10 Thursday, September 18, 1986 / University Daily Kansan Saberhagen may face pay cut after poor year The Associated Press KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Pitcher Bret Saberhagen, who won the 1985 American League Cy Young award and helped the Kansas City Royals to the World Series championship, has fallen on hard times this season, raising questions about his intensity and the possibility of a pay cut next year. Saberhagen, a 23-year-old right-hander, said he wouldn't be very happy with a cut in his salary, which rose from $160,000 in 1983 to $925,000 this year after arbitration. But Royals general manager John Schuerholz implied that prospect in an interview published yesterday in the Kansas City Star. "If you can get about an $800,000 raise for an exemplary season — and I'm not talking just about Bret Saberhagen — then everybody has to be prepared for what happens if you don't have that kind of year," Schuerholz said. Baseball rules allow a maximum pay cut of 20 percent — to $740,000 in Saberhagen's case. "I wouldn't be too happy with it," Saberhagen said of a 20 percent cut. "Every time out there, I've gone out and given 110 percent whether I'm hurting or not... If you are going out there and trying and putting out 110 percent, you should be rewarded for that. My record really doesn't indicate the way I have pitched." Dennis Gilbert, Saberhagen's agent, has said the player had some good negotiating ideas. Saberhagen, who never lost two straight games in 1965, probably will finish 1986 not having won in two straight appearances. His record is 6-10. He finished the regular season last year at 20-6, winning two games during the World Series as the Royals beat the St. Louis Cardinals. He was named Most Valuable Player in the Series. Ironically, Saberhagen has pitched the best game of any Royal this season. April 16 he shut out the Boston Red Sox 1-0 on two hits in Fenway Park and walked only one. "Everything's happened so easy (before)." Saberhagen said. Series, he pitched 260% innings in 1985, after 165% in 1984. "This year, I had to work a little bit more. I struggled a little bit. My motion kind of fell apart. Before, it just all came so easy. I was always doing the right things." Counting the playoffs and World This year has been a litany of hard times, culminating in a spot on the disabled list because of a sore right shoulder after a start in New York on Bret Saberhagen Aug. 9. Since coming off the disabled list Sept. 1, Saberhagen has made two relief appearances — two innings on Sept. 6 and one on Sept. 14 — giving him some indication that his shoulder was sound. However, Saberhagen has experienced discomfort across the top of his right foot since spring training. The exact nature of his foot problems have not be identified. But Saberhagen said he saw a silver lining through this season's gloom. "Maybe this kind of year is going to help me in the future to deal with this kind of thing," he said. "I've never had a slump or whatever you want to call it — a bad year. Never. It'll make me be able to adapt to situations that are different and to be able to deal with things a little bit better." Schuerholz said he did not know whether Saberhagen was ready to make the mental commitment necessary for baseball success. The Kansas women's softball team will play this weekend in a round-robin tournament at Lincoln. Neb. KU softball team to compete in NU weekend round-robin The Jayhawks will play teams from Nebraska, Illinois State, Iowa State and Kearney State. "The games this weekend will give us a chance to compete against some Division I teams." KU head coach Bob Stanclift said yesterday, "so we'll know a lot more about ourselves afterward." Stancilf said yesterday that there were some players out with injuries and illnesses, which might affect the team's performance this weekend. He said he wouldn't be sure who would make the trip to Nebraska until later. Sports Briefs The Nebraska tournament will be the first real test for the Javhawks this season. Stanciff said. On Sunday, the team won all five of the games it played in a tournament against Kansas junior colleges, but that tournament was mainly for practice. Rugby team to play in Aspen The Kansas rugby team will travel to Aspen, Colo., this weekend to play in one of the "premier rugby tournaments in the country," said head coach Bill Mills. The top 25 players from the varsity and club teams will combine to make up the tournament team. Mills said he was taking 25 players because the tournament would be strenuous. The team will play five matches in two days. Sixteen of the best teams in the United States will compete in the Aspen tournament, Mills said. This is the third year Kansas has been invited to the tournament, he said, but KU has never won the event. "We hope to do well this year," Mills said. "We're taking a good team, probably the best we've ever taken, but the competition will be tough." Becker loses to American Jayhawk quote of the week Purcell, a 27-year-old from Murray, Ky. posted a 7.5, 2.6, 7-6 (7-3) victory over the world's No. 2 player during the second round of the tournament at Hamburg's Red Tree Courts. HAMBURG, West Germany — Two-time Wimbledon champion Boris Becker was eliminated from the $15,000 German Open yesterday with a three-set loss to Mel Corpul. Kansas linebacker Rick Bredesen on why he prefers to play defense: "I like linebacker a lot better. I like to be the hunter, not the hunted." Leaders threaten to pull tennis from '88 Olympics United Press International SEOUL, South Korea — International Tennis Federation President Philippe Chatrier has threatened to pull his sport out of the 1988 Olympics if the world's top players are barred from competing. "We want everybody or we