2A - THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN NEWS IN BRIEF TUESDAY,SEPT.4,2001 CAMPUS City OKs renovations; fraternity back at home Members of Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity, 1116 Indiana St., got the OK to move back into their house Friday afternoon, said Dan Shufton, Chicago junior and fraternity member. He said Barry Walthall, city inspections supervisor, said the house was now up to code. House members began moving in 2 p.m. Friday. The house was shut down about two weeks ago after the city received a complaint about the house's condition. Members were living with friends and in hotels around town, Shuffan said. He said the fraternity made electrical repairs and redirected wires before members could move back in. "It's good to be home," Shuftan said Local club evacuated; sprinklers dampen fun Two hundred people were forced to leave Abe & Jake's Landing, 8 E. Sixth St., at 14:0 a.m. Saturday after a sprinkler went off and flooded a stairwell. Owner Mike Elwell said he was unsure what happened, but he said he thought someone had jumped up and broken a sprinkler head, starting the flood. He said it took about 10 minutes to turn the water main off. Elwell said he didn't have a damage estimate yet. He said the wet rugs were still being pulled up and dried as of yesterday afternoon. The incident had been given to the police, and Elwell said he thought the police had a suspect. Courtney Craigmile NATION Former homeless man wins big at McDonald's HOLLY HILL, Fla. — A former homeless day laborer had a happy meal at a McDonald's during the weekend. McDonald's corporate managers awarded Patrick Collier with a $1 million prize they said was randomly given out as part of the restaurant chain's effort to restore consumer confidence in its sweepstakes promotions. managers approached Collier, 35, and his fiancée, 29-year-old Sandi Fabian, as they sat down just after 10 a.m. on Saturday to have breakfast. McDonald's said the restaurant in Holly Hill, about five miles north of Daytona Beach, was one of five selected at random to distribute five $1 million grand prizes. Fifty people will also be given $100,000 awards during the giveaway. McDonald's announced the promotion after an FBI investigation last month, which found that an employee of a marketing company contracted to run McDonald's Monopoly game allegedly stole more than $13 million in winnings. NATION&WORLD Nebraska governor wants child visitation program changed The Associated Press YORK, Neb. — Once a month, Jessica Davis spends five consecutive nights with her 2-year-old daughter — behind prison walls. She is just one of dozens of mother prisoners who participate in an overnight visitation program that Gov. Mike Johanns wants changed after a convicted murderer requested that her 6-year-old stay overnight with her. On Thursday, Johanns took away Kimberly Faust's right to have her son sleep over, saying the policy will no longer apply to inmates who face no possibility of parole. The move is to take effect within two weeks. Johanns said the overnight program has merits for women who will be paroled. Last week he said that the policy at the Nebraska Correctional Center for Women in York would be changed to prohibit women serving life sentences from participating, and he ordered a review of the entire overnight program to begin today. Davis, 19, serving up to two years in prison for second-degree assault, said she was bothered that some children would not be allowed to spend the night with their mothers. She and her daughter read books, watch movies, play with stuffed animals and enjoy an outdoor playground during the sleepovers. "It's given me that chance to be able to bond with my daughter," she said. "It gives her that security knowing that I am OK." But Bruce Faust doesn't want his ex-wife, Kimberly Faust, to enjoy such a luxury with their 6-year-old son. Faust was convicted in November of killing her estranged husband's girlfriend, Shannon Blum, and a passer-by who tried to save her. She wants the 6-year-old to stay overnight with her at the prison, where she is serving two life sentences without the possibility of parole. Bruce Faust has custody of the couple's two sons, ages 6 and 11. He has said he does not object to the boys visiting their mother but does not think the 6-year-old should stay overnight. U.N. official seeks more extraditions Harold Clarke, prison director, said the program was the first of its kind in the country and has a proven track record. The Associated Press BELGRADE, Yugoslavia — The chief U.N. war crimes prosecutor went to Yugoslavia yesterday to seek more extraditions of high-profile suspects, including Serbia's figurehead, President Milan Milutinovic. As Carla Del Ponte landed in Belgrade, more than 1,000 supporters of war crimes suspect Slobodan Milosevic gathered downtown, chanting "Freedom for Slobodan!" and denouncing the U.N. tribunal they perceive as anti-Serb. Milosevic was extradited to the court in the Netherlands in June. Del Ponte's daunting mission is to make the new, pro-democracy leadership in Belgrade turn in all 15 men indicted for alleged atrocities in the 1998-99 crackdown on ethnic Albanians in Kosovo and two previous Balkan conflicts. Most of the suspects are at large in Serbia, the main republic of the Yugoslav federation. the main republic of the Yugoslav Republic. Serbian officials suggested they will press demands that the U.N. court indict Croats, Bosnian Muslims and Kosovo Albanians they suspect of war crimes against Serbs in the Balkan wars of the past decade. Most of the suspects indicted by the court have been ethnic Serbs. New President Vojislav Kostunica and others have been reluctant to comply with the tribunal's demands despite a major change in the political climate since Milosevic was ousted as Yugoslavia's president in a popular revolt last October. "Del Ponte can demand whatever she wants, but the Serbian government doesn't have to discuss it," Serbian Justice Minister Vladan Batic told independent B-92 radio. Del Ponte will start official meetings today to urge the handover of Milutinovic and others, including former Yugoslav Army commander Col. Gen. Dragoljub Ojdanic, former Serbian Interior Minister Vlajko Stojiiljkovic and former Deputy Prime Minister Nikola Sainovic. Serbia's Prime Minister, Zoran Djindjic, supported Milosevic's extradition. Wind at park wildfire challenges firefighters WEST GLACIER, Mont. — Firefighters and homeowners