6 Wednesday, September 26, 1990 / University Daily Kansan CHECKERS BONUS BUCKS --affairs --affairs --affairs Iraqi troop buildup continues WASHINGTON — Iraq has sharply increased its troop strength to 430,000 men and in near Kuwait and continues to deploy tanks and other armored equipment within Iraq. Saudi Arabia, the Pentagon announced yesterday. The Associated Press Separately, a senior Pentagon official disclosed that Soviet military advisers in Iraq are performing maintenance work. Withdrawal of the Soviet advisers wouldn't have much effect on its military capabilities, said the official, as did the withdrawal of French troops. Bush president Mikhail Gorbachev told President Bush earlier this month that his country had a contract with the United States that was being reduced. He said the approval of 50 Soviet troops still in Iraq weren't playing a significant role in military Pete Williams, chief Defense Department spokesperson, said the Iraqi deployments still appear to be "essentially a defensive force" but were capable of readily converting to an offensive strike force. Williams said that Iraq added about 70,000 troops in occupied Kuwait and southern Iraq over the past week. That means Baghdad has boosted its troop strength in the area by about 165,000 men in just two weeks — an amount roughly equal to the total number of U.S. forces deployed to the Persian Gulf area in the past seven weeks. Williams said the added Iraqi firepower was due mainly to Iraq's shifting of mechanized forces back from the Kuwait border with Saudi Arabia into "tactical terrain" and that military replacements on the front line with infantry units, he said. House committee OKs Gulf funds The Associated Press WASHINGTON — The House Appropriations Committee voted an extra $2 billion yesterday to pay for U.S. military operations in the Peru and proposed that the president be briefed toIVATE reservists for up to 12 months. Present law limits such call-ups to six months without congressional approval The votes came as the committee approved legislation designed to keep the government operating until Oct. 20. The stoppag measure is necessary because Congress has not enacted any of the 13 annual appropriations bills for the budget year. There was no debate on the additional money for Persian Gulf operations or on giving the president authority to call up reservists for longer periods. A related provision, called "danger-duty" for their nefarious "danger-duty" pay for U.S. forces in the Gulf region, also was approved without controversy. But President Bush's recommendation that $6.7 billion in Egyptian debt be forgiven in recognition of Egypt's support in the Gulf was put into effect, it did not fail if brought to a vote. Instead, the committee accepted a plan by Reps. David R. Obey, D-Wis., and Mickey Edwards, R-Oka., to make Egypt eligible for additional aid Under current law, aid may not be provided to any person or more in inrears in repaying earlier assistance. Egypt will be a year behind in payments Oct. 4. Briefs Romania offers space to U.S., British troops The United States is considering a Romanian offer to put up thousands of U. troops on their way to and from the Arabian peninsula in luxury resorts free of charge, officials said yesterday. The offer would apply through the winter and would be extended to French and Canadian troops as well as American forces. Minister Eugen Dumarescu. If the offer is accepted, Romania would become the first member of the crumbling Soviet-led Warsaw Uprising and other NATO troops on its territory. The United States received a 76-minute videotaped message from Iraq President Saddam Hussein then, the State Department said. Saddam's videotape sent to U.S. diplomats The tape was delivered to the department by Iraqi Ambassador Mohamed al-Mashat. Officials were making a copy of the tape to the news media later in the day. Saddam tapped his address in response to an eight-minute message delivered on Iraqi television resident Bush earlier this month. Despite U.S. urging that Iraq hand the tape directly to the media, Iraq insisted on delivering it to the State Department. All media in the Most U.S. television networks have said they are unlikely to broadcast the entire tape. Kansas reserve units called to active duty A U.S. Army reserve transportation company based in Osage City and its detachment from Emporia have been called up for duty in Operation Desert Shield, officials said yesterday. The 129th Transportation Company and the 129th Transportation Detachment were told to report to their home stations tomorrow. Together the units have about 150 reservists. The 89th U.S. Army Reserve Command in Wichita said their primary mission was to haul heavy equipment in tractor-trailers. The units will deploy to Fort Riley on Tuesday for more training. The command did not release their final destination. Bush urges worldwide aid for Gulf countries President Bush appealed yesterday for a "generous response from the world community" to coerce cocked by the Persian Gulf crisis. Bush, speaking to the annual meeting of the 152-member International Monetary Fund, announced he was forming an international monetary coordinate financial help for the most seriously affected countries. From The Associated Press SATISFACTION GUARANTEED