SINCE 1889 Survival of fittest Players gather near Topeka for recreational Darwinism. See page 6. THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN 图 THURSDAY, OCT. 10, 1985, VOL. 96, NO. 34 (USPS 650-640) Cool, wet Details page 3 Treasury loans U.S. $15 billion United Press International WASHINGTON - The Senate approved Republican-backed legislation yesterday to balance the budget by 1991 and sidestepped a fight over a debt ceiling increase by going along with a rare Treasury Department move to temporarily assure government solvency. Wrangling over the balanced budget proposal stalled action for nearly a week on crucial action to keep the government's borrowing authority alive. The stalemate was broken in the early morning hours yesterday after an often testy marathon session. The Treasury warned the Senate earlier in the week that government checks would start bouncing yesterday if action was not taken quickly. Once the budget issue deadlock was broken, however, the Treasury managed to extend its borrowing authority by taking unprecedented action to tap $1 billion from the government. The bank to keep the government solvent Rather than act to officially raise the debt ceiling, the Senate voted to limit the Treasury move, allowing enough money to last through Oct. 18. But the House did not act on the limitation, presumably allowing the Treasury to borrow the entire amount, enough to last through Nov. The Federal Financing Bank, set up to help federal agencies consolidate their selling of bonds, has never been used by the government as a whole. Earlier this week, the Treasury questioned the legality of the move but because of mounting worries, apparently decided to go abroad. Earlier yesterday, the Senate approved the GOP-sponsored balanced budget move with a large number of Democrats in agreement. The balanced budget effort was attached to a yearlong extension of the government's credit line from $1.8 trillion to $2 trillion. "We can no longer afford to do nothing," said Sen. Edward Kennedy. D-Mass, supporting the balanced budget effort, which was approved 75-24 "We are all crying fire' in the overcrowded theater of the federal deficit. We cannot con- See DEBT p. 5, col. 1 Pirates surrender; American killed United Press International PORT SAID, Egypt — Palestinian pirates who held 511 people aboard an Italian luxury liner for 44 hours surrendered yesterday after they killed an elderly, wheelchair-bound American hostage. The four pirates were reported to be in custody, and the White House was "determined to see that those responsible for this honour act were taken by Larry Speakens said last night in Washington. Speakes confirmed that Leon Kinglöhoffer, 69, of New York, a stroke victim who is continued to receive treatment. who took the Achille Lauro Monday off Egypt's Mediterranean coast Kinghoffer's 58-year-old wife, Marilyn, who also was among the hostages, was not harmed, Speakes said. "While we welcome the release of the ship, we are saddened and outraged by the brutal killing of an innocent American." Speakes said, but he emphasized that the prosecution of the pirates was the Egyptian government's responsibility. In a ship-to-ship call by Nicholas Veliotes, the U.S. ambassador to Egypt, to the U.S. Em bassy in Cairo, Veliotes said Klingheffer was killed Tuesday afternoon while the Achille Lauro was off the Syrian port of Tartus. The U.S. ambassador said the gunmen threatened to kill a second passenger, Mildred Hodes, and forced the captain to tell the Syrians that two hostages had died. In Rome, Italian Prime Minister Bettino Craxi said Gerardo de Rosa, the captain of the cruise ship, told him after the two-day hijacking ended that Klinghoffer was missing, may have been killed by his captors and his body was found. "He no body had been found," aboard the ship. Palestine Liberation Organization leader Yasser Arafat told ABC News in an interview, "I offer my condolences, the condolences of the PLO, to his family." The most ambitious act of piracy in a quarter of a century ended at 5 p.m. (11 a.m. EDT), nearly 44 hours after the heavily armed Palestinians seized the 23,629-ton Achille Lauro off the coast of Port Said and threatened to kill the hostages one by one unless Israel freed 50 Palestinian prisoners. The pirates said they belonged to a faction of the Palestine Liberation Front. Arafat's PLO and the Syrian-based PLF, which opposes Arafat, denied any involvement in the hijacking. Lawrence firefighters Israel Bermudez and Dwane Binoperstaff extinished a car fire at Fieldhouse, and Naismith drives. See story, page 11. Jacki Kelly/KANSAN No trial date set in players' case Attorney asserts KU seeks dismissal By Mike Snider Of the Kansan staff University of Kansas lawyers took action Tuesday to have a suit filed by two football players against the University dismissed, an lawyer for KU tailback Lynn Williams said yesterday. Vickie Thomas, university general counsel, also filed a motion for a change of venue that would move the trial from Johnson County to Douglas County District Court, said J. Schaefer-Williams, the attorney for Williams. The two new motions will be heard Oct. 16 in Johnson County, he said. The University filed a motion in Johnson County for dismissal of the suit on the grounds that Williams and linebacker Dane Griffin failed to state a cause of action, McWilliams said. Thomas could not be reached for comment last night. "I guess they are saying that the players have no constitutional right to play football," he said. "Thus, there is no need for the players to receive due process." McWilliams and Ed Collier, attorney for Griffin, are taking deposits. "Everybody that we've talked to is saying, 'We didn't do it. Someone else did it.'" he said. If the University does try to delay the trial, he said, it does not matter to Williams as much now as it did earlier in September. "We've got the players playing. So they (the University) can play whatever games they want to." McWilliams said. Lynn Williams has played in the last two KU football games. He rushed for 62 yards on 10 carries and caught 2 passes for 24 yards in Saturday's game against Eastern Illinois. Before Thomas filed for the change of venue and the dismissal motions, a meeting for both parties to discuss Griffin also played in Saturday's game. He went to the Florida State game on Friday. issues was set for Oct. 16, McWilliams said. The