2 Nation/World University Daily Kansan Tuesday, Nov. 5, 1985 News Briefs Bus skids off bridge; 15 killed in accident CATANIA — A bus traveling on a rain-slick highway near Catania skidded off a bridge and plunged 100 feet into a dry riverbed, yesterday, killing 15 people and seriously injuring six. police said FENTON, Mo. — The 2,800 members of United Auto Workers union Local 110 struck Chrysler's No. 2 plant yesterday in a dispute with the automaker over a local contract. Some victims remained trapped inside the vehicle for more than three hours, in part because no one immediately reported the crash along the deserted stretch of highway. OPEC officials yesterday refuted a statement by an influential Arab oil minister that the cartel's 13 member nations are free to sell their oil at any price. Norway, which is not an OPEC member, warned such a free-for-all would unleash "an unprecedented oil price crash." UAW workers strike Oil production rises In Nicosia, Cyprus, the authoritative Middle East Economic Survey said production by members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries surged by 2 million barrels to 17.3 million barrels a day in October. The strike is the second at the plant in less than a month. Whale nears ocean SAN FRANCISCO — After a morning of playful splashing near the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge in San Francisco Bay, Humphrey the wawayward whale swam two miles closer to the Pacific Ocean yesterday but was still six miles from oen water. Earlier, Alh夹al Abaster of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the 45-ton whale no longer was responding to taped whale sounds that had led him to the bay. From Kansan wires. Delays tap into Social Security WASHINGTON — Congress's balanced budget dispute and the resulting delay in raising the debt ceiling will cost the Social Security trust fund $38 million in interest in the next 10 days, a Treasury swookman said yesterday. United Press International The Treasury dipped into the trust fund Friday for $1 billion so it could meet government obligations. That action was needed because Congress had failed to increase the government's borrowing authority to $2 trillion due to a dispute over a balanced budget rider attached to the debt bill. Treasury says the money it got from Social Security is enough to last through Nov. 14. "We will lose roughly $33 million between Nov. 1 and Nov. 14 (in the Social Security trust fund)." Kim Hoggard, Treasury spokeswoman, said. "And we will need special legislation to put it back." Both the House and Senate versions of the balanced budget amendment appear likely to contain the legislation to make the trust funds whole again. House aides said the maneuver would not actually cost the government money because it would be a shift of money from one pocket, the general fund, to another, the Social Security trust fund. The Senate, which initially approved a balanced budget measure last month, began debate this week on changes and agreed to a mechanism for monitoring the debt if the country appeared headed for a recession. The Senate also reiterated its support for the concept of a minimum corporate tax, calling on the Finance and Ways and Means Committees to write a bill that imposes any income from such a category in a rehearsal date. Also included among the Senate's planned modifications is a plan designed to require some budget cuts this year, rather than waiting until next year, because critics charged the original "Gramm-Rudman" bill was designed to ease reelection bids for incumbent Republicans next fall. Sen. Howard Metzenbaum, D-Ohio, a sponsor of the minimum tax amendment, said, "People of this country are outraged at the fact that so many companies are making so much money and not paying any tax. The balanced budget plan passed by the House allows a deficit of no more than $161 billion in the fiscal year that just started, a number certain to require budget cuts quickly. The House also protected many social programs from cuts as well as with the Senate to exempt Social Security. Treasury officials insist they must have an increase in the federal debt limit by Nov. 14 to continue to pay bills, though House aides said that date was flexible depending on the flow of receipts to the Treasury. Bombs hit 2 Belgian banks United Press International BRUSSELS, Belgium — Suspected communist terrorists yesterday bombed the offices of two leading Belgian banks and slightly wounded a security guard in the latest in a yearlong wave of attacks on businesses and NATO targets. The Combatant Communist Cells claimed responsibility for the bombings of the main office of the Bruxelles Lambert Bank in Brussels and a branch of the Societe Lambert Bank, a leading bank, in Chacoerlo, 40 miles south of the capital. Police sources said the first attack occurred just before 3 a.m. in Brussels when a van packed with explosives blew up outside the Bruxelles Lambert Bank. The Charleroi bombing marked the first daylight assault staged by the CCC, which has carried out a total of 22 attacks on various NATO, commercial and political targets since October 1884. Its most spectacular strike was an attack on NATO oil pipelines in December. The office was extensively damaged, but no one was injured. A tape recorder inside the van had broadcast a warning to clear the area before the vehicle exploded, police said. Ferdinandan Nothomb, Justice Minister Jean Gol and police officials. Prime Minister Wilfried Martens broke off talks on forming a new government following Oct. 13 elections to discuss the attacks with Interior Minister Charles- Eight hours after the Brussels attack, an attache case containing about 10 pounds of TNT exploded in the Charleroi office of the Societe Generale de Banque. Police said the attache case had been chained to a staircase. Authorities, who had been warned of the explosion, had barely completed the evacuation of about 30 customers in the building and the office's 500 employees when the blast occurred. Two persons working in the basement were not alerted, but escaped injury. Guatamalan president elected GUATEMALA CITY — Moderate Vinicio Cerezo claimed victory yesterday in Guatemala's presidential election and asked the second-place candidate to withdraw from a scheduled run-off in the interest of national unity. United Press International pete in the run-off, scheduled for Dec. $\beta$. The runner-up in Sunday's balloting, Jorge Carpio, a millionaire newspaper publisher who heads the center-right Union for a Democratic Center, did not immediately respond to Cerezo's request. But in a television interview, he pleaded to com- Under Guatemalan election law, a run-off between the top two finishers is required if none of the candidates garnered more than 50 percent of the vote About 70 percent of Guatemala's 2.75 million registered voters turned out for the election, aimed at ending 31 years of military rule that began with a CIA-backed coup that toppled an elected president in 1954. With 39 percent of the votes tallied, Cerezo, a moderate Christian Democrat, had 260.348 votes, or 39 Strike ends for dissident percent, the official Supreme Electoral Tribunal said. Carpio received 136,626 votes, or 21 percent of the total. Jorge Serrano Elias, the center-right candidate of the Democratic Party of National Cooperation, was in third place, with 90,734 votes, or 14 percent, and Mario Sandoval Alarcon of the far-right Movement for National Liberation held fourth place, with 45,357 votes, or 7 percent, the tribunal reported. NEWTON, Mass. — Andrei Sakharov's family spoke with the Soviet dissident for the first time in six years yesterday, learning he was allowed to seek medical treatment outside the country. "The isolation of the Sakharovs is broken," said a jubilant Tatiana Yankelevich, the daughter of Sakharov's wife. United Press International The remaining votes were scattered among four other minor candidates. In a 24-minute transcontinental telephone call, the family learned the Nobel laureate ended his hunger strike Oct. 21 — after as long as 43 days — and his wife would be allowed to seek medical treatment in Italy and the United States "He now weighs 72 kilograms (158 pounds)," Yelena,Bonnor, Sakharov's wife, told her daughter and son-in-law. "His normal weight is 80 kilograms (176 pounds). He's gaining one kilo each day." Both Yankelevich and her husband, Efrem, said they believed the Nov. 19-20 summit between President Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev played a role in the Soviets' decision to allow Bonner access to her eye doctor in Italy and heart surgeons in Boston, where several hospitals have offered to perform a bypass operation. Soviet gets okay to go back home United Press International WASHINGTON — A Soviet Army private who sought refuge in the U.S. Embassy in Kabul because he was "unhappy with a soldier's life in Afghanistan" left the American compound yesterday to return home, the State Department said. The department said it released Aleksandr Vasilyevich Sukhanov only after Soviet Ambassador Fikryt Takeyev gave assurances that the 19-yearold soldier would give his wish to remain steadily mediately and would not be punished. Russian-speaking U.S. Embassy officials in Kabul made it clear to Sukhanov he could stay in the embassy as long as he desired and that every effort would be made to grant him political asylum in the United States if he wished, the department said. After four days of negotiations and two meetings with the Soviet ambassador in the presence of American embassy staff, Sukhanov signed a statement in Russian affirming that he had decided "freely, without constraint" to return home. Soviet and Afghan troops surrounded the embassy and shut off the electricity after Sukhanov, one of the more than 100,000 Soviet troops occupying Afghanistan, slipped into the compound Thursday and said, "I don't like this war. I want to go home." Meanwhile, a legal group told a federal appeals court that a Soviet seaman who twice jumped ship near New Orleans was "under duress" when he signed a statement saying he wanted to go home. The group is trying to ston the ship's departure. The Court is considering a request by the Ukrainian-American Bar Association to block Medvid's departure until he is re-interviewed by immigration officials. Andrew Fylypovych of the lawyers' group said government officials violated the law and Medvid's constitutional rights when they returned him to the Soviet freighter without following proper steps for dealing with potential asylum requests. THAT WAS THEM. THIS IS NOW. SABARAH BAOCKO. MUSIC BY MARCUS DEREK. DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY, JUAN RAZ AND PRODUCERS EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS AJAN BEKIN AND MANDAN K. PHILIPS. SCREENPLAY BY EMULID ESTEZRA. BASED ON THE NOVEL BY S.E. HINTON. PRODUCED BY GARY R. LUNDBERG AND ANDY M. O'DWYN. DIRECTED BY CHRISTOPHER CAIN. A PERFORMANCE PICTURE. STARTS FRIDAY NOVEMBER 8TH AT A THEATRE NEAR YOU. 10c DRAWS 25c DRINKS BILL ENGVALL AND THIS NATIONAL CIRCUIT COMEDIAN HAS HAD OUTSTANDING RESPONSE THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY AND IS ONE OF OUR PERSONAL FAVORITES! THE SHOW WILL START EARLIER, AT 8:30 P.M. FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE. 23rd & Ousdahl Southern Hills Mall