TODAY'S WEATHER: Showers and thunderstorms with a high of 65. INSIDE: KU joins the fight against the spread of the West Nile virus TALK TO US: Contact Kursten Phelps or Leila Schuttes at (785) 864-4810 or editor@kansan.com KANSAN THE STUDENT NEWSPAPER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 10,2001 WWW.KANSAN.COM ISSUE 33 VOLUME 112 Ex-faculty member files lawsuit against Regents, Med Center By Paul Smith Kansan staff writer A former faculty member at the University of Kansas Medical Center has filed a lawsuit against the Med Center in the U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Kan. U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Kan. Fred Whitehead, an associate professor of family medicine who worked at the Med Center for 22 years, claimed in the lawsuit filed on Oct. 1 that he had been deprived of his civil rights when his employment was terminated on June 30 of 2000. "I have no quarrel with the University of Kansas, to which I devoted nearly a quarter century of my life," Whitehead said. he earned nearly a quarter century of my life. I remember, he said his lawsuit was directed at the University adminis- tor from the University. Whitehead said the basis of his lawsuit was due process. Whitehead said the business officer "Upon my promotion to associate professor in July of 1999. I should have been given a three-year contract," Whitehead said. "I was kept on an annual contract, in violation of Regents policy." The defendants named in the lawsuit include the Kansas State Board of Regents, Deborah Powell, executive dean and vice chancellor for clinical affairs of the Med Center, and Donald Hagen, executive vice chancellor of the Med Center. John McFadden, associate general counsel for the University, said his office had yet to be served with a lawsuit filed by Whitehead and his attorneys from the Sanders, Simpson, Fletcher and Smith law firm. McFadden said it would be impossible to comment on the plaintiff's complaint without seeing the lawsuit. Timothy Daaleman, associate professor of family medicine, worked with Whitehead for about eight years. "Fred was a longstanding faculty member, and actually was in charge of a preceptor program that put fourth-year medical students out in rural assignments for practical experience," Daaleman said. Daaleman said. He said he had no knowledge of Whitehead's alleged difficulties at the Med Center. The lawsuit states that Whitehead is seeking reinstatement as an associate professor, in addition to relief for costs and attorney fees and any other relief deemed just and equitable by the courts. No trial date has been set. Contact Smith at 864-4810 U.S. retaliation prompts mixed campus reactions of fear, disapproval By Eve Lamborn Kansan staff writer Although the military strikes are occurring half a world away, members of the University community are being affected by the United States' decision to bomb Afghanistan. Mansoor Shaffie, Lenexa junior, said he had family members in Pakistan, where massive riots erupted in response to the U.S. bombing campaign. the U.S. bombing campaign "Naturally I'm worried about them," he said of his aunt and grandparents living in Pakistan. grandparents living in the U.S. Shaffie said he had not spoken with them since the U.S. started the air strikes on Sunday, but he did not think they were in any direct danger. He said he thought the decision to start bombing was premature and the United States should investigate the situation more. gate the situation Philip Schrodt, professor of political science, also said he thought the decision to start bombing came too early. He said the bombing campaign would not accomplish much, plus it carried the possibility of hitting the wrong targets. “It's not clear when we finish the strikes that we will be able to do anything about Osama bin Laden that we weren't able to do before,” he said. “There’s not much accomplished militarily.” Schrodt said the bombing campaign also made it more difficult for the United States to form an international coalition to fight terrorism because other countries might see this as another example of the United States throwing its weight around. He said the U.S. gained support from the international community by not retaliating. "Whatever benefit we had by holding off is gone," he said. Carol Dias de Silva, Rio de Janiero, Brazil, sophomore, said the decision to start bombing did not surprise her. "I was expecting something like that," she said. "Of course, I'm afraid of retaliation." Abby Huckvale, Winfield junior, said she felt the consequences of the bombing could be good or bad. quercies of the goals they have set, then it's a good thing," she said. "But, if we don't get the leaders, then it's a bad thing." Voucher fraud examined Contact Lamborn at 864-4810 Faulty bookkeeping blamed for entertainment expenses found in University audit By Jay Krail Kansan sports editor The attorney for former Williams Fund director Scott McMichael acknowledged yesterday that McMichael's entertainment expenses had been evaluated by a KU Public Safety Office investigation for possible embezzlement. Bill Skepnek, McMichael's attorney, also said he thought that vouchers, which had been submitted for $8,324 in expenses that were suspected fraudulent, were a result of improper bookkeeping by the University of Kansas Athletic Corporation. He said McMichael had done