THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAS STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY TOPEKA, KS 66412 VOL.101.NO.6 THE STUDENT NEWSPAPER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS (USPS 650-640) ADVERTISING: 864-4358 FRIDAY, AUGUST 31, 1990 NEWS: 864-4810 Iraq arranges to fly Britons to London; no time or date set The Associated Press LONDON — Iraq was arranging yesterday to evacuate some British women and children from Baghdad board iraq Airways, the Foreign Office said, and Virgin Atlantic airline permission to pick up more evacues. Virgin Atlantic said that contrary to reports from diplomats in Iraq, it was not told to bring food and supper before it could evacuate Batitos. The Foreign Office said Iraq was arranging to fly Britons, possibly 132 women and children, to London but no time or date had been specified. "exit vias for this flight are being arranged," a department spokesperson said, "but no exit vias have been issued for any subsequent flights." An estimated 4,500 Britons were caught in Iraq and Kuwait when invaded its oil-rich neighbor Aug. 2. About 3,000 U.S. citizens were among the estimated 21,000 Westerners caught in Iraq and I-o-cupied Kuwait It was not clear how many of the Westerners would be allowed to travel More than 200 women and children who had been held hostage at strategic Iraqi sites were taken to a hospital, where they lived in preparation for leaving Iraq. Iraq officials denied reports that the hostages were being detained in exchange for food and medicine to the U.N. embargo of Iraq. The United Nations imposed sanctions to force Iraq to withdraw from Kuwait, and the United States has led a multinational force buildup in Saudi Arabia aimed at discouraging Iraq by Iraq to seize more territory. President Bush at a news conference in Washington yesterday said he would not allow the presence of the roughly 3,000 U.S. citizens in Iraq and Kuwait to influence his decisions on the Persian Gulf crisis. The foreigners at the hotel, mostly from the United States, Britain, France, Japan and Australia, said government officials told them they could leave after documents were received. This weekend or early next week. Earlier, government officials said 237 of the foreign women and children "guests" for ask exit visas to leave the country. They said 28 asked to remain. British Airways was standing by to remove up to five aircraft from scheduled services to help with any airlift from Iraq. Virgin Atlantic's chairperson, Richard Branton, said Iraqi authorities approved his airline's plans to fly 140 women and children. He said the permission that Virgin Atlantic had from the Iraqis would last 24 hours. He said he was conflicted with the Iraqis who would abide by the agreed plan. "The impression we have, having talked to various Iraqi ambassadors, is that Saddam Hussein is very serious about letting women and children go," he said. "He wants to make a gesture and we believe he won't want to spoil the gesture by doing anything foolish." A Foreign Office spokesperson said some passports had been collected in Baghdad, but the advice to British citizens should remain a low profile. Earlier yesterday, the government said 32 more British citizens had been rounded up in Kuwait, while its embassy in Baghdad had begun handling paperwork to send women and children home. He said 197 British citizens were known to have been taken into custody in Kuwait. Diplomats in Baghdad, speaking on condition of anonymity, said yesterday that the government had refused to allow foreign airlines to land in the Iraq capital to evacuate civilians and pressess they carried food and medicine. Otherwise, the evacuees would have to travel in convoys overland, most likely to the Turkish border, 375 miles north of Baghdad, they said. Iraq's ambassador in Washington, Mohamed al-Mashat, told reporters there yesterday. "It is absolutely not true. I categorically deny that." Officials in Baghdad also denied the reports. Kim Heworth of Sydney, Australia, who taught English in a private school in Kuwait, told reporters she was caught in a roundup by Iraqi soldiers two weeks after the invasion of Iraq. The government has searched for food in Kuwait City. Woman convicted in train-accident death They were first taken to Baghdad and then to a military site, which she said she could not identify. The Associated Press An Oklahoma woman was convicted of misdemeanor vehicular homicide for driving a car that pushed another car into the path of a train, killing a student and injuring two others. Ewdina Rae Sandoval, 24, of Tulsa pleaded no contest Wednesday to a misdemeanor charge that she was charged with assault in similar felony charge was dismissed. Sandoval faces a maximum one-year prison sentence and a $2,500 fine. She was convicted in Douglas County District Court. If she were convicted under the felony, she would have faced a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a Sandoval knocked a car carrying three Haskell Indian Junior College students into the path of a freight train May 11, 1989, near Lawrence, Wells said evidence would have shown that Sandoval was intoxicated and listening to music on a borrowed car's cassette plaver. Sandoval's car pushed a vehicle driven by Dawnna Paul, then 20, of