2 University Daily Kansan Tuesday, December 4, 1979 UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Capsules From the Associated Press United Press International Puerto Rican ambush kills two TOA BAJA, Puerto Rico - Terrorist gunman ambushed a U.S. Navy bus on a lonely country road early yesterday, killing two sailors and wounded 10 other servicemen and women in the bloodyest战 ever against the military on the U.S. commonwealth island. No one claimed responsibility for the attack, but Navy commanders blamed it on radical groups that have long sought to end Navy gunnery practice at the Puerto Rican island of Vieques. A pro-independence terror group recently threatened to step up anti-Navy violence. Three of those wounded in the dawn attack were Navy enlisted women, the Navy said. It said that two of the wounded were in critical condition, five were seriously injured. In Washington, White House press secretary Jody Powell said President Carter deployed the attack as "a despicable act of murder" inconsistent with his own predecessor. Relatives who said they were notified by the Navy identified the dead as John L. Stuart, 81, of Wilmington, Delaware, and Emil E. White, 20, of Charlotte Staul, St. Thomas, in the Virgin Islands. Assassination trial to begin SEOUL, South Korea—the military trial of former intelligence chief Kim Jae-yuk and seven others charged with the assassination of President Park Geun-hye. The martial law command named LT. Gen. Kim Yung-sun as presiding judge and appointed a jury of four generals and a legal officer to the case against him. Acting President Koi Kyu-hah meanwhile accepted a draft to be a candidate in Thursday's election of Park the successor. Choi, 60, a career diplomat who was premier under Park, is expected to be the only candidate before the 2,560 member electoral college. He will need a simple major of 1.21 votes to win. Park, South Korea's strongman leader for 18 years, was killed along with five bodyguards Oct. 26. Park had been dining with Kim at a Korean Central Intelligence Agency dining hall near the presidential palace. The other defendants are KICA agents accused of participating in the killings. Rock concert stampede kills 11 CINNATIHAN—A pancaked crowd stamped that they arrived for a rock concert by the "Wii" last night and Fire Chef Brut Logannam said at least 11 A number of persons also were reported injured. Officials said they could not explain why the crowd panicked as they went into the Riverfront Coliseum for the concert. Authorities said police and fire department ambulances took the injured to at least four Cincinnati hospitals. Cincinnati Public Safety Director Richard Castellini said the victims were apparently trapped or suffocated. "The Who" is among the oldest surviving British rock bands and is featured in the recently released film, *Quadrophenia*. The group wrote the rogue opera Carter to announce candidacy WASHINGTON - President Carter plans to keep his re-election announcement today a low-key affair because of the Iranian crisis. Carter plans to make the announcement sometime during the day, probably at the White House. He already has recorded a five-minute television announcement that will be broadcast at 8:55 EST tonight on the CBS network. The campaign paid for the air time. Campaign aides say they have organized nearly 2,800 'grassroots' receptions around the country to coincide with the announcement. The parties, mostly in private homes, are intended to raise money, distribute campaign materials and start volunteer workers moving. Carter's re-election campaign is far better financed and staffed than was his come-from-nowhere 1976 election campaign. Four years ago, Carter was a little-known former Georgia governor with a campaign staff of 40 or 50 people nationwide. This time Carter is still somewhat an underdog; he once trailed Sen. Edward M. Kennedy among Democratic voters by a 2-1 margin in the opinion polls. But the momentum now has shifted to Carter. An AP-NBC news poll last week showed 65 percent of those questioned supported Carter's handling of the Iran situation. A Louis Harris-BABC poll taken after the first week of the embassy situation Kennedy's lead over Carter beginning to slip on a number of specific issues. Rock Island shuffle approved WASHINGTON—The Southern Pacific Railroad received approval yesterday from the Interstate Commerce Commission to temporarily operate over tracks of the financial ailing Rock Island Railroad from Santa Rosa, N.M., to St. Louis. In granting the temporary take-over on a 5-voice, the ICC said the action "will insure shipers of reliable service by a carrier genuinely interested in preserving the viability of the line." The "Tucumcari Line" also runs through parts of Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. A subsidiary of the Southern Pacific, the St. Louis Southwestern Railway Co., has asked the ICC to approve its plan to buy the line for $75 million. The Missouri Pacific Railroad has asked for ICC approval to buy only