansas junior Rafael Rangel was defeated by David McCallum of Indiana 6-4, 6-4. Junior Patrick Han was defeated by Jeff Spier of Arizona 7-6, 7-5. Senior Craig Wildley was defeated by Johnsburg of California-Berkeley 7-6, 1-6, 3-6. Kansas seniors John Falbo and Chris Walker and Wildey will compete in the Volvo All-American tour in the second ranked 23rd in the Volvo Tennis/College Rankings, will play in the singles main draw. Walker and Wildey, the 20th-ranked doubles team, will compete in the main draw of the tournament. Four finalists named for Lombardi Award Moe Gardner of Illinois, Russell Maryland of the University of Miami, David Rocker of Auburn and Chris Zorich of Notre Dame were named finalists yesterday for the Lombardi gift given to the nation's top lineman All four are defensive players, although offensive linemen are also eligible for the award. Before the season began, 12 players were nominated. Gardner was an All-Big Ten selection as a sophomore and junior, Maryland, who had a career-high 20 tackles against Notre Dame two weeks ago, has 64 tackles this season with six sacks. Rocker, whose brother Tracy won the Lombardi Award in 1988, anchors Auburn's highly rated defense. Zorich, who was a Lombardi final last year, dislocated his kneecap Saturday and will miss this week's game against Navy. The injury could force Zorich to miss the rest of the season. K-State releases player from basketball team Keary Williams, a junior forward, has been dismissed from the Kansas State University men's basketball team. Coach Dana Altman said yesterday. "Keary's academic standards were not the same as those we hold important in the men's basketball program," Alman said. Williams transferred to Kansas State this fall after two years at Cloud Community College in Concordia. He is a native of Pine Bluff, Ark. From staff and wire reports