Cherokee, N.C., on the tracks. Paul was injured severely and a passenger, Ricky L. Cooper, 24, of Anadarko. Okla., was critically injured. Lester Battise, 25, of Livingston, Texas, was killed in the accident and two others were severely injured. "She reached to change a tape and blew the stop sign on the train crossing." Wells said. said Jerry Wells, first assistant district attorney. The accident occurred in the early morning just after Sandoval had graduated from college. Wells said. Both lived, but Wells said one of the victims was now confined to a wheelchair and both had trouble traveling. KU Council challenges chancellor Members want Budig to explain ROTC-ban veto Bv Karen Park Kansan staff writer University Council passed an amendment yesterday requesting that Chancellor Gene A. Budig explain his veto of a May 3 council resolution that would allow him from holding commission ceremonies on campus. Faculty members said the council passed the resolution prohibiting the ceremonies because the Department of Defense policy violated the University of Kansas' anti-discrimination policy. The KU policy states a student may not be denied the rights of access to or participation in any University-sponsored or University-approved activity because of race, religion, sex, disability, national origin, political affiliation, age, ancestry or sexual orientation. tive vice chancellor, has represented the chancellor's office. In council meetings, Del Shankel, interim execu- Ted Frederickson, associate professor of journalism, said, "I'm puzzled by the fact that the person who chooses not to ratify this has not explained his decision personally to us." The Council also amended the May 3 resolution. In addition to prohibiting commissioning ceremonies from being held on campus, the council added that the University will not allow the ceremonies as official representatives of KU. The amendment would allow the chancellor to attend ROTC ceremonies on an outing. Shankel reiterated the administration's stance for vetoting the resolution "We abate discriminatory practices of any kind, and they have no place on a university campus such as ours," he said. "But the dilemma that we have is that we strongly favor the continuance of our work." Shankel said that the council believed prohibiting the commissioning ceremony was a symbolic action but that it would have a substantive effect on the ROTC program. The University should not act in a hostile manner, he said. The University should continue to work with other universities and work with state legislators. Mike Schreiner, student body president, said, "I don't think we're asking that ROTC be banned from campus by any means. What we are asking is that the University recognize that the ROTC program at the University is in direct violation of our anti-discrimination policy." Army ROTC cadets salute during the Pledge of Allegiance at the reactivation ceremony in front of Allen Field House KU ROTC stages reactivation ceremony By Tatsuya Shimizu Kansan staff writer Members of the KU Army ROTC participated in a reactivation ceremony yesterday afternoon in front of Allen Field House. About 60 students, wearing camouflage battle uniforms and black boots, were part of the team that defeated which, lasted about two hours. Carol Jaramillo, public relations staff officer of KU Army ROTC, said the ceremony established a command for the ROTC battalion. The U.S. flag and the battalion flag are called battalion colors instead of flags in the Army ROTC. John Penny, the new battalion commander, received the yellow battalion flag from Lt. Col. Wili- liam McGaha, Army ROTC commander. The U.S. flag and the battalion flag are called battalion colors in the Army ROTC, Jaramillo said. Liz Moneymaker, army ROTC staff officer, said the battalion colors were the essence of the corps. ches the unit's cohesiveness," she said. McGaha welcomed new students and said he was thrilled to start a new year. The ultimate goal of the Army ROTC is to prepare students for future leadership in the U.S. Army, he said. mander. This is his fourth and final year in the Army ROTC. "Their symbolism provides soldiers with a greater sense of pride, strength and collectivity that enri- corps. Yesterday's ceremony was Joe Ross' first Army ROTC activity. Ross, a freshman from Horton, said he was excited and optimistic about his future in the Army ROTC. Ross said one of the reasons he chose the Army ROTC was because the program paid a large part of his college expenses. McGaha said the reactivation ceremony was very important to bring everyone back together after graduation and to come new students in the battalion. KU agrees to aid cleanup of radioactive dump Regents take action in response to suit filed against school by Eudora woman The landfill, located in rural Johnson County, is the subject of a lawsuit brought against the Board of Regents by a Eudora woman. By Mike Brassfield The University of Kansas will work with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment to clean up a low-level radioactive dump operated by KU from 1964 to 1982, a Board of Regents official said yesterday. Kansan staff writer Jean Martin filed the suit July 24 in the Federal District Court of Kansas "We're trying to get the cleanup process started as quickly as possible," said