CAMPUS AND AREA University Daily Kansan, November 29, 1984 Local nutrition study released Page 10 By JOHN REIMRINGER Staff Reporter People are not starving in Douglas County, but some are hungry and malnourished, a committee of the Douglas County Council on Community Services said in a report made public yesterday. The committee found that in April, 50 people were waiting to receive aid from the Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants and Children, which is administered by the Sacramento County Health Department. The federally financed program provides food and nutrition education to eligible women who are pregnant or nursing, and their children up to five years old. THE COMMITTEE ALSO talked informally with low-income senior citizens in Douglas County, who indicated that they sometimes took money from their food budget during the winter to pay utility bills. The committee, composed of area citizens with knowledge in nutrition and representatives from area social service agencies, began its study in March. On Sept. 1 the committee reported its findings and recommendations to the Council on Community Services. The council, a non-profit organization that coordinates county social services, plans a town meeting early next year to discuss the report, said Caryn Mirriam-Goldberg, a member of the council. Reports from studies on health and shelter also will be discussed at the meeting. Mirrami-Goldberg said. The committee also made several recommendations for discussion at the meeting. EMERGENCY FOOD DISTRIBUTION, which is now handled by several different agencies, should be administered by one agency to prevent duplication of services, the committee recommended. Educational efforts should be made in three different areas. Douglas County schools should have a planned program of nutritional education; myths that the general public has about food stamps should be dispelled; and the staff members of social service agencies that distribute food should be trained to educate recipients about nutrition. Other recommendations by the committee are that more efforts be made to reach senior citizens who might be suffering from nutritional problems, that more volunteers be recruited to assist in local programs, and that organizations promote emphasis on good nutrition and that Douglas County citizens increase their contributions to organizations fighting world hunger. Concordian found guilty of manslaughter By United Press International CONCORDIA — A Concordia man on trial for murder was found guilty yesterday of a lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter in the beating death of a truck driver. The three-day trial of Johnny Anderson ended yesterday in Cloud County District Court when a jury of seven women and five men found Anderson guilty of the lesser charge after 3½ hours of deliberations. The 21-year-old man had been charged with first-degree murder in the Aug. 4 beating death of Concordia truck driver Darrell McCartney, 26. Anderson testified during the trial that he never meant to kill McCarten when he struck him on the back of a tailpipe on the morning of Aug. 4. Betty Peterson, 323 Illinois St., and daughter Silvy Perkins, I, make close contact with a pair of billy goats at the Animal Fantasy Petting Zoo, of Olathe, at the Malls Shopping Center on 23rd Street. The zoo, which offers an opportunity to see and touch exotic animals, will be at the mall through Saturday. It also includes a camel ride. The zoo has stopped through Lawrence on its way to New Mexico where the climate is warmer during the winter. Twlight Bargain Show 4.