12 University Daily Kansan Nation/World Monday, Nov. 4, 1985 Apartheid Groups plan rally for this afternoon By Jennifer Benjamin Of the Kansan staff Students against apartheid will rally at noon today in front of Stauffer-Flint Hall without Chancellor Gene A. Budig, who last week declined an invitation to speak. The rally, sponsored by the Black Student Union, KU Committee on South Africa and the Kansas Political Awareness Committee, will begin with a mock funeral march from the Chi Omega fountain to the lawn in front of Stauffer Flint. Speeches by students will follow the rally's theme, "Aparthid Hits Home." The KU Committee on South Africa, Blacks Against Apartheid, Black Student Union and KU Democrats sent a letter, which was written Wednesday, asking Budig to speak on racism on campus, apartheid and divestment. The letter was signed by Mark Parker, a Lawrence resident and a member of the committee, and Aaron Lucas, Chattanooga, Tenn., senior and a member of the other three groups. Several members of the groups sponsoring the rally said last week that they were disappointed that Budig refused to speak and that they disagreed with his reasons. Members of these groups said their reactions to Budig's letter, which declined the invitation on Thursday, were personal feelings, not group responses. Lucas said people in South Africa were dying because of racial violence and he wanted Budig to address that issue. "He says he's not taking a stand," Lucas said. "He's going to remain neutral. But by not taking a stand, he is taking a stand against divestment. "I appreciate the reply, but I'm disappointed he decided not to speak." Lucas said Budig told them in the letter that their efforts "to increase an understanding of the moral abhence of apartheid ... and to foster abortion on the earth to end apartheid like important contributions to vigorous open forum that is a university." end KU's participation in aparth end KU's participation in aparth by asking the Kansas University Endowment Association to help them do business in South Africa. "If what were doing is good, then why isn't he helping us?" Lucas said. The groups have been working to In his letter, Budig said, "There are people of equal good-will who share a common abhorrence of apartheid but who disagree as to the best, most effective and most efficient strategies for ending apartheid. "While I may have a personal point of view about one or the other of these strategies I do not believe that it is proper for me, as Chancellor, to champion one strategy above another. To do so would be in use position and my office in an inappropriate manner." "We didn't ask him to come out and take a stand. We wanted him to elaborate on more of his opinions. In maintaining a neutral position, he's taking a position against divestment." Dan Parkinson, Scott City graduate student and a member of the committee, said KU governing bodies, such as Student Senate and University Council, had voted for the Endowment Association's divestment. "I think that he has a responsibility to speak." Parkinson said of Budig. "Regardless of his own opinions, he should come out and face us. Jane Ungerman, Lawrence senior and a member of the KU Committee on South Africa, said yesterday that in an April 25 letter the chancellor took a stand against divestment. "As the chancellor, he has the ability to act as a mediator between us and the Endowment Association," Ungerman said. "We would like to see him do that." In his most recent letter, Budig said, "I believe that I can do more to fight racism by articulating your rights to rally and to debate and to organize than I can by entering into a discussion in which my personal point of view is the issue." Listeners donate $55,000 to station KANU reaches goal in fund drive When KANU, the University's FM public radio station, began its second annual fund-raising campaign, "Fall Fanfare," on Oct. 26, station officials helped raise $55,000 by midnight Saturday. By Liz Maggard Of the Kansan staff That goal was reached almost five hours early, Liz Caldwell, KANU development assistant, said yesterday. A final total was not available "We started Saturday morning with $14,800 in donations and reached our goal at 7:20 p.m.," she said. "We raised almost $14,000 Saturday, which, as the number is, the most we've ever collected in one day." "More people become involved with every fund drive we have," he said. Howard Hill, KANU station manager, said the successful drive resulted from a great effort by the staff. Until last year, KANU managed with only one fund drive a year — the "Campaign for Excellence," conducted every spring. Hill said the fall fund drive had become necessary because federal and state support continued to decrease earlier while operating costs continued to increase. Al Berman, KANU director of