Monday, Sept. 16, 1985 Nation/World University Daily Kansan 9 3 investors express interest in UPI sale United Press International WASHINGTON — An Indiana publisher, a Houston developer and a former CIA official say they represent separate investor groups which are bidding to buy United Press International. Investment advisers for the 78-year-old wire service, operating under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, also expect a number of other responses to a Monday news conference of interest from would-be buyers. During a court hearing Friday, Richard Levine, a bankruptcy attorney for UPI, said the initial response to a company prospectus offering, which was circulated to more than 100 parties has been extremely gratifying. Richard Beurt SerVaas, chairman of the Indianaapolis-based Curtis Publishing Co., acknowledged in a telephone interview last week that he is representing a previously unidentified investor group that submitted a $13.9 million to $17.9 million offer July 1. That offer received no formal response and was allowed to expire on July 15. SerVaas, who with his wife, Cory, bought and revived the Saturday Evening Post in 1971, said they would invest in UPI as individuals, not on behalf of Curtis Publishing. He declined to identify the other member or members of his group. COMMONWEALTH THEATRES GRANADA Daily 8:00 7:25 9:30 Wed. Jun. 2-35 SerVaas is a publisher and industrialist who serves as president of the Indianapolis City Council and as head of the state commission for higher education. Joseph Russo, a Houston developer, said he was assembling a nationwide group of investors to try to purchase the wire service. "We will be one of the more serious bidders," he said. PEE-WEE HERMAN PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE Russo, who said his company manages a portfolio of property valued at nearly $1 billion, said he saw UPI as an opportunity to become involved in what he called an information utility company." Russos he had dropped ideas of moving the wire service's headquarters from Washington to Houston to help boost the Texas economy and fill some of his vacant office space. Max Hugel, a New Hampshire businessman who served as an assistant CIA director during President Reagan's first term and as a Reagan-Bush campaign adviser, said recently he also planned to submit an offer. THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY Daily *5:00 7:30 9:30 Sat.-Sun. *2:45 COMPROMISING Posting Daily *5:15 7:25 9:25 Sat.-Sun. * 3:00 *5:15 7:35 9:35 Sat.-Sun. *3:00 A New Century Theater in New York Ten Wag 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Hugel said he was involved in many communications companies and he thought UPI was probably the best information service available. He said his group planned to provide $5 million to $10 million in operating money and hoped to improve UPI's marketing approach, but declined to say how much he would offer. Sat.-Sun, 12:20 ATMIA 2 KAREN MICHAELS NICHOLSON TURNER PRIZZI'S HONOR Daily *4:45 7:15 9:40 - Twilight Bargain Show End the lose/gain game. A Diet Center you can lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks. be 2 sizes trimmer in 3 weeks. It's quick. it's safe. And perhaps best of all, you won't see the weight you lost come back. we can show you how. now. get personal consultation free. Call today. 841-DIET (3438) 935 Iowa Street Hillcrest Medical Center DOUBLE FEATURE Rent VCR 2 Movies SMITTY TV / DVD / MP3 / MP4 MINI SD/MP3 MINI HDTV 15:30 - 18:30 comprehensive health associate • free pregnancy tests • outpatient abortion services • gynecology counseling • gynecology Overland Park, KS/913-345-1400 The best in party pics! Call us for your next party. 843-5279 UNIVERSITY PHOTOGRAPHY Place a Kansan want ad Duarte emerges from isolation United Press International "If those who carried out the terrible kidnapping of my daughter were trying to torment a father, who also happens to be the president of the republic, they certainly succeeded. SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador — President Jose Napoleon Duarte, appearing drawn and tired, emerged from isolation yesterday and announced to kidnappers of his daughter "there is absolutely no moral reason for harming me this way." Duarte made his first public appearance since last Tuesday's kidnapping of Ismael Guadalupe Duarte Duran, 35, to address a celebration marking El Salvador's 164th anniversary of independence from Spain. "I am speaking to you under an enormous weight of indescribable sorrow to fulfill my duty as president," said Duarte, tears welling in his eyes. "I say, especially to those who violated the most sacred part of me, my love, for my