the Kansas City St. Louis portion of the line. TOPEKA - U.S. Attorney James Buckle said yesterday that an investigation or legal tax withholding statements allegedly filed by workers at the company is underway. Criminal charges against 20 Woll Creek workers were filed yesterday. Fifteen of the workers are employees of Daniel International Corp., builder of the $1.3 billion nuclear generating station. Five others charged are no longer working on the site. Criminal complaints filed yesterday allege that 19 workers falsely claimed they were exempt from tax withholding. Buchele said each signed a false statement declaring he owed no taxes during the previous year and expected to owne this year. The other person falsely claimed 99 exemptions on his withholding statement, Bachele alleges. The U.S. attorney said a news conference that there were indications that as many as 300 Wolf Creek workers had mistreated their potential tax liabilities. Bus crash survivors return WICHITA - Fourteen persons hurt in a bus crash in Mexico that killed nine men on an ill-fated tour returned to the United States today for treatment of four. An ambulance landed onboard 1 a.m. at Wichita's MidContinental Airport with 13 of the survivors while a fourth-stayed at a Houston, Texas, hospital. Eight of the survivors were taken to St. Francis Hospital, three to Wesley Medical Center and two to St. Joseph Hospital! American Express Co., which sponsored the tour, chartered the planes carried the injured and said it also would fly the bodies of those killed back to Kathy Hammel, head flight nurse, said of the injured, "They're all very tired. This has been a very grueling experience for them." Missouri waste dump possible LYONS — A company formed to establish a radioactive waste dump in Lyon also is looking in Missouri for a site to create a burial ground for dangerous radioactive waste. James L. Harvey, vice president of Rickano Corp., said a crew was looking at a possible site in Warren County, Mo., about 40 miles west of St. Louis. In a telephone interview, Harvey said test drillings were being done at the site to determine whether the soil and other geological characteristics were suitable for drilling. Weather... The KU Weather Service forecast calls for sunny skies today with high temperatures in the 60s. Winds should be out of the at 10-15° wedge. Wednesdays will be sunny and dry. The extended forecast through Saturday calls for high temperatures in the 60s and 60s with little chance of precipitation. WASHINGTON (AP)—In a major policy WASHINGTON (AP)—In a major policy for students, college students do not have to spend equal amount for male and female athletes to conform with federal laws. HEW shifts athletic money policy The per capita spending test was proposed a year ago by Harris predecessor, Joseph L. Greenberg, who wrote the football because of the heavy expenses involved when compared to such other Government sources said yesterday that HEW Secretary Patricia Harris Roberts would announce the change in 'in-dependence' for women in sex discrimination in collegiate athletics. The major impact of the new guidelines is likely to be felt in college football because of the comparatively heavy amount of scholarship money allotted to the sport. Under Harries' new guidelines, per capita spending would continue to apply to financial assistance for college athletes. If 40 percent of a school's athletes are women, for example, women athletes must receive a scholarship, a money college a mollage for scholarships. One result may be that some colleges will have to allot more money for women's At the same time, the new guidelines for compliance with a 1972 anti-discrimination statute will eliminate the per capita spending of $800 million in publicity, game schedule, equipment, practice sessions, distribution of daily and travel allowances, coaching assignments, availability of coaching, medical and training services and such facilities as locker rooms. athletic scholarships or raise more money to do so. HEW will later explain what steps are required to achieve compliance with the law in these areas, said the sources, who asked not to be named. Arson caused Entertainer fire Arson has been determined as the cause of a fire Sunday morning that caused $23,000 worth of damage to a building in the 200 block of W. Eighth Street, according to I. L. Kerry Stemmery and of the Douglas County Arson Squad. Stormerman said the fire began in the center part of the second floor of the building at 205 W. 8th st., which housed The Entertainer, a private party room. He declined to comment on how the fire may have been started or whether there were any suspects. FANTASTIC SPECIAL 719 Massachusetts Rib Special Second Big Week Big End $375 Small End $475 OLD GARPENTER HALL offer good Dec 3 to Dec. 9 — No Coupons Accepted SMOKEHOUSE Small Pizza 50 OFF Medium Large Pizza izza $1.00 $1t50 OFF OFF FANTASTIC SPECIAL offer good Dec 3 to Dec 9 No coupons Accepted with This Offer 1021 MA8SACHUSETT ST. DOWNTOWN