two players were declared eligible to play under head football coach Goffriedf's discretion in an order signed on Sept. 28 by Johnson County District Judge Phillip L. Woodworth. Williams, Griffin and offensive guard Doug Certain filed suit against the University on Sept. 19. They received a restraining order from the court that kept the University from declaring the players inevitable. The players said in their suit the University improperly advised them about academic matters. University officials had declared them academically ineligible for not meeting the National Collegiate Athletic Association's satisfactory progress rule. Williams and Griffin are eligible to play unless the court rules otherwise On Sept. 20, the court modified the order so that the University could not be found in contempt of court if the University did not play in the Indiana State game. A trial date was set for Sept. 27 in court action on Sept. 24. The court also agreed to hear a change of venue motion from the University on that date. In but court action on Sept. 25, two days before the trial was to take place, Gil Dyck, dean of educational services, was dropped from the suit and Certain removed himself from the suit. At that time, both parties decided to drop the Sept. 27 trial date and collect evidence for the trial. Now both must agree to a new trial date. KU fights Detroit's efforts to play game By Liz Maggard topThe University of Detroit Titans apparently don't think so. They want to play the KU Jayhawks — ranked in the top 10 by The Sporting News in its pre-season poll — in Detroit on Jan. 6. But KU would prefer to play someone else. Most basketball teams probably would breathe a little easier if they could avoid playing a nationally top-ranked opponent. Of the Kansan staff On Tuesday, arguments on a request by the University of Detroit for an injunction to force KU to play ball were heard by Judge Susan D. Borman of the Wayne County Court Circuit in Detroit. Gary Hunter, KU assistant athletic director who attended the hearing, said yesterday that Borman's decision on the injunction could be issued as early as Wednesday or Thursday next week. However, he said, Borman indicated she might KU Athletic Department officials had originally requested that the Jan. 6 game be canceled or postponed so that KU could schedule a proposed game with the University of Louisville KU does "Asking for postponements or cancellations of games is routinely done by universities all over the country," Hunter said. "Usually, the other schools agree because they know they might have to ask for the same thing from someone else later on down the line." ask for additional information from the two schools' attorneys before handing down her Hunter said KU's request was not unique in college sports. Hunter said the University of Detroit filed its breach of contract suit in Wayne County Circuit Court after Federal Judge Avern Cohn dismissed most of a similar suit filed in the U.S. 6th District Circuit Court. Eastern District of Michigan. Hunter and Anthony Gaucher, a Grand Rapids, Mich. attorney representing KU in the suit, declining to accept the offer. Hunter, who is also an attorney, said the disputed contract contained a clause allowing either school to unilaterally withdraw from the agreement. He said the contract specified a set dollar amount of damages to be awarded to the other school under those circumstances. He also said under the terms of the contract, University of Detroit officials could ask a jury to assess additional damages if they thought their loss was above the specified amount. Hunter said KU had honored the contract by offering to pay Detroit for the loss of profit it would suffer from cancellation of the game. He said KU also offered to play a game in Detroit during the 1986-87 season. Rain inspires sleep By Bob Tinsley Of the Kansan staff The recent wet weather seems to have put one all-consuming thought into the minds of many KU students — sleep. "It made me sleep all the way through my first classes today." Mike Martin, Lawrence junior, said yesterday. "It's just one of those times when you look out the window and say, 'No, I'm not going to class.' " However, Martin decided to venture into the rain and attend class last night. "d rather be home getting ready to watch the St. Louis game," he said. According to the National Weather Service Office in Topeka, flash flood warnings posted yesterday will remain in effect today. Tomorrow's forecast calls for a 30 percent chance of rain with temperatures in the mid-60s. Showers should taper off this after - noon and temperatures will reach the upper 40s. Students aren't the only ones who contemplate staying in bed in rainy weather — teachers do, too. "It would be a good day to stay home and sleep," said Maggie Dale. Manhattan graduate student. "I don't get that chance very much." Dale said she taught two classes at the Anplied English Center. Actually, I think this weather makes my students sleepy. she said Ward Lawson, Springfield. Mo. graduate student, finds the weather a bit depressing. "I can take it for a couple of days, See WEATHER p. 5, col. 4 The Student Senate last night killed a bill that would have limited single expenditures by the student body president and vice president to $1,000 unless approved by the Student Senate Executive Committee. Student Senate kills bill on spending limit By Bonnie Snyder Of the Kansan staff The Senate also killed a bill that would have allowed students to vote this fall on whether to move future Senate elections to April. The Senate met last night for 5½ hours and discussed 10 bills. Before the bill was killed, it was amended by the Senate to let the Student Senate, rather than the student body, vote on the change, and to move elections to October rather than April. The spending bill's limit on presidential spending was changed Oct. 2 in the Senate Finance Committee to $1,000 from $500. The bill was further amended at last night's meeting to give the power to the whole Senate rather than just the House. The Senate then voted to kill the bill. Phillip Duff, architecture and urban design senator, said last night he was not satisfied with many of the Senate's decisions. "They copped on on every controversial bill, especially in light of the coming elections," he said. Senators said the length of the meeting was unusual for this year See SENATE, p. 5, col. 1