nothing wrong and that KUAC had not been diligent about recording his expenses. "As far as we are concerned, this thing is about proper accounting," Skepnek said. "It's really an unfortunate thing to Scott, who's a longtime KU guy who is being publicly pillared over this." McMichael resigned Aug. 10, the same day KUAC filed a report with the Public Safety Office stating that a University of Kansas audit had discovered the possible embezzlement. McMichael cited personal and family reasons for his resignation. He had not given prior notice. Skepnek said that because he did not have access to the investigation's report, he did not know whether the fraudulent vouchers had been submitted by McMichael or by another employee. "KUPD is disputing some of these expense items. I don't know that the $8,000 relates to that," Skepnek said. The public safety office has declined to identify a suspect in the embezzlement, which it reports took place between Aug. 13, 1999 and Aug.2,2001. Douglas County District Attorney Christine Kenney said she could not comment on the content of the Public Safety Office's report. She said she received the report Monday and hoped to complete her review by the end of this week. Lt. Schuyler Bailey of the Public Safety Office said the office had completed its investigation and was waiting to see if the district attorney would need additional information. Doug Vance, director of sports information for the Athletics Department, declined to comment. Contact Krall 864-4858 Lenexa residents Megan Moxley (left) and Anna Rebottaro examine their maps inside the X-Fish corn maze, 1446 E. 1800 Rd. The maze — named for the fish it resembles from an aerial view — has two watch towers that people can use to check their bearings if they become lost. Corn maze popularity increases No safety regulations exist for the farm field creations, but owners assure patrons there's no need to worry By Kelley Weiss and Jessica Tims Specials to the Kansan Being lost in a corn field may be fun, but if Halloween fright turns into a real nightmare, don't count on county safety codes to protect you. Keith Dabney, Douglas County Zoning and Building Code director, said there were no set regulations on corn mazes, which have grown in popularity in Douglas County during the fall season. season. "It's not a structure," Dabney said. "It's just corn." approval but the county Richard Strong, owner of the Haunted Corn Maze, said the danger of a fire wasn't a major concern. He also said the county watched the maze's fire codes, security, sanitation issues and parking. He said a prospective business could obtain a temporary business permit after receiving approval from the county commission. Eugene Westerhouse, Eudora Township Trustee in charge of 20 to 30 volunteer fire fighters, presented concerns about emergency vehicle accessibility at a recent county commission meeting. The only complaint about the Haunted Corn Maze, 1919 N. 1500 Rd. in Eudora, was from a neighbor complaining about loud noise. "I just want my fire trucks to be able to get in." he said. in, he said The 10-acre X-Fish corn maze, 1446 E. 1800 Rd. in Eudora can take an hour or more to go through. Maze owner John Pendleton said a staff member patrolled the maze with a two-way radio. He said a first aid kit was in the maze. Both owners said they did not have an emergency action plan. They said that the mazes were made of corn, so if people needed to exit they could step out of the maze. At the 8-acre Haunted Corn Maze, which takes about 15 minutes to complete, Strong said three to four emergency exits exist. Strong said customers were given flashlights at night and that the actors in the maze kept an eye on them. Pendleton and Strong suggested that customers concerned about their safety while in a maze take their own safety precautions. For a related story on haunted houses see page 3a "This summer a 90-year-old woman told me before entering the maze that she probably wouldn't be able to make it all the way through." Pendleton said. "She had a whistle with her and told me that when she was done, she would blow the whistle. I had the golf cart ready and near by when she whistled, and it ended up working well." ended up working with Kendra Buscho, Denver sophomore, said she recently went to the X-Fish corn maze with some of her sorority sisters. She said she felt safe visiting Pendleton's maze. sure visiting "His family runs it, and they were really friendly," she said. I don't see him evading safety codes to make a profit. It's a high-class operation." The X-Fish is open through the end of October from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays; 8 a.m. to dusk on Saturdays; and 1 p.m. to dusk on Sundays. The Haunted Corn Maze, which doesn't sell tickets after 10 p.m., is open during the day and becomes a haunted maze after dusk. INSIDETODAY Contact Weiss and Tims at 864-4810 WORLD NEWS ... 6A HILLTOPICS ... 8A WEATHER ... 6B CROSSWORD ... 6B COMING IN TOMORROW'S KANSAN NEWS: Football players Mario Kinsey and Reggie Duncan make appear in court for theft charges. SPORTS: Volleyball team faces No. 2 Nebraska Cornhuskers The University Daily Kansan is the student newspaper of the University of Kansas. The first copy is paid through the student activity fee. Additional copies of the Kansan are 25 cents. Subscriptions can be purchased at 119 Stauffer-Flint Hall.