children, there is absolutely no moral reason to harm me in this way," said Duarte, visibly strained and tired from the week of no news about her whereabouts. The president, who took office 15 months ago, said he was satisfied he had met the challenge to try to resolve six years of bitter civil war. Duarte opened two sets of peace talks last autumn with rebel leaders and his Christian Democrat party won a large majority in March congressional elections. "If the kidnappers wanted to place a terrible punishment on the president, perhaps I would deserve this, but this is an insult and an affront to the Salvadoran people that elected me." Communications Minister Julio Adolfo Rey-Prendes, meanwhile, said although crank calls were received about the kidnapping of the woman, no contact with the abductors had been established. The daughter and another woman were abducted by gunmen who killed one of her bodyguards and severely wounded another. "I cannot confirm any official contact with the kidnappers," the minister said, responding to questions about news reports that the government had received contacts with the kidnappers. "As always in these instances, some people call for pleasure. Some said they were members of the FMLN, but it may just be drunks or druggers," as no demands for their release were made, the minister said. The callers never identified themselves beyond saying they were members of the Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front (FMLN), the umbrella group of leftist guerrillas fighting to overthrow Duarte's government, he said. Titanic records refute treasure myth United Press International RANDOLPH, N.J. — The president of the Titanic Historical Society said yesterday that the recent discovery of the ocean liner's cargo manifest dispelled the myth that it sank with a treasure of jewels and gold bullion, now lying deep below the ocean. Charles Haas, the society president, said the ship's cargo manifest, found five months ago, did not list bulion, and any jewels aboard belonged to passengers and probably were lost as the ship went down. He said he became aware of the manifest last month. mundane, pedestrian commercial cargo," Haas said. The cargo included raw feathers, linen, straw, hatter's fur, tissue, auto parts, leather, rabbit hair, elastics, hair nets and refrigerating apparatus, he said. "It's all like that — totally WOMEN'S SUPPORT GROUP who-cares type_material," Haas said. The wreck of the Titanic, which sank 73 years ago after hitting an iceberg in the North Atlantic, was found Sept. 1. The 1,400 tons of cargo, "a very small amount for a ship that size," was assessed in 1912 for $400.00. The Emily Taylor Women's Resource Center invites you to join other KU women to discuss topics of personal interest to you! Organizational Meeting For more information, contact Kim Stryker at the Women's Resource Center. 218 Strong. 864-3552. Sept.17 7-9 p.m. Regionalist Room Kansas Union ATTENTION PRE-MED STUDENTS Sept. 17, 7 p.m. There will be a meeting for Juniors and Seniors interested in applying to medical school: - * * Big 8 Room, Kansas Union Important information. Representatives from K.U. Medical School will attend.Don't miss it. Representatives from K.U. Medical School will come to K.U. to visit with students on an individual basis on: Sept. 23 Sept. 30 --- Oct. 7 Oct. 14 Oct. 21 To make an appointment, see the Pre-Med Secret tary in 106 Strong Hall. Paid Advertisement REMEMBERING THE DEAD Source: The Observer, 29 Sept., 1982 "Hundreds and hundreds (of Israeli soldiers) did not feel strong enough to complain to their superiors (about the massacre). This is because we have come to disregard the Palestinians as people." Uri Avneri, former Kenesset member. "A tiny girl of four is spotted by the killers scratching in the rubble of her home, searching for her mother. She never knew what hit her. A dozen bullets have shattered her frail spine." Sabra & Shatila, Safa' Zaitoun "The doctors asserted that Israeli tanks and artillery took part in some stages of the attack and that Christian militiamen moved easily through Israeli lines into the camps." New York Times, Sept. 19, 1982 The General Union of Palestinian Students wish to commemorate the massacre of Sabra and Shatila, three years after the tragedy. More than unarmed Palestinian civilians were murdered on Sept. 16 and 17 in 1982. We attempt to illustrate the horror of human brutality hoping it to be a deterant for future inhumane treatment of all humans, a classification that includes Palestinian people. The General Union of Palestinian Students at KU will organize a silent march tomorrow at 11 a.m. in front of the Kansas Union. Paid Advertisement