prepared for the worst yesterday as forecasts of winds up to 65 mph threatened to fan a 48,000-acre wildfire in Glacier National Park. "We've got a real interesting day ahead of us," Jeff Whitney, a deputy incident commander, said as crews continued battling the blaze. Favorable weather during the weekend helped more than 1,000 firefighters gain some ground on the blaze. Although still considered only 5 percent contained, officials said northeast winds pushed flames away from buildings and homes along Lake McDonald that had been in danger. "It looks bad and it's going to get worse," fire information officer Joe Hart said. The lightning-sparked blaze began Aug. 16 near Whitefish. It doubled in size Friday and spread across the western border of Glacier National Park. It pushed east toward Lake McDonald, home to a number of park lodges, campgrounds and private properties. Whitney estimated about 80 buildings around the lake remained threatened by the fire. Bush shares concern with union workers KAUKAUNA, Wis. — Surrounded by workers in hard hats, President Bush celebrated Labor Day with equal parts concern and confidence about the state of the American economy. The president and first lady Laura Bush took a trip outside Washington yesterday to test the balancing act that Bush will undertake when Congress gets back to work this week. Confronted with a shrinking budget surplus, second thoughts about his tax cut, and an economy at near standstill, Bush tried to soothe the blue-collar worries. Bush told carpenters' union members at a rally that, even though unemployment statistics remain healthy, he is worried about the nation's paltry economic growth and about individual workers who have been laid off. "I worry about the families affected," Bush said. "I'm concerned about the children whose dad or mom might not be able to find work right now." Bush's morning stop at the Northern Wisconsin Council of Carpenters training center, and a later picnic with Teamsters in Detroit were the latest installations of Bush's promise to all working Americans that he will do what he can to revive the nation's economy. ON THE RECORD A KU faculty member reported a theft from Wescoe Hall between 11:10 and 11:20 a.m. Thursday, according to a KU Public Safety Office report. A brown leather women's wallet was stolen, as well as its contents, which included several credit cards, a KUID, an insurance card, a library card, a driver's license and $B. The wallet and its contents were valued at $72. A 68-year-old KU student reported a stolen calculus textbook from Snow Hall between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. Aug. 28, according to a KU Public Safety Office report. The item was valued at $118. Two 18-year-old KU students were involved in a collision at 15th Street and Engel Road at 8:27 p.m. Wednesday, according to a KU Public Safety Office report. The two students were stopped at opposing stop signs on Engel Road, and as one of the students, who was riding on a moped, proceeded to go straight, the other failed to yield and turned left. The student on the moped received minor scrapes and refused medical attention. The driver of the other vehicle was cited for failure to yield right of way and for no proof of insurance. A 25-year-old KU student reported a burglary and theft of Student Housing Department property from Grace Pearson Scholarship Hall between 11:30 p.m. Aug. 28 and 8:30 a.m. Aug. 29, according to a KU Public Safety Office report. A Nintendo 64, Sony PlayStation 2 and game controllers were stolen. The items were valued at $680. according to a KU Public Safety Office report. A KUID, bus pass, driver's license and $11 were stolen. The $11 An 18-year-old KU student reported theft from Edkahl Dining Commons between 9 and 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, student number 401 student lost his wallet between 9 and 10: a.m. Thursday in the 2300 block of Lowell Drive, Lawrence police said. The student drove from his residence with his wallet on the roof of his car. He returned to his home but could not find the wallet. The wallet's value was $10. Golf clubs owned by two KU students were stolen between 5 p.m. Aug. 20 and 11:30 a.m. Aug. 21 from the residence of one of the students in the 4400 block of Adam, Lawrence police said. An unknown suspect entered an open garage and stole two sets of clubs. The items were valued at $1,800. ON CAMPUS The department of art and design will sponsor the MFA thesis exhibition today at the department of art and design. Call 864-4401. - Hashinger Arts Council will sponsor the Hippie Freak Fest at t.p.m. today at the Hashinger Hall front porch. Call Allyson Flaster at 864-4091. Hashinger Arts Council will present Safe Sex, a play by Harvey Stein, at 7:30 tonight and tomorrow night at the Hashinger Hall Theatre. Call Phillip Vocasek at 312-1230. ET CETERA The University Daily Kansas (ISSN 0746-9462) is published at the University of Kansas, 119 Stauffer-Flint Hall, Lawrence, Kan. 66045, daily during the regular school year, excluding Saturday, Sunday, holidays and finals periods, and Wednesday during the summer session. Periodical postage is paid in Lawrence, Kan. 66044. Annual subscriptions by mail are $120. Student subscriptions of $2.33 are paid through the student activity fee. Postmaster: Send address changes to the University Daily Kansan, 119 Stauffer-Flint Hall, Lawrence, Kan. 66045. The Kansan prints campus events that are free and open to the public. When information is submitted, the event's sponsor, name and phone number must be on the form, which is available in the On Campus mailbox in the Kansan newsroom, 111 Stauffer-Flint Hall. Items must be turned in two days in advance of the desired publication date. Forms can also be filled out online at www.kansan.com — these requests will appear on Kansan.com as well as the Kansan. On Campus is printed on a space-available basis. On Campus is a free service provided by the Kansan to the University community. Big, Fast & Fun GRAND PRIZE! Expense paid weekend, Including: - Accommodation for 4 people! - Accommodation for 4 people! - Wave the Green Flag for qualifying runs! - Stand in the Winners Circle in Live TV! REGISTER AT EITHER LAWRENCE LOCATIONS! 15TH & KASOLD 841-8444 Register here to win a FREE Winston Cup WEEKEND Over 100 Winners will receive tickets for the SOLD OUT Mr. Goodcents 300 Nascar Busch Series at the Nascar Winston Cup September 28th,29th,& 30th Mr. Goodcents 300 32ND & IOWA 843-8400