won't play," Chartier said yesterday. "We are returning to the Olympics after a 64-year absence and we want the best tournament possible, as good as a Grand Slam event." Chatrier is in Seoul for the general assembly of the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations. The International Olympic Committee executive board Monday passed a series of recommendations from its eligibility commission to put before the full IOC membership at next month's session in Lausanne, Switzerland. The commission, which met in Stuttgart, West Germany, Aug. 29, proposed throwing tennis open, thereby allowing players such as Ivan Lendl, Boris Becker and John It also proposed changes in ice hockey, lifting the ban on National Hockey League players and paving the way for the likes of Wayne Gretzky to represent their country. The Executive Board approved the report without discussion, but the real battle will be fought in Lausanne. The commission also proposed that professional riders should be allowed to compete in the equestrian events. Many of the Eastern bloc IOC members are against further liberalization, and pushing tennis through could prove difficult. The United States National Olympic Committee also has voiced its opposition in a rare show of solidarity with the eastern countries. Most opponents are concerned with the influence of tennis managers, saying players have surrendered much of their independence and are not under the full control of the International Tennis Federation. McEnroe to compete in the Olympics. Thurs. 11 a.m.- 11 p.m. Fri. & Sat. 11 a.m.- midnight Taco Burgers...$.75 reg. $.99 Held Over by Popular Demand! The Picture Works 13th & Haskell 6th & Kasold 6th & Kasold The blond athlete, in a grey dress and jacket, listened intently and showed no emotion when Mitchellson described her as "a woman of exceptional strength — much greater strength than Mr. Seitz, who is 5-foot-11 and weighs 190 pounds." 5 x 7*9.9f 8 x 10*1.99 11 x 14*1.99 "Twin Prints"*FREE *From color negative only* 20th 30th "She bent his hand back, she arm wrestled him and she bent his left arm back like a pretzel," Mitchelson told the jury. "Then she took the film out of the camera and exposed it." Court testimony begins in suit against Navratilova United Press International Best known as a celebrity palimony attorney, Mitchellson said Navratilova then "viciously assaulted" Seitz. Suddenly, Navratilova "started to sprint toward him. She grabbed the camera off his left shoulder," Mitchelson said. RIVERHEAD, N.Y. — Attorney Marvin Mitchelson told a jury yesterday that tennis star Martina Navratilova became furious and viciously assaulted a photographer when he snapped her picture after a losing match. Sept. 8th-30th Mitchelson made the accusation in his opening statement at the state Supreme Court trial in Suffolk County, where Navratilva is being sued for $2 million by freelance photographer Arthur Seitz of Fort Lauderdale, Fla. "The truth is that Mr. Seitz was not match for her." Mitchelson said. Navratilova's lawyer, Edward Hart, gave a different account of the incident at the 1982 U.S. Open tennis tournament in Flushing Meadows and portrayed his client as "a devastated athlete harassed" by Seitz. Navratilova, who has won three U.S. Open titles since the incident, is countersuit for $4.5 million, charging Seitz with invasion of privacy when he took her photograph after her defeat by Pam Shriver in the quarterfinals of the 1982 tournament. After Navratilva lost the match, Mitchelson said Seitz and other photographers were waiting to photograph her outside the center playing court. KWALITY COMICS SCIENCE FICTION COMIC BOOKS • GAMES 1111 Massasau Ave. 841-729-9 Taco Grande Two locations: 1721 W. 23rd 9th & Indiana During a lunch break, Navratilova emerged from the courtroom and told reporters, "The only thing I can say is that at no time did I attempt to harass or injure Mr. Seitz." Mitchelson, however, told the jury that as a result of the attack, Seitz underwent surgery on his left shoulder and left elbow. "The medical bills will exceed $50,000," he said. Mitchelson added that Seitz suffered from tendinitis, which he said could only be corrected through future surgery. "There was no provocation of any kind on the part of Mr. Seitz, no hounding of Miss Navratilova," Mitchell said, noting that the photograph was shot on public property. Navratilova's attorney countered, saying Seitz "stalked her" and "invaded her personal space." Hart said Navratilova, 29, was "devastated" by her loss to Shriver, and Seitz, who the lawyer said did not photograph the match itself, wanted to capitalize on her pain. 50° Pitchers 11 a.m.-3 a.m. $1 cover Also try our Prime Rib Special for $6.95 the Sanctuary 7th & Michigan reciprocal with over 300 clubs 843-0540 BECOME PART OF THE TRADITION! Working with the Kansas Relays can be an exciting and rewarding experience. Applications will be accepted through Friday, September 26. Interviews will be conducted the following two weeks. Stop by the Kansas Track Office, room 143 Allen Field House today and fill out an application. This committee is instrumental to the organization and administration of one the nations oldest and most prestigious Track and Field Meets. New Location Applications are now being accepted for new members of the STUDENT RELAYS COMMITTEE. LEVEL 4 IN THE KANSAS UNION GRAND REOPENING CELEBRATION The Kansas Relays Are Coming!! 15% OFF EVERYTHING IN THE STORE (EXCLUDING SALE ITEMS) SPECIAL GOOD THRU SATURDAY 9/20 New Location BEST SELECTION-BEST PRICES DENON -compact disc player "Award Winning Unit" $328 (introductory offer) other models available at $399-$549-$649 KIEF'S DISCOUNT RECORDS AUDIO/VIDEO the GRAMOPHONE shop 25th & IOWA LAWRENCE, KS (913) 842-1811