Bill Session, a lawyer representing the Regents. Session said KU was still working with the KDHE in determining the methods for the cleanup. in Kansas City, Kan. The suit asks the court to require the Regents to clean up the landfill and Martin's property, just northwest of the land- John Parisi, Martin's lawyer, said toxic substances had leaked out of the landfill and onto Martin's property. Martin's suit also asks for a declaration that the site violates federal environmental statutes. "We don't know whether there is or isn't a danger present by the landfill." Session said. "But if there is an opportunity to give every interest in responding to it." "As far as the lawsuits go, our position is that the University complied with the regulations that were in place at the time." Session said. He said the Regents also believed that Martin's lawyers had not completed all the procedural requirements necessary to bring the suit. But, he said, even though the lawsuit existed, both sides were working together. "Both Mrs. Martin and the university are working towards the same thing," he said. "Both sides want to see the site cleaned up." Parisi agreed, saying that no further legal action would be taken by his office for a month. According to court documents, Martin first became concerned about the landfill in 1982 when KHDF knew that the carcinogen dioxane in her well. But Greg Crawford, KDHE director of public information services. said that test was flawed. "We took some samples of various wells in the area and ran all the samples through the same equipment," he said. Crawford said that one sample with a large amount of dioxane tainted the equipment and caused more damage than they actually did. "In this case, it was the Martin well sample that was wrong," he said. "It was a quality-control problem in the laboratory." He said subsequent tests had failed to discover any dioxane in the Martin well. Dioxane, a solvent, should not be confused with dioxin, which is a byproduct of petroleum-based herbicides. Student Senate overspends on leadership training day Bv Jennifer Schultz Kansan staff writer Because Student Senate spent more than it had anticipated for its annual Leadership Training Seminar, money will be pulled from the Senate special projects fund, a Senate official said. Senate spent $1,800 on last year's seminar, which was held for two days at the Ramada Inn in Topeka, Hall said. Senate held the seminar August 23 at the Holiday Inn Holdome, 200 W. Turnpike Access Road. Aimee Hall, student body vice president, said that Senate estimated it spent $2,500 to $3,000 on the event. Hall said funds for the seminar usually came out of the Senate internal account, an account used for the maintenance and improvements. Because of the unexpected extra cost this year, she said, additional money for the seminar would have to come out of the special projects account, a sub-account of the internal account. "The (special projects) account is usually used by Senate for things Senate wants to do for the student body, like inviting speakers. This account helped give better training to senators to do their job." Hall said. She made Senate decided this year to make the seminar a one-day event so the senators would not have to attend. The cost of hotel accommodation "I honestly didn't know it would be that much over." Hall said. "I think all our costs were justified. A lot of senators at other schools throw money away on end-of-the-year parties, but we wanted to make our senators better prepared for the upcoming year." Student fees fund Senate. She said she thought the cost of the seminar probably would have risen no matter where the seminar was held. Hall said Senate spent most of the money on catering. The seminar included a buffet lunch and dinner for he senators. She said the seminar was well attended early in the day, but the numbers dropped around dinner time. "Lots of people had to work or had other obligations." she said. Hall said that 32 senators attended last year's seminar in Topoka. This week, he said the senator will seminar at various times of the day. Hall estimated. Senate has 85 senators. Mike Schreiner, student body president, said that the seminar was Schreiner said he thought it was crucial to orient Senators at the beginning of the year so they could mandatory but that senators with valid reasons for not attending were excused. "We have a lot of new people on Senate so we had a mock Senate to show them what exactly committees do, how to write legislation, what our relationship is with the University and their prior priorities are this," he said. He said the seminar covered cultural diversity and included an orientation for new senators. Ten percent of senators served on Senate last year. operate more effectively Roger Ross Jr., education senator, said he learned about Senate rules and regulations at the seminar. He said the event was well attended by senators but that he thought attendance slacked off later during the day. "The holdover senators left, I don't think that they were getting anything new from the seminar," he said. Eric Shoup, business senator, said that he benefited from the seminar because he had no Senate experience. "We received information on what is proper wording to make a motion and how to write bills," he said.