development, said private donations currently made up about one- third of the station's budget. "Several years ago, donations could be used for discretionary purposes, such as acquiring new programs," he said. "Now, the majority of what we receive in donations goes for day-to-day operating costs." Caldwell said a record $4,300 was pledged by listeners during "Jazz Scene," a show hosted by Dick Wright, associate professor of music history. Almost $2,400 was pledged by donors between 7:00 and 7:20 p.m. "I was stunned at how quickly the pledges came in," Caldwell said. ' Hill said special programming helped make the fund drive successful. "The motivating of people to pledge is a complex problem, and I'm not sure I know all there is to know about it," he said. "But the kind of programming you do can have the people respond to the kind of programs they like." "The Classical Top-40 Countdown," which was initiated during last year's "Fall Fanfare," was a popular part of the fund drive again this year, Hill said. Classical music fans voted for their three favorite musical compositions on ballots provided at the station, in the KANU program guide, in area newspapers and at Baskin-Robbins 31 Flavors Ice Cream stores in Lawrence. Topeka and the Kansas City area. Hill said people who turned in ballots received coupons for free "Schubert" cones or "Ives" cream cones from Baskin-Robbins. Dou Shay, owner of the two Lawrence Baskin-Robbins stores at 925 Iowa St. and 1524 W. 23rd St., said the Schubert and Ives cones actually were sheerbet and ice cream cones and were available in any flavor the coupon-holder wanted. Hill said the names of the cones referred to Austrian composer Franz Schubert and American composer Charles Edward Ives. Rachel Hunter, KANU fine arts director, said more than 1,500 votes were cast by classical music fans. She said Ludwig van Beethoven was the most popular composer on this year's Top-40 list despite a serious challenge from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The appearance of several Mozart pieces on the Top-40 list indicated that the voters might have been influenced by the movie "Amadeus," Hunter said. "Beethoven's Fifth Symphony" was first on the classical hit parade, and his "Ninth Symphony," which was first last year, slipped one notch to second place this year. Ballet mixes new, old Hunter said one confused fan voted for "Ravel's Boloer," although the fan said he didn't know who wrote it. Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog" also received one vote. By Jill white Of the Kansan staff Of the Kansan staff The performance by the Ballet Eddy Toussaint de Montreal on Friday evening created excitement with its mixture of fluid motion, synchronized movement and contemporary and classical ballet. But conflicting responses arose from the 1,015 people who attended the performance in Hoch Auditorium. Some thought the choreography was "smashing," while others thought it "lacked something." "I'm finding some really wonderful moments in the pieces themselves," Linda Muir, visiting instructor in ballet, said during the second intermission. "But I think in the end something's lacking. It's almost too predictable in the timing." Muir also said she thought the dancers were "beautifully trained" but said Toussaint's choreography was stronger in the group movements than in the solo dances. "He's trying to be extremely contemporary but ends up doing classical ballet steps, whereas in the beginning he's exploring move-and-tail, referring to the piece, "Canantes," music by J.S. Bach. In "Cantates," male dancers wore long white skirts that billowed and flaired with each pirouette. The effect was complemented by the chanting music of Bach and reminiscent of monks shrouded in long robes in a monastery. Toussaint said he always had been fascinated with the religious implications in Bach's music and used rhythm to provoke the modern gesture. Jackie Davis, director of the Concert and Chamber Music series, said, "I thought they were an incredibly well-accomplished company — a breath of fresh air. "They danced beautifully, and the choreography was smashing." Muir said "Cantates" had a ballet finale that did not go with the rest of the piece. "Overall, the ballet is very good, but the choreography could make a clearer statement," she said. Toussaint said that in "Souvenance" he was following the music of Quebec composer Diane Juster with both the "purity of the line of ballet and emotional gestures" to create excitement. In addition to "Cantates" and "Souvenance," the ballet de Montreal performed "Missa Creole," music by Los Calchakis and "Concerto En Mouvement," music by Max Bruch. Flocking together John Lechliter/KANSAN Two birds spent part of yesterday afternoon perched on one of the crosses atop St. John the Evangelist Church, 1229